Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

explosivo posted:

is that cybertruck still allegedly coming out? There are people who have paid some amount of money for one of those already, right?

I swear I read somewhere that even if it does come out there is no way it passes any safety tests since it just has a stainless steel frame that won't crumple so it can't pass a crash test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Phroawh *taps bonnet*

You won't believe the spontaneous flammability of this baby

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

explosivo posted:

is that cybertruck still allegedly coming out? There are people who have paid some amount of money for one of those already, right?

After the shitshow that is Twitter, does anyone really want to trust Musk with a truck that's supposed to drive under water?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'll keep making test and concept models. They need a load of them to crash into things (and be crashed into) for a start.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

B-Rock452 posted:

I swear I read somewhere that even if it does come out there is no way it passes any safety tests since it just has a stainless steel frame that won't crumple so it can't pass a crash test

The body is the frame and it's made out of a type of rolled stainless that's so hard it can't be pressed (because it will break the press), just cut (hence the weird angles and poo poo). It will not crumple, and it will murder whoever is in the car it hits at high speed, along with its own driver more likely than not because of physics. Denting the body means that the entire frame is compromised. The windows are intended to be "unbreakable" (:lmao:) so there is theoretically no way for emergency crews to break into the vehicle in case of emergency, whether it's parked in front of a hydrant or burning the driver and passengers to death.

The Cybertruck's design that was sold as a preorder is completely loving illegal in every possible important metric. You know, like a concept car.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 13, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Halisnacks posted:

I don’t know the unit economics of the business, but I assume it is not losing money on each incremental dollar of revenue (happy to be proven wrong on this point).

Given that most of Twitter's revenue comes from advertising, which took a nose dive after Musk took over, combined with the new billions of dollars in loan obligations, yes I am certain Twitter is losing money badly right now.

Musk can try to rework Twitter into something else but he's already completely rebranded it as his own toxic playground. It's a sick and diseased place and barring a technical fault will wither into irrelevance (or whatever sort of relevance Truth Social has.)

I very much hope Tesla stock continues to fall drastically. The shorts were always right.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Every day I'm glad for my lovely 09 Ford. She's peice of poo poo but has absolutely saved my life from dumbshits driving distracted

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

I think they might be finally making... at least one of them?

That looks like a kid tried to make a car frame out of scaffolding in his dad's garage

Elon musk, bringing back pre-Fordian car design philosophy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

E the Shaggy posted:

After the shitshow that is Twitter, does anyone really want to trust Musk with a truck that's supposed to drive under water?

I regret to inform you that yes, there are people who will happily do exactly this.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I just read a story on the whole Chappelle/Musk thing, and a couple of interesting things stood out to me that weren't brought up in most of the general "Musk gets booed" news stories:

-All the comedians on the show, not just Chappelle, were railing against "wokeness" and "cancel culture". Both the opening acts, as well as Chris Rock (though to be fair, the article pointed out that a lot of Rock's criticism was more aimed at the performative nods towards progression that big media companies tend to do, but still).

-Near the end, when things broke down and the crowd was heavily booing Musk again and Chappelle finally snapped on them when he couldn't get them back on his side, one of the comments he made was that the crowd's booing was a sign of "pending civil unrest" and he snapped he'd like to see what "store" the crowd would "decimate" next, before finally telling them to "shut the gently caress up, with your boos". After watching the footage, it's pretty clear that Chappelle is 100% just another rich dude that's completely out of touch with how people feel these days (as if his misogynistic comments on Kamala Harris after the 2020 election, his TERFdom, and his anti-Semitism didn't already confirm all of that).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
from Ryan Broderick’s excellent Garbage Day newsletter:

quote:

What If This Is All Because Of Twitter Spam?

Elon Musk, and the crowd of venture capitalists he’s surrounded himself with, are really obsessed with spam on Twitter. Which has been something of a head-scratcher for a lot of folks outside of their clique, myself included. I’ve used the site every day practically for 15 years and have had over 50,000 followers on the platform for almost five years now. And the amount of spam I was encountering on the app was maybe a couple of weird tweets or DMs a month, if that — as long as I didn’t mention crypto.

Anytime I tweeted about crypto, my replies and other available channels would fill up garbage. And this was even more pronounced if I ever entered a Twitter Space. The other day I gained 300 followers after a Twitter Space, and 200 of them disappeared the next day. My DMs were, and still are, completely bricked with spam. It was a mess!

I struggle to take anything Musk says seriously, but I do wonder exactly how much his view of Twitter has been colored by the fact his mentions are absolutely crammed with crypto shills. This is, of course, very funny, because it’s his fault he’s associated with crypto in the first place. No one asked him to pump doge coin, but he craves attention from the worst possible people on Earth and, well, he got it, baby.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

explosivo posted:

I regret to inform you that yes, there are people who will happily do exactly this.
I'm very happy to see the exact same chuds who spend all their online time dick riding Musk to take a long salty bath in their death traps.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was it going under water or over it?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

it'll be the tesla version of an avatar 2 way of water tie-in

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Distinct possibility that's what he thinks neuralink will be.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just read a story on the whole Chappelle/Musk thing, and a couple of interesting things stood out to me that weren't brought up in most of the general "Musk gets booed" news stories:

-All the comedians on the show, not just Chappelle, were railing against "wokeness" and "cancel culture". Both the opening acts, as well as Chris Rock (though to be fair, the article pointed out that a lot of Rock's criticism was more aimed at the performative nods towards progression that big media companies tend to do, but still).

