Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Relyssa posted:

PC if you want to play with mods, Switch if you don't care about that sort of thing.

I don’t have a PC. There are various versions for both Switch and PS5 and I don’t know the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Harriet Carker posted:

I've never played any version of this game. I have a Switch and PS5 (although I'd prefer Switch) - what version do I get?

PC

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Harriet Carker posted:

I don’t have a PC. There are various versions for both Switch and PS5 and I don’t know the difference.

Repentance for Switch. It runs great and the game lends itself well to being portable.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Repentance for Switch. It runs great and the game lends itself well to being portable.

It looks like that's just DLC? Does it have the base game included?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

If you get it for Switch you need to make two purchases:

BoI: Afterbirth+ is the base game and is rear end by itself, unbalanced and poo poo. But then get the Repentance DLC, which vastly improves the game and adds a metric fuckton of stuff.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Harriet Carker posted:

It looks like that's just DLC? Does it have the base game included?

Hmm... I know they made a physical version that must have the base game included, but I already had it. It looks like you do actually need the base game.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

You know it's a good game because it needs all the optional DLCs to become a good game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
even flash isaac was fun, it's just gotten better and better since the game came out and it's at its best with all the dlc now

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Games never really being finished but just kinda petering out is the way of things now. Hopefully the changes and additions over time are positive.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

flatluigi posted:

even flash isaac was fun, it's just gotten better and better since the game came out and it's at its best with all the dlc now

i mean it's kinda more complicated than that right? flash isaac was good, flash wrath of the lamb was incredible, rebirth was mostly great but took a few steps back, afterbirth and afterbirth+ were so bad a sizable chunk of the community spent those years playing antibirth instead, and then repentance swooped in and miraculously reunited the community by making all of the well-thought-out, obviously necessary adjustments to the afterbirth and afterbirth+ content that edmund and nicalis had never bothered with - and adding the vast majority of antibirth content into the game too.

it's really kind of a miracle that the game righted itself at the last minute instead of continuing to get worse but i'm glad it did

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
edmund mcmillen should not be allowed to make gameplay decisions regarding the binding of isaac

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I only wish Danny Baranowsky was still making the music, the atmosphere he provided for flash Isaac was fantastic, and his work is still one of my favorite soundtracks. I can only imagine how cool Rebirth/Repentance would have been if he was still a part of things

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's more like the game was great, and each additional DLC up to Repentance added good stuff but also really annoying stuff, so AB+ was when it was at maximum annoyance. It was still good, but that was the least good it ever was. Then Repentance got rid of almost all of the annoying stuff and added a bunch more awesome stuff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jazerus posted:

i mean it's kinda more complicated than that right? flash isaac was good, flash wrath of the lamb was incredible, rebirth was mostly great but took a few steps back, afterbirth and afterbirth+ were so bad a sizable chunk of the community spent those years playing antibirth instead, and then repentance swooped in and miraculously reunited the community by making all of the well-thought-out, obviously necessary adjustments to the afterbirth and afterbirth+ content that edmund and nicalis had never bothered with - and adding the vast majority of antibirth content into the game too.

it's really kind of a miracle that the game righted itself at the last minute instead of continuing to get worse but i'm glad it did
I agree with this take 100%. For me repentance is when the game felt "right" the way flash isaac did.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I've sunk triple digit hours into each iteration of BoI and generally had a blast doing so. I think the reason buying everything up to Repentance is just so strongly recommended for everyone, even new players, is because while previous expansions focused on new challenges to complete and stuff to unlock for people who already beat everything, Repentance also includes a sweeping rework of lots of content that has existed since the base game, and makes it more fun and interesting.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
each update introduced a lot of cool new stuff and a lot of awful poo poo. so repentance having in general a rework of almost all the long standing issues makes it a must buy, even if it doesnt fix stuff like greedier mode sucking rear end or delirium's stupid teleport horseshit

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

edmund mcmillen should not be allowed to make gameplay decisions

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

repentance managed to turn keeper from a horrible slog that made me quit playing the game to one of my favorite characters. it’s absurd how much it improved, but at the same time AB+ was still isaac and isaac is ftw

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Edmund is a talented creator, and like many very talented creators, his work suffers when he has enough resources to do whatever he wants and nobody to tell him “no, that’s a bad idea.” He’s kinda like George Lucas. Flash Isaac was Episode IV. AB+ was Episode II. Those portals that spawned endless flies and there like four of them in every room for some reason were Jar Jar.

