Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

roomtone posted:

i hadn't considered that.

phones themselves aren't a huge problem for me i just liked the idea of paring down specifically because i don't use it that much, but since it seems like it's going to be more of an annoyance than it's worth, forget it!

I was looking for a dumbphone for the same reasons as you, and ended up settling for the Samsung A03s. Cost just a bit more than a new dumbphone, but has a watered down OS for weaker hardware, and way less bloatware.

It didn't really solve the problem, but I can still do smartphone things when I need it to, and I'm discouraged from doing much else because the hardware is weak. I don't know if that helps you, but at the very least, it's cheap enough to avoid buyers remorse, and I'm frankly blown away with what it can do—it's covers the basics easily.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I dropped my Pixel 4a and the headphone jack is bust. When I plug a pair of headphones, the sound continues to play on the speakers.

Would it be safe to buy a renewed one from Amazon? I don't want to spend too much money. :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i'm replacing my google pixel 2 because it's about time, my battery health is at 44%, and it doesn' thave 5G, which sucks because it's a dope rear end phone with an incredible camera.

my most important consideration is battery life, and I would PREFER to keep it in the Android universe, but I've heard nothing but terrible things about Pixels and battery life for years.

i've seen reviews of the Zenfone 9 that speak of its battery life as superb but I've also heard its camera is just very bad. Not sure that trade is ideal for me, but I'm not a power user either, I mainly use my phone as a comms device and a forums reader / podcasts+Spotify. I don't want to drop $900 on an iPhone but if the 13 pro's battery life is really THAT GOOD I could be convinced.

any other phones I should be considering? preferably $700 or so?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i'm replacing my google pixel 2 because it's about time, my battery health is at 44%, and it doesn' thave 5G, which sucks because it's a dope rear end phone with an incredible camera.

my most important consideration is battery life, and I would PREFER to keep it in the Android universe, but I've heard nothing but terrible things about Pixels and battery life for years.

i've seen reviews of the Zenfone 9 that speak of its battery life as superb but I've also heard its camera is just very bad. Not sure that trade is ideal for me, but I'm not a power user either, I mainly use my phone as a comms device and a forums reader / podcasts+Spotify. I don't want to drop $900 on an iPhone but if the 13 pro's battery life is really THAT GOOD I could be convinced.

any other phones I should be considering? preferably $700 or so?

Don’t buy a Zenfone , especially since I think it’s made by Asus.

Just buy a pixel 7, or a pixel 6 on discount if you find that. Or a 6A if cost is a big concern.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Don’t buy a Zenfone , especially since I think it’s made by Asus.

Just buy a pixel 7, or a pixel 6 on discount if you find that. Or a 6A if cost is a big concern.

i mean every review talks about how the pixel 7 battery is "disappointing" or "lackluster" so I'm leery is all

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i mean every review talks about how the pixel 7 battery is "disappointing" or "lackluster" so I'm leery is all

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/pixel-7-pro-review-google-makes-refinements-to-the-best-android-phone/

The review is both funny because Ron spends half the article basically lamenting on what he wishes is the perfect phone, and then at the end is like “yeah this is the best android phone.”

Pixel 7 by far is the best android phone right now. Samsung galaxy is good but new galaxy phones are probably slated for feb or march so not the best time to buy new there.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah um that just makes it sound like it sucks?? Idk I’m still pretty torn.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What expectations do you have for battery life? I've never had any battery issues with my Pixel 6a.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah um that just makes it sound like it sucks?? Idk I’m still pretty torn.

Well, that’s just more all android phones suck and have some flaws. Sorry but it’s true.

There’s only 2 android phones to buy: Google Pixel or Samsung Galaxy (unless your budget is like, $150-200).

For that specific review, Ron Amadeo is the Ars resident android reviewer for years, and I think he’s hitting a breaking point from having to complain about the same things over and over again lol. He approves the phone overall.

Like, you can take the adventure of random android phone made by whomever, I’m just telling you anything non Samsung or Google you are taking a big risk on software, security and / or hardware issues and / or failures.

So unless you want the Timb phone, you gotta accept a compromise. I recommend the ones that have a history of at least being mostly reliable.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Roger, thanks for the in depth explanation. Looks like there’s coupons going around too so that helps.

