Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

this is a good reason to buy up lots of leather/cloth from traders, along with needing to replace clothes sometimes

See also: do not use up all bones or shells decorating, and don't cut all rough gems. Who knows when it might be wanted for a mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also make or buy some metal bars ASAP. I had a guy go berserk when he failed a mood due to not having any metal bars on hand.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
My Fisherdwarf got murdered by a Giant Aardvark. The Fortress named the Aardvark, then rallied everyone to kill it. They then made a memorial slab to the Aardvark instead of Fisherdwarf.

The Memorial does say "Slayer of [Fisherdwarf]" so he is sort of memorialized but not in the way he would have wanted.

pisshead posted:

This is how I did it:

Quoting this so I can save it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only strange mood I've had so far the dwarf made a pair of wood and stone earrings, which was incredibly convenient so thank you dwarf.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Athanatos posted:

My Fisherdwarf got murdered by a Giant Aardvark. The Fortress named the Aardvark, then rallied everyone to kill it. They then made a memorial slab to the Aardvark instead of Fisherdwarf.

The Memorial does say "Slayer of [Fisherdwarf]" so he is sort of memorialized but not in the way he would have wanted.

Quoting this so I can save it.

All I can imagine is this thing vacuuming the fisherdwarf up its nose like a cartoon

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just to doublecheck milking animals is done automatically right

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Stairmaster posted:

just to doublecheck milking animals is done automatically right

I don't think so. I set up a repeating order to milk all my animals and make cheese from the milk.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah you need to set up perpetual work orders for farmer's workshop tasks like shearing, milking, spinning, etc.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I don't know if I have any one single story that is interesting enough, I've been playing a bit slow and trying to wrap my head around everything. My fort is currently on its 5th year and I've been stupidly excited by it, since my previous attempts pre-Steam version rarely got anywhere. Here's a collection of any noteworthy things that have happened!

I got a notification that my initial expedition leader had been found dead. Poking around, I finally found him stuck up a tree with a dwarven child, who was dying of hunger and thirst. I have no idea how they got up there. After puzzling over it a bit, I couldn't really figure out how to get them down, aside from just chopping down the tree. I feared this would end up with a terribly injured dwarven child, but Operation: Tree Chop was a success, the child was not injured, the body was retrieved and buried properly, and the elves, who had shown up and set up shop at my trade depot right at the base of the tree, were unbothered. I had worried they might take offense to the tree chopping right next to them, and also worried that the elf queen consort or whoever it said they were was going to get smushed by a falling dwarf and incite a war we were not ready for, but all was well!

About two years in I started to notice a whole lot of vomit happening. I was not too concerned, but then the deaths started. Six or seven all told. I still didn't have a hospital set up and wasn't sure what was going on. I couldn't seem to catch the owners of the vomit in the act of vomiting to see who was responsible before they turned up dead. I carved a stone to a couple just to see if I could figure out causes of death, and they all said they died from suffocation. I tried to look on the Internet to see what would cause suffocation, but nothing that I saw seemed to fit. Finally found one that said having multiple tavernkeepers could potentially be what was causing it, allowing the poor dwarves to drink too much? I had set up four or five tavernkeeps just to give some new migrants something to do and had thought nothing of it. Removed all the tavernkeeps and the suffocation deaths have stopped. I still see random vomit from time to time and find some dwarves that are nauseous/unconscious, but so far it's never progressed to deaths again.

Finally had my first siege! Just 6 or 7 goblins, but all armored (most of my dwarves were not). I sent my one trained squad to stand guard around the entrance stairs, made a very quick second squad that I stationed just below them as a bit of a last resort, and shoved everyone else into a safety burrow. My dwarves did better than I had expected, all things considered, killing two goblins outside and badly injuring the rest, but all but one dwarf of that main squad died, including the militia commander, as did all five of the war dogs and some puppies. Two injured goblins got inside the fort, but that secondary squad of complete greenhorns took them out. My dwarves were cleaning up puppy teeth for days. Thankfully I had a hospital with a well built by this point, no soap, but everyone seems to have recovered decently. I now have two squads in training, and smiths working on better gear.

