Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Facebook was caught keeping the phone mic hot before. Zero surprises. I told everybody I knew using it to destroy the app with prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Imagine giving that company money for device with a microphone and a camera that is specifically marketed for it's ability to follow you around a room.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a23873639/facebook-portal-data-advertising/

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Facebook was caught keeping the phone mic hot before. Zero surprises. I told everybody I knew using it to destroy the app with prejudice.

Were they actually caught? Every time I searched some type of "is Facebook listening" I got articles saying no, they just had Minority Report level prediction models that could sense that someone within a mile of you bought a new fence, so you're likely to have passed it on the way home and now you need to see an ad for Home Depot.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sometimes it's more like:

1. You sit at the bar with someone and talk about Thing
2. That person that isn't you searches for Thing
3. Facebook knows your phone was next to their phone for a while, so you might both be interested in Thing
4. Facebook shows you ads for Thing

It's definitely happened where my wife and I go next door, we both leave our phones at home, talk about Thing, and she sees ads for Thing on instagram. For me, that's the real head-scratcher. I can't think of how they would relate something to her when she has no electronic devices on her. It's not for something generic either, it'd be like a very specific lego set or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Twitter dissolves Trust and Safety Council
Meanwhile, a former top Twitter official fled his home amid attacks following Musk tweets

quote:

Twitter on Monday night abruptly dissolved its Trust and Safety Council, the latest sign that Elon Musk is unraveling years of work and institutions created to make the social network safer and more civil.

Members of Twitter’s Trust and Safety Council received an email with the subject line, “Thank You,” that informed them the council was no longer “the best structure” to bring “external insights into our product and policy development work.”

The email dissolution arrived less than an hour before members of the council were expecting to meet with Twitter executives via Zoom to discuss recent developments, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the plans.

Dozens of civil rights leaders, academics and advocates from around the world had volunteered their time for years to help improve safety on the platform.

“We are grateful for your engagement, advice and collaboration in recent years and wish you every success in the future,” said the email, which was simply signed “Twitter.”

In less than two months, Musk has undone years of investments in trust and safety at Twitter — dismissing key parts of the workforce and bringing back accounts that previously had been suspended.

The Trust and Safety Council unraveled after Musk himself had pitched the creation of a content moderation council that would have weighed in on key content moderation decisions, but later appeared to change his mind about introducing such a body.

And in the process, he has exposed some of the company’s current and former employees to online harassment.

Yoel Roth, Twitter’s former head of trust and safety, and his family were forced from their home after Elon Musk’s tweets misrepresented Roth’s academic writing about sexual activity and children. The online mob also sent threats to people Roth had replied to on Twitter, forcing some of Roth’s family and friends to delete their Twitter accounts, according to a person familiar with Roth’s situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to concerns about Roth’s safety.

[article continues at link]

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

LifeLynx posted:

Were they actually caught? Every time I searched some type of "is Facebook listening" I got articles saying no, they just had Minority Report level prediction models that could sense that someone within a mile of you bought a new fence, so you're likely to have passed it on the way home and now you need to see an ad for Home Depot.

I'm having a hard time trying to find this now. I think a problem is that search results are sticking to 2019 as the floor, but I think this was going back to around 2015. The particular point that Facebook had admitted (from what I remembered) was that they admitted that they were listening for background music only.

Best I could find was something off of Slashdot (oh boy): https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/05/25/1457246/facebook-could-be-eavesdropping-on-your-phone-calls. The link they have I don't think even points to where they were admitting it any more.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm having a hard time trying to find this now. I think a problem is that search results are sticking to 2019 as the floor, but I think this was going back to around 2015. The particular point that Facebook had admitted (from what I remembered) was that they admitted that they were listening for background music only.

Best I could find was something off of Slashdot (oh boy): https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/05/25/1457246/facebook-could-be-eavesdropping-on-your-phone-calls. The link they have I don't think even points to where they were admitting it any more.

The linked News 10 story still says:

quote:

[Facebook], itself, admits in an online statement, “We use your microphone to identify the things you’re listening to or watching, based on the music and TV matches we’re able to identify.” But, experts contend that the site is going a step further. In what some users are calling an alarming trend, described as “Big Brother,” Facebook also listens for certain buzz words. Once identified, those words trigger an interesting response. Items are then carefully placed in your Facebook feed, specifically crafted with your interests front and center. Wait! What?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is probably a stupid question, but how does facebook get access to your microphone? Is the idea that they’re breaking the law by having the app use your mic without asking you?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I AM GRANDO posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but how does facebook get access to your microphone? Is the idea that they’re breaking the law by having the app use your mic without asking you?

