Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

gravity exists because of centrifugal force caused by the Earth's rotation

They said WHAT? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember a heated discussion where a kid in my class insisted on the centrifugal force thing "being obvious from observation" and my physics teacher was just more and more angrily making diagrams on the whiteboard, like you could detect the rising irritation in the resulting marks

My biology class had a similar situation where a girl said she was allergic to cold and the teacher spent the rest of the class distinguishing histamine response from cold response, while the girl shook her head and was like "doc told me I was allergic to cold". I don't remember what the conclusion was there, I think the bell ended that discussion.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The purple Life Savers are meant to be raspberry flavored, not grape. None of the flavors taste like the thing they are supposed to be but I still felt dumb.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, there was a long standing nonsensical but relatively common belief that gravity was somehow related to the earth's rotation and if it stopped "we would all fly off." I mean with inertia there is some truth about how if the earth suddenly stopped rotating we'd go flying, but probably more sideways and also the oceans wouldn't be happy about it.

I also had this teacher's aide at my school that would kind of show up in a class and explain some random thing to everyone, like why leap year exists. Her appearances were probably scheduled but to me it always felt like she'd just wander in and be allowed to talk. Anyway she was nice but I'm pretty sure she had some developmental delays and a lot of her lessons had weird inconsistencies or were whole-cloth nonsense, we'd always call it "Miss Kay talk" when someone would be making up stupid poo poo. I'm pretty sure she taught us something related to that poo poo with the earth's rotation.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, there was a long standing nonsensical but relatively common belief that gravity was somehow related to the earth's rotation and if it stopped "we would all fly off." I mean with inertia there is some truth about how if the earth suddenly stopped rotating we'd go flying, but probably more sideways and also the oceans wouldn't be happy about it.

I think you just misunderstood what that meant

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was part of the generation that was taught that Columbus set out to prove the world was round and sort of stumbled into the Americas on accident while doing it. I think I read later this was largely attributed to a Washington Irving story that was conflated into actual history.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I work outside for a living. Bears, cougars, bobcats (a native cat to the West US that is somewhat larger than your average house cat), and rattlesnakes are all mentioned in the same breath at safety circle up as being so incredibly dangerous. The OSHA stats show that something like 95% of the accidents that are non-slips,trips,falls are caused by other people and dogs. In my years of being outside, I've run into bears, cougars, bobcats, and rattlesnakes and none have tried to attack me, including that one time I literally blundered into a mama bear and her three cubs less than 20 feet from me.

People are by far the most dangerous thing you will ever encounter, and dogs are a distant 2nd. Stay away from all humanity namaste

We were in the mountains staying in a cabin, and one dusk we went out to give the dogs their last bathroom break of the evening. They were doing their thing when I heard a "huff, huff" and scraping sounds. There was a mama bear about that far away, with her three cubs staring at us from halfway up a tree trunk. She was huffing and scraping the ground, swinging her head back and forth. The dogs and I beelined back indoors.

And I learned that one can't depend on a bichon and a schnauzer to defend me from bears. They took one long and noped out of there.

ETA: Also, wouldn't it be centripetal force? I know it's the mass of the planet, neither centrifugal nor centripetal, but centripetal pulls inward, centrifugal would send us whipping into space.

Bonster has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Dec 12, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

I was part of the generation that was taught that Columbus set out to prove the world was round and sort of stumbled into the Americas on accident while doing it. I think I read later this was largely attributed to a Washington Irving story that was conflated into actual history.

Unsurprisingly a great deal of American history as taught is a lie.

My contribution and why I opened this thread is that David Mitchell was formally trained as a historian (been watching QI in my convalescence)

wiki posted:

Rejected by Merton College, Oxford,[7] in 1993, Mitchell went to Peterhouse, Cambridge, where he studied history.[3] There, he began performing with the Cambridge Footlights, of which he became President[8] for the 1995–96 academic year.[9]

Mitchell was in his first year at university when he met Robert Webb during rehearsals for a Footlights production of Cinderella, in 1993, and the two men soon established a comedy partnership.[10] According to Mitchell, these factors had a detrimental effect on his academic performance at university and he attained a 2:2 in his final exams.[6]

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Not sure if mind-blowing but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5EtFEk16Q

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDANvbRn1A4

are directly related. From a certain point of view.