Khizan posted:

What expectations do you have for battery life? I've never had any battery issues with my Pixel 6a.

I dunno I just don’t want to have to think about it all day, regardless of use. I’m not ever doing anything crazy intensive tho, so I figure any new phone can make that happen. and I’m gonna do my damndest to take better care of the battery health this go round.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Country/Provider: US, AT&T

Current contract status: I have no idea, it's through my office.

Budget (phone/plan): ideally <$1000 for the new device

Features I know I want: Android, maximal storage, Loopy case available, headphone jack, fast/powerful, 5G-capable

I have been a Galaxy boy ever since I joined Team Android, and while I'm not a diehard, I'm used to the interface and all. My partner has a Pixel 4a and I feel like I wouldn't like the swipe-lower-left-to-go-back thing it does, but I also might just be a big baby who needs to suck it up.

My major concern is that I keep a shitton of audio on my phone - music, podcasts, audiobooks. I typically use a MicroSD card for this, but it looks like that functionality is being phased out on most phones for some reason? I wanna get my upgrade soon because I think the consumer electronics manufacturing scene is about to get real ugly.

Any ideas? I get that the Pixel 7 is the general recommendation, but is the Galaxy A53 line worth trying if I want the expandable storage? Or am I just being a Luddite who needs to pay up for the S22 Ultra and its 512GB onboard storage?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CK07 posted:

Or am I just being a Luddite who needs to pay up for the S22 Ultra and its 512GB onboard storage?

It’s this. Just get the 256GB or 512. The reason is so they can charge you more, but it is what it is (also, memory cards were always pretty poorly implemented in android IMO, but still). Pixel or Galaxy S22, both are fine.

Fyi new galaxy phones are likely for late February, early March, but I doubt there will be many differences.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Thank you for being the voice of reason and expertise for my fevered brain. It's so loving stupid that there are a thousand Android phones out there, but only five of them are worth buying.

(also thank you for my daily gritty sighting)

CK07 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 13, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CK07 posted:

Thank you for being the voice of reason and expertise for my fevered brain. It's so loving stupid that there are a thousand Android phones out there, but only five of them are worth buying.

(also thank you for my daily gritty sighting)

:gritin:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I sort of feel like "No, you can't get a headphone jack" should be in the thread title at this point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CK07 posted:

Yeah, the odyssey I went on in that regard over the last couple years was really enlightening. It is remarkable how few actually good phones there are.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Country/Provider: Australia/Amaysim

Current contract status: I bought the phone and the service/sim separately so I just want to replace the actual phone itself.

Budget (phone/plan): Probably like to keep it around $300 (AUD) but I can go higher if there's a good reason to. Just need the phone - I want to keep my current plan.

Features I know I want: Headphone port; as few preinstalled apps that you can't get rid of as possible; not too big (current phone is 8 cm x 15 cm and I wouldn't want it to be any bigger - smaller would be fine); android (because I'm already familiar with it).

The main thing is, I want the least hassle possible. I don't care about fancy bells and whistles, I just want a phone that will work reliably - preferably for a long time, because I don't want to have to replace it any sooner than absolutely necessary.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Country/Provider: Australia/Amaysim

Current contract status: I bought the phone and the service/sim separately so I just want to replace the actual phone itself.

Budget (phone/plan): Probably like to keep it around $300 (AUD) but I can go higher if there's a good reason to. Just need the phone - I want to keep my current plan.

Features I know I want: Headphone port; as few preinstalled apps that you can't get rid of as possible; not too big (current phone is 8 cm x 15 cm and I wouldn't want it to be any bigger - smaller would be fine); android (because I'm already familiar with it).

The main thing is, I want the least hassle possible. I don't care about fancy bells and whistles, I just want a phone that will work reliably - preferably for a long time, because I don't want to have to replace it any sooner than absolutely necessary.

What's more important to you: headphone jack, or having it work for a long time? The two are mutually exclusive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

What's more important to you: headphone jack, or having it work for a long time? The two are mutually exclusive.
How so? I've never had any issue with a headphone jack on any device, as far as I'm aware.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

How so? I've never had any issue with a headphone jack on any device, as far as I'm aware.

Because new phones that are going to have software/security updates for a long time don't have headphone jacks. You can buy a cheap or off-brand phone with a headphone jack, but that isn't going to last a long time.