I never used the Facebook app to talk to people but don't you have to give the app microphone control permission to be able to do that?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yes, it’s supposed to ask so as not to break espionage laws. I’d imagine someone would have figured out if that was happening before now, unless the fbi did figure it out and exploited it to spy on people or something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A lot of the things that look like it listening to you is actually it telling you what your friends were looking at recently. Because it's tracking who you spend time with

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Harold Fjord posted:

A lot of the things that look like it listening to you is actually it telling you what your friends were looking at recently. Because it's tracking who you spend time with

Yeah, ads I see change depending on who I'm working with so by inference I know who is looking at crypto and who got a kid on the way. It's easy to think it's listening in when you're talking about things and ads change to match but the things people talk about happens to also be the things they're looking at online.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There's some very creepy poo poo with Facebook. In recommended friends, it once came up with my therapist's (minor) daughter, which is just absolutely creepy as gently caress for multiple reasons. I still have no idea how it could've pieced that poo poo together, but I know I don't like it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

There's some very creepy poo poo with Facebook. In recommended friends, it once came up with my therapist's (minor) daughter, which is just absolutely creepy as gently caress for multiple reasons. I still have no idea how it could've pieced that poo poo together, but I know I don't like it.

He probably uploaded his email contacts when he registered, or let it have his phone contacts list. Then it sees this one person that he talks to all the time and connects her to you because sometimes you talk to him too.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I AM GRANDO posted:

He probably uploaded his email contacts when he registered, or let it have his phone contacts list. Then it sees this one person that he talks to all the time and connects her to you because sometimes you talk to him too.
Yeah, the algorithm probably has no way to know that the person you periodically spend time with is not a friend or a family member. If you are meeting them in person, otherwise it's scarier.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Gentlemen, there is a solution to this you're missing. I have been using this solution since my son was born and it works perfectly.

I have no friends on Facebook. Just groups devoted to board games I do not have time or anyone to play with :cry:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I see myself doing that pretty soon, I'm just trying to get a couple of more people to realize they can speak to people in ways outside of Twitter and then I'm giving up on them and done lol

I killed my Facebook account a few years ago, and when that happened I thought it was going to be very difficult to do since I used it constantly, but then about a week later I realized I wasn't even thinking about checking it. It really put in perspective for me how bad the signal/noise ratio is on that platform.

Twitter is a little more challenging because it got so ingrained in a lot of people thinking they need to preserve their brand/followes or whatever and can't leave and I've gotten some actual work through it now and then. Even with the writing on the wall for years that the number of people who are able to have their full time job be Twitter shitposts is pretty small.

But at the same time now that Musk has been so openly running the platform in favor of the shittiest people alive it's making it a lot easier to leave like, today, gently caress it.

Don't leave, make them ban you. Then appeal it. We are far past the point where account numbers or advertiser angst is going to have any effect, it'd not a publicly-traded company any more - there's no shareholders or board of directors to reign Elon in.

Making them ban you makes just a little more work for the moderation team and costs Elon money.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 13, 2022

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Twitter dissolves Trust and Safety Council
Meanwhile, a former top Twitter official fled his home amid attacks following Musk tweets

Honestly if the poo poo mudge claimed was even partially true then I don't know why they had a trust and safety team in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oliveoil posted:

Honestly if the poo poo mudge claimed was even partially true then I don't know why they had a trust and safety team in the first place.

Before Musk, it was in their best interest to appear to the world as if they were trying to do the right thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't leave, make them ban you. Then appeal it. We are far past the point where account numbers or advertiser angst is going to have any effect, it'd not a publicly-traded company any more - there's no shareholders or board of directors to reign Elon in.

Making them ban you makes just a little more work for the moderation team and costs Elon money.

the real thing to do is troll elon personally until he, personally, bans you instead of doing something useful with his time like finding $1.2 billion to pay his interest

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

evilweasel posted:

the real thing to do is troll elon personally until he, personally, bans you instead of doing something useful with his time like finding $1.2 billion to pay his interest

It's not like he was going to do the latter anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was reported a few weeks ago that Musk was just straight-up telling his employees to stop paying providers like Amazon and Oracle in an attempt to get them to 'renegotiate terms'. Now he's doing it with the rent on Twitter HQ.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1602784292433760256?s=20&t=fzlv80lhuEeTmWRNlDAk6g

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So the building owners just lock everyone out. Can't work from the office when you can't get into the office. [Taps head]

Seriously, though - how bad a person does Musk have to be to make you side with the landlords?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

So the building owners just lock everyone out. Can't work from the office when you can't get into the office. [Taps head]

Seriously, though - how bad a person does Musk have to be to make you side with the landlords?