I got curious last night and poked into legends mode just to see if there was anything interesting of note. So far, I've seen that the limonite crown artifact made by one of the dwarf children was apparently 'claimed from afar' by everyone and their auntie. Just a seriously long list all wanting that thing. We also somehow managed to destroy a pair of legendary steel greaves that someone brought to the fort with them without me ever noticing? Seriously no idea how that happened. I would have loved legendary steel greaves! And the solid, steady militia commander who went down fighting in that siege? Had apparently murdered a dwarf in a previous settlement and used their bones for crafting. Yikes.

I'm about at the point where the haphazard layout of the fort is starting to bug me; I just sort of built things when the tutorial told me to, and everything else was a bit piecemeal with no real planning or thought. We also don't really have an entrance that is easy to protect. Might try exploring the caverns on this file for a bit just to see what's what and then start a new game with my newfound knowledge. :dance:

Don't know if any of that is interesting enough for a gang tag, but if it is, hit me up!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Just for the record I love all stories about this stupid game so don't worry too much

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the line "My dwarves were cleaning up puppy teeth for days" definitely earns the tag lol

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
New to DF but I've heard the framerate thing late game can get rough. Is one way to end a fort not through flooding or magma or Forgotten Beasts, but 5 fps making it unplayable so you just retire it? Seems like that might be the fate of my current fort, which is a bummer because it was going really well. 175 pop. Making some progress eliminating elves around me via military missions. Found a modest cavern, then around z level -15 found a hole that seems to go alllllll the way down, with small pockets around the hole and a lot of mining to do. I assume this many extra z levels and dwarves running around is what's killing my frames?

Edit: 30 seconds after I post this a Forgotten Beast shows up. Is the game trying to do some population control for me?

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Tiny story (but I don't think I'm gonna hit anything more grand before the gangtag deadline, I'd love a gangtag if possible!!)

My fortress' children are all getting constantly re-traumatised by the sight of the skeletal remains of a giant that attacked a few years back (the invasion lasted all of a minute before our axedwarves cut it to shreds). Every time they see it they're reminded of the terror they felt when it first arrived.

I tried to haul it inside to make it into a hat to no avail, but now none of the dwarves will touch it. Like these kids are absolutely petrified of it too. They just get more and more spooked every time they pass it. One of the kids entered a fey mood and made a toy axe that they keep on themselves at all times. Possibly to defend themself if it ever comes back.

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 13, 2022

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I gave up trying to make marksdwarves work. Instead just setup a squad of six with metal uniform. I had abundant copper and have been turning my trees into charcoal, so forging up six sets of copper armor and an assortment of copper weapons was pretty easy. Soon enough my small squad were training away and when we struck cavern and a couple troglodytes wandered in, they were pretty handily dispatched.

Not long after, three goblin snatchers arrived, and apparently were intent on stealing our children. On one hand, we have an abundance of children and honestly I wouldn't mind fewer... but on the other hand I expected their parents to react poorly, so Earthen Evisceration, Channelproblems elite fighting force was dispatched.

Of course with combat comes injury, so I had been building out a hospital. With nobody medically qualified and a huge overstock of fish, I appointed Cerol Akgosmorul, Fisherdwarf as my Chief Medical Dwarf. This was probably not optimal.

As luck with have it, soon after some migrants arrived, including Dastot Lolorodur, Dwarf Doctor Necromancer. She's a Talented Surgeon, Proficient Diagnostician, Novice Wound Dresser, and Novice Bone Doctor.... and a Necromancer. Clearly this is just what we needed.

Silly UX question -- is there any way to flip through the detailed view of all my dwarves? Right now I can pull up the list, click the magnifying glass to get the detailed view, then dismiss that and start over. Pretty slow going...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I present to the thread a one word story that I'm sure many of you have experienced as well:

"Oops"

If this is good enough gimme a gangtag

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

No Dale, go home! I left you underground in the last fort! Leave!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I gotta say the tension of a Forgotten Beast appearing is maximum when the game is running 6 fps.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Watching moonmoon's twitch stream and one of his dwarves gave birth while fighting goblins

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

A visiting baron got killed by a mountain titan and dropped the symbol of his barony, a artifact short sword:

I assigned it to one of my swords dwarfs but I noticed a couple years later he wasn't using it at training, it turns out that barony has a new baroness and she collected it while visiting one of my temples :mad:

update: on a later visit she's run into a enemy siege force while trying to leave

:madmax:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yo what the gently caress I only have 4 plump helmets left, you thieving assholes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cats, they can't help but chase birds. :rolleyes:

Two dwarves in my military had their pets come along for the combat; they managed get out of the fight completely unscathed and seemed to do quite a bit of damage. A speardwarf landed the final blow, but I imagine the Roc was having a really bad time with two cats latched onto it's throat for the entire combat.

