Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kliras posted:

thanks. maybe i should just stop using the pi-hole at this point tbh. the lack of reliability is frustrating, and i don't think it's the first time an sd card is busted

I upgraded some PC components and had an extra SSD putting around, so I connected that to my pi in place of the SD card and never had any more trouble. If you'd have to buy a drive you're better off with an eBay laptop. But if you already have one you're not using, it's basically a set it and forget it solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Old NUC's are my project PC of choice. Can have nvme storage, if you get multiple they stack easily, and old models can be had quite cheap on ebay (and will still outperform any rpi in existence).

I got a stack of four of them earlier this year to make a home cluster to self-train on k8s stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I upgraded some PC components and had an extra SSD putting around, so I connected that to my pi in place of the SD card and never had any more trouble. If you'd have to buy a drive you're better off with an eBay laptop. But if you already have one you're not using, it's basically a set it and forget it solution.

Only a Pi 4 can directly boot from a USB drive. Pi 3 and below you have to use a SD card anyways, though you can just have a read-only bootstrap which should insulate from most power-out problems.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Pi 3B can boot from USB if you configure the OTP bit. 3B+ can boot from USB out of the box.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Klyith posted:

Only a Pi 4 can directly boot from a USB drive. Pi 3 and below you have to use a SD card anyways, though you can just have a read-only bootstrap which should insulate from most power-out problems.
All of the Pi 3 era devices (including the later "v1.2" Pi 2Bs and Zero 2 W) support USB booting as well, it just isn't enabled by default on most of them.

Pi 3B+ works out of the box just like Pi 4, other models need to have a specific bit set in OTP memory to enable booting from either USB or network. You have to boot from SD once to set that bit, but never again.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html#raspberry-pi-2b-3a-3b-cm3-cm3-zero-2-w

The read only bootstrap you mention (they call it "bootcode.bin-only" is needed for older Pis and works back to the original, but isn't usually needed for a unit from the last few years.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Klyith posted:

Setting my Pi's to do all writes to a fileserver eliminated all my SD card issues.

xzzy posted:

Old NUC's are my project PC of choice. Can have nvme storage, if you get multiple they stack easily, and old models can be had quite cheap on ebay (and will still outperform any rpi in existence).

I got a stack of four of them earlier this year to make a home cluster to self-train on k8s stuff.

Dell, HP, and Lenovo also sell "ultra small form factor" boxes that are basically laptop guts in a small box. And they can also be found for cheap on ebay. The biggest benefit to these is you get decent network interfaces that do PXE boot, and otherwise "just work" as well as any other x86 platform.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've spent the last nearly 3 years reproducing this which takes advantage of the Pi being a general-purpose computer and its GPIO pins that can be controlled via a purpose-built Python library. I'm not sure what, if any, substitutes there are that thread that needle without costing an arm and a leg.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

I've spent the last nearly 3 years reproducing this which takes advantage of the Pi being a general-purpose computer and its GPIO pins that can be controlled via a purpose-built Python library. I'm not sure what, if any, substitutes there are that thread that needle without costing an arm and a leg.
This is a great example of the sort of project that really does benefit from a "maker board" like a Pi. Something where the software side is substantially easier on a "real computer" rather than a microcontroller but the hardware side needs the GPIOs and/or other special interfaces that don't exist on normal PCs.

The general point being made in this discussion is that a lot of the things people are looking for a Pi or Pi-like for are just "small/cheap/low power Linux box" roles where there are nearly infinite PC-based options that are equally as good and sometimes even better for the role than a Pi.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you need loads of IO there's always the option to use an Arduino for that and then do all the processing on another device.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

I googled a bit and watched your awesome slideshow but what does this do?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wolrah posted:

The general point being made in this discussion is that a lot of the things people are looking for a Pi or Pi-like for are just "small/cheap/low power Linux box" roles where there are nearly infinite PC-based options that are equally as good and sometimes even better for the role than a Pi.

Still haven't found anything else that can reasonably run Pi-Hole while sipping <100mA.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
There is also a ton of boards with proper CPUs and gpio and i2c pins exposed.

