Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing dragging down FO4's open world is that there is literally 2 towns. And Vault 81.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would've been happy if Death Stranding got rid of its story entirely and was just a package-delivery simulator, period. More emphasis on the trip like having to deal with weather, roving bands of wildlife (or I guess ghosts if sticking with already-present hazards), that sort of thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down FO4's open world is that there is literally 2 towns. And Vault 81.

Sounds like you need to get better at building towns then.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Soul Hackers 2 is gorgeous and challenging and fun so far but good lord everyone pronounces Milady like it rhymes with melody and I am dying inside.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rockman Reserve posted:

Soul Hackers 2 is gorgeous and challenging and fun so far but good lord everyone pronounces Milady like it rhymes with melody and I am dying inside.

There's a character in Divinity: Original Sin 2 named Malady and it takes so much effort not to pronounce it with the cadence of 'milady'

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

I would've been happy if Death Stranding got rid of its story entirely and was just a package-delivery simulator, period. More emphasis on the trip like having to deal with weather, roving bands of wildlife (or I guess ghosts if sticking with already-present hazards), that sort of thing.

Have you played Snowrunner? There are no bandits, and you can't build roads, but you really have to think about the path and make good routes and such.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nuebot posted:

I was actually just thinking about it earlier today, how much people would probably hate it to be dropped into an open world game where getting from one end of the map to the next would take like, eight hours at least of non-stop running

If I were in charge, my open world game would be in realistic scale, and you could run eight-hours to the next location if you wanted to. Instead you could, say, plot a course and the game would interrupt you if you came upon a bad guy, or a point of interest, say. Like Daggerfall!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nuebot posted:

I was actually just thinking about it earlier today, how much people would probably hate it to be dropped into an open world game where getting from one end of the map to the next would take like, eight hours at least of non-stop running

I don’t know, RDR2 sold pretty well

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so i "beat" RDR2 last night and
1. im pissed off
2. im really pissed off
3. i didnt beat johns first mission so it didnt save so the impact of the final mission has been lost :c

i dont want to play as john!!!

is rdr2 online any fun or is that dead as hell since it cant have 50$ sharkcard helicopters and jet tanks

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
RDR Online is fun. It's about as grounded as the single-player mode, and the heart is still there. It takes place (if I remember correctly) one year before the events of RDR2.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Having played it all the way through for the first time in years, I have to say Dark Souls 2 is good!

The little thing that bothers me as much today as it did way back when it first came out is that I wish Nashandra's fight was better. She has a cool as hell design and a neat boss intro but then it's just kinda...over.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Doom (2016) was so good. I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got Doom Eternal. Load it up and...

Oh, Bethesda authentication? Bethesda authenticating... authenticating... Oh, a popup telling me about boosters and new cosmetic poo poo. Huh. Another popup telling me about more of this. And a THIRD one. And this one has a TIMER so I can't just hit "okay" right away, I have to wait five seconds to click it? There are NINE WINDOWS I have to click "okay" through just to get to the menu jfc

I just want to fuckin rip and tear not buy hats for Doomguy

And every two seconds it tells me YOU GOT ______! More fuckin hats I imagine.

There are TWELVE menu options. Nine of them are for bullshit.

The game begins and I get killed, but when I respawn I'm super tiny. I'm like the size of a mouse. I can run super fast but I'm 1 inch tall and have no weapons. What the gently caress is going on here

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Dec 12, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Crowetron posted:

Having played it all the way through for the first time in years, I have to say Dark Souls 2 is good!

The little thing that bothers me as much today as it did way back when it first came out is that I wish Nashandra's fight was better. She has a cool as hell design and a neat boss intro but then it's just kinda...over.

The Lost Crown Trilogy is great if you ignore the co-op zones. I thought Dark Souls 3 felt so sedate and lacklustre with no vistas like Brume or Shulva.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Lost Crown Trilogy is great if you ignore the co-op zones. I thought Dark Souls 3 felt so sedate and lacklustre with no vistas like Brume or Shulva.

Oh, yeah. By "all the way through" I was including the DLCs. If anything, that made Nashandra even worse since I did them before doing the vanilla endgame so I was decked out with sick gear and murder stats. I know most people rate the Fume Knight as the best boss, but I love the spectacle of the Ivory King and the Gwyn vibes of his moveset.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

The game begins and I get killed, but when I respawn I'm super tiny. I'm like the size of a mouse. I can run super fast but I'm 1 inch tall and have no weapons. What the gently caress is going on here

OK, this part I'm on board with.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

OK, this part I'm on board with.

