Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

As far as melee weapon types go, does my military need a mix or can I just give everyone the same type?

Mix is good because weapons work better or worse against different threats. Speardwarves are probably best against titans and forgotten beasts, macedwarves against undead, axedwarves good against everything, marksdwarves essential but relatively weak vs undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my broker won't go to the depot even with a burrow....

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I want:

To be able to specify what an item is made out of without resorting to stockpile shenanigans. You can do this with metal it seems, but not rock or other stuff.

Event log, especially a full combat log. Hell give me the option to output it to a text file while I'm at it.

The ability to edit/remove the starting work details, and more custom work details with optional icons. Yeah you can make more than eight but the Roman numerals start repeating.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arrath posted:

I'm afraid my civ got shafted in world gen.

Ohbdamn thanks for reminding me about that issue

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Quinton posted:

Something I recently learned was that clothing degrades over time, and dwarves don't like tattered rags or going around nude, so I've been buying up all the cloth and leather I can manage from the caravans to crank out new stuff for my population to wear (and they do rapidly grab new clothing and discard their old stuff), but I really need to get some kind of cloth or leather production going so I can maintain production...

I'm actually setting up work orders to deal with this right now, is there a good way to just do a catch all "make clothes pls" order or do I have to go through and just set up a separate work order for every single piece?

Also will tattered clothes count against me in the stockpiles?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gosts posted:

I'm curious. What are the top three things you'd wanted added or fixed? Be realistic, no brand new mega-features.

The main thing I want right now is for dfhack to be updated.

Past that, logging, alerts, fully detailed menus. I suspect I'll still be spending a lot of time playing in classic mode once it returns.

Past that I want them to spend their newly gotten gains on hiring a bug squasher programmer.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

To be able to specify what an item is made out of without resorting to stockpile shenanigans. You can do this with metal it seems, but not rock or other stuff.

set up a work order, hit the magnifying glass icon and you can choose not only the material that will be used but also various details for items that can be more detailed, i.e. custom statues, specifying that decorating with x material should involve making spikes or images or whatever you want, etc.

this was always kind of a hard feature to discover on your own and i think it's even more so now because the magnifying glass icon is being used in a totally different way than in the rest of the UI here!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

mst4k posted:

Did you have a well?

I had three stills going at once and still couldn’t keep up with need. It turned out my seeds were in a barrel inside a bag and I guess they’d been storing them there but not taking them out so my farms weren’t really going.

I’m also moving my farming like 10 levels deep because it’s already muddy from an unfortunate flood involving me switching the wrong lever. I guess the clay or whatever soil sucks now because it’s listed as “bad” and I’ve never fertilized.

I did, my zones were set up as well. Ultimately I ended up searching out a schema of what options were specifically supposed to be checked with a singular resource pen for the still and that ended up fixing it (after a hard reset to make sure no other labor was being done with plants) .

My latest issue is just trying to figure out how to make these damned musical instruments! Specifically Taguz rings! I can make the rings themselves in the carpenters workshop, but I can't find where to build the other pieces.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Microforts own, it's a great way to keep performance manageable and even more importantly allow for personal attention to each inhabitant of your fort. I sometimes go as low as 20, since it takes about 10 dwarves to cover each form of skilled / quality-dependent labor without too much overlap and then another 10 to act as haulers and highly skilled militia.

If you do this it's also wise to adjust the requirements for invasions and so on in the raws so that they still happen (since most of them have mandatory minimum population requirements) while also toning down the number of enemies that show up so your 10 guys aren't up against 80 goblins and 40 trolls or w/e.

Any recommendations for those kind of adjustments? For some reason the idea of a microfort is really appealing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

PublicOpinion posted:

As my submission for getting a DF gang tag, I thought I'd bring the tales of five of Tinred's notable characters, with sketches based on their in-game descriptions.

Baron Bembul is not the Baron of Tinred. When I was at 20 dwarves, I suddenly got the notification that he had inherited the barony of a completely different place and suddenly I had to give him noble accomodations. Son of a bitch is absolutely nuts about figurines. Figurines are normally my favorite trade chaff because I like to check them for interesting historical figures and events, but now they're basically never legal to export and when they are I worry about trading them because he might change his mind. Every time he mandates the production of figures I make them of bad things happening to him, just out of spite. When I went to check his description he really was just carrying two in each hand.

