Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’ve noticed NHD has taken a lighter touch since he had his little mini meltdown at me a week or so ago so maybe he’s trending in the right direction, I’m not holding my breath though but we’ll see, benefit of doubts for now

I think majorian is generally a good poster and has the potential to do a good job but should probably just let threads deal with people being annoying unless it becomes overwhelming. Some of the best melt downs happen when people get stuck in that negative feedback loop and cutting it off with probes should be limited to people who go absolutely insane like when xtal did their thing in the podcast thread (and everywhere else they posted)

Just my two cents though

:same: although I always fear I might cross her and end up on the wrong side of it

You're right about me, and I apologize for getting confrontational with you. I have some things going on in the background that made me a little quick to engage when instead I could have just ignored you or made a joke. Sorry about that, I'll try to regulate how I post more in the future.

Edit: though I did hit a new bench PR with the extra energy :].

NeatHeteroDude has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

You're right about me, and I apologize for getting confrontational with you. I have some things going on in the background that made me a little quick to engage when instead I could have just ignored you or made a joke. Sorry about that, I'll try to regulate how I post more in the future.

Edit: though I did hit a new bench PR with the extra energy :].

It’s all good. It’s not like my joke was particularly funny and probably intentionally a bit aggro, I’d rather post in peace than in conflict anyway

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

paul_soccer12 posted:

Something has to be do e about all the trolling going on here. It's time to fight back against the trolls
Oh, is that what you and the rest of the T.T.B.B. (Trump Thread Bully Brigade) calls Targeted Harassment, :airquote: Trolling :airquote:
:rolleyes:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Have you ever known somebody who has bad discipline with their dogs? And you go into their house and it smells terrible but they don’t even realize it stinks because they’re accustomed to it?

i think the mods are doing a pretty decent job of balancing this lately. gotta walk a fine line where the people handing out punishments understand what the thread's vibe is, but also don't get so caught up in deflecting outside criticism that really wild stuff snowballs. never gonna be to everyone's liking

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

redneck nazgul posted:

i agree wholeheartedly, which is why we need to get rid of the cspam insular chat threads because people just don't feel comfortable walking into threads and insulting the regulars

redneck nazgul posted:

it is a goddamn crime that the only place that lets me make fun of cspam posters is drama threads posted in other forums, the mods should all be fired into the sun so i can do more victory laps and be one of the cool kids

Why don't you just say what you mean instead of posting passive aggressively?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think majorian is generally a good poster and has the potential to do a good job but should probably just let threads deal with people being annoying unless it becomes overwhelming. Some of the best melt downs happen when people get stuck in that negative feedback loop and cutting it off with probes should be limited to people who go absolutely insane like when xtal did their thing in the podcast thread (and everywhere else they posted)

Thanks, that's good feedback. I usually try to follow a "less-is-more" strategy when it comes to moderating, but I fully admit that I strayed from that a bit last week and used my buttons more than I should have. Sorry about that, folks. I'll go back to using a lighter touch unless it's necessary to do otherwise.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

Thanks, that's good feedback. I usually try to follow a "less-is-more" strategy when it comes to moderating, but I fully admit that I strayed from that a bit last week and used my buttons more than I should have. Sorry about that, folks. I'll go back to using a lighter touch unless it's necessary to do otherwise.

The way I look at it from the perspective of someone who neither has nor wants buttons it can be pretty funny when someone successfully trolls a thread and it’s often funny when a would-be troll gets batted around by thread regulars. It sucks when I get trolled but it’s usually my fault for taking bait. That was a big part of why the old Glenn thread stayed an entertaining read for as long as it did, although I guess it fell apart in the end. For me I feel like the line is more when someone starts getting serious main character syndrome. That’s when it starts getting tedious. But it takes a while to get to that point. Honestly it’s a pretty fine line to walk and I’m not jealous of people who try to find the line and it’s easy to armchair moderate from the sidelines since the stakes are low.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
probations should only be used to immortalize funny, good, or hilarious bad posts people make

idk how mods dont know this

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you know it before you become mod but then it's like you just forget

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We should issue more probes

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

probations should only be used to immortalize funny, good, or hilarious bad posts people make

idk how mods dont know this

would be interesting to try that out in earnest for a little while, but it's certainly not the current approach.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bring back :toxx: threads

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

never apologize for your thread, muskers.... first mistake.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

you may think you have the trump thread padlocked but trump posters are like raccoons, we will find a way to get at that garbage

oh no the posters already in there. the padlock is on the inside

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

just be aware that if you see a trump thread poster out and about in the daytime, approaching people fearlessly, it's probably rabies

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mawarannahr posted:

The main issue right now is Majorian. NeatHeteroDude has shown a lot of growth. Maybe they could set up a kind of big brother system?