Just a lil’ Doomguy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Crowetron posted:

Nashandra immediately after Throne Watcher/Defender is pretty cool but it would be pretty poo poo if you had to kill them every attempt on her.

If Nashandra was made today she'd have 15 hidden health bars

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The church levels in Dead to Rights 2 are fine, but they kind of repeat as you basically do the first map in one direction, then so the second map going in and out again to get the key, then going all the way back through the first map backwards to get to the locked door. Also the third area completely took too long as it was 8 loving levels long. Hopefully that was the longest level in the game. There are a lot more to go too, there are 9 areas in all and I'm at area 4.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

kazil posted:

Nashandra immediately after Throne Watcher/Defender is pretty cool but it would be pretty poo poo if you had to kill them every attempt on her.

If Nashandra was made today she'd have 15 hidden health bars

I mean, ideally you'd move the Watcher/Defender up to the tower where the two Dragonriders are and then have the showdown with Nashandra be its own big crazy thing.

Anyway, I booted up DS1 Remastered and is my memory loving with me or could you always just not roll diagonally?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No diag-rolling and the weight threshold is 50 percent.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

And people say DS2 is the worst Souls game?!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Adaptability is way worse than anything in ds1.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If I have to pick between Adaptability and Diagonal Dodging, I will gladly dump a handful of levels into a dumb stat every time.

Edit: The first Black Knight in the Burg dropped his sword so I change my mind, DS1 is the best.

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Dec 12, 2022

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
You have free roll when not locking on in DS1

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crowetron posted:

I know most people rate the Fume Knight as the best boss, but I love the spectacle of the Ivory King and the Gwyn vibes of his moveset.

:yeah:

I think Fume Knight and Sir Alonne appeal to the folks grumpy about DS2 lacking a real challenge, but basically everything about the Ivory King fight is cool as gently caress. I actually rate the second DLC lowest because I'm two for two on playthroughs where I got burnt out on the excessive difficulty, even if the area as a whole is otherwise interesting and Zelda dungeon-y.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

(It's probably tied with DS1 for my favorite in the series tbh)
Alonne didn't give me any trouble but the Fume knight did. Bounced off him for hours and suddenly it "clicked" and I was dancing circles around him. Probably my most satisfying boss kill of the entire series.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Philippe posted:

Have you played Snowrunner? There are no bandits, and you can't build roads, but you really have to think about the path and make good routes and such.

Liar. Snowrunner has the best bandit:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

you actually loaded duke nukem forever

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CJacobs posted:

Death Stranding's absurd space-compression gave me a laugh early on when a character went all like "Oh thank god, a Porter! Why, we haven't seen anyone at this station in over a year." And you can just turn around to stare across several state lines at the waystation you just came from. It's actually not that far guys, I can see my house from here!

Early in Days Gone, you can have a full tank on your bike and maybe it'll get you 1.5km if you're lucky.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Stoatbringer posted:

Early in Days Gone, you can have a full tank on your bike and maybe it'll get you 1.5km if you're lucky.

I don't know why, but that's weirder to me than the compressed space in Death Stranding.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Love having a default unupgraded sprint meter that gets me maybe 2.5 meters/ 4.5 feet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

Love having a default unupgraded sprint meter that gets me maybe 2.5 meters/ 4.5 feet.

That, at least, I can relate to.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I thought DS was going to take place on the moon or some artificial planet because there's no day night cycle and the geography made no sense.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Elden Ring: gently caress the Fringefolk's Hero Cave. So much.

I'm sure there's candy behind all this bullshit but COME ON. The Executioner's Chariot, poison, little bleed-happy stone guys, AND fire? Say it ain't so.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elden Ring mercifully informs the player of all the dungeons that are going to be some bullshit you'll regret visiting by calling them "Hero Graves."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Philippe posted:

Elden Ring: gently caress the Fringefolk's Hero Cave. So much.

I'm sure there's candy behind all this bullshit but COME ON. The Executioner's Chariot, poison, little bleed-happy stone guys, AND fire? Say it ain't so.

lol no mention of the boss of the dungeon?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

Elden Ring mercifully informs the player of all the dungeons that are going to be some bullshit you'll regret visiting by calling them "Hero Graves."

"Heh heh little do they know that they are the hero."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

lol no mention of the boss of the dungeon?

I haven't found it yet! I ragequit after like seven tries. I guess I'll go hang out in the rainy peninsula instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Philippe posted:

I haven't found it yet! I ragequit after like seven tries. I guess I'll go hang out in the rainy peninsula instead.

This is pretty much the intended experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Philippe posted:

you are definitely in for a treat if you ever go back!

you can also kill the chariot, but it's extremely convoluted