Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

this thread chair-pilled me and i'm buying myself a herman miller for christmas.

This guy is an all-star poster in the GPU thread and have saved goons literally thousands of dollars, if there’s a goon butt worth an Embody it’s this guy’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tehinternet posted:

This guy is an all-star poster in the GPU thread and have saved goons literally thousands of dollars, if there’s a goon butt worth an Embody it’s this guy’s

:chanpop: Will have to check that thread and learn more about GPUs, good on ya mate Dr Video Games.

I should mention if you are around Chicago and want to see a good high volume used dealer for this stuff, I have recommendations! I might know a guy that still works at the place I'm thinking of and can hook you up.

https://www.officefurniturecenter.com/ :thumbsup:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
If you're in the USA or Mexico, maybe try Design Within Reach: https://www.dwr.com/stores?lang=en_US.

Their showrooms have bascially every HM-etc. chair, plus a variety of desks to sit at. Take some measurements of your own/ideal desk so you can find one in the store that matches it. Then trial run your butt/back through all the chairs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Arson Daily posted:

https://www.businessfurnitureshop.com/

These guys are pretty good. Idk how their prices compare but they were responsible dive and pretty fast at getting my mirra parts to me

This site is dead for me. :(

I'm actually looking for a replacement gas cylinder on my aging used Steelcase Leap V1. Any other ideas? I can go to amazon and type that in, but trusting their fulfillment process on something like my nice chair seems a bit questionable.

EDIT: by the way, I haven't posted in this thread since I bought this chair four years ago and was asking about the purchase. Thanks for the help, thread.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 9, 2022

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Boxman posted:

This site is dead for me. :(

I'm actually looking for a replacement gas cylinder on my aging used Steelcase Leap V1. Any other ideas? I can go to amazon and type that in, but trusting their fulfillment process on something like my nice chair seems a bit questionable.

EDIT: by the way, I haven't posted in this thread since I bought this chair four years ago and was asking about the purchase. Thanks for the help, thread.

Crandall Office was able to replace my Aeron cylinder with a functional one, and it looks like they sell Leap cylinders too.

Back to trying to adjust to this Aeron since I don't have the money to try anything else long-term I haven't already. Mixed results, to say the least, but hopefully it'll work out eventually.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, gently caress it. Bought an Embody.

It'll be here in the second week of February and my return window on this nonsense chair is January 31st, so I'll have an uncomfortable week or so, but oh well.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
You'll enjoy it, it's a good chair. You get it fully assembled in a big-rear end box.

Since I never see it mentioned on here, I think the HumanScale Freedom is a good chair too. I was considering getting it but the headrest kept digging into my shoulders even at it's highest setting. I'm 6' for reference.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Whitest Russian posted:

You'll enjoy it, it's a good chair. You get it fully assembled in a big-rear end box.

Since I never see it mentioned on here, I think the HumanScale Freedom is a good chair too. I was considering getting it but the headrest kept digging into my shoulders even at it's highest setting. I'm 6' for reference.

If you’ve got young kids they’ll love that loving box. We have like five small children (6 and under at the time) in our immediate-ish family and their reaction to the box was worth the price of the chair.

I cut holes in the box and they turned it into a fort/bunker that was in our living room for a month. It was dope.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Are... are you not sure?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tehinternet posted:

If you’ve got young kids they’ll love that loving box. We have like five small children (6 and under at the time) in our immediate-ish family and their reaction to the box was worth the price of the chair.

I cut holes in the box and they turned it into a fort/bunker that was in our living room for a month. It was dope.

Mine immediately asked for the box and went and built a kickass fort

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Are... are you not sure?

It was more deciding where the cutoff was for “immediate-ish” cousins hits ten on my wife’s side before we even consider the ferals on my side of the family.

It’s a lot of kids.

But yeah, the Embody comes in the best box I’ve ever seen. Even at 37 I wanted to make a fort out of that poo poo.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer
My IKEA work-from-home chair is starting to hurt my back after two years, so I'm looking for a new one. The chairs in our company office are pretty comfortable and after a bit of sleuthing I think they're Steelcase Reply (the one with the grabby plastic handle at the top of the mesh back).

