Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
plus, of course, it's not economical to maintain the ability to black start a grid. if the grid collapsing was likely to cause so much of a problem, it would be in the rational self interest of all the power companies to not let it get into that state in the first place, by investing and planning up front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redleader posted:

plus, of course, it's not economical to maintain the ability to black start a grid. if the grid collapsing was likely to cause so much of a problem, it would be in the rational self interest of all the power companies to not let it get into that state in the first place, by investing and planning up front

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

redleader posted:

What if instead of that, we just cut off our grid from the rest of the region so we can price gouge consumers more efficiently?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

electrical pioneers should have pretended they were wizards and kept their secrets from us

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

pretty colors
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1602079912869138432

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Phew, back to normal

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

electrical pioneers should have pretended they were wizards and kept their secrets from us

i think you underestimate how much of technology is pure magic to most people and how people who can create it are effectively wizards

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm dreaming of a cold Christmas.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Cold and dry. Guess it will be neat to see how cold it can get with no snowcover.

I'm dreaming of a brown Christmas

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How's the polar vortex looking this winter, is Texas gonna freeze again?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gripweed posted:

If that article from September was to be believed then yes and I welcome it. last one I had the doors open and a nice draft blowing through. Was amazing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

The polar vortex exists, yes.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

australia just casually didn't have a spring this year and summer is looking dicey

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

a strange fowl posted:

australia just casually didn't have a spring this year and summer is looking dicey

Nah, spring just arrived is all. Right after the traditional monsoon season 20°S of where it normally stops.

I'm sure we'll get a nice 10+ year summer end of 2023.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
is that degrees sloppy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

is that degrees sloppy

latitude is a messy bitch

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

The pattern over the next week suggests that this very cold air will be drawn into Canada. After that, it’s a matter of where this air mass goes. A preponderance of modeling brings it down into the Central United States. And then? Well the question is whether the air continues diving into the deep South, toward the Gulf of Mexico, or is shunted more eastward. At this point we are talking about weather 8 to 10 days from now, so uncertainty in this is high. However, there is clearly the potential for very cold air to move into Texas, whereby we could see lows in the teens over the Christmas holiday in Houston. Low temperatures might also be 40 degrees. This far out it is difficult to forecast with any real confidence. But it is going to get cold during the last week of this year. Perhaps even very cold to the point where we need to worry about pipes, pets, plants, and power. We should have more confidence in this forecast in a couple of days.

:dudsmile:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh dear

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It'll be fine. More likely there won't be any ice or snow.

Unless some moisture comes up from the Gulf, but I'm sure it will be okay

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

It'll be fine. More likely there won't be any ice or snow.

Unless some moisture comes up from the Gulf, but I'm sure it will be okay

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

drat ted cruz better buy his cancun ticket now, just to be sure

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, it’s not like they’ve had several years of bad cold snaps that should compel them to do something about their power issues

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Cool cool time to dig out all the disaster stuff I bought last time!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

might get another blanket

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

it usually gets cold in Texas every year. it is annoying how suddenly everyone begins making GBS threads their pants when below freezing is on the menu. what happened in 2021 was like a week of extremely cold (doesn’t usually get near 0 across the state) weather across the entire state down into Mexico. yeah it’ll probably happen again but it’s like everyone melts down when it starts raining because of a hurricane that happened

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Dec 14, 2022

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I hear you crimes. But also I was caught pretty flat footed last time and I really don’t want to be in that position again. Especially since Texas has learned nothing and done nothing so our infrastructure is almost certainly worse now.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao, what do you call cold? Because most of the winter here usually hover around 70 degrees. It's getting harder and harder to remember a time when it's at 40 for longer than a week

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, what do you call cold? Because most of the winter here usually hover around 70 degrees. It's getting harder and harder to remember a time when it's at 40 for longer than a week

i've lived between austin and san antonio for decades and temps will dip below 30 basically every year.

average january low here is low 40s, cold fronts easily push it below freezing

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Dec 14, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

biceps crimes posted:

i've lived between austin and san antonio for decades and temps will dip below 30 basically every year.

yeah but you understand that that is less common closer to the coast, right?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gripweed posted:

yeah but you understand that that is less common closer to the coast, right?

yeah but i don't think the transplants near me in central texas do, nor do the libs outside the state that rev up the red party bad takes every time they see that dallas is getting snow

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

biceps crimes posted:

Over the last ten years, the San Antonio airport averages 66 days with low temperatures in the 30s or colder. High temperatures in the 30s is a different story, happening on average just three days per year.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

biceps crimes posted:

Average is 40? Bullshit. The average is 60

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Average is 40? Bullshit. The average is 60

im saying in central texas, the january average low is low 40s. i dont know where in texas you are

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

biceps crimes posted:

yeah but i don't think the transplants near me in central texas do, nor do the libs outside the state that rev up the red party bad takes every time they see that dallas is getting snow

But the story we're discussing is specifically about Houston getting sub-freezing temperatures.

SirPablo posted:

Over the last ten years, the San Antonio airport averages 66 days with low temperatures in the 30s or colder. High temperatures in the 30s is a different story, happening on average just three days per year.

Also yeah, temperatures briefly dipping below freezing is one thing, even Houston regularly gets a frost or two every winter. But we're talking about something more severe.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

biceps crimes posted:

im saying in central texas, the january average low is low 40s. i dont know where in texas you are

Average low is in the 40s, but that's usually only during at nighttime. During the daytime, it usually hover around in the 60s - 70s. Nobody really care about how cold it is at nighttime, only during the day when people have to leave their house

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Average low is in the 40s, but that's usually only during at nighttime. During the daytime, it usually hover around in the 60s - 70s. Nobody really care about how cold it is at nighttime, only during the day when people have to leave their house

what are you talking about, people absolutely care about the lows. ice accumulates over night and people need to wrap their pipes and poo poo to prevent freezing. the overnight lows will sometimes shut down the cities and schools. warming centers get opened up for the homeless so they don't die overnight. i feel like im taking crazy pills reading this thread

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

biceps crimes posted:

what are you talking about, people absolutely care about the lows. ice accumulates over night and people need to wrap their pipes and poo poo to prevent freezing. the overnight lows will sometimes shut down the cities and schools. warming centers get opened up for the homeless so they don't die overnight. i feel like im taking crazy pills reading this thread

You're the one acting like the fact that it does sometimes get a bit cold in parts of Texas means that it won't be a big deal if it suddenly gets much colder than normal in all of Texas.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

biceps crimes posted:

Water doesn't freeze at 40 degrees lmao wtf are you talking about? That's why people don't care about it being just 40 degrees overnight because it all get warmed up during the day and the water will be able to hold the heat for a while though the night.

The problem starts to arise when it's cold during the day which doesn't happen in Texas often at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gripweed posted:

You're the one acting like the fact that it does sometimes get a bit cold in parts of Texas means that it won't be a big deal if it suddenly gets much colder than normal in all of Texas.

if that projection holds true, then yeah, teens in houston could be bad, but there's models that spit out that doom every year. im not arguing with that. im annoyed with just the general state of hysteria and smug dunking that happens every year now when forecasts show freezing weather in texas (a very normal event). if there's actual confidence in a teens low in houston, yeah that's bad, lock it in it's guaranteed now im sure

NeonPunk posted:

Water doesn't freeze at 40 degrees lmao wtf are you talking about? That's why people don't care about it being just 40 degrees overnight because it all get warmed up during the day and the water will be able to hold the heat for a while though the night.

The problem starts to arise when it's cold during the day which doesn't happen in Texas often at all

:psyduck: thanks, im good