Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Palladium posted:

There's a youtuber called cheapaudioman who claims the SMSL D-6 DAC sucks because its sibilant just by his ears, despite it being completely contrary to every objective test done in the ASR review.

That's when I'm never going to take any subjectivity for audio gear seriously anymore without supported by hard evidence.

that dude also has a watch channel where he shills junk like Invicta, I would take his word with as big a grain of salt as anybody in this space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gramps posted:

These are the same people with 6 figure systems in rooms with parallel walls and zero acoustic treatment. I'm all for throwing money at your hobbies but gently caress me, throw it at things that actually will make your poo poo sound measurably better.

They could achieve the same for maybe like 1% of the cost unless their listening distance is so huge or they enjoy getting hearing damage.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

qirex posted:

Speaking of stupidly expensive speakers, it's nice to see ones that actually look like they should cost 6 figures [80k euro/pair]. A lot of the boutique stuff is just fugly

Kinda looks like my air purifier.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
It looks like a unity store dystopian building

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I like how this $10K DAC says it has every pixie dust component while showing the most generic cables possible out from the transformer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Palladium posted:

I like how this $10K DAC says it has every pixie dust component while showing the most generic cables possible out from the transformer

imagine paying $10 grand for a DAC with goddamn Papyrus embossed on the front

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine paying $10 grand for a DAC with goddamn Papyrus embossed on the front

imagine spending $10 grand and not even getting Papyrus embossed on the front

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

You don’t have to imagine, that’s a relief

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1116/Synergistic_Research_Black_Quantum_Fuses_UEF_Black_Duplex_Outlet_Review.htm

It's a fuse. It's a loving fuse

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

pfft, the Soundscape Extension Into Room is terrible on that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

$20K for speakers with a FR that might be even worse than the worst of logitechs

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Palladium posted:

$20K for speakers with a FR that might be even worse than the worst of logitechs

"All that remains is the voicing" lmao, super apologietic reviews like this are why people think that these magazines are just paid shills.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I just learned about this poo poo last week by accident. I work for an extremely large manufacturer of power and lighting equipment. I got a call from an audiophile dude last week (who was really nice and actually minimally kooky) asking about one of the "audio grade outlets" out there that my company makes OEM for some snake oil company. Our equivalent hospital grade outlet is like 40 bucks tops, basically overkill for every single application out there by design. It would appear they buy these from us but claim to do some sort of voodoo on them to sell them to rubes for like triple the price or more.

I need to ditch my morals and start cashing in on these dummies good lord. We should brainstorm some good scam poo poo to sell, slap together a website, and make a zillion bucks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

Those and a Naim Statement to drive them would be a good "gently caress you I'm rich" system.

These look like old supercomputers and as such if these aren't the size of a fridge each, I don't want to know. 😤

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Olympic Mathlete posted:

These look like old supercomputers and as such if these aren't the size of a fridge each, I don't want to know. 😤

Not far off fridge size, and I saw a UK online hifi store advertising the 'full system' for £207,997.00.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 11, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh poo poo :v:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
6-figures to hear some of the boringest music known to man

Almost everytime i see audiophiles play something their system on video, it's always some inaccessible jazz or classic piece that exists for the sake of being inaccessible

Palladium fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 12, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Palladium posted:

6-figures to hear some of the boringest music known to man

Almost everytime i see audiophiles play something their system on video, it's always some inaccessible jazz or classic piece that exists for the sake of being inaccessible

That gives them way too much credit, weird academic poo poo is at least cool on account of being weird and historically/artistically/academically interesting

90% of audiophile demo music is just like Norah Jones and Michael Bublé

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I show off my system with Drop the Bass by DJ Magic Mike, Chief Boot Knocka by Sir Mix-A-Lot, and 30s N Lows by Bass Patrol.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

That gives them way too much credit, weird academic poo poo is at least cool on account of being weird and historically/artistically/academically interesting

90% of audiophile demo music is just like Norah Jones and Michael Bublé

Oh please. That’s maybe 5% of it.

Walk through a show and there’s a 50% chance that you’ll hear Keith Don’t Go coming from any particular room. 30% chance it will be something from Diana Krall, and about a 10% chance it will be KD Lang’s version of Hallelujah. In comparison, hearing ANYTHING in the remaining 10% is a treat. Even Norah Jones.

