Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

I saw them in DC on Sunday for the first time after being a fan for 20 years. Awesome, awesome show. The crowd were way into it and there we only a scant few phones out. :hellyeah:

Thanks for all the recommendations, especially Frost*. That Falling Satellites album gives me a late 90s Sega arcade vibe.

Edit: wrong album name

TVGM fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Wow, well I fully support them releasing a middling album for the sake of a killer live show

article has a bunch of live vids:
https://www.stereogum.com/2200509/watch-the-mars-volta-reunite-for-first-show-in-a-decade/news/

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:aaaaa:

e: gently caress i'm gonna be out of the country

Oof, if you can find another one nearby I’d recommend a small bit of travel if you can make it happen. I was expecting Language to be the highlight for me but Exoplanet blew me out of the water.

For my Seattle peeps, El Corazon isn’t the best venue for sound but the intimacy more than made up for it. Still think it’s my favorite here.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Falling Satellites is one of the finest albums of the 2010's.

There's something very, you know, progressive about it. Very cool, very fresh.

I resemble those sentiments. People will rag on "Towerblocks" for having a dubstep breakdown, but it's a pretty great section and the song has heavy electronic elements will still having the core of progressive rock.

Frazzbo posted:

They are indeed! Can I interest you in the opener of Day And Age, the latest album?

https://youtu.be/RmiAmW3sgHs

The full version is pretty great. It's typical for Frost* to open with a fairly big track but "Day and Age" might be my favourite opener of theirs.

EDIT: Might as well talk about my ventures into crossover prog. I've come to the conclusion I don't like that term as a subgenre of prog but at the same time I've been exploring a number of musicians off of ProgArchives'' crossover prog section and I'm consistently finding bands with unique styles. Right now I'm listening to Poor Genetic Material which combines retro prog with beachy psychedelic sounds. While there are other bands that use the synths that they use, they take their sound in a new-agey direction. Yesterday I listened to a band called MoeTar, a prog band with complex mathy arrangements with a lead vocalist like something out of cabaret or jazz.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 29, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The KC documentary is finally going public.

https://www.itcotck.com/

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
For any TesseracT fans in here, I'll be airing an interview I had with Daniel Tompkins for my radio show during the 8pm hour (show runs from 7-10pm ET and can be heard here) this Monday night. Got to talk to him about the upcoming TesseracT album, new solo stuff, and IPAs.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Jedit posted:

And is also less likely to be read as "IT COCK".

I alwayst thought the acronym should be iCOCK because it's standard form to leave out the "thes" in acronyms or lower case the smaller words. It's Apple's new product, the iCOCK now with vibration features.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Nevermind

SuicidalSmurf fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 14, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Peter Gabriel touring Europe and America in May/June '23

Tickets on sale this week.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I hope he does Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Colonel J posted:

I hope he does Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

I'd love to see him bring Phil Collins as a guest drummer and replaces all mellotron/keyboard sounds with Phil screaming in pain.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just put on Haken's Cockroach King and now expect, as ever, to in the next few days have fragments of it abruptly running through my window of consciousness, like the flying saucers in a Space Invaders game.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Hey speaking of Haken, I finally got around to releasing the full track I posted an excerpt from a while back ft. Conner Green of Haken on bass and Derek Sherinian on keyboards. This was supposed to be a lot more, we had a whole album written but unfortunately I had a falling out with my co-writer so this is likely the only song that will make the light of day. Hope ya guys enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauDyTXnI_U

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Those are some serious namedrops holy poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a bit rough around the edges, but I definitely wouldn't mind more of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm going on coheed's neverender cruise next october :woop:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

God, I hate London. If I'd known that there'd be a Porcupine Tree gig in Manchester next June I'd have waited.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So, it's Closure. Stephen Wilson wrapped up the gig by saying that there would be a few festivals next year but "that's probably it" .

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

So, it's Closure. Stephen Wilson wrapped up the gig by saying that there would be a few festivals next year but "that's probably it" .

I am okay with this. Without Colin and Wes it just wasn’t ‘it’, somehow. I preordered the vinyl but wasn’t moved enough by it to do the show. And I think that’s fine.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

I am okay with this. Without Colin and Wes it just wasn’t ‘it’, somehow. I preordered the vinyl but wasn’t moved enough by it to do the show. And I think that’s fine.

His recently acquired mannerisms of rapidly looking Left/right/left to flip his hair and Making Cool Gestures with pointed finger *really* are overdone.