Erush is one of my initial 7 and is my broker, which she probably hates because she dislikes commerce. She is absolutely disgusted by merrymakers and finds artwork boring, so she's probably not a fan of the giant engraved tavern either. When an ettin showed up while she was at the depot, she ignored the burrow activation to go and fight it and managed to hold her own just fine until the militia came and dismantled it. She is the height of fashion wearing a dress, a toga, and a skirt all at once.

Sigun is another of the initial 7 and is notable for having the rare dream of ruling the world. I hosed up by not making her the baroness when we got elevated. She loves power over others and wants a world that operates in complete harmony without strife or disorder. Her good quality is that seeing one of the fort members die gave her a respect for sacrifice. She is also wearing 7 earrings,

Lefty is one of the fort's humans, an old treasure hunter who loves peace. No idea how she lost that arm, it's on my notepad as something to check in legends once the fort wraps up. She's a legendary butcher and member of the fort's farmers guild and has hung around the tavern enough to flawlessly perform one of my civ's poems, an ode to alcoholic beverages that's an extremely long series of quintains. Each line of the quintain is only two syllables long, so making something that fits that form and is actually about something is pretty impressive.

Asmel was the only member of the militia to suffer an injury when a cyclops showed up. It punched her in the head and exploded her cheek, leaving her with a massive scar. Currently infected but she's incredibly tough so I have faith she'll pull through. She also works as a scribe, and has a weird pre-Tinred history of being a bookkeeper for and then a prisoner in another fort (going to go out on a limb and guess she was an embezzler), then joined a performance troupe before settling down and then immigrating to Tinred where she gets to beat things with a mace. She's not the only criminal in the mace squad, the leader handed an artifact over to a necromancer but he took his beating and I forgave him because he's incredibly skilled with a mace. He can earn the respect back by continuing to risk his life in defense of the fort.

Wonderful post, thanks for this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jazerus posted:

set up a work order, hit the magnifying glass icon and you can choose not only the material that will be used but also various details for items that can be more detailed, i.e. custom statues, specifying that decorating with x material should involve making spikes or images or whatever you want, etc.

this was always kind of a hard feature to discover on your own and i think it's even more so now because the magnifying glass icon is being used in a totally different way than in the rest of the UI here!

Holy poo poo you're my hero. I can set up matching bedrooms and such now!

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Gosts posted:

I'm curious. What are the top three things you'd wanted added or fixed? Be realistic, no brand new mega-features.

i'm spoilering my answers because i want YOU to think about YOURS first, before you read mine, so i don't influence your mind.

1. Owned items becoming un-owned under certain circumstances. Old clothes, food dropped by soldiers.
2. trader depot not loving up and merchants not getting stuck at my base
3. not clicking EVERY BRICK when i want to place 70, but they just fixed that, so instead, maybe making it easier to select the same materials you have down, or something. like, in factorio, i can mouse over a building and press 'q', and then my cursor turns into 'place another one of this building'. would be very nice to be able to copy any material or object and place another one.

Animated precipitation.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

GruntyThrst posted:

1. liquid pumping through pipes
2. clothing can be repaired through an auto job
3. marksdwarves to work goddammit gently caress THESE BIRDS

For the last one, I would actually suggest just having crossbows and bolts lying around, and assign a bunch of hunters. They'll just go outside and blow pests out of the sky. Unless you have like, super dangerous birds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a way for me to designate that barrels only get used for drink? Will Dwarves store plants and stuff in bins if a barrel isn't available?

I couldn't figure out why my drink supply is plummeting and I eventually realized that when my barrels get emptied they start getting filled immediately with other plants and I can't make them fast enough to get more drink.

You can select your drink stockpile and have a certain number of barrels that you dedicate to that stockpile. That would probably do the same thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My recapture of the undercity was going great! Mowing down ants left and right, trogs too. Still random ones all over this way and that, but once I pop the squad swarm on it it was fine. Then we got too haunted. Ghosts are just constantly tormenting dwarves so they get killed attacking by themselves. Down to 2 already.