I've heard good stuff about Steelcase from skimming the thread, but I don't think I've seen the Reply mentioned. Does anyone have this model? Is it worth looking for a used one or do I really need to splurge on a Think or a Leap?

I've seen a couple of chairs mentioned as not being great for fat asses, which would be a concern for me. I wish I could just try a bunch out but not sure where to find them in the UK.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

tehinternet posted:

It was more deciding where the cutoff was for “immediate-ish” cousins hits ten on my wife’s side before we even consider the ferals on my side of the family.

It’s a lot of kids.

But yeah, the Embody comes in the best box I’ve ever seen. Even at 37 I wanted to make a fort out of that poo poo.

Lol, fair!

Crandall Office doesn't seem to stock the Herman Miller PostureFit on its own. Only one of the websites linked itt did, and they wanted a $60 shipping fee for a total of like $170 for that part. At that point, I feel like I should be putting that money toward a still-used-but-newer replacement chair, so instead I'm ordering the regular old-school lumbar support from Crandall for $25. I was never particularly fond of the bar style support even before it broke, so I was looking forward to the Posture Fit version. Fingers crossed that the bar works better than I remember.

They said it will ship on or before Thursday, December 29. Let's hope whatever is causing my lower back pain doesn't become something more serious before then!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 13, 2022

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I don’t know what the issue is, if I dont know how to dial the Embodys settings in, or if my posture has always been completely poo poo, but its working me over

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

stump collector posted:

I don’t know what the issue is, if I dont know how to dial the Embodys settings in, or if my posture has always been completely poo poo, but its working me over

My posture was poo poo. It kinda encourages you to sit properly. Feet flat on the ground, back curved naturally.

Can you be more specific? Some goons might be able to give you advice if you can detail what you mean by ‘working you over’

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Any good options south of $200-250ish? I get the notion of looking for a Herman Miller/Steelcase used and locally, but I don't think that's a real option for me right now (and on top of it, I'm not the one buying it, my dad's been wanting to buy me a new chair as a Christmas gift for years after seeing how busted up my current chair is that I've been sitting in since like, 2007).

I've looked for used Aerons locally, but I can't really find one in my area for less than $400 in good condition without a multi-state road trip.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Framboise posted:

Any good options south of $200-250ish? I get the notion of looking for a Herman Miller/Steelcase used and locally, but I don't think that's a real option for me right now (and on top of it, I'm not the one buying it, my dad's been wanting to buy me a new chair as a Christmas gift for years after seeing how busted up my current chair is that I've been sitting in since like, 2007).

I've looked for used Aerons locally, but I can't really find one in my area for less than $400 in good condition without a multi-state road trip.

I think the Ikea chair is your best bet for that price point.

I've heard decent things from Autonomous chairs though and they seem to be a good price compared to the big names.
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair
https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair

The Kinn is supposed to be based off of the Embody which I have and really like.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My chair is fully broken, so I gave up and bought a gaming Embody online. It won't arrive until February. Argh. I'm in the Seattle region, do dealers carry stock in store or would I still be held to a very long delivery time?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Whitest Russian posted:

I've heard decent things from Autonomous chairs though and they seem to be a good price compared to the big names.

The Kinn is supposed to be based off of the Embody which I have and really like.

Ah, which Ikea chair?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been using this Steelcase Gesture for about a year now and...

I'm not sure if I like it. No matter how hard I try to find the right position or adjust the seat, I can't sit comfortably on it for an extended period of time without my tailbone feeling sore.

I'm not sure what else to do but call it quits and see if I can get a new chair. My desk it at a height such that for my arms to comfortably rest on it the chair needs to be at a height where my feet can't reach the floor. I've been using a box as a sort of foot rest. Should I try adjusting it some more? If not, what would be a replacement chair for someone not satisfied by the Gesture?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm not sure if I like it. No matter how hard I try to find the right position or adjust the seat, I can't sit comfortably on it for an extended period of time without my tailbone feeling sore.

I'm not sure what else to do but call it quits and see if I can get a new chair. My desk it at a height such that for my arms to comfortably rest on it the chair needs to be at a height where my feet can't reach the floor. I've been using a box as a sort of foot rest. Should I try adjusting it some more? If not, what would be a replacement chair for someone not satisfied by the Gesture?