Oh that's actually pretty neat, I hadn't made the connection.

Also in the stage musical, the Evil Nanny/Witch counterpart to Mary, "The Holy Terror" is named Mrs. Andrews as a nod to Julie Andrews.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Unsurprisingly a great deal of American history as taught is a lie.

My contribution and why I opened this thread is that David Mitchell was formally trained as a historian (been watching QI in my convalescence)

Not to be a dick, but that doesn't tell you Mitchell is an historian. He has a degree in a relevant subject, but hey, so do I.
I have a degree and a masters in relevant subjects, but unless I have done actual work in related fields within the last year or so, it is entirely irrelevant

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cool. Any other things nobody said that you would like to disagree with?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bonster posted:

And I learned that one can't depend on a bichon and a schnauzer to defend me from bears.

Surely this part couldn't have been surprising?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Trabant posted:

Surely this part couldn't have been surprising?

It was not in the slightest!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pookah posted:

Not to be a dick, but that doesn't tell you Mitchell is an historian. He has a degree in a relevant subject, but hey, so do I.
I have a degree and a masters in relevant subjects, but unless I have done actual work in related fields within the last year or so, it is entirely irrelevant

It is a conundrum though. If someone does the work of an historian for a week but without any formal traing whatsoever, are they an historian? They're certainly not a trained historian but do they get to go anywhere near the titular at all? I'd hope most would say no and strongly, we have greater barriers for entry than the work alone.
Is the only workable test, a widespread acceptance among the titular peers?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You're only really a historian once you've ritually wrestled the reanimated corpse of Ranke into submission and/or published something semi-notable.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

You're only really a historian once you've ritually wrestled the reanimated corpse of Ranke into submission and/or published something semi-notable.

Going viral you say? Very well, I'll put it in the job description

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Historian or not, "has a humanities degree from Oxbridge" is pretty much the least surprising thing you can say about virtually any British TV comedian.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

otherwise its just sparkling anecdotes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It is a conundrum though. If someone does the work of an historian for a week but without any formal traing whatsoever, are they an historian? They're certainly not a trained historian but do they get to go anywhere near the titular at all? I'd hope most would say no and strongly, we have greater barriers for entry than the work alone.
Is the only workable test, a widespread acceptance among the titular peers?

There's tons of amateur historians researching their family histories and stuff like that.

There's also lots of amateurs in related fields such as "antiquarians" who were basically untrained archaeologists who just dug poo poo up. John Pull excavated a whole lot of neolithic flint mines and ancient sites around Sussex from the 1920s to the 1950s but the local museum-affiliated bigwigs didn't like the cut of his jib and they actually ordered several of his sites to be bulldozed to cover over the evidence.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

Panda bears aren't pandas with the word bear slapped on, they're bears with the word panda slapped on. Red pandas are the only true pandas.

And Jason Alexander is not at all Greek

He is Jewish, though, and Alexander is a traditional Jewish name.

The story goes that it dates back to the time of Alexander the Great. He conquered where the Jews were living at the time and, as was his custom, was going to start setting up temples to the Greek gods, converting the populace, and so on. But the people said "if you let us keep our religion as is, we'll name all our male children after you". And so it was.

No idea how true it is, but it's a nice story, and Alexander is a pretty common Jewish name (there were two in my class, along with the usual complement of Davids and Joshuas and so on).

Bonster posted:

ETA: Also, wouldn't it be centripetal force? I know it's the mass of the planet, neither centrifugal nor centripetal, but centripetal pulls inward, centrifugal would send us whipping into space.
That would make more sense, wouldn't it?

As it happens, gravity does act as centripetal force, for orbital mechanics. Orbit is literally things flying in one direction with the centripetal force of gravity pulling their path into a circle.