-Near the end, when things broke down and the crowd was heavily booing Musk again and Chappelle finally snapped on them when he couldn't get them back on his side, one of the comments he made was that the crowd's booing was a sign of "pending civil unrest" and he snapped he'd like to see what "store" the crowd would "decimate" next, before finally telling them to "shut the gently caress up, with your boos". After watching the footage, it's pretty clear that Chappelle is 100% just another rich dude that's completely out of touch with how people feel these days (as if his misogynistic comments on Kamala Harris after the 2020 election, his TERFdom, and his anti-Semitism didn't already confirm all of that).

I also read a comment that Chappelle said, "its all the people in the cheap seats booing", as if rich assholes are in solidarity over this prick.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Orc Priest posted:

You know what's even better than laughing at this dumb boer?

Giving https://www.post.news a try

It's the first twitter spinoff that looks like it has some real potential. Lots of good accounts are setting up shop there now. There is currently a waitlist to sign up for the site.

we don't need a twitter replacement, probably (says the person who formed an LLC to run a mastodon instance) but personally I stay away from Post and Hive, and, glaring 1990s web design aside, I basically agree with this take, and I believe post.news operates the same way. Looking at post it looks like they might?? have a web UI?? but I don't see any way to browse content without an account, gently caress that.

https://twitter.com/jwz/status/1595530261533319168

Instagram had the same problem. When Facebook bought them they realized this was not going to help the app compete with Twitter etc, and forced Instagram to have a web-facing side.

2016 article about Instagram posted:

All of the "social media" services want to lock you in. That's been the case for a while. They love their "walled gardens" and they think that so long as they tightly control their users and make it hard for them to escape, they will rule the world forever.
This was the business model of Compuserve. And AOL. And then a little thing called The Internet got popular for a minute in the mid 1990s, and that plan suddenly didn't work out so well for those captains of industry.

But here we go again.

Instagram tries to lock you into their app more than any of the other services. They are hardly even on the Internet at all...

The thing that makes the Internet useful is interoperability. These companies hate that. The thing that makes the Internet become more useful is the open source notion that there will always be more smart people who don't work for your company than that do, and some of those people will find ways to expand on your work in ways you never anticipated. These companies hate that, too. They'd rather you have nothing than that you have something they don't own.

Instagram didn't even really have a web site until 2012! You may not remember this, but it didn't used to be possible to see Instagram photos from a web browser at all.

Some socmedia phone app that requires me to install a phone app will never be a real twitter replacement. I used and read twitter for years and almost never bothered with any of the apps, hate having poo poo like that on my phone. I realize most people do use the apps, and that's fine, but it doesn't get around the need to have a public and web facing side which is search indexable, visible without being in the app, etc. Otherwise you are not at all trying to be Twitter and have the "common space conversation", you're trying to pull people into your little walled garden.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Mozi posted:

Given that most of Twitter's revenue comes from advertising, which took a nose dive after Musk took over, combined with the new billions of dollars in loan obligations, yes I am certain Twitter is losing money badly right now.

Yes, Twitter is highly likely still loss-making; it more or less always has been and there’s no reason to believe otherwise now. But Twitter losing money as a business overall =/= negative unit economics. The latter would mean the business loses money on each incremental dollar of revenue it earns. I assume that’s not the case.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tesla stock achieved new Low of the Year today @ $161.74.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Binary Logic posted:

Tesla's stock price is noticeably correlated with bitcoin/crypto in a way that, say, the S&P500 index is not.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we don't need a twitter replacement, probably (says the person who formed an LLC to run a mastodon instance) but personally I stay away from Post and Hive, and, glaring 1990s web design aside, I basically agree with this take, and I believe post.news operates the same way. Looking at post it looks like they might?? have a web UI?? but I don't see any way to browse content without an account, gently caress that.

the more immediate problem with hive is the owners have absolutely no loving idea what they're doing and shipped it with all permissions enforced on the clientside, so by directly poking the API you could edit other users posts, read their DMs, etc, etc

https://arstechnica.com/information...l&utm_brand=ars

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

strong "Andor making Death Star pieces" energy

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Binary Logic posted:

new low of the year, and a record high new lol of the year

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I've been randomly thinking about "only 10% boos" throughout the day and it makes me grin like an idiot every time.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

repiv posted:

the more immediate problem with hive is the owners have absolutely no loving idea what they're doing and shipped it with all permissions enforced on the clientside, so by directly poking the API you could edit other users posts, read their DMs, etc, etc

Lol. I mean, just lol.