I'd really like a gang tag if they are still being offered!

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 13, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Macdoo posted:

I tried to haul it inside to make it into a hat to no avail, but now none of the dwarves will touch it. Like these kids are absolutely petrified of it too. They just get more and more spooked every time they pass it. One of the kids entered a fey mood and made a toy axe that they keep on themselves at all times. Possibly to defend themself if it ever comes back.

Goddamn this is a good game.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I was looking into a bard who petitioned to join my fortress (I usually check to see if they have any interesting skills whatsoever, and send them on their way if they don't). This guy came in holding a scroll, so I looked into it. On the Author was a 17-page essay about the authoring of a different work, written by... the guy holding the essay. Okay, what was this other work he had written?

A poem, that was absolutely terrible. Furthermore, the poetic form the poem was written in was a literal one-liner, usually about war. His "poem" was about tranquility.

I like to imagine he wrote something like, "peace is good, actually," got universally panned, and then wrote a 17-page essay to defend himself. He'd probably be a twitter user if that was a thing in dwarven times.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had nothing going on yesterday so I played this game for about 10-12 hours yesterday and think I'm gonna have to take a break from this dumb thing. An ettin attacked before I stopped today and killed the visiting human merchant and my dwarves immediately vacuum'd up all their stock and the guards didn't seem to mind so now I have 800 food. Was really expecting that to turn out much worse.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ElTacoGato posted:

About two years in I started to notice a whole lot of vomit happening. I was not too concerned, but then the deaths started. Six or seven all told. I still didn't have a hospital set up and wasn't sure what was going on. I couldn't seem to catch the owners of the vomit in the act of vomiting to see who was responsible before they turned up dead. I carved a stone to a couple just to see if I could figure out causes of death, and they all said they died from suffocation. I tried to look on the Internet to see what would cause suffocation, but nothing that I saw seemed to fit. Finally found one that said having multiple tavernkeepers could potentially be what was causing it, allowing the poor dwarves to drink too much? I had set up four or five tavernkeeps just to give some new migrants something to do and had thought nothing of it. Removed all the tavernkeeps and the suffocation deaths have stopped. I still see random vomit from time to time and find some dwarves that are nauseous/unconscious, but so far it's never progressed to deaths again.

FYI they were choking on their own vomit, presumably. That's often how you die from binge drinking. Nobody rolling them on their sides!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
For people having issues with dorfs not cleaning up bodies, "undesignating and redesignating the tomb zone" seems to be the DF version of turning it off and on again

I had a brave wardog rotting on the main bridge while I tried everything I could to convince someone, anyone, to inter it, and ultimately just deleting the tomb zone + recreating it made someone run out and pick it up immediately

given the previous issue with stockpiles I had, I'm getting the impression that there's a fair number of these sort of things just lurking and waiting for you to stop paying attention long enough to strike

e: Is there a "good" way to set up pure wardog sentries to deal with these kea thefts? chain them up in the hallways, pasture + zone them, set up single-dwarf squads with 10 dogs to patrol the entryway?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV8iDLcQHGA

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I walled off the caverns I hit because I didn't want to deal with them when I opened them and now it's a real poo poo show down there. There's three different forgotten beasts wandering around, eating crundles and troglodytes and occasionally attacking each other. It's just a constant combat alert on the left side of my screen.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, I kill a lot of dwarfs with collapses. Poor miners.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clocks posted:

I was looking into a bard who petitioned to join my fortress (I usually check to see if they have any interesting skills whatsoever, and send them on their way if they don't). This guy came in holding a scroll, so I looked into it. On the Author was a 17-page essay about the authoring of a different work, written by... the guy holding the essay. Okay, what was this other work he had written?