You can try not using the arm rests. It's also possible it just isn't for you, I never did manage to get the Embody I had to work for me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SgtSteel91 posted:

I sat in a Gesture at work for about two years and I never much cared for it either; it always felt like it was trying to - just ever so subtly - make me slide off the front of it. So I had to engage my legs more than I wanted to.

That chair DID also come with a sit/stand desk and I stood more during that time than any other, I think :v:

As for what you might like, I think it really depends on what you DON'T like about the Gesture. Personally, I like to have an ottoman under my desk to throw my feet up on when I feel like having my feet up. Additionally, you might consider an adjustable-height desk that allows you to get the desktop low enough that your legs/feet and arms/shoulders can all be in a comfortable, neutral position. Probably cheaper than a new chair too, heh.

Having sat in a few different chairs, I'll go ahead and roughly rank 'em. Do note that I tend to prefer chairs that have the seat pan tip back/down strongly when leaning back:
• Embody
• Cosm
• Aeron (with headrest)
• Some ancient monstrosity, I believe it may have been a Steelcase 454. Upper back/head support sucked but the rest of it was amazing.
• WorkPro Quantum 9000 (mesh seat, mesh back, headrest)
• Celle
• Leap (didn't like it, didn't hate it)
• Gesture (did not like)
• Whatever garbage piece of poo poo my current employer has me in, it's not even fit to be a conference room chair; this is why WFH is superior

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Zarin posted:

As for what you might like, I think it really depends on what you DON'T like about the Gesture. Personally, I like to have an ottoman under my desk to throw my feet up on when I feel like having my feet up. Additionally, you might consider an adjustable-height desk that allows you to get the desktop low enough that your legs/feet and arms/shoulders can all be in a comfortable, neutral position. Probably cheaper than a new chair too, heh.

Can confirm, cheaper than a new chair. This is exactly what I did. I got a Husky "workbench" from Home Depot that adjusts height with a hand crank, and flipped the countertop around to hide the logo they stuck on it. Cost $250 for the 72inch model iirc, the wood looks nice, and it's sturdy as hell. But most importantly, it lets me drop the desktop height when sitting to a lower level than any non-adjustable desk this size would have.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Framboise posted:

Ah, which Ikea chair?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

I've never used it personally but lots of people say that this chair is best in class at it's price point.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Whitest Russian posted:

I bought their ErgoChair Pro a couple years back (I think they just called it the ErgoChair 2 then) and the cushion on it is already giving way and making long sits painful.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I bought their ErgoChair Pro a couple years back (I think they just called it the ErgoChair 2 then) and the cushion on it is already giving way and making long sits painful.

2 year warranty showing its face

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Unsinkabear posted:

Can confirm, cheaper than a new chair. This is exactly what I did. I got a Husky "workbench" from Home Depot that adjusts height with a hand crank, and flipped the countertop around to hide the logo they stuck on it. Cost $250 for the 72inch model iirc, the wood looks nice, and it's sturdy as hell. But most importantly, it lets me drop the desktop height when sitting to a lower level than any non-adjustable desk this size would have.

They have something deeper then 20-24" now? I bought an 8foot one a while back thinking I could make it work, and it's just so shallow.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Whitest Russian posted:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-gray-90289172/

I've never used it personally but lots of people say that this chair is best in class at it's price point.

Hm, seems nice.

Any thoughts on this one? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jaervfjaellet-office-chair-with-armrests-glose-black-60510640/

I saw it in the related items and while it's a bit more, I do like the adjustable headrest/lumbar that the Markus seems to not have.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

blugu64 posted:

They have something deeper then 20-24" now? I bought an 8foot one a while back thinking I could make it work, and it's just so shallow.

How DIY are you feeling? I haven't looked at one in person but I have to imagine you could unbolt the wooden benchtop and replace it with . . . well, anything! Options range in price from finding/buying a free/cheap desk/table secondhand, repurposing the top, and tossing the rest . . . all the way to buying a piece of butcher block or countertop material from Lowes Depot/Builder's Supply company.