The biggest issue is just that Raspberry Pi has all the market share, so it is a crap shoot on the other boards if you can just load a python package, or if the gpio driver works as you expect. And that just comes from so few people doing bug testing and submitting patches for those other boards.

Raspberry Pi hardware is not very special. The biggest selling point is that they put in the work to maintain a Linux distribution that for most projects.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tuyop posted:

I googled a bit and watched your awesome slideshow but what does this do?

I'm not martinwoodward, I'm just replicating that build after I saw him show it off 3 years ago. The entire thing has almost no point, which is itself kind of the point. It uses a REST API to trigger a software deployment in Azure DevOps, with a lot of flash and style around that. Instead of just clicking a button a web UI, you can pull out this fancy box with lights and buttons, and flip the toggles and push the button to trigger the deployment, with lots of exciting flashing going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hand it to the PM to let them launch a new feature

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

repiv posted:

I just use NextDNS, it has similar functionality but hosted and free/cheap

I used NextDNS before l switched to a PiHole, and the service worked fine and fast. I’m using NordVPN on my router more recently, but to be honest aside from torrenting the odd textbook/research NextDNS was the least browsing-impact of the three (but only by a sub-15ish ms if at all). I know they’re all three slightly different solutions to the same general problem, but Nord+uBlock origin seems to be fine for ads and I get VPN privacy to boot. I just got tired of setting up the pi every time the power blinked and buying SD cards.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
mullvad's vpn also comes with adblock+antimalware+antitracking+antigambling filter options nowadays

i tried out their public dns earlier, and they seem a bit too ... experimental at the moment

i'm just gonna settle for cloudflare's 1.1.1.2 for now and probably check out nextdns in the future

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rexxed posted:

I saw this on slickdeals. A couple of years back, a company made the Pi Top which was essentially a laptop shell that worked with a Raspberry Pi. They seem to be selling off the remaining kits that require a Raspberry Pi 3B+ (but do not include one) for $45 with free s/h. They have some kits with the Pi 3B+ for $115. It comes with a 14" 1080 screen, keyboard with trackpad, battery, cables/boards to support all that and a green case. It's not a bad deal for all of that but to use it as a Pi-top you'll need a Pi 3B+. I have one so I may pick it up. I figure the parts are easily worth the price even if I don't use it as a laptop since that's not going to be a great laptop. No idea how many they have but probably not a lot if they're selling off the remaining kits so they can move on from Pi Top 3 to Pi Top 4.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15941356-p...d?src=frontpage
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/pi-top-3-summer-sale/products/pi-top

edit: they do have some that include the Pi 3B+ also for $115:
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/pi-top-3-summer-sale/products/pi-top-3-with-raspberry-pi-3b
additionally if you buy one of the kits this pi-top speaker is free if the kit is in your cart, you just add this too:
https://shop.pi-top.com/collections/accessories-for-pi-top-3/products/pi-topspeaker

It took almost five months but my $45 Pi-Top arrived. I don't think I'll have time to mess with it until after xmas but despite the wait this green eyesore is kind of neat.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would like to play with a completely toy solar + battery setup for a Pi with some sensors, but some quick math showed me that even a Pi Zero 2 sucks down a considerable amount of power at idle, so I'm going to have to complicate my setup some more with a small microcontroller that wakes up the Pi occasionally, then cuts power.

Does anyone have a recommended solar + charger setup that they've validated works? I don't need small, so I'm really tempted to go with a cheap LiFePO4 or even NiMH battery back of some type, also because those are less likely to burn if I gently caress something up. To solve power usage, I'm thinking of throwing a Pi Pico in there too, having it spend almost all of its time in deep sleep mode, and then waking up according to a timer, letting the pi run long enough to do its thing, and then shutting it down again.

