Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

Bowles going to be one and done in tampa? He should be.

Hopefully. At this point they need to gut the coaching staff, get the cap situation in order, and start to rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Couglin's getting in guys, sorry. he's got two superbowl wins, a ton of playoff wins, and coached the most successful jags teams. more importantly he's got a bunch of huge memorable wins like slaying the undefeated pats and wiping marino off the face of the earth before he retired. he's a dick but he's getting in.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Hall of Fame voters only care what you accomplished as a football coach and not how big of a dick you were to your players. Coughlin is a shoo-in.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Bowles going to be one and done in tampa? He should be.

god willing but who knows if they have the balls to fire him when brady walks this offseason. i would love a fresh start next year though. the division's down, its not like we need a miracle to be competitive with the rest of the detritus here

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

DariusLikewise posted:

Hall of Fame voters only care what you accomplished as a football coach and not how big of a dick you were to your players. Coughlin is a shoo-in.
Hell, probably there are a lot of HoF voters who would consider his brutish “old school” approach to be praiseworthy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

god willing but who knows if they have the balls to fire him when brady walks this offseason. i would love a fresh start next year though. the division's down, its not like we need a miracle to be competitive with the rest of the detritus here

Only thing that scares me is the Glazers have never fired a coach after one season.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I think the Urban Meyer trainwreck in Jacksonville has erased all memory of Coughlin's second Jags stint as EVP of Football Operations and what a disaster that was.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think the Urban Meyer trainwreck in Jacksonville has erased all memory of Coughlin's second Jags stint as EVP of Football Operations and what a disaster that was.

I had kind of forgotten about the time the NFLPA sent a memo to every player advising them to never sign with the Jags because Coughlin was such a loving dick which is a massive lol

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Only thing that scares me is the Glazers have never fired a coach after one season.

if im remembering right I dont think any of the previous coaches had terrible first seasons though. bizarrely all the bad tampa coaches of the 2000s have started with weirdly good/overperforming first seasons before immediately cratering through the earth's crust

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Payton has storyline on his side, too. It's hard for people nowadays to remember exactly how pathetic of a franchise the Saints were until he got there.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

I had kind of forgotten about the time the NFLPA sent a memo to every player advising them to never sign with the Jags because Coughlin was such a loving dick which is a massive lol

Not just him being a Dick either, it was because under Coughlin they had given double or triple the amount of team fines as the next closest team.

Nov 6, 2002

quote:

According to the NFLPA, over 25 percent of player grievances in the past two seasons had been filed against the Jaguars.[27]

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Hell, probably there are a lot of HoF voters who would consider his brutish “old school” approach to be praiseworthy.

Yeah exactly. "If youre early youre on time, if youre on time youre LATE" is the crap HoF voters eat up

He's Snee's father in law too, I cant imagine what a nightmare that is haha

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tom Coughlin is the reason we have to argue about Eli's HOF case. He's a much stronger candidate than people think.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

Tom Coughlin is the reason we have to argue about Eli's HOF case. He's a much stronger candidate than people think.

He has a significantly worse career record and performance than Mike McCarthy did with the Packers. All else being equal about his Packers tenure, does Fat Mike get in if the Packers make it to/win the Super Bowl in any single one of 2007/2011/2014/2016? I think not.

And before you write him off because of his quarterbacks, McCarthy is widely credited for rejuvenating Favre during his final couple years with the Packers as well as completely overhauling Rodger's Tedford mechanics.

Did Coughlin have a similar level of value-add to the Jaguars/Giants?

edit: to clarify further, I'm arguing Coughlin is below the McCarthy line (similar to the Dalton line) and gets in solely for 2007/2011 and not for anything else.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 13, 2022

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Did Murray’s injury just save Kliff’s job? Feels pointless to replace him after that contract extension if his starting QB may not be back til 2024.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Did Murray’s injury just save Kliff’s job? Feels pointless to replace him after that contract extension if his starting QB may not be back til 2024.

if you don't change something why would fans give a single poo poo about the next season? Hell, why should players care about anything but a playcheck?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my advice to cardinals fans is that they can sign 5 free agents who will all be very good, lose 5 free agents who were all very bad, and get very hyped about all their perfect draft selections

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The thing about Coughlin isn't just that he has two Superbowls - it's that he's the only coach other than Bill Belichick to even have multiple championship wins in the last twenty years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
He coached an expansion team to a championship game in their third season of existing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'll never forget when he took his wil;dcard team and made a comeback and beated the poo poo out of john elway who choked hugely and it seemed like john elway wasn't ever going to win a sb and that was his last chance and tom coughlin beat the poo poo out of his rear end. but later on somethinbg else happened.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tom coughlin ought to be nicknamed jimmy hofer for how much of a hofer he is. the jimmy part who gives a poo poo about that one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think it depends on the voter but it's a hard case to argue against. You gotta have the numbers for the HOF and it's hard to argue that he doesn't, you've also got to have the moments and again - hard to argue against two superbowl wins against Billy 5 aces during his tenure with the Giants.