Also the Copenhagen show WAS TOO loving LOUD. The audience literally packed the back of the hall denser than the front to get away from the speakers.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

His recently acquired mannerisms of rapidly looking Left/right/left to flip his hair and Making Cool Gestures with pointed finger *really* are overdone.

Also the Copenhagen show WAS TOO loving LOUD. The audience literally packed the back of the hall denser than the front to get away from the speakers.

Yeah, I've seen that in the videos.

I saw them when they came through Glasgow on their Anaesthetise and The Incident tours, and I think keeping them as The PT Memories is the best way...

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Only time I've ever seen them live, so I'm very glad I did when I had the chance this time around (unlike TMV who I missed out on entirely).

Rust Martialis posted:

The NYC show was one of the better engineered concerts I've been to. Never got too loud to the point of distorting/breaking apart except for the middle of Anesthetize (which was awesome because that's basically the show's climax anyways).

Now Dream Theater in 2014 at the Hammerstein... that was the worst engineered poo poo I'm glad I brought my Etymotics to.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Now Dream Theater in 2014 at the Hammerstein... that was the worst engineered poo poo I'm glad I brought my Etymotics to.

dream theater was the first band I ever went to see on my own dime and all I could hear for the entire show was Mike Portnoy's bass drum

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do love the hell out of SW but he absolutely does the hair flip/fancy finger guns way too much

lol @ this live album cover too

e: also I absolutely refuse to believe that he has played live barefoot for decades without having contracted hookworm at least once

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 14, 2022

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Frazzbo posted:

They are indeed! Can I interest you in the opener of Day And Age, the latest album?

https://youtu.be/RmiAmW3sgHs

Frost* rule, glad they're getting some attention here. Day And Age is probably my favorite, maybe cuz it's not as brickwalled as the others :)

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

JAMOOOL posted:

Frost* rule, glad they're getting some attention here. Day And Age is probably my favorite, maybe cuz it's not as brickwalled as the others :)

You know there's a bijou tour happening very shortly?

Sunday 27/11, KK's Steel Mill in Wolverhampton
Monday 28/11, Queen's Hall in Edinburgh
Tuesday 29/11, Brudenell Social Club in Leeds
Wednesday 30/11, Komedia in Bath
Thursday 01/12, Islington Assembly Hall in London

https://frost.life/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Imagine my surprise when I checked my YouTube subscriptions a little while ago and saw that Rick Beato did an hour long interview with Steven Wilson :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03vThmG46A8

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

Imagine my surprise when I checked my YouTube subscriptions a little while ago and saw that Rick Beato did an hour long interview with Steven Wilson :eyepop:

Nice. Yeah, Rick is a great follow. He has some really good interviews on his channel.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
New Haken single. New album in March.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJ-e75ZSj8

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

On this topic, I'm dying at the In Absentia doc where Steven calls Trains "overrated" and "It's people's favorite song, but it's not even the best song on the album."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

algebra testes posted:

On this topic, I'm dying at the In Absentia doc where Steven calls Trains "overrated" and "It's people's favorite song, but it's not even the best song on the album."

It's not like he's wrong, though. Trains isn't even in the top five tracks on the European special edition.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If I were interviewing SW I'd like to ask how he can write and perform songs like Personal Shopper with a straight face while his boutique record label puts out a 5th limited edition vinyl of the same album from 2003

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just put on a live performance of Octavarium after not really paying any attention to Dream Theater in like ten years, and you know what I just realized?

James LaBrie looks like a Tim Heidecker character.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Loot!

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
PSA: All King Buffalo albums are free to download / name your price on Bandcamp until Jan 1!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Genesis releasing a boxset of live stuff.

quote:

Tony Banks curated 53-track 5-CD set containing previously unreleased Genesis recordings for the BBC, 1970-1998.

Genesis ‘BBC Broadcasts’ is an extensive collection of broadcast material from one of the biggest selling recording artists of all time and one of Britain’s most internationally renowned bands. Curated by founder member Tony Banks and the group’s long-time engineer and producer Nick Davis, it is available as a 53-track 5-CD set and 24-track triple LP.

These collections represent the cream of the group’s work recorded by the BBC between 1970 and 1998, and it includes contributions from all three of the group’s vocalists, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Ray Wilson. With notes by author Michael Hann, and packaged with a 40–page booklet, ‘BBC Broadcasts’ contains favourites such as ‘Home By The Sea’, ‘Mama’, ‘Duchess’, ‘Carpet Crawlers’, ‘No Son Of Mine’ ‘Turn It On Again’ and many more.