I understand that making scalable software is a difficult problem and that the difficulty scales with the userbase, etc etc

This is just 101 level poo poo, though, like, "no test plan, no security testing, no QA"

loving lol, reading https://www.hivesocial.app/about-us --

Think about this loving timeline for a minute, :rubby:

June 2019 - founder is "gifted a laptop and begins to teach themselves to program"

October 2019 - Hive's first iOS app launches (!!)

Feb 2021 - Hive hits #1 spot on app store

Dec 2022 - they now have 1.5 million users and 175 employees

Going from "I can't code" to "i have an app in the iOS store" in under five months is fairly impressive, except, uh, building a massive social media network as your "learn how to code" project and then just getting it into the app store when your company (apparently at that time) was self funded and consisted of two people seems like pretty unhinged levels of arrogance.

Not touching this poo poo with a 10 meter test plan.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So what I'm getting from all that is, this show would have been massively improved if Will Smith was allowed walk through the audience and slapp the piss out of anyone on stage.

...Big Willie Style.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

repiv posted:

L M A O
M A O L
A O L M
O L M A

reminds me of the early days of Mastodon when you'd have an instance grow unexpectedly fast to hundreds/thousands of users, and then the admin would unintentionally delete the whole database because they didn't understand how Docker worked (except Hive actually cost real money to build and deploy)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ideally this would also gently caress up Chappelle 's image but I doubt it lol

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Agents are GO! posted:

Something I posted in another thread:

Don't leave, make them ban you. Then appeal it. We are far past the point where account numbers or advertiser angst is going to have any effect, it's not a publicly-traded company any more - there's no shareholders or board of directors to reign Elon in.

Making them ban you makes just a little more work for the moderation team and costs Elon money.

believe me i'm trying

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ideally this would also gently caress up Chappelle 's image but I doubt it lol

Is there anyone left? I think most of us who thought the dude was hilarious for saying "I'm rick james bitch" when we were kids figured out he's a rich old out of touch crank after his first netflix special.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

explosivo posted:

Is there anyone left? I think most of us who thought the dude was hilarious for saying "I'm rick james bitch" when we were kids figured out he's a rich old out of touch crank after his first netflix special.

He earned a lot of new/return fans after his 8:46 special (it was probably the best thing he ever did), but I don’t know if that was before or after the transphobic stuff started.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

He earned a lot of new/return fans after his 8:46 special (it was probably the best thing he ever did), but I don’t know if that was before or after the transphobic stuff started.

I'm pretty sure I've been hearing that levelled against him long before 2020. I also haven't really watched or made any effort to keep up with anything about Dave Chappelle since I was in junior high school really, but I'm pretty sure I heard the occasional comment of him being transphobic way every now and then for a couple of years before 2020.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found a good replacement for twitter. I go outside and look at some trees. It's very nice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Extra Large Marge posted:

I found a good replacement for twitter. I go outside and look at some trees. It's very nice.

I just wander around the neighborhood and peer in peoples' windows, hoping to see funny pet moments

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao this piece of poo poo was doing this "I'M TOTALLY A LIBERAL BUT VOTE REPUBLICAN GUYZ" back in May of 2020, when COVID was ravaging the US and Trump was doing loving nothing.

i'll be surprised if he actually voted before 2020.

Treecko posted:

Every day I'm glad for my lovely 09 Ford. She's peice of poo poo but has absolutely saved my life from dumbshits driving distracted

I'd rather ride in a 1983 station wagon before I'd ever get in a Tesla.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 13, 2022

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Libra posted:

I've been randomly thinking about "only 10% boos" throughout the day and it makes me grin like an idiot every time.

It's like when Trump got booed at a ball game and you could see his soul leaving his body:

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Extra Large Marge posted:

I went out today and saw a blue bird.

It attacked me.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just wander around the neighborhood and peer in peoples' windows, hoping to see funny pet moments

You could also get a megaphone, go downtown to find a few people just minding their own business, and yell "HEY YOU EVER NOTICE HOW THOSE FREE LITTLE LIBRARIES ARE NEOLIBERAL PROPAGANDA?".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Lol. I mean, just lol.

I understand that making scalable software is a difficult problem and that the difficulty scales with the userbase, etc etc

This is just 101 level poo poo, though, like, "no test plan, no security testing, no QA"

loving lol, reading https://www.hivesocial.app/about-us --

Think about this loving timeline for a minute, :rubby:

June 2019 - founder is "gifted a laptop and begins to teach themselves to program"

October 2019 - Hive's first iOS app launches (!!)

Feb 2021 - Hive hits #1 spot on app store

Dec 2022 - they now have 1.5 million users and 175 employees

Going from "I can't code" to "i have an app in the iOS store" in under five months is fairly impressive, except, uh, building a massive social media network as your "learn how to code" project and then just getting it into the app store when your company (apparently at that time) was self funded and consisted of two people seems like pretty unhinged levels of arrogance.

Not touching this poo poo with a 10 meter test plan.

lmao. So it's an app-only walled garden coded by a clueless student? Hmm yes sign me the gently caress up lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

these "who needs twitter? not me :smug:" hot takes sure are refreshing