Wouldn't they need to first forcibly evict all the people who are currently living at Twitter HQ 24/7 under Musk's orders, including possibly Musk himself before they lockout the building?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Wouldn't they need to first forcibly evict all the people who are currently living at Twitter HQ 24/7 under Musk's orders, including possibly Musk himself before they lockout the building?

There has to be a different set of standards for commercial property instead of residential property, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's not zoned as residential, not sure how that affects eviction protections.

e: fb

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was reported a few weeks ago that Musk was just straight-up telling his employees to stop paying providers like Amazon and Oracle in an attempt to get them to 'renegotiate terms'. Now he's doing it with the rent on Twitter HQ.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1602784292433760256?s=20&t=fzlv80lhuEeTmWRNlDAk6g
South African man discovers one simple trick to save money! Landlords hate him!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's not zoned as residential, not sure how that affects eviction protections.

e: fb

It means they shouldn't have been living there in the first place, so it probably means there are no protections and it's not so much an "eviction" as a correction of trespassing

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

nine-gear crow posted:

Depending on the physical security implementation seems like they should be able to target specific badges?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

nine-gear crow posted:

Being honest, I did not expect Musk to take a page out of the Laura Loomer playbook, but somehow here we are.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I want to see armed sheriffs drag him out of Twitter HQ the same way they would some poor old granma who misses her rental payments

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Musk is really pushing the limits of the whole "rich people are allowed to do crimes" thing, I wonder how far he'll go before someone in a position of authority bothers to try and stop his blatantly illegal activities.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

haveblue posted:

It means they shouldn't have been living there in the first place, so it probably means there are no protections and it's not so much an "eviction" as a correction of trespassing

IANAL, but I’m pretty sure protections do kick in if they’ve been living there long enough. Especially if the landlord knows about it, which they certainly do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Musk is really pushing the limits of the whole "rich people are allowed to do crimes" thing, I wonder how far he'll go before someone in a position of authority bothers to try and stop his blatantly illegal activities.
I don't know what you can really do about it. If he refuses to pay things, he'll probably end up in court. Then he'll either pay a settlement or just start endless litigation to bury his opponents in legal costs (which is what Trump loved to do all the time).

What I don't know is how much of Musk's assets are liquid. It seems like the vast majority of his wealth is tied to Tesla stock, which has been in a nosedive for like two months plus now. If he doesn't have a ton of liquid assets then it's harder for him to just keep paying lawyers to make his problems go away.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know what you can really do about it. If he refuses to pay things, he'll probably end up in court. Then he'll either pay a settlement or just start endless litigation to bury his opponents in legal costs (which is what Trump loved to do all the time).

What I don't know is how much of Musk's assets are liquid. It seems like the vast majority of his wealth is tied to Tesla stock, which has been in a nosedive for like two months plus now. If he doesn't have a ton of liquid assets then it's harder for him to just keep paying lawyers to make his problems go away.

If he refuses to pay his vendors, surely they can revoke Twitter's licenses, causes the entire website to go down as all the underlying services are cut off.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Musk is banking that vendors and landlords won't do any of that because it would be far more costly for them to litigate Twitter than to accept the lost revenue and renegotiating deals/rent at a lower rate.

He's trying to play bully on contractors smaller than Twitter.

The buildings Twitter rents would probably be difficult to rent back out, they may sit vacant for a long time.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 14, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of want Legbreakers to just threaten him into paying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmund Lava posted:

IANAL, but I’m pretty sure protections do kick in if they’ve been living there long enough. Especially if the landlord knows about it, which they certainly do.

If you’re talking about squatters’ rights, don’t those take years to kick in in most places?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cicero posted:

Depending on the physical security implementation seems like they should be able to target specific badges?

you can absolutely turn off or remove permissions from individual badges in every access control system ive heard of, but on the other hand ive never heard of the property management company having access to tenant access control systems. of course they could probably just padlock the front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Good lord you should all go ask the lawyer thread how evictions work rather than spout whatever made up poo poo is at the tip of your tongue