With only a handful of these tracks previously officially available, Genesis ‘BBC Broadcasts’ acts as both a collector’s cornucopia and an alternative “greatest hits”. Stretching from the very beginnings of the band’s career via appearances on ‘Night Ride’ and John Peel, the set encompasses both of the group’s Knebworth performances (78 and 92) as well as their much–loved 1980 show at London’s Lyceum, and triumphant sell–out run of shows at Wembley in 1987.

Rounded out by material from the NEC in 1998 and Paris Theatre and Nightride sessions from the early 70s, as well as the much sought–after encore version of ‘Watcher Of The Skies’ at Wembley Empire Pool in 1975, Genesis ‘BBC Broadcasts’ is a veritable treasure trove.

Genesis are one of the world’s biggest selling and most successful bands of all time. They have sold an estimated 100 million albums and have played to sold–out stadiums and arenas all over the world for decades, most recently with their global sold–out Last Domino? Tour which concluded with a three–night run at London’s O2 Arena on 22 March 2022.

The evolution of Genesis is unique, their sound developed and progressed throughout their career and with multiple line–up alterations in the early years, the classic line–up of Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford took shape in 1976.

Track listing:

5CD Set

CD1
01 Shepherd - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on ‘Genesis Archive 1967–75’)
02 Pacidy - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on ‘Genesis Archive 1967–75’)
03 Let Us Now Make Love - Night Ride 1970 (previously released on ‘Genesis Archive 1967–75’)
04 Fountain Of Salmacis - Paris 1972
05 Musical Box - Paris 1972
06 Stagnation - Sounds Of ‘70 1971 (previously released on ‘Genesis Archive 1967–75’)
07 Harlequin - Peel Jan 1972
08 Get Em Out By Friday - Peel sept 1972
09 Harold The Barrel - Peel sept 1972
10 Twilight Alehouse - Peel sept 1972
11 Watcher of the Skies - In Concert 1975

CD2

01 Squonk - Knebworth 1978
02 Burning Rope - Knebworth 1978
03 Dance On A Volcano - Knebworth 1978
04 Drum Duet - Knebworth 1978
05 Los Endos - Knebworth 1978
06 Deep In The Motherlode - Lyceum 1980
07 Dancing With The Moonlit Knight - Lyceum 1980
08 Carpet Crawlers - Lyceum 1980
09 One For The Vine - Lyceum 1980
10 Behind The Lines - Lyceum 1980
11 Duchess - Lyceum 1980
12 Guide Vocal - Lyceum 1980
13 Turn it On Again - Lyceum 1980
14 Dukes Travels - Lyceum 1980
15 Dukes End - Lyceum 1980

CD 3

01 Say It’s Alright Joe - Lyceum 1980
02 The Lady Lies - Lyceum 1980
03 Ripples - Lyceum 1980
04 In The Cage - Lyceum 1980
05 The Raven - Lyceum 1980
06 Afterglow - Lyceum 1980
07 Follow You, Follow Me - Lyceum 1980
08 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) - Lyceum 1980
09 The Knife - Lyceum 1980
10 Mama - Wembley 1987 (previously released on ‘Genesis Live 1973-2007)
11 Domino - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)

CD 4

01 That’s All - Wembley 1987(previously released on ‘Genesis Live 1973-2007)
02 The Brazilian - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
03 Throwing It All Away - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
04 Home By The Sea - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
05 Second Home By The Sea - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
06 Invisible Touch - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
07 Drum Duet - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
08 Los Endos - Wembley 1987 (previously released on DVD only ‘Live At Wembley Stadium’)
09 Not About Us - NEC 1998
10 Dividing Line - NEC 1998

CD5

01 No Son of Mine - Knebworth 1992
02 Driving The Last Spike - Knebworth 1992
03 Old Medley - Knebworth 1992
04 Fading Lights - Knebworth 1992
05 Hold On My Heart - Knebworth 1992
06 I Can’t Dance - Knebworth 1992

There's also a 3 LP vinyl version but that's only 24-tracks. A few bits of it had already been released in other box sets, but it looks like the CD version includes the entirety of a 1980 show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A whole disc of pre-Collins and two more Ray Wilson songs than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ray Wilson - I'm glad they didn't brush him under the rug. But he was completely wrong for Genesis.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Booked a cabin for Cruise to the Edge for next year. Initially booked primarily for Big Big Train, Haken, Marillion, Steve Hacket and and Adrian Belew, with interest in others including the Flower Kings and Symphony X (though I've struggled to get into the one album of theirs I own). Now they've announced Riverside too! Very excited for this indeed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

You should consider Three of a Perfect Pair camp if you like Ade, Tony and Pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

which Symphony X album is the one you own?