A poem, that was absolutely terrible. Furthermore, the poetic form the poem was written in was a literal one-liner, usually about war. His "poem" was about tranquility.

I like to imagine he wrote something like, "peace is good, actually," got universally panned, and then wrote a 17-page essay to defend himself. He'd probably be a twitter user if that was a thing in dwarven times.

df twitter is just the poo poo they scribble on the wall

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone else having issues with all dwarves doing medical work? My doctors are all poo poo because they can't practice.

Also, this poor wretch took a bolt to the leg and went down first thing, then got seal clubbed by my hammerers.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

FYI they were choking on their own vomit, presumably. That's often how you die from binge drinking. Nobody rolling them on their sides!

Well, that's fun.

Need to hang posters up around the tavern I guess, instructing dwarves to prop a buddy up to avoid this.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I walled off the caverns I hit because I didn't want to deal with them when I opened them and now it's a real poo poo show down there. There's three different forgotten beasts wandering around, eating crundles and troglodytes and occasionally attacking each other. It's just a constant combat alert on the left side of my screen.

my third cavern layer has a forgotten beast spider that has killed 4 other forgotten beasts (and counting). the fact they are incredibly fast and can punch things with up to 8 legs at once is pretty wild, probably never going in there.

Robo Reagan posted:

df twitter is just the poo poo they scribble on the wall

:hmmyes:

GruntyThrst posted:

Anyone else having issues with all dwarves doing medical work? My doctors are all poo poo because they can't practice.

Set your orderlies to be specific dwarves instead of being done by everyone? And make sure within the hospital zone the "best" dwarves for the job are set up as a doctor + diagnostician.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mr E posted:

I had nothing going on yesterday so I played this game for about 10-12 hours yesterday and think I'm gonna have to take a break from this dumb thing. An ettin attacked before I stopped today and killed the visiting human merchant and my dwarves immediately vacuum'd up all their stock and the guards didn't seem to mind so now I have 800 food. Was really expecting that to turn out much worse.

I'm sure everything will be fine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Elves are really frustrating. "Oh how dare you deliver all these tons of goods we asked for in a WOODEN BOX! TRADE REJECTED!"

I am going to just start killing elven caravans when they arrive :colbert: Gotta do something with this giant magma forge and enormous steel stockpile

wilderthanmild posted:

Man, I kill a lot of dwarfs with collapses. Poor miners.

You can turn off collapses in the Settings -> Game menu :kiddo: Along with a bunch of other helpful things like population limits, baby limits, etc.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

Must be the antmen...

hahaha this got me. but i also really do wonder, this crash in particular i saw happened right as i was clicking to zoom to some antman activity. i might actually try to turn invasions off while i reclaim the fortress with a new warrior squad and see if that stops the periodic crashing.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Elves are really frustrating. "Oh how dare you deliver all these tons of goods we asked for in a WOODEN BOX! TRADE REJECTED!"

I am going to just start killing elven caravans when they arrive :colbert: Gotta do something with this giant magma forge and enormous steel stockpile

You can turn off collapses in the Settings -> Game menu :kiddo: Along with a bunch of other helpful things like population limits, baby limits, etc.

Yeah, they're annoying as gently caress. They also won't take bone or leather goods either now. Just pump out stone crafts and chuck it at them till they give all their food.

Or just dump lava on them. Either or. Accidents happen.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, but part of the fun is having dumb stuff kill my dwarves.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Found an interesting embark area -- with a 5x5 square, I can put a fort on haunted, mirthful, and wild territory, and I can squeeze in a little bit of a stream, too. Access to all civs (except kobolds -- they tend to die out for some reason), plus metal and flux.

How bad is going from 4x4 to 5x5 for performance? I've heard mixed things about total space vs. moving objects (embarking with half the map on an ocean seemed to slow things down, despite nothing really happening or living in it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Reloaded a save when this happened and also a guy went insane and died (got beat up) because I couldn't figure out what he wanted for his strange mood. Not making that mistake again!

I figured out the strange mood and had to make a leatherworker, butcher, and tanner and he made a super yak leather helm and another guy made a super yak bone helm. Good as hell.