Or maybe there is a reason why this wouldn't work because I'm glossing over something about the frame I'm unaware of

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

blugu64 posted:

I think they're all 24" deep. I was also worried that might be an issue, but I just replaced my monitor stands with an arm that clamps to the back of the desk and stacks two monitors vertically, and that solved the problem entirely. It leaves plenty of room in front for my massive desk mat that marks out my kb+m space, then speakers sit behind the mat to either side of the monitor just fine. My HOTAS gets tucked behind the bottom monitor when not in use. Plenty of space on the sides for headphones, notepads, mail that needs to be dealt with, a lamp, tchotchkes, my tonberry desk light that I turn on to remind myself when it's in work time and not playtime, etc etc. Tl;dr: there's a lot of stuff on this desk, and it does not feel like it at all (I am particularly sensitive to visual clutter). As long as you're not overly constrained in how wide you can go, it's got plenty of space.

The real challenge for me was storage, because I previously had an IKEA hemnes desk with drawers on one side and a cabinet on the other. I ended up adding a $100 filing cabinet underneath the Husky, but even accounting for that, the desk swap was still cheaper than a replacement Aeron in my area and adds extra utility as well (being able to stand). Hoping that and replacing the lumbar support will get me through until I can find a "new" chair.

Speaking of Aerons, can the mesh start to stretch over the years? I've never heard of that happening, but I swear I'm sinking farther into the back of this old one than I used to. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it because my back pain is making me more sensitive, the chair really is stretching, or I'm just getting fatter.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Framboise posted:

Hm, seems nice.

Any thoughts on this one? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jaervfjaellet-office-chair-with-armrests-glose-black-60510640/

I saw it in the related items and while it's a bit more, I do like the adjustable headrest/lumbar that the Markus seems to not have.

I think that chair might be a part of the "Ikea Gaming" stuff that came out during covid. The reviews also don't seem to be that favorable. If you have an Ikea relatively close by to you I'd recommend just going there and sitting down in both chairs for like 10 to 20 minutes while dicking around on your phone or something.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Peachfart posted:

My chair is fully broken, so I gave up and bought a gaming Embody online. It won't arrive until February. Argh. I'm in the Seattle region, do dealers carry stock in store or would I still be held to a very long delivery time?
HM just had their big bi-annual 20% off sale, so i presume stocks are low everywhere right now

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

My room needs to be economic with space (54-55 in width with some shelves) and I have an IKEA Fredde desk that I like, so I’m hesitant to replace my desk. Maybe getting an actual leg/foot rest might work

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

30” I feel is close to ideal depth. 24 starts to feel real claustrophobic. I’m a heathen who does not use VESA mounts tho.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Whitest Russian posted:

I think that chair might be a part of the "Ikea Gaming" stuff that came out during covid. The reviews also don't seem to be that favorable. If you have an Ikea relatively close by to you I'd recommend just going there and sitting down in both chairs for like 10 to 20 minutes while dicking around on your phone or something.

Closest Ikea to where I live is about 2 hours away, sadly. One day Fort Wayne will be on Indy's level lol

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Oh hey I went to Ft Wayne for work earlier this year. You guys have absolutely garbage flights in and out of your airport.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Whitest Russian posted:

Oh hey I went to Ft Wayne for work earlier this year. You guys have absolutely garbage flights in and out of your airport.

Beats driving all the way to Indy to get a flight.

... kinda.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Inner Light posted:

30” I feel is close to ideal depth. 24 starts to feel real claustrophobic. I’m a heathen who does not use VESA mounts tho.

Yeah, they really do change the game. With stock stands I wouldn't be able to do 24" either. The amount of space the stand bases take up was starting to be problematic even at 30", but I dragged my feet until the desk change because it felt silly to spend more money just to free up a little bit of desk space (it's not silly and it makes a bigger difference that it seems like it should, don't be me)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Framboise posted:

Closest Ikea to where I live is about 2 hours away, sadly. One day Fort Wayne will be on Indy's level lol

My closest Ikea is a 6 hour drive to Houston, so, could be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looking for a ballpark number here, if anyone has any thoughts!

What would the thread consider to be a reasonable price for a gently-used Embody that is about 1.25 years old?

What about a gently-used Cosm (high back, adjustable arm rests) that is about 2 years old?

Figured I'd see if anyone had been shopping the secondhand market recently and had any idea about numbers before I attempt to research it myself. (Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about second-hand markets yet)