Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

eXXon posted:

I'm deathly serious about politics. That's why I'm posting in the "Never forget Penis Satan" thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

every post in this thread must be funny and also make us more mentally ill. that should be the criteria

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Starks posted:

opposition to the current implementation seems to be pretty universal.
don't set yourself up for disappointment

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Starks posted:

so like what is the libs plan for MAID lol. opposition to the current implementation seems to be pretty universal.

I think their plan is to do something about the individual cases that cause headlines and ignore the rest.

Take, for example, this recent story where disabled veterans who were involved in years-long fights to get help for their disabilities were told "Well, we could always kill you...?"

quote:

On Thursday, retired corporal Christine Gauthier, who is paraplegic, told the House of Commons standing committee on veterans affairs that the topic of assisted dying was raised during a years-long fight for a home wheelchair lift.

“On the comment of medical assistance in dying … I was approached with that as well,” Gauthier testified. She described the comments of the VAC agent she spoke with as saying, “‘Madam, if you are really so desperate, we can give you medical assistance in dying now.'”

In an interview with Global News on Friday, Gauthier said the discussion took place in 2019 and involved a VAC case manager.

“I was like, ‘I can’t believe that you will … give me an injection to help me die, but you will not give me the tools I need to help me live,'” she said. “It was really shocking to hear that kind of comment.”

She said she’s been waiting since 2017 to get those supports, including the wheelchair lift.

“It has isolated me greatly, because I have to crawl down my butt with the wheelchair in front of me to be able to access my house,” she said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9321582/veterans-affairs-maid-cases-trudeau/

Trudeau's response is to say this is unacceptable and they're going to tell Veterans Affairs to stop offering to kill people. Cool, great plan. Changes nothing about the underlying problems but addresses the bad headlines.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they really should tell veteran's affairs to stop offering to kill people though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

they really should tell veteran's affairs to stop offering to kill people though

I agree! But the more basic problem is that disabled people have to fight the government for five years to get accommodation for their disabilities, but can access MAID seemingly overnight. That's the same problem we see in virtually every MAID headline story: a problem that could be remedied by better accommodations (i.e., by better funding for supporting marginalized people), but all levels of government are unwilling to do that, so they offer to kill you instead. This problem isn't solved by telling veteran's affairs to stop offering to kill people, even though that is a good thing, because it does nothing to solve that woman's five-year battle to get a wheelchair lift for her home.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, i understand and agree with your point. they shouldn't have to tell veterans affairs to stop offering to kill people, because the underlying issue should not exist. because we already have systems in place to deal with these challenges, and the only reason they don't function is a lack of proper investment.

that said, they really should tell veterans affairs to stop offering to kill people

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

your poisoned VA is making heaven too crowded

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm laughing bc the something awful forums have higher ethical standards re: suicide than the Canadian government and military

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Have any articles been written yet about someone making use of MAiD because Justin Trudeau and his Liberals have made Canada too woke? Because you know it's coming.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Another Bill posted:

Have any articles been written yet about someone making use of MAiD because Justin Trudeau and his Liberals have made Canada too woke? Because you know it's coming.

There is only one cure for the woke mind virus.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Dec 13, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

apatheticman posted:

They're is only one cure for the woke mind virus.

Inshallah

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

apatheticman posted:

There is only one cure for the woke mind virus.

They should really make a vaccine for it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I personally think the "woke mind virus" is fake

It's just opinions, bro

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

I personally think the "woke mind virus" is fake

It's just opinions, bro

It's a cousin of "Race Mixing is Communism" especially from our favourite Boer

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Starks posted:

so like what is the libs plan for MAID lol. opposition to the current implementation seems to be pretty universal.

at best they would get rid of the program while doing nothing about the underlying conditions (cost of housing driving people to homelessness, cutting disability payments, crumbling healthcare) that lead to people to seek it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mila kunis posted:

at best they would get rid of the program while doing nothing about the underlying conditions (cost of housing driving people to homelessness, cutting disability payments, crumbling healthcare) that lead to people to seek it

I'm not sure they can get rid of the program because it was created in response to a Supreme Court ruling requiring it to exist. What they could do is make it far more restrictive by interpreting the Supreme Court's wording in a more stringent way. Instead, so far the indication has been the opposite by expanding it to mental health issues

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Starks posted:

The same thing every lib plans to do about every problem; literally nothing

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bleck posted:

The same thing every lib plans to do about every problem; literally nothing

Hey now, they'll give a nice speech about it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

they really should tell the Canadian Forces to stop offering to kill people though

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I'm laughing bc the something awful forums have higher ethical standards re: suicide than the Canadian government and military

It's that really surprising?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was already a mark for Kate Beaton but hell if Ducks isn't the best thing I've read all year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the conservatives would just make maid laughably impossible to access, but still say it exists. much like any other useful service in this country

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

you must attend personal 1 on 1 counselling sessions with jorp for one year and then after he will recommend whether we allow you to die or not

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It'll just get privatized like everything else. Maybe someone will finally build that death coaster

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Private maid service for all? Thank you Pierre!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The RCN seemed to protect their own and I honestly would have joined if not for obvious reasons. The RCAF employed THAT COLONEL

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

eXXon posted:

Private maid service for all? Thank you Pierre!

WAIT you're not mopping the floors? Aw man this maid sucks!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Futanari Damacy posted:

It'll just get privatized like everything else. Maybe someone will finally build that death coaster

can't wait for pierre to suggest mass maid gas chambers relaxed sleep rooms to save money!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

So Has Trudeau bothered to order someone to sort out that lady's wheelchair ramp yet or nah

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Business group urges Ottawa to freeze CPP, EI premium hikes

God drat business people and economists are loving stupid. I dropped out in 3rd year and I know more than these idiots.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They just privatized case management in November so my guess is that the timing is not coincidental because a private insurance company will be telling people to kill themselves - and denying benefits - not the federal government.

They don’t even know where most of the files are from what I’ve heard about the changeover. $570M well spent. Nobody not already in the system will be getting a ramp for the foreseeable future.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and i thought it was bad when they couldn't get boots

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:hmmyes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hmm, maybe, but it's impossible if this would result in less negative press from libs angry that fewer people are dying

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that refuse military service" - Stompin' Tom Connors

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You all must have forgotten the 25 Canadians killed on 9/11 that were being avenged.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Frosted Flake posted:

You all must have forgotten the 25 Canadians killed on 9/11 that were being avenged.

I only remember Michaels

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

I only remember Michaels

Thank you, for a moment too long I had not thought about the Michaels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

So Has Trudeau bothered to order someone to sort out that lady's wheelchair ramp yet or nah

As if there was even a chance for an answer other than no to this question.