Literally two posts before yours:

Khizan posted:

I sort of feel like "No, you can't get a headphone jack" should be in the thread title at this point.

I'm with you, I want a headphone jack, I hate Bluetooth, I hate adapters, I hate not being able to use headphones and charge at the same time. Still got a Pixel 7, because I hate not having updates more.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 13, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

where the gently caress are all the headphones with USB-C ports????

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Well, working reliably is the most important thing then. It doesn't matter if I can plug headphones in or not if the phone doesn't work. If necessary, I could even use my old phone purely as an MP3 player as that's one of the few things it still does fairly reliably.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Well, working reliably is the most important thing then. It doesn't matter if I can plug headphones in or not if the phone doesn't work. If necessary, I could even use my old phone purely as an MP3 player as that's one of the few things it still does fairly reliably.

If you're worried about your wired headphones working, you can just get a headphone jack to usb-c or lightning port dongle for whichever phone you go with. Yes, it's not the same, but you'll be fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My main memory of actually using the 3.5mm jacks on my phones is mostly that they would invariably end up collecting lint to the point of getting a spotty connection to my headphones and frequently require trying to blow out the port and twist the connector around to make contact. Having a dongle for those rare occasions I actually need a 3.5mm jack is not a big a problem from my point of view.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't know Australian pricing, but the Pixel 6a comes in at just about your size requirement, and is currently $300 US at the Google store, should be good for quite awhile into the future. It's a solid phone.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I bought a Pixel 4a two years ago that I really like, but the charging port is having problems and it's often difficult to get it in charge mode when plugged in. I'm looking at one of these for the replacement:

Pixel 6a for $300
Pixel 6 for $400
Pixel 7 for $500

In trying to compare 6a vs. 7, it looks like 7 has a slightly faster processor, a slightly better camera, a slightly larger screen, and wireless charging. Am I missing anything? I actually prefer a smaller size, are all the other differences worth the extra $200?

Is there any reason to consider the plain Pixel 6 now?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grey posted:

I bought a Pixel 4a two years ago that I really like, but the charging port is having problems and it's often difficult to get it in charge mode when plugged in. I'm looking at one of these for the replacement:

Pixel 6a for $300
Pixel 6 for $400
Pixel 7 for $500

In trying to compare 6a vs. 7, it looks like 7 has a slightly faster processor, a slightly better camera, a slightly larger screen, and wireless charging. Am I missing anything? I actually prefer a smaller size, are all the other differences worth the extra $200?

Is there any reason to consider the plain Pixel 6 now?

6 and 7 have a higher refresh rate screen, which feels smoother to use, but if you’re not used to those kinds of screens you won’t be missing out. It’s a huge phone though (and the 6 is bigger). 6 also has wireless charging. The always on display makes for a nice bedside clock on a wireless charging dock. If you don’t like the hand gymnastics of big phones, you probably won’t be wild about the 6 or 7.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I don't know Australian pricing, but the Pixel 6a comes in at just about your size requirement, and is currently $300 US at the Google store, should be good for quite awhile into the future. It's a solid phone.
The cheapest I can find it is $550 AUD (and that's $200 off the regular price), so I'd really prefer something less expensive if I can get it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My main memory of actually using the 3.5mm jacks on my phones is mostly that they would invariably end up collecting lint to the point of getting a spotty connection to my headphones and frequently require trying to blow out the port and twist the connector around to make contact. Having a dongle for those rare occasions I actually need a 3.5mm jack is not a big a problem from my point of view.
I've literally never had a single problem with a headphone jack on any device. It's always been something else that broke that forced me to replace them. I use headphones with my current phone almost every day and it's one of the few functions of the phone that's still working perfectly 100% of the time. The USB port, on the other hand, only stays connected so long as I don't move the phone while it's plugged in. And no bluetooth device has ever worked reliably in my experience. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I've literally never had a single problem with a headphone jack on any device. It's always been something else that broke that forced me to replace them. I use headphones with my current phone almost every day and it's one of the few functions of the phone that's still working perfectly 100% of the time. The USB port, on the other hand, only stays connected so long as I don't move the phone while it's plugged in. And no bluetooth device has ever worked reliably in my experience. :shrug:

Some of that could be differences in how we use devices - I never used 3.5mm headphones that frequently. I only had concerns with USB ports on the old USB-micro style connectors - USB-C is much better. And I use Bluetooth daily without issue, but at this point it is almost all newer and decent quality - Soundcore earbuds, JBL headphones, Jabra and Plantronics earpieces, and so on.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ham Equity posted:

Because new phones that are going to have software/security updates for a long time don't have headphone jacks. You can buy a cheap or off-brand phone with a headphone jack, but that isn't going to last a long time.