Also, does anyone have a recommended LoRaWAN setup for a Pi? My vision here is a self-contained solar powered box with sensors that can use LoRaWAN to wirelessly send values over line of sight about 1km.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Have you considered using an ESP32? It has very low idle power use and GPIO as well.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I just picked up a Heltec ESP32 with Lora built-in from Amazon. Forgot that I’d need two to play so the second one is on its way lol. It looks really nice though. Andre Speiss(?) on YouTube did a bunch of videos on Lora if anyone is looking/interested

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I would like to play with a completely toy solar + battery setup for a Pi with some sensors, but some quick math showed me that even a Pi Zero 2 sucks down a considerable amount of power at idle, so I'm going to have to complicate my setup some more with a small microcontroller that wakes up the Pi occasionally, then cuts power.

Does anyone have a recommended solar + charger setup that they've validated works? I don't need small, so I'm really tempted to go with a cheap LiFePO4 or even NiMH battery back of some type, also because those are less likely to burn if I gently caress something up. To solve power usage, I'm thinking of throwing a Pi Pico in there too, having it spend almost all of its time in deep sleep mode, and then waking up according to a timer, letting the pi run long enough to do its thing, and then shutting it down again.

Also, does anyone have a recommended LoRaWAN setup for a Pi? My vision here is a self-contained solar powered box with sensors that can use LoRaWAN to wirelessly send values over line of sight about 1km.

Assuming you're not particularly interested in embedded C, definitely look at micropython on a ESP32 board w/ wifi or a pi pico W and skip the full pi zero entirely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I want to use my Zero W to display a single webpage I host elsewhere, no interactions, a status page with some javascript to update/refresh, what's the best setup for that? It seems a pretty common use case, is there a distro that strips out as much of the desktop manager overhead as possible to just have a single fullscreen window with a chromium tab, to maximise resources to rendering smoothly? Probably rendering the page@640x480, it'll just be a lil screen.

I have a cute lil retro 70s slide viewer, I'm gonna pick up a 2.8inch screen, pull out the slide bit, and slide the screen and pi in and point it at my face on my desk and have status things and reminders on there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 27, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you install xdotool, you can run the following command:

firefox -url http://google.com & xdotool search --sync --onlyvisible --class "Firefox" windowactivate key F11

That will open firefox, set it to full screen and load that URL. Then you can create a .sh file, paste that command into it and then do chmod 775 on it to make it executable. Then you just have to get linux to run that bash script at startup, which I've never been good at figuring out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
"kiosk mode" is the term you're looking for WRT raspberry pi

ickna
May 19, 2004

quote:

chilipie-kiosk

Easy-to-use Raspberry Pi image for booting directly into full-screen Chrome, with built-in convenience features for unattended operation. Perfect for dashboards and build monitors.

https://github.com/jareware/chilipie-kiosk

I have several raspberries pi with this on it for home automation and it is basically bulletproof.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thanks, looks perfect and simple.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I set up

https://birdnetpi.com/

over the holidays and it's a lot of fun. I'm running on a zero 2W and it's pokey but I dont want to sacrifice my only 4b to it yet.

Install instructions are complete if a bit hard to follow. you have to branch depending on hardware. They're willing to debug Pi alternatives too if you've got another board lying around.

I've even learned a bit more about stuff I should know like switching power supply noise and mic preamps. It was a huge headache trying to jump straight into this stuff thinking I knew it. It's the old adage that teaching someone completely fresh is easier.

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi/discussions/39#discussioncomment-4634956

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Vaporware posted:

I set up

https://birdnetpi.com/

over the holidays and it's a lot of fun. I'm running on a zero 2W and it's pokey but I dont want to sacrifice my only 4b to it yet.

Install instructions are complete if a bit hard to follow. you have to branch depending on hardware. They're willing to debug Pi alternatives too if you've got another board lying around.

I've even learned a bit more about stuff I should know like switching power supply noise and mic preamps. It was a huge headache trying to jump straight into this stuff thinking I knew it. It's the old adage that teaching someone completely fresh is easier.

https://github.com/mcguirepr89/BirdNET-Pi/discussions/39#discussioncomment-4634956

That’s cool!

By any chance does it detect bats along with birds?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
According to some of the guys they can detect them with their fancy mics, but the TensorFlow database/model doesn't include them. There is definitely interest in it.