If course, the fact that the Earth is also spinning on its axis is completely incidental, and has nothing to do with orbit or gravity.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Dec 13, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jason Alexander's real name contains neither Jason nor Alexander.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jason Alexander's real name contains neither Jason nor Alexander.

What the gently caress how did I not know this

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

While I was fact checking before I posted, I found out he took Alexander from his dad's name

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Lemon isn't a cute nickname for that character in 30 Rock (a show I have never watched)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pookah posted:

an historian

a historian

:chord:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Perhaps in your subpar, rural and peripheral, dialect of english :wotwot:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Perhaps in your subpar, rural and peripheral, dialect of english :wotwot:

first time I've heard a Cockney accent described as posh

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was taught that "brontosaurus" wasn't real and it was just an archaeologist accidentally putting a brachiosaurus head on the wrong end of the rest of the fossil. None of that is true. There was some confusion early on, two different partial apatosaurus fossils were identified as being different species with the one discovered later being called "brontosaurus" and there was some confusion with a different species' skull involved at one point, but today there's just a debate over whether brontosaurus is in fact distinct enough from apatosaurus to qualify as a different species.

I was also taught that Columbus wanted to prove the Earth was round and that gravity exists because of centrifugal force caused by the Earth's rotation, neither of which make any sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_for_Brontosaurus

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Captain Splendid posted:

Lemon isn't a cute nickname for that character in 30 Rock (a show I have never watched)

It is a show you should watch. Lemon is a fine family name, and they host great parties. Her father’s name is Richard, and maybe the best line in the show is, “You can’t have a Lemon party without old Dick!”

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Not only are Stand By Me and Lean On Me two completely different songs, they are also two completely different movies. :psypop:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bread and cake might be types of foam

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Bread and cake might be types of foam

That's what the leavening is for, yeah.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've known for a while that I was misusing the word "obtuse" to mean "needlessly complicated or difficult to understand" when it really means "stupid." What I just found out was that it's actually a fairly common mistake apparently and I learned it from other people misusing it in the same way. Also, that the correct word is "abstruse" which sounds made up, but is not.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
All words are made up but especially abstruse. Which I thought meant difficult to understand?
Sounds like a pretty sick name for a yellow green color, though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fizzymercury posted:

All words are made up but especially abstruse. Which I thought meant difficult to understand?

Abstruse, when chartreuse isn’t horrible enough.

Apologies if I heard it here, then forgot, but I recently discovered that ‘egregious’ doesn’t mean ‘bad’, and in fact originally meant good, with its actual etymology relating to ‘something that stands apart from the herd’.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Abstruse does mean "difficult to understand." You're thinking of "chartreuse"

Torquemada posted:

Abstruse, when chartreuse isn’t horrible enough.

Apologies if I heard it here, then forgot, but I recently discovered that ‘egregious’ doesn’t mean ‘bad’, and in fact originally meant good, with its actual etymology relating to ‘something that stands apart from the herd’.

To me, egregious just means "a particularly extreme example" but I don't think I've ever heard it used in a positive context.

KillHour has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Dec 14, 2022

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

KillHour posted:

Abstruse does mean "difficult to understand." You're thinking of "chartreuse"

Yeah but I thought it's the thing that's difficult to understand and not the thing that isn't understanding which is how I misuse obtuse.

I gotta stop using words I heard once in a Dollop podcast.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
For years I was saying "obtuse" when I meant "opaque" and either everyone knew what I meant or they... no, I don't understand why nobody corrected me. Years!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

KillHour posted:

I've known for a while that I was misusing the word "obtuse" to mean "needlessly complicated or difficult to understand" when it really means "stupid." What I just found out was that it's actually a fairly common mistake apparently and I learned it from other people misusing it in the same way. Also, that the correct word is "abstruse" which sounds made up, but is not.

If it's such a common "mistake" that everyone uses it that way and everyone understands what each other means, it is not a mistake it is proper communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KillHour posted:

To me, egregious just means "a particularly extreme example" but I don't think I've ever heard it used in a positive context.

It sounds like something the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would shout. "Dude, totally egregious!"