Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

mst4k posted:

What’s my best bet on getting bodies out of a 3 tile wide river connected moat? Pump water out and build a dam? Wait for it to freeze? I engraved slabs for the dudes that died but their bodies being “found” but in deep water but not buried has never stopped them from haunting me before.

It was a rough year for my fort. I bungled some sieges and I’m making a new entrance that will hopefully allow for us to fight on better … umm.. ground. I did go from 49 alcohol with 197 dwarfs to 1000+ alcohol with 202 dwarfs though! And we have quires and scrolls in the library! Enjoy your stay at the bumblebee inn!

Channel down to the cavern level, somewhere midway-down the hole install a floor grate that you can access from a stairway or whatever later, and then connect the moat to the channel and flush 'em. Then close up the moat and refill it, and go get your corpses off the sieve.

I have no idea if this will work but it'd be extremely funny enough if it did to try. Probably put a floodgate on the moat's new outlet so you can flush at will.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
story for gang tag

I don't know why I did this to myself. I expect it will be painful

--------------------------------------------------

9th of Granite

The Elders have returned with a decision to permit our expedition to set forth, and so I have started this journal as a way to record our efforts. They have pronounced Afe Cereninidela to lead our group, and he is currently busy putting together the supplies we will need to succeed. I will pray to Olova that they chose well.

10th of Granite

We set out for the southern edge of the forest when the first ray of lights reached down through the canopy. This will be the first time in decades that a settlement has been attempted outside the heart of our forest, but the necessity of it can no longer be ignored. Every branch in The Dipped Forest already bear as much weight as it can sustain, and those travelers who make it across the plains from The Tame Jungle and The Somber Forest tell of the same being the case there. If there are untamed forests left in this world that the new and short folk have not yet cut down, the Elders know not of them. I fear that eventually they will come even for our homes in their hunger to defile nature for fuel and industry.

12th of Granite

We passed a patrol of sentries this day. They spoke of a host of our soldiers having been sent north-west across The Rainy Dunes (the name lies. That place has never seen a cloud) the day before scour the goblins from the pit they have dug closest to our fort. If their supplies last, they will push further west after that to keep the goblins' attention from our efforts south of the forest. I should be grateful for their sacrifice, were goblins the only thing we had to fear. At least the elders saw fit to grant us a pair of great felines as guardians for our group.

15th of Granite

We have arrived at the southern edge of The Dipped Forest. Before us now lies only sun-seared shrub-land, and from the tallest tree even that gives way to bare hills before our sight reaches the horizon. We will have no great Shaping tree here to supply ourselves with. Oda Fecicirathi claims she can shape new wood from seeds to bolster the supply the Elders sent with us, but the thought of wood being made at a workbench instead of being granted by nature itself sits uneasy with me. I worry it is not the only obscenity that survival out here will demand of us.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Got my third strange mood on this fort and it's yet another Possessed one. Give me something here, game.

Edit: It's a loving DOG BONE coffin.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
When the administrators named our outpost "Apefortress", we had assumed they had done it as a joke. Our first year was uneventful, as expected. We were close to goblin territory, but we were relatively few and well-hidden. We thought ourselves secure. And then, one fateful spring morning, the apes came.

The were-ape took us by surprise. Had they not approached through our pasture, it surely would have doomed our fortress. On it's way into our stockpiles, it caught the attention of our herd of war dogs, and it bled out shortly after having both of it's arms torn off. It managed to kill a dozen or more dwarves in the process, however - most of our herbalists were dead, along with anyone else with a surface-level assignment, and a couple of poor fools who were just stopping by the larder to pick up some roasts. That was just the beginning of our problems.

We did our best to pick up the pieces. There was talk of abandoning the fort immediately - that the expedition was cursed. But the rich veins of the earth had provided well for us here, and we would not be so easily driven away. I ordered our stocks of gold to be committed to the burial efforts. We had hardly begun to carry the dead to their tombs when tragedy struck again. The moon changed, and the hooting whoops of were-apes resonated from within the fortress, all around us. The dogs saved us again, if only just. We ran out of gold before we ran out of dead to bury on the second full moon. We turned to copper for the rest. And then we armed ourselves.

Those who had survived the fighting banded together in a militia, arming themselves with whatever they could find. When the next moon came, so did the transformations. But we were ready.