The Samsung A03s has a headphone jack and 3 more years of security updates :v:

Khizan posted:

It’s already slow and unpleasant to use, and that’s only going to get worse as time passes.

I kinda skirt between recommending and not recommending it, mainly because I know this thread is full of power users. But I wouldn't call it unpleasant to use, even if it takes a little longer to load some apps. One UI Core is kinda awesome, actually.

If you want a headphone jack that badly and don't want a USB-C adapter, you frankly probably don't care about much else beyond streaming music and movies, and the A03s has no problems doing that. But yeah, who says how well the One UI Core updates will be in a couple years, I guess.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 19, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It’s already slow and unpleasant to use, and that’s only going to get worse as time passes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

After seeing that article about the luddite kids I am contemplating a dumbphone again. I need to keep my iPhone around as well though since I work remotely and use it for driving, etc. I'm on T-Mobile. Can I have my iPhone and a dumbphone on the same number? Any recommendations for a dumbphone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

After seeing that article about the luddite kids I am contemplating a dumbphone again. I need to keep my iPhone around as well though since I work remotely and use it for driving, etc. I'm on T-Mobile. Can I have my iPhone and a dumbphone on the same number? Any recommendations for a dumbphone?

No, and dumb phones can’t co sync with anything. If you get one get the Nokia 2720. Or be cool and get their updated matrix phone that’s on their website.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it possible to do decent amateur sports photography with a smartphone, or should I not bother trying? I want good battery life so the Pixel line is out. Considering the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra because of a good sale, but I really don't know much about photography or high-end phones.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only real limitation is the lack of optical zoom that would be able to zoom in far enough for good shots. I know some phones boast a huge zoom range but it's nothing like a real telephoto lens on a real camera. I say this is someone who does photography as a hobby but uses my iPhone half the time. In other words, phones can do very good photography but the lack of true optical zoom is a limitation for stuff like sports photography.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That makes sense. What about capturing action shots from fairly close range - 10 to 30 yards? And do you have recommendations in terms of camera specs to look for? I assume the ability to take burst photos with a low shutter speed is important.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

quote:

If you have no idea what kind of phone you want or what the hell is going on, you need to post at least this much info:

Country/Provider: US, AT&T but open to suggestions

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): 500 phone / ???? for plan*

Features I know I want: good rear end camera, at least 128gb storage, preferably not much bigger than an iphone 8 (140mm x 70mm ish) some amount of wired headphone connecting ability

My iphone 8 has beefed it; I'm going in to see if it's reparable today but if it's expensive/ needs replacing I'm open to suggestions. The iPhone in my budget is a 256gb SE, I have no idea what that part of the field looks like for android though so I'm mostly interested in hearing about those.

The headphone thing is not a bit, I have a nice pair of nice headphones I like and don't really care to buy another pair just for my phone. If I have to get some kind of usb-c -> 3.5mm trs adapter fine.

* My plan is an ancient AT&T "unlimited" data thing that I've managed to keep (and largely why I still have an iPhone) --I stream audio and video a ton, although not as much as historically thanks to working from home, but the capability is still handy. It's around 75/mo which I assume is unattainable for a fresh plan.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Apple headphone jack adapter is secretly a really quite good DAC. Just get one of those.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The Apple headphone jack adapter is secretly a really quite good DAC. Just get one of those.

Oh yeah I mean, that's what my current situation is. When I say beefed it, I mean the home button quit working and it's quite hot to the touch, the genius bar guy said it was shthoused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UU TEE EFF
Apr 10, 2005
mate?
I just realized that my pixel3a is no longer getting security updates. I assume it should be replaced because of that, is that right? Or is there still some sort of critical updates that I get? I would rather not get a new phone if there is no risk in staying with this one.