Sure as poo poo wouldn't want to put up with his bullshit but I can see why some players would thrive in that environment. It's a tough balance for a coach to walk, you've got a team made up of 53 grown men with different back grounds, upbringings, outlooks, beliefs and all that poo poo and it wouldn't be an easy task to cater to all of them. 25% of all grievances filed against a coach in a year is kind of insane when there's 32 teams though.

Makes me think of that time Bobby Petrino almost got turfed off the team bus by his own players.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was curious and checked, Seifert, Shanahan and Coughlin are the only 3 coaches with multiple Super Bowl wins who aren't in the Hall.

Seifert gets hurt by his stint in Carolina and the fact he inherited a great team
Shanahan never really hit the same level of success with the Broncos post Elway, the best being the 03-04-05 seasons in which they went 10-6, 10-6, 13-3 before returning to their cycle of 7-8-9 win seasons. Plus his stint with Washington was pretty bad.

Those two at least managed a winning percentage above .600 in both of their better stints, with Seifert's 49ers Stint .766 winning percentage would be the highest winning percentage of all Super Bowl era coaches.

I think at the very least Seifert and Shanahan probably get in before Coughlin, given that there is only 1 coach being enshrined every year. There's also a glut of really great coaches too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Did Murray’s injury just save Kliff’s job?

God I hope not.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Murray is going to get so loving fat during this injury.

Nov 6, 2002

His KDR will be amazing tho.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Competitor brain not withstanding, he'd be dumb to come back. His above-replacement-level attribute was speed, which he was losing. Will he ever trust that leg enough to run full tilt even if he hadn't lost a step? Take your guaranteed money, retire without a meaningful head injury #winning

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

His KDR will be amazing tho.

His winning percentage will still be below 50%.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Qwijib0 posted:

Competitor brain not withstanding, he'd be dumb to come back. His above-replacement-level attribute was speed, which he was losing. Will he ever trust that leg enough to run full tilt even if he hadn't lost a step? Take your guaranteed money, retire without a meaningful head injury #winning

Carson Wentz certainly turned to total poo poo after blowing up his acl but he also was less of a runner.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Murray is going to get so loving fat during this injury.

At least someone in this poo poo franchise gets to treat themselves.

If Kliff survives the season, I think I'm just done with the team. Kyler is one of the five watchable players. Kiem is a big problem too, but he's so deeply entrenched in the team they're not gonna fire him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

my advice to cardinals fans is that they can sign 5 free agents who will all be very good, lose 5 free agents who were all very bad, and get very hyped about all their perfect draft selections

Every fan of every team should heed this advice for Pete’s sake!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The thing about Coughlin isn't just that he has two Superbowls - it's that he's the only coach other than Bill Belichick to even have multiple championship wins in the last twenty years.

We can’t let bill be the only one. Andy needs to win another - crying out loud!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Qwijib0 posted:

Go home and be a family gamer man

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

At least someone in this poo poo franchise gets to treat themselves.

If Kliff survives the season, I think I'm just done with the team. Kyler is one of the five watchable players. Kiem is a big problem too, but he's so deeply entrenched in the team they're not gonna fire him.

Aim higher. Why is Keim getting to stay?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a neat cape posted:

He coached an expansion team to a championship game in their third season of existing

Award Dom Capers

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

Carson Wentz certainly turned to total poo poo after blowing up his acl but he also was less of a runner.

I disagree to a small extent because Carson really loved to try to run. He just wasn't anywhere near as good at it (and got blown the hell up constantly).

But yeah I don't think we can take any meaningful thoughts on the future performance of Kyler from this comparison.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

a neat cape posted:

*second season

So did Dom Capers for that matter.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Isentropy posted:

Aim higher. Why is Keim getting to stay?

Because the owner is a shithead. My pie in the sky dream is just give the team to Sean Payton and hope another HoF QB wants to retire from snowy weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

syzpid posted:

I was curious and checked, Seifert, Shanahan and Coughlin are the only 3 coaches with multiple Super Bowl wins who aren't in the Hall.

Seifert gets hurt by his stint in Carolina and the fact he inherited a great team
Shanahan never really hit the same level of success with the Broncos post Elway, the best being the 03-04-05 seasons in which they went 10-6, 10-6, 13-3 before returning to their cycle of 7-8-9 win seasons. Plus his stint with Washington was pretty bad.

Those two at least managed a winning percentage above .600 in both of their better stints, with Seifert's 49ers Stint .766 winning percentage would be the highest winning percentage of all Super Bowl era coaches.

I think at the very least Seifert and Shanahan probably get in before Coughlin, given that there is only 1 coach being enshrined every year. There's also a glut of really great coaches too.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan is going to be a senior committee selection this year. Seifert is probably never getting in at this point and Coughlin isn't eligible until 2024.