How does turning enemies "off" in the settings menu work lol, I just want to clean this place up from all the litter more than anything now, there's no way to retake this place and seal it off like I need to with all this monsters spawning.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gosts posted:

You can select your drink stockpile and have a certain number of barrels that you dedicate to that stockpile. That would probably do the same thing.

Oh, I didn't know this was a thing I can do, love it, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

PublicOpinion posted:

Lefty is one of the fort's humans, an old treasure hunter who loves peace. No idea how she lost that arm, it's on my notepad as something to check in legends once the fort wraps up

Something I just found out today is that you can retire/abandon your fort in a "separate timeline", so you can go look at the Legends mode and still preserve your original save files. Be careful though because if you read about all your dwarves you might discover some spoilers. Apparently half of my fort have secretly become the agents of undead visitors from the nearby Necromancer towers

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
Choosing to envision this as some Tom & Jerry poo poo

Own your enemies by dying of old age

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you make dwarves use a wheelbarrow?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Gosts posted:

For the last one, I would actually suggest just having crossbows and bolts lying around, and assign a bunch of hunters. They'll just go outside and blow pests out of the sky. Unless you have like, super dangerous birds.

Oh I’ve got giant ravens, sparrows, etc. they like to pick up dwarves and drop them on trees so they can’t get away and then pull their limbs off. A good quarter of my dwarves have some sort of permenrant limb damage

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Khanstant posted:

How do you make dwarves use a wheelbarrow?

you assign up to 3 wheelbarrows to a stockpile in the options menu for that stockpile. Unfortunately dwarves only use them to haul stuff TO the stockpile, and not away from it. So if you are doing a big construction project you have to designate a new stone stockpile nearby and assign wheelbarrows to it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gosts posted:

i'm spoilering my answers because i want YOU to think about YOURS first, before you read mine, so i don't influence your mind.

1. Owned items becoming un-owned under certain circumstances. Old clothes, food dropped by soldiers.
2. trader depot not loving up and merchants not getting stuck at my base
3. not clicking EVERY BRICK when i want to place 70, but they just fixed that, so instead, maybe making it easier to select the same materials you have down, or something. like, in factorio, i can mouse over a building and press 'q', and then my cursor turns into 'place another one of this building'. would be very nice to be able to copy any material or object and place another one.

1. Basic UI improvements. Stuff like being able to change how stuff is sorted in the Trading UI, because I have no idea why I want to know things by the type of bin they use, being able to click drag to add or remove animals and search in the Pasture UI, search to actually remove all other results. Improved keyboard cursor in the Steam version, it kept, and some kind of way to implement mouse macros and a "planning mode" like DFhack.
2. The ability to plant trees and/or a way to fertilize farm plots without relying on wood. Maybe if you have good relations with elves they could teach you how to get logs without cutting down trees with elf magic.
3. For underground crops to be year round and surface plants to be seasonal, wtf toady I know it's been like this for decades but c'mon.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The person I assigned to be manager kept missing the window to update work orders, which I use very heavily, when doing other things like hauling or cooking. I had to figure out how to lock him out of everything without also causing others to stop doing them.

Which is how my manager became the sole lord of two domains: managing work orders and snipping the testicles off bulls

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I've kept restarting forts so I haven't had any truly amazing stories but hopefully this is good enough for a gang tag.