Not sure if saying Edmund makes good games but also he is like George Lucas is more or less insulting than just saying he sucks.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wwhat if i added a bunch of lovely items that make everything worse to make the game more artifically difficult because im still mad about the arg game that got solved an hour early 9 years ago

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 14, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

it’s extremely funny to me that instead of buffing lemon mishap they just added a new item that has the same effect but good

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Edmund is the big turd guy that only appears 1 in 10000 times in the sew level

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

He made a poo poo of peice with his trash isaac

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
eternal edition in flash isaac is also bad so its not just edmund but edmund seemed to take all the worst ideas from that mod

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

EDMUND MAKE A NEW DAMAGE UPGRADE ITEM, YOU COWARD

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
So did anyone else's game just suddenly crash and now Windows Defender is flagging it as malicious software? Deleted my mods and uninstalled/installed but it wouldn't reinstall unless I turned defender off temporarily and it wont play if defender is on. Google search suggests it might have been an new security update causing it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i've put over 600 hours in Isaac, it's good poo poo. buy all of it. excellent timewaster.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

drat its true

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vise the Stompy posted:

So did anyone else's game just suddenly crash and now Windows Defender is flagging it as malicious software? Deleted my mods and uninstalled/installed but it wouldn't reinstall unless I turned defender off temporarily and it wont play if defender is on. Google search suggests it might have been an new security update causing it.

Day one of the new patch I couldn't play at all
Day whatever of the new patch, I can play, but with no health or map

New patch broke mods something fierce

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Tips for beating Delirium with Tainted Lost? Apart from “reset until you get X”

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Tips for beating Delirium with Tainted Lost? Apart from “reset until you get X”

Book of Shadows, the battery that recharges based on damage you do, and a ton of damage.

Honestly with how Delirium teleports around that's going to be the best way to get it done. Just staying as invincible as possible for as long as possible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Counterintuitively you'll also want to avoid items or consumables that induce slowdown effects if you can't get ways to farm lots and lots of i-frames. It makes Mom's Foot and other telefragging attacks completely impossible to react to since they'll frag you instantly instead of having a few frames to react to where it's going to land.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wwhat if i added a bunch of lovely items that make everything worse to make the game more artifically difficult because im still mad about the arg game that got solved an hour early 9 years ago

i really don’t think the lovely items were added out of spite i think he just got creatively burnt out trying to come up with another 200 or whatever items for each new version of the game

the idea that edmund spent a decade seeking vengeance on the community for spoiling a puzzle is really loving stupid imho

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 17, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Augus posted:

the idea that edmund spent a decade seeking vengeance on the community for spoiling a puzzle is really loving stupid imho

edmund threw a petulant temper tantrum about the puzzle being spoiled so i wouldn't put it past him

but also he kinda just sucks at game balance

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if i remember right he was mostly disappointed that something he intended to take at least a week or two was solved almost immediately, mostly through datamining and particularly undercutting the work people were doing 'legitimately' on the puzzle thing, which imo was valid. the later arg/puzzle stuff he did he fixed and made big chunks of it not dataminable, and whenever he's talked about the thing these days he really doesn't care about it as much as people project onto him

imo i think someone started saying it as a joke a decade ago and people decided to run it into the ground so hard that people started actually believing it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Relyssa posted:

edmund threw a petulant temper tantrum about the puzzle being spoiled so i wouldn't put it past him

he got upset about a thing, so you wouldn’t put it past him to spend thousands of hours of work making his own game worse on purpose to get revenge about it? what kind of cartoon logic is this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Augus posted:

i really don’t think the lovely items were added out of spite i think he just got creatively burnt out trying to come up with another 200 or whatever items for each new version of the game

Dataminer is a terrible item that Ed has acknowledged as the worst item in the game and is an explicit reference to the ARG datamining: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Dataminer

Idk which other items are being referred to but this one is more or less exactly what you're describing. This is why people still talk about the ARG thing at all, because every time you see this piece of crap you are reminded of it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i liked that the dataminer got the rollover thing in repentance, it was a fun surprise

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Game crashed completely abruptly while I was playing. Not in the normal EY YO YOU GOT TOO MANY TEARS ON SCREEN way but just like, blink. No game.

Alright, whatever, restart it. Mod probably crashed.

.... huh. Alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i dunno i think it’s pretty reasonable to be mad that a puzzle you designed got completely bypassed. and being mad that he added a single joke item in reference to it is way more petty imo

obviously edmund has made a lot of bad and questionable design decisions but like how often do you find dataminer in game?