Although I do predict that the Norah Jones track from the new Leonard Cohen tribute album will up her percentage substantially.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s always white people jazz any way you look at it

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I was at a hifi expo this August and the guy demoing Mission 770's took requests so I got to hear Slayer - Live Undead

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I want to hear Another Brick in the Wall and Money for Nothing on these expensive systems, because it's exactly the dad rock you have heard 100,000 times before, and if these systems did anything different you would notice it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

and if these systems did anything different you would notice it.

Big if there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This playlist I found when I first got Tidal has a good cross section of "audiophile music" [lots of dadrock and female vocalists].

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

evobatman posted:

I want to hear Another Brick in the Wall and Money for Nothing on these expensive systems, because it's exactly the dad rock you have heard 100,000 times before, and if these systems did anything different you would notice it.

Someone should take these tracks and edit in some extra subtle elements just for these equipment manufacturers to secretly play to show off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone should take these tracks and edit in some extra subtle elements just for these equipment manufacturers to secretly play to show off.
They've been using the "raise the volume slightly" trick forever to sell dumb tweaks, it's why level matching is so important when doing actual tests [which these companies universally abhor].

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

Extremely subtle farts placed at random.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

evobatman posted:

There is something to be said for hearing the same track over and over on these reference systems, and obviously for different reviewers it's different tracks, but of course it's settled down on tracks for dudes to listen to while they imagine themselves in a "fancy" place being personally entertained by the sultriest vocalist they can find performing for them "personally"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

strtj posted:

There is something to be said for hearing the same track over and over on these reference systems, and obviously for different reviewers it's different tracks, but of course it's settled down on tracks for dudes to listen to while they imagine themselves in a "fancy" place being personally entertained by the sultriest vocalist they can find performing for them "personally"

I’m not one to kinkshame but this is the weirdest kink convention I’ve ever heard of

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
It just occurred to me that ridiculous hifi is basically ASMR for wealthy old men :sun:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

qirex posted:

This playlist I found when I first got Tidal has a good cross section of "audiophile music" [lots of dadrock and female vocalists].
How do you have this list, yet not have Genesis's "Man on the Corner" on it. . .

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

stealie72 posted:

How do you have this list, yet not have Genesis's "Man on the Corner" on it. . .

Yell at Bowers and Wilkins, they're the ones who made it. I am mildly surprised there's no Genesis, though.

e: it's possible there was one of those delisting/relisting things the streaming companies do, I don't think that playlist is actively maintained

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 12, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

qirex posted:

Yell at Bowers and Wilkins, they're the ones who made it. I am mildly surprised there's no Genesis, though.
That's like a gaping omission given everything else on there.

And I meant the generic "you." No shade at you personally.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mederlock posted:

It just occurred to me that ridiculous hifi is basically ASMR for wealthy old men :sun:

ya pretty much this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mederlock posted:

Well gently caress now I want to listen to ASMR on a Sennheiser HE-1.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I like to test Vaporwave since its entirely insane. Old boring music is whatever. Fine good but not that special. /hottake

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
Well recorded synth stuff is actually great for testing a full range of frequencies.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

strtj posted:

Well recorded synth stuff is actually great for testing a full range of frequencies.

I like to put on BFG Division and really blow people's hair back. Anytime someone comes over and they haven't heard my Focals it's my go-to and it never fails to impress. Dragula by Rob Zombie is another REALLY well mixed synth heavy track that has a shitton of detail you'll miss on crappy systems.

I also really like to use super dense orchestral black metal like Dimmu Borgir personally, but that's uhhh not great to use for sales demos. When I was demoing PA systems for a living we'd use Jet City Woman by Queensryche, Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams, Pink Floyd, Back in Black, Steely Dan, Toto, and other boomer favorites like that. I'd always try to sneak in some Meshuggah or something like that as long as I wasn't doing a demo for a church or something

Gramps fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can’t remember who, but I had a speaker manufacturer use the studio tapes from a Fleetwood Mac track to show how resolving his speakers were, because you could hear the drummer counting. He was right. You could. Because it was when there was no other sound at that moment, and you would have heard it on an AM transistor radio.

I also once asked a particularly annoying rep how he got a 24/192 copy of a track, and if he condoned music piracy. He just ignored me, unfortunately.