According to the project owner it's more of a PI oriented wrapper around that TF model. So I think it would be possible to adapt it with a lot of work? They haven't updated the bird model since 2018 due to inexperience with the main birdnet model, but the main dev is very active and involved so he's totally open to stuff like that being added.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Vaporware posted:

According to some of the guys they can detect them with their fancy mics, but the TensorFlow database/model doesn't include them. There is definitely interest in it.

According to the project owner it's more of a PI oriented wrapper around that TF model. So I think it would be possible to adapt it with a lot of work? They haven't updated the bird model since 2018 due to inexperience with the main birdnet model, but the main dev is very active and involved so he's totally open to stuff like that being added.

Huh, interesting. If it’s based on ML one would think it would be slam dunk easy to add them as just another bird. Just need a training sample of sounds… but I can see needing a better microphone maybe

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You're fine sampling birds at 48kHz, but at 8x that sample rate you're still not capturing the whole range of what bats can produce. That's going beyond what an off the shelf generic audio interface can sample at. That's also that many times the amount of data to process.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah the guys who can hear bats are running audiomoths. They're neat.

BirdNet is run by cornell university and they have iphone and android apps that are way more up to date than this pi project if you want to try it out without installing any pi stuff.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The android app is quite neat. It was never entirely sure about the bird I heard outside an hour ago, but it's definitely some little turdus. (Sorry)

When the bird is closer and/or there isn't a huge HVAC system being noisy on the roof next to me, it's quite precise.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 13, 2023

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
From what I've heard birders will hook their fancy mics up to their phone for a walk in the park to use that app, helps them figure out if there are any rarer birds nearby they should look for.

One of the most interesting things I learned about searching this stuff was stereo recording. Never thought about it, but it's obvious and really neat. Just hook up 2 mics about the distance between your ears.

Edit: oh I guess the main developer just quit. At least it's relatively stable right now.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 13, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to make a rocket telemetry module using a Pi Pico and this instructable. However, the Instructable is written for an Arduino and to save weight I want to power the whole module off of one or two CR2032 batteries using these holders.

The issue I'm running into is which pin to hook the battery holders up to when the time comes. Do I use pin 40 (VBUS) or pin 39 (VSYS) or both somehow? 3V3_EN on pin 37 instead? I'm not sure at all how to even phrase this beyond the non-answers I found.

Here's the messy wiring diagram for the GY-86 and an Uno R3

And the pinout for a Pico W

From this I think I should wire Pin 36 to 3.3V on the GY-86, SCL to Pin 31, SDA to Pin 32 and INTA to any GPIO pin, say Pin 29.

Would that work?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

I'm trying to make a rocket telemetry module using a Pi Pico and this instructable. However, the Instructable is written for an Arduino and to save weight I want to power the whole module off of one or two CR2032 batteries using these holders.

You might want to ask in the Arduino thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424) since I don't think the Pico runs Linux? right? I can't keep up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

You might want to ask in the Arduino thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424) since I don't think the Pico runs Linux? right? I can't keep up.

The Pico does microcontroller stuff and gets programmed with the Arduino IDE so it handily takes the same code, mostly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tuyop posted:

From this I think I should wire Pin 36 to 3.3V on the GY-86, SCL to Pin 31, SDA to Pin 32 and INTA to any GPIO pin, say Pin 29.

Would that work?

I may have missed a reason but why were you connecting the SCL on one side to SDA on the other and vice versa?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think VSS would be your "battery in", and VBUS would be "whatever's leftover from the USB connection". 3V3(OUT) is probably "whatever's leftover from the microcontroller on the 3V side of on-board voltage regulator".

I have no guesses about what 3V3_EN might be.

VSS and VBUS are probably 5V. You can probably run that board at 3V like you want, but hopefully someone who's actually used one will chime in.

(You might get better replies in the Arduino thread :wink:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I may have missed a reason but why were you connecting the SCL on one side to SDA on the other and vice versa?

I wasn’t doing that intentionally, I don’t know what scl or sda are and I don’t know if there are specific pins for them 😳😳