Each full moon, more soldiers fell, and more recruits joined the militia. Our forgers exhausted our iron supply forging armor for our recruits. The cycle was beginning to weigh heavily on the fortress, and those who had survived the longest turned to prayer to get through these hard times. Facing another full moon, we dedicated a temple to the moon god and prayed for our salvation.

Our warriors stared each other down through the night, each preparing for the other to turn. But Nekut Dawnedlantern the Glittery had shown us mercy - it seems we are free of this curse at last, and will go ape no more.

(I don't know if building that temple actually did anything, or if we just didn't get any infections after the last full moon, but 22 of my dwarves assume that Nekut provides)

Gang tag request #3, sorry if the last ones weren't high effort enough, I hope this is okay?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 13, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think my small fort is too productive. Even with seven kids about to haul poo poo nothing is going anywhere because my dwarfs are making stuff at a phenomenal rate. Not that I ever have anything to trade, it's going into my massive stockpiles of booze and food. This is after I spent the first half of the year emergency making bedroom because we went from nine to to nineteen dwarves in one go, with most of them being kids.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

This is excellent, thank you.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

LegionAreI posted:

I fixed my artifact stealing problem:

Observe them through the steel bars, you little kleptos.

This is my plan too, there are designated "viewing holes" in my dining hall and temple.

I think I procrastinated on getting a temple and inn set up because I've noticed my dwarves' moods steadily sliding to red over the past few months; one guy is all the way there but can't seem to see that with a little more construction and hauling, he'll be getting drunk off his rear end in no time.

Also, the caravan from the mountainhomes is kinda just standing around in my fortress entrance, which means no new caravans and no migrant waves. Any suggestions on how to send them on their way?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

space uncle posted:

It’s the mussel shell, elves get pissed if you use that for crafts or decoration. They love those little crustaceans.

oh that's why they got mad when I dumped an enormous pile of shells on the trade floor and asked them to take out my trash

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also, soap aside, can you automate milking?

like, if I do this:

does that mean it'll automatically queue this up only if an animal is ready to be milked?
my assumption is no and that I have to do it by a certain amount of days instead.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Behold, the next generation of dwarf in my fortress, Legendhalls.

By Armok..

They're all little crazies.

In my quest to improve their surly mood by creating toys, I have supplied almost all of my dwarven children with toy axes, which they are delighting in playing with (mostly in the dead body pile.)

Ignoring these little murderhobos, I got an alert for a human axeman skulking around - I watched him for a bit and wasn't going to do anything (why interrupt the Fun?) until he started punching a dwarven child, so I sent The Squad after him, thinking they'd gear up. Nope, they just went and punched the shite out of a guy until he died, sending his teeth flying all over the kid. Now the child that he attacked is playing in the refuse pit surrounded by bits of the guy who attacked her.

Now I'm sitting at around 60k dwarfbits of created wealth, waiting for the first (year 2 is almost over) siege, or megabeast, or wereskink.

fake e:

The 300 year old goblin female grand master dancer has arrived with the dance troupe 'The Whirling Bellies' and is now performing in the tavern.
Two goblin snatchers have also shown up and for some reason, whilst braining them, one of my squad and a visiting human are now also fighting in the same spot, looks like one smacked the other accidentally and now they're pissed off.

(btw if this qualifies, I'd sure appreciate a tag - please replace the smarties and sam's club, ta.)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Do I need to do anything for egg collection? I have an impressive number of turkeys

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I started making new clothes for everyone and now there are threadbare socks all over the place. Do I have to dump them all individually?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Uh, I don't know if this is a bug, but I deleted an old labor work detail I had set up, and immediately all the entertainers I had accepted started doing work.

Oh whoa, wanna recreate this bug because Ii got a ton of slacker elves I for some reason thought would be workers rather than creeps who lurk around my tavern. I guess it is nice to have them as a buffer from random cave toads and such spawning in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I started making new clothes for everyone and now there are threadbare socks all over the place. Do I have to dump them all individually?

You can bulk unforbid and discard them with the menu at the very end of the taskbar

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dwarves are rude

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any recommendations for those kind of adjustments? For some reason the idea of a microfort is really appealing.

My post history has a detailed explanation of some of the changes I usually make, and I'll see if I can dig that up for you in a moment, but off the top of my head:

- Go into the standard civ raws and turn goblin sieges and raids down to some number that you'll actually hit (assuming you want them).
- In standard monsters, check each of the megabeast and semi-megabeast entries and make sure they're also set to attack based on attainable values.
- Titans are set at worldgen rather than in the raws, and I think it's actually not possible to disable Forgotten Beast attacks so you don't need to do anything there.
- In the settings init file (some of which might now be exposed in-game, but idk if all of it is) in addition to setting your own population cap, set proportionate (or not) caps for invaders, visitors, and children. In previous editions setting children to 0 didn't actually stop them from coming with migrant waves, but that may or may not have been fixed since.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

skooma512 posted:

You can bulk unforbid and discard them with the menu at the very end of the taskbar

You mean draw a box around them?

What I really want to do is filter the Stocks to display all loose Threadbare clothing items, then unforbid/dump them all in 1 or 2 clicks.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

IronicDongz posted:

like, if I do this:

does that mean it'll automatically queue this up only if an animal is ready to be milked?
my assumption is no and that I have to do it by a certain amount of days instead.

I don’t believe there’s a way to check if there’s an animal ready to milk - at least there didn’t used to be before steam, to my knowledge - but a repeating job should work, and just produce cancellation spam when it can’t be done. Pretty sure I did this in the steam version before I switched back to to the old version. The condition you have in that screenshot seems a bit pointless, since it’s just checking if your fortress has items of any type at all, so it’ll always be true.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Story for the gangtag, it can replace my Trump Antifa one if needed.

Set up a new embark to see what freezing tundra was all about. For the embark I cheated prepared carefully with ~200 nethercap logs, a bunch of food & drink, and breeding pairs of turkeys, cats, and war dogs. I haven’t really had any issues starting out yet, so just the one Proficient Axedwarf to safeguard my little caravan.

Immediately after arriving dwarves start unloading my logs, find a good spot to start tunneling, and everything seems fine!

What’s this?

Centering takes me to a blank patch of snow. A Giant polar bear sounds bad, but I’ve got dogs and the axedwarf so

Oh. Polar Bear People. Of course.

And they are in cahoots with the very friendly giant polar bear, obviously.

After watching the polar bear people kill my dogs and maim the only combat-capable members of the crew, my dwarves just started letting the polar bear people steal my food and alcohol from the Dwarf Cart Tavern where polar bear people drink for free.

The polar bear people drank through 34 beers and ales, ate all my plump helmets, and helped themselves to 40ish various prepared intestines and brains before I could move everything. One Nethercap door later and things stabilized pretty okay!

In the end this was just a little Fun. While I was focused on making sure no dwarves bled out, the polar bear people wandered off the map so I guess everything is fine now. And as a bonus two dwarves learned love can bloom on the battlefield!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Do I need to do anything for egg collection? I have an impressive number of turkeys
Build and place nest boxes. Lock two birds of the right sexes in a room with one to ensure you get new birds.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Hey y'all, sorry if this question has been answered in the last couple of pages and I just didn't notice it; but what management improvements/lag fixes does the new steam version come with? Does it have a dfhack and dwarf therapist equiv?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lady Militant posted:

Hey y'all, sorry if this question has been answered in the last couple of pages and I just didn't notice it; but what management improvements/lag fixes does the new steam version come with? Does it have a dfhack and dwarf therapist equiv?

It will, but not yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My post history has a detailed explanation of some of the changes I usually make, and I'll see if I can dig that up for you in a moment, but off the top of my head:

- Go into the standard civ raws and turn goblin sieges and raids down to some number that you'll actually hit (assuming you want them).
- In standard monsters, check each of the megabeast and semi-megabeast entries and make sure they're also set to attack based on attainable values.
- Titans are set at worldgen rather than in the raws, and I think it's actually not possible to disable Forgotten Beast attacks so you don't need to do anything there.
- In the settings init file (some of which might now be exposed in-game, but idk if all of it is) in addition to setting your own population cap, set proportionate (or not) caps for invaders, visitors, and children. In previous editions setting children to 0 didn't actually stop them from coming with migrant waves, but that may or may not have been fixed since.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&userid=112546&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post483151082

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gosts posted:

I'm curious. What are the top three things you'd wanted added or fixed? Be realistic, no brand new mega-features.

i'm spoilering my answers because i want YOU to think about YOURS first, before you read mine, so i don't influence your mind.

1. Owned items becoming un-owned under certain circumstances. Old clothes, food dropped by soldiers.
2. trader depot not loving up and merchants not getting stuck at my base
3. not clicking EVERY BRICK when i want to place 70, but they just fixed that, so instead, maybe making it easier to select the same materials you have down, or something. like, in factorio, i can mouse over a building and press 'q', and then my cursor turns into 'place another one of this building'. would be very nice to be able to copy any material or object and place another one.

Filters for Stocks display, such as listing items by factors like Quality instead of Material, listing multiple categories of items at once, allow searches within that list, etc.

It could be a much more powerful tool than it is now.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 13, 2022

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

How do I harvest honey? My hives have had the “gather ready” box checked for years but nobody wants to gather from them. I have a clay pot ready to capture it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

she saw a dog

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well she is 3ft tall and looks like a chew-toy

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

like, if I do this:

You can set it to look for available milkable items >=1 (or whatever it is you desire).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LegionAreI posted:

I fixed my artifact stealing problem:

Observe them through the steel bars, you little kleptos.

Love this, but I'd never do it because I enjoy interrogating people too much. I make extra cells with floodgates on them just so I can lock unruly artifact thieves away forever. It's very satisfying.

space uncle posted:

It’s the mussel shell, elves get pissed if you use that for crafts or decoration. They love those little crustaceans.

It's a living thing!

IronicDongz posted:

she saw a dog

Kobolds are adorable.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It will, but not yet.

drat! Well i guess ill try it without. ty for the answer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Clocks posted:

You can set it to look for available milkable items >=1 (or whatever it is you desire).
...so a cow is a 'milkable item' when it can be milked, and not when it can't?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Khanstant posted:

Oh whoa, wanna recreate this bug because Ii got a ton of slacker elves I for some reason thought would be workers rather than creeps who lurk around my tavern. I guess it is nice to have them as a buffer from random cave toads and such spawning in.

No idea what exactly caused it, but I just deleted a custom work detail I had accidentally set up earlier (nobody was even using it), and the second I closed the labor window, I noticed a cloud of bards run from the tavern and immediately join in on smoothing the next room over.

I suspect that maybe the "entertain" tag for the entertainers is set up like a hidden work detail, and by deleting my custom one, it accidentally reverted all the units using it to the default one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

space uncle posted:

How do I harvest honey? My hives have had the “gather ready” box checked for years but nobody wants to gather from them. I have a clay pot ready to capture it.

Make sure someone has the Beekeeping labor assigned.

An agitated Giant great horned owl and a Giant falcon both appeared at my fort and killed a couple kids, then the visiting dwarf merchants, then the owl killed the falcon. Then a flock of Giant agitated cardinals showed up and murdered a couple more people.

I really need to get better at getting a military going, though it would help if I hadn't received no migrants at all for the previous two seasons.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man when work orders go awry they go hard.

I wanted 5 gypsum plaster bags. Why do I have 47.

No wonder my farmers always yelled about no bags to process quarry bushes into.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

What's your favorite profession that might as well just say "recruit"?

Mines soapmaker. Yes it's nice to have some soapmakers, but I swear a migrant caravan of 10 dawrves will come with 6 soapmaker, a farmer, and 3 children.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Gelder

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Make sure someone has the Beekeeping labor assigned.

An agitated Giant great horned owl and a Giant falcon both appeared at my fort and killed a couple kids, then the visiting dwarf merchants, then the owl killed the falcon. Then a flock of Giant agitated cardinals showed up and murdered a couple more people.

I really need to get better at getting a military going, though it would help if I hadn't received no migrants at all for the previous two seasons.
Try embarking less close to Satans aviary.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:hmmyes:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gelder is actually a pretty decent niche skill for one dwarf in your fortress to have, since there's a risk of both the gelder and the geldee getting injured during the process IIRC

meanwhile like 5 bars of soap will last your fortress for years and there's no quality concerns, soap is soap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jazerus posted:

dwarves are rude

that's amazing. What a jerk.