So I decided to try out the Primal mod, which adds dinousars and other extinct animals, and I decided hey lets turn the savagery all the way up. That was a mistake because I'm constantly getting wild animals attacking my dwarves, and they're usually get dispatched no problem. So I build my fort and after the couple of "no migrants showed up this season" I got a wave that brought my population up to around 60. So I play a bit, save and then come back later and when I load the game decides to welcome me back by having some agitated Patagosaurus' show up and instantly kill three of my dwarves. And the rest of my fort decided it would be a great idea to run out out to meet them so they started get massacred. As I was watching my population plummet an Acrocanthosaurus decided to join in the fun and just started punting my dwarves like 10 tiles, killing them instantly. Unfortunately by the point where my population had been cut in half the game crashed so I didn't get the chance to salvage the situation, and when I reloaded my dwarves decided that rather then running at the dinosaurs single file they would wait, group up, and then rush at them. Which worked because they killed the dinosaurs with minimal losses that time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive only ever built buildings underground (new player here) should i know anything about building outside?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The three things I want to see:

A more organized work order screen. Ideally categorize orders by workshop under headers, like bin types when sending stuff to the depot, and the ability to collapse them to make it easier to scroll through.
Something else that seemed really important. GOD drat LIVE COMBAT REPORTS. Let me unpause and watch the combat happen.
Right click not being equivalent to the escape key, but cancel/back. Like, I'm building a wall and click in the wrong spot? Right click should cancel that action and let me pick again, not back me out of construction entirely. Same if I click the wrong material, right click should un-assign that mat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arrath posted:

Right click not being equivalent to the escape key, but cancel/back. Like, I'm building a wall and click in the wrong spot? Right click should cancel that action and let me pick again, not back me out of construction entirely. Same if I click the wrong material, right click should un-assign that mat.

i did not know i needed this and now i desperately do

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The number one thing right now besides less obtuse moods and military would be a way to select more than one thing for removal. I would move my dwarf beds and rooms further down but at this point moving 100 furnished rooms means I’m just gonna wait til next timeline and plan my layout a little better instead of reconfiguring now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This unconcious dying cave toad in the dining room is bumming everyone out

Calibanibal posted:

you assign up to 3 wheelbarrows to a stockpile in the options menu for that stockpile. Unfortunately dwarves only use them to haul stuff TO the stockpile, and not away from it. So if you are doing a big construction project you have to designate a new stone stockpile nearby and assign wheelbarrows to it

ah that explains it, I was thinking they'd just use them to haul stone wherever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do I force dwarves to construct things when I have a small population? Feels like construction jobs have the lowest priority, even less so than smoothing, so to get them to build stuff I have to suspend a bunch of other tasks, which gets a bit annoying.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The ability to edit/remove the starting work details, and more custom work details with optional icons. Yeah you can make more than eight but the Roman numerals start repeating.

You have to think someone will mod in extra icons to assign to the specific work details, at least before you get to edit the starting details.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think I posted about this before in short form but I'll try for a longer form gangtag post

My first fort in the new game ran into the issue of dwarves trying to steal artifacts. I didn't realize this was a thing because in the previous versions I would always just get goblins or kobold, I never noticed that I had rogue dwarves in my base. Now it's a lot more obvious, but also I let the first one go by... til he killed a kid out on the surface.

Now I was still unaware that this guy was immediately hostile, and dismissed the combat log as sparring. Til I looked it over closer and realized that there was a dead kid (red flag) and a looooong combat log. The longest I'd ever seen. See, the guy wasn't a good fighter, but he was being attacked by one of my marksdwarves with only a wooden crossbow and no bolts to use. So the crossbowman was able to get the guy's weapons out of his hands, but couldn't do any actual damage to him through his armor. And since it was on the surface no one was swinging by to help.

So thus started what looked like a multiple day cycle of my marksdwarf beating this man senseless til he fell to the ground, then trying to hit him with the crossbow, which did no damage. Enemy gets back up, gets another resounding beating, goes back down. I scroll through pages and pages of this til the end. At this point my marksdwarf was so exhausted that he couldn't even hold his crossbow anymore, so he dropped it and did the most reasonable thing of the moment: shouted for backup with actual weapons got down on his knees and strangled the enemy to death with his bare hands.

I dont think the marksdwarf even knew the kid. He just had the blood frenzy in him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had this super tiny migrant wave show up to backup my one surviving original Dwarf. All three of them were legendary at different things though. I get the feeling they won't be here long lol.

edit: oh my god, ghosts can attack people!? Jesus. My last OG dwarf got killed by a ghost from my last fortress. Y'all got dang graves, chill out. I'd build everyone nice graves but nooOooo

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 13, 2022

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Had a mood that desperately needed silk after I accidentally used all of mine on socks, and so I had to expand out into the caverns. Two forgotten beasts, which had likely just been lurking in the unexplored areas, came in quick succession and one died without killing any of my dwarves but another picked its spot better and managed to catch a handful of dwarves before getting clubbed to death. Sigun was among the casualties, dashing her dreams of world conquest forever. The killer was a giant worm with poisonous blood, which hopefully isn't too poisonous. Keeping an eye on the cats that have walked through the puddle, so far they only have a slight fever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That is not poison, it is the water of life! The maker has blessed your fort.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Aw man since the gangtag limit is running out and I'd very much like one here's my first fort attempt after not playing df for literally 15 years (unfortunately only mildly interesting )

- the first embarkment went swimmingly, literally, as I didn't know what an aquifer was and everything below the first underground level is almost completely wet rock. One level fortress it is.
- after carving out some nice rooms including workshops, bedrooms, dinner halls etc. my dwarves continue getting increasingly miserable until a solid half of the original expedition plus reinforcements are absolutely deep red. I discover that you need to put zones in rooms if you want them to use them.
- my seeds are gone. Turns out if dwarves cook the plump helmets and other stuff you grow the seeds don't stay, only when distilling or processing plants. My cook has been churning out simple meals for months now, and there's pretty much nothing left to plant. Good thing you can still gather things!
-around this time all the poor, confused, starving animals that the dwarves herded underground start dying as, while I did figure out how to make a pasture, I did not figure out how to assign them to it. My wife gets mad that the Llama I named after her died.
- the stinky corpse of my wife is miasmaing up the main hall. I don't know how to fix this.
- I didn't realize jobs need to regularly be checked and my destiller didn't produce alcohol in months. They're all miserable, stinky and dead sober. The mood continues going down.
- they also didn't have access to water so a small, really just tiny part of my dwarves died of thirst until I figured this out. Cue the ghost. So many ghosts.
- somehow morale keeps going down
- despite everything the tavern is just full of visitors and performers, which decide to stay at my fort
- I finally decide its time for a restart after my original group of dwarves ballooned up to 54 without me realizing it and I still only have 8 bedrooms

Game is incredibly fun and I've played a good 15 hours in the meantime, with my newest Fort gemdrowned doing great. I was surprised how much I did remember from my original time playing it before even z levels, but it is still as complicated as I remember it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you're under the impression that the ocean isn't "moving objects" i have bad news about the fluid system

the main danger of large embarks is it creates more potential wrong destinations for pathfinding, which isn't a function of pure area so much as, like, complexity and how many fiddly little tunnels you have, especially if those fiddly little tunnels are occasionally blocked due to things moving around in them

I'm under the opposite -- from past and current experience, fluid emulation has typically been a resource hog. Like "never embark on streams" bad when I first started playing. But it's a new version, the wiki isn't up to date, some things have been optimized and some things not so much. In any case, I can already tell my 5x5 in an evil/good shrubland runs better than a 4x4 next to the ocean.

Jazerus posted:

there are actually a shitload of fish moving around in the ocean they are just constantly changing z-level so it's hard to notice them

True to life, though it'd be nice if there were more catchable fish. My last embark was 50% ocean and my dumb fisherdwarf ran out of fish to catch in the first week! :mad:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mr E posted:

The number one thing right now besides less obtuse moods and military would be a way to select more than one thing for removal. I would move my dwarf beds and rooms further down but at this point moving 100 furnished rooms means I’m just gonna wait til next timeline and plan my layout a little better instead of reconfiguring now.

This and just installing bedrooms in the first place is an enormous awful hassle I hate it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:thunk:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyway to skip the "can't embark completely on mountains" bullshit that keeps me from claiming the highest, most desolate, peaks on the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

So a huge brawl erupted outside my tavern after a speardwarf was caught snooping, resulting in my new migrant miner getting killed in the crossfire on the first day of arriving. Since there is no log of events in the fortress as they happen I can’t really figure out what happened though. I want a gangtag but it’s kind of hard to interpret what happens in my fort.