It's true that Majorian is still hitting their stride in terms of their moderation style but this is inhumane.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't think the climate change thread is insular at all, and I don't understand why anyone has a problem with it.

yeah its not. and neither is the trump thread, its probably the friendliest thread in cspam. people seem to have weird opinions about threads they, i assume, don't actually read?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I for one have faith that Majorian will learn from his many, many humiliating failures and emerge from the crucible as the cruel, callous and capricious mod this subforum necessitates

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

if you(mods) give in to dumb babies pissing and moaning about mean posts on the fyad lite politics forum then we're just going to have to keep making fyad liter versions of those very forums. where does it end...

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CODChimera posted:

yeah its not. and neither is the trump thread, its probably the friendliest thread in cspam. people seem to have weird opinions about threads they, i assume, don't actually read?

I've never read the Trump thread before but people kept going on and on about it so I had a look. They're not really talking about Trump in there. But they do seem to be enjoying themselves and each other.

So yeah, no idea why it's in CSPAM.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

CODChimera posted:

as a bad poster, I've kramered into all sorts of threads, and the trump thread posters were cool, as were the biosphere posters. imo, the covid thread seemed the least welcoming of new people I saw posting there, but maybe because of how often they've been bad faith concern troll motte and baileyed by "outsiders"

just my opinion though, which, like my posts, is probably dogshit

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only thread that was ever so bad it cratered into the ground was the cool zone and even it had its moments early on

speng31b
May 8, 2010

no thread is actually as bad as the parody of its worst moments, but those moments sure are funny

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
bring back cool zone

I don't want to post in it but I think we should bring it back

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

500 good dogs posted:

bring back cool zone

I don't want to post in it but I think we should bring it back

id like to see how many posters lost their mind in that thread

same with the gun thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bring back the witchcraft thread

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

bring back the witchcraft thread

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

id like to see how many posters lost their mind in that thread

same with the gun thread

well basically it started off as a fun protest-watching thread and then it turned into a daily referendum on the ethics of anarchist autonomous zones, basically this every day

and then it kept sliding downhill from there

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

well basically it started off as a fun protest-watching thread and then it turned into a daily referendum on the ethics of anarchist autonomous zones, basically this every day

and then it kept sliding downhill from there

wow

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly apart from majorian the moderation around here is a million times better now than it was in the twoday/crusty nutsack era of just stumbling around automatically making the dumbest and most embarrassing decision in every possible situation. gj everyone

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bring back the erotica thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

also some self-appointed security guards shot two kids for the crime of driving while black and the posters celebrated their accuracy and noted stupid piece of poo poo Elise the Great, a "black bloc antifa street medic" wrote a bunch of posts explaining that they were correct to immediately hose some 15 year olds with bullets and then cover it up because maybe they were in a gang??? They might have been about to do a drive-by!!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bring back the erotica thread

the what thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the what thread

you truly do not want to know

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the what thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939718

speng31b
May 8, 2010

some plague rats posted:

also some self-appointed security guards shot two kids for the crime of driving while black and the posters celebrated their accuracy and noted stupid piece of poo poo Elise the Great, a "black bloc antifa street medic" wrote a bunch of posts explaining that they were correct to immediately hose some 15 year olds with bullets and then cover it up because maybe they were in a gang??? They might have been about to do a drive-by!!

o_O

O_O

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

oh noooo dude. no.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

that op makes me want to shoot myself in the head

e: lmao its where this post is from

Its Chocolate posted:

IK edit: If you have to indicate that a historical figure that died as a teenager is now of age in heaven, you just shouldn't go there.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

that op makes me want to shoot myself in the head

e: lmao its where this post is from

seriously, if you die as jailbait then jailbait you stay forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush