Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Good thing FEC are getting a limited run model, their range is bloated enough, they don't need a new permanent model.

(This post is extremely sarcastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
He looks like an orc from the LotR line

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

A new cool buy who is also a special event mini available only for a limited time period in Warhammer Store.
Just for maximum FOMO.

lol didn't even notice that

ffs GW

e: you can get him online for a week at least (still stupid)

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 12, 2022

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Count Thrashula posted:

Good thing FEC are getting a limited run model, their range is bloated enough, they don't need a new permanent model.

(This post is extremely sarcastic)

Also, he’s a limited run for the unit that already has the most interesting sculpt in the line.

Please, please redo ghouls, they all look the same.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

This new ghoul looks different enough that I hope FEC gets a couple of new units with their book... expecting just one, tho.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Thanks again to everyone who helped me pick a faction. I successfully sold off all my Stormcast and Kruleboyz stuff, and found someone on Facebook selling last year’s battle force for Soulblight Gravelords and Cursed City and was able to get both for $300 shipped. I also have Anasta Malkorion, Cado Ezechiar, and all the Underworlds warbands which I can either run as is or proxy for other characters (Crimson Court people as Vampire Lord, Exiled Dead leader as Necromancer, King Velmorn as a Wight King). I’m just starting to assemble the battleforce now and I love the updated sculpts on everything. I’m not really one to play “evil” factions but I’m looking forward to my undead horde. I guess the lore says there are a couple of benevolent vampire lords…

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
A vampire count would probably run a better county than a Britonian, if only to make sure his peasents are healthy enough to feed off of.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Muir posted:

I’m not really one to play “evil” factions but I’m looking forward to my undead horde. I guess the lore says there are a couple of benevolent vampire lords…

Read Dynasty of Monsters - Lauka Vai at least tries to be a decent person and has better things to do than torment small folk. On the other hand Vyrkos dynasty is consistently made up of douchebags

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nothing forces vampires to be evil except for a tendency to select other assholes to turn. Lauka is proof that’s not universal, and particularly among the Kastelai and Avengorii lines there’s plenty of room for rebels against Nagash who are trying to protect some piece of land and its people.

(E: Mannfred is rebelling against Nagash through deliberate incompetence but he’s definitely an rear end in a top hat.)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Long time Gobbo fan here, to caution everyone from getting your hopes up too much for the new book. They're still gonna be goblins; much love, no respect.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I should not go on the GW website because I see this:

and see it's called a GobbaPalooza

aahhh

edit: of course the two designs I love the most are the absolute bottom of the tier list

Depending on how strict your local scene is, you could just proxy them as shamans or champs? Maybe there's some house rules out there that make them better?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

War and Pieces posted:

A vampire count would probably run a better county than a Britonian, if only to make sure his peasents are healthy enough to feed off of.

The difference between a vampire and a Warhammer Fantasy aristocrat is that one is a bloodsucking monster that leeches off the people and the other is undead.

Mostly just glad to see the Courts side of Flesh Eaters getting some love. The delusion is the most interesting thing about them and is genuinely creative. Also I'm glad that it's not permanent honestly - the range is anemic but at the very least they're cheap to collect and play and every single model has a use.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 13, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Long time Gobbo fan here, to caution everyone from getting your hopes up too much for the new book. They're still gonna be goblins; much love, no respect.

Depending on how strict your local scene is, you could just proxy them as shamans or champs? Maybe there's some house rules out there that make them better?

There is no Sigmar local anything unless I drive an hour+ but that's OK, look how cute they are! I seemingly might get the box Thursday (not that I'm in a rush nor have a huge backlog already)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

War and Pieces posted:

Depending on the time frame, in the Old World Sylanian people were generally a content lot, but that might've been more of the general stoicism of the real world source.

They did have little acts of rebellion. Like burying their dead upside down so they would dig in the wrong direction if they were ever raised by a necromancer.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Started working on my new deepkin scheme at last. I might start a Path to Glory with the Fury of the Deep stuff and whatever I add to the roster will get stripped and repainted.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know the bases for Stampeding Squigalanche? Like, what sizes you need?

The instructions nor the box nor the websites don't mention it and I don't have a sizing tool. I guess I can just get a ruler...

edit: Looks like cave squigs are 25mm, along with cave herder, squig hoppers are 32mm, a 40mm, and two 80mm (since it assumes you can either build two mangler squigs or a loonboss on a mangler squigs)

IDK if you should build it as a loonboss on a mangler squig, since it already gives you a loonboss on a giant cave squig, not sure if it matters

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 15, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If you ever have any basing questions, wahapedia.ru is a pretty good resource. As far as I can tell all units list their base sizes

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

GW has an official base size PDF for Age of Sigmar (but not one for 40K for some reason): https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ba618db2.pdf

You can also look in the detailed description for the various squads on the Games Workshop catalog site. It won't say on the battle force, but if you look up each squad within the battle force, it's there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Muir posted:

GW has an official base size PDF for Age of Sigmar (but not one for 40K for some reason): https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ba618db2.pdf

You can also look in the detailed description for the various squads on the Games Workshop catalog site. It won't say on the battle force, but if you look up each squad within the battle force, it's there.

Thanks! That's what I did

Count Thrashula posted:

If you ever have any basing questions, wahapedia.ru is a pretty good resource. As far as I can tell all units list their base sizes

Looks like they haven't updated with the "new" values in that PDF (from 2019)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wahapedia tracks base sizes.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Small dudes 25 mm, medium dudes 32 mm, big dudes, whatever fits

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

6 6 6 the Era of the Beast is up https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/387763/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Soulbound-Era-of-the-Beast

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished a gorger. Took a little work to get it flush on the base.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/12/21/generals-handbook-2023-a-time-for-galletian-champions

Here's what to expect for the General's Handbook for 2023.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Looking forward to not having my Namarti explode due to the crime of bounty hunters existing

Plus some extra utility for those smaller combat characters like my thrallmaster and soulrender is much appreciated. I hope the battle tactics and scenarios have less overhead and we're not loving around with proving grounds and poo poo, I never remembered any of those

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

As long as Bounty Hunters is gone, it's an A+ for me.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So...

All foot heroes can't be shot at if they are near a battleline unit

Foot heroes can use a heroic action to let their chosen unit fight in the hero phase. The unit can fight again in the combat phase, but has strikes last.

If you go second, the foot hero can perform two heroic actions. You probably want to use one of those actions to make their buddy unit fight in the hero phase. But you almost certainly don't want to waste the other action on making the foot hero fight, because all foot heroes are terrible fighters.

Important to note that heroes can only let their buddy unit fight in the hero phase if they are in the special battalion, which forces you to choose that over the 1-drop battalion, which is a cool trait off.

Since all of this happens in the hero phase, this will only matter after the first round of combat, after people have charged in and fought once. So you might not want to do the obvious thing of pairing a hammer unit with a hero, since most hammers either won't survive one round of combat, or will have killed the thing they're in combat with.

I appreciate that they are trying to give an additional incentive to going second, but getting an additional heroic action doesn't seem likely to matter all that much. Hopefully there are some other rules in this that incentivize going second.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, you have to do the hero fight action first, meaning that you can only do the unit fight action when you go second. That is actually a huge incentive.

Seems like a huge improvement over the current season, and feels like it won't warp the meta as much as the current one does.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 21, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I'm pretty new to AOS, but sounds like a good time for Soulblight Gravelords Vyrkos Dynasty? Blobs of battle line zombies each backed and buffed by a vampire lord?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are Mancrusher Gargants really as bad as places like Goonhammer make them sound like?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Muir posted:

I'm pretty new to AOS, but sounds like a good time for Soulblight Gravelords Vyrkos Dynasty? Blobs of battle line zombies each backed and buffed by a vampire lord?

youre gonna want to have 1-2 units of graveguard as well. they are the best damage dealer you have.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

youre gonna want to have 1-2 units of graveguard as well. they are the best damage dealer you have.

Is it too much to hope that the new sculpts for Sons of Velmorn means we’ll be seeing an updated sculpt for Grave Guard generally soon? The old ones don’t inspire me compared to how nice the new stuff is.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If have to figure if grave guard were getting a refresh it would have been with the skeletons/zombie when Soulblights released

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I'm really struggling to keep up with the new seasons honestly. For people like me who play maybe a half a dozen games a year, mostly at LGS events, at this point it feels like I'm buying an AUD $80 book for every single event. Basically 105 aud when you factor in the cost of entry for the privilege of playing three games. I'm about to give up and just start being that guy with wahapedia up on a tablet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just be the Wahapedia guy. It's fine.

I go to a tournament every couple of months and I rarely see people crack open an actual book. It's all wahapedia and battlescribe on phones. It is way more convenient, if nothing else.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wahapedia is laid out better than the actual GW books, especially for 40k, so it is actually easier to play with/against people using wahapedia, I think. Because all the info is like right there and you can just have a tab open for all your units and it is super neat. Also you can quickly open a tab for your opponent's units and see if there is some trap strategem waiting for you.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Play the missions from the Core Book, that should be enough.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Randalor posted:

Are Mancrusher Gargants really as bad as places like Goonhammer make them sound like?

Mancrushers suffer from doing everything less well than their mega-gargant cousins. It is almost always better to bring a mega-gargant unless you have a specific plan for buffing your mancrushers massively, likely through stomper tribe antics.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Randalor posted:

I think a big reason is that the club attacks took a fair nerf, and another issue is that there's not a monster meta or horde meta so a lot of their utility in stomper/smasher tribes is underutilized. I think a mob does more work than a warstomper in most cases.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Mancrushers suffer from doing everything less well than their mega-gargant cousins. It is almost always better to bring a mega-gargant unless you have a specific plan for buffing your mancrushers massively, likely through stomper tribe antics.

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I think a big reason is that the club attacks took a fair nerf, and another issue is that there's not a monster meta or horde meta so a lot of their utility in stomper/smasher tribes is underutilized. I think a mob does more work than a warstomper in most cases.

So not "Under no circumstances should you ever take this mini" but more "They're not as good as their bigger brothers, but still have some purpose"? I'm guessing they also have a purpose if you wanted to run 3 of the more expensive Mega-Gargants and can't fit in a 4th, you can at least run a couple of mancrushers to fill out the numbers.

Do they at least have a purpose as far as board coverage or holding objectives while the bigger boys do their thing?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh yeah, they’re perfectly fine doing stuff in your backfield or holding objectives as long as you have the big lads taking care of active business. They’ll die to focused fire more easily, but they’re also the lesser threat, so won’t be targeted as much usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, so it's not a bad idea to pick up a box of them, just don't build an entire army around them. Good to know, I'm 90% certain my wife got me King Brogg and a Mancrusher Mob for Christmas.