Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It went like this (numbers made up):

100,000 watts was fed into the experiment facility from the power company

50,000 watts was lost to inefficiencies while the equipment generated the laser beam

50,000 watts shot out of the lasers and hit the fuel

60,000 watts came out of the fuel when it fused

So in the context of a science experiment the fusion was energy positive (10,000 more watts came out of the fuel than went into it), which is brand new and why this is big news, but within the larger nonscientific context of "can the facility run itself on fusion while generating useful electricity to distribute" it still fell short by a large margin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

shoeberto posted:

"In other words, this fusion breakthrough could propel a ball far enough for a field goal over a distance of 3 football fields"

"In other words, think of what Harry Kane did on his 2nd penalty shot"

https://i.imgur.com/CxwtRbA.mp4

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 13, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Diane Feinstein plans to make an announcement in the coming months about her Senate career.

Seems likely she will announce she will be retiring (seeing as she passed on the Senate Pro Tem title and turned down the Chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee).

She says she will not retire in the middle of the term and that means she will likely decline to run for re-election and set up an open seat in 2024.

Reps. Ro Khanna, Katie Porter, Adam Schiff, and Barbara Lee have already been asking for money and endorsements for a potential 2024 Senate race.

https://twitter.com/NolanDMcCaskill/status/1602472109791379456

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Diane Feinstein plans to make an announcement in the coming months about her Senate career.

Seems likely she will announce she will be retiring (seeing as she passed on the Senate Pro Tem title and turned down the Chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee).

She says she will not retire in the middle of the term and that means she will likely decline to run for re-election and set up an open seat in 2024.

It sucks how much everyone has to pretend she’s fit for purpose when she obviously is not. I have more power to take away my mom’s driver’s license than anyone has to control this woman’s utter inability to perform a supposedly-critical job. A society built on so much kayfabe and deference to power cannot help but be incapable of addressing actual material needs, IMO.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m gonna make a movie about the whacky hijinks of a team of interns using the dead body of a senator to pass hilarious legislation and call it Weekend at Diane’s

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

It sucks how much everyone has to pretend she’s fit for purpose when she obviously is not. I have more power to take away my mom’s driver’s license than anyone has to control this woman’s utter inability to perform a supposedly-critical job. A society built on so much kayfabe and deference to power cannot help but be incapable of addressing actual material needs, IMO.

Agreed. Even if the job is in and of itself powerless, offering Feinstein the 3rd-in-line-of-Presidential-succession is seriously :psyduck:

The committee chair thing, too, of course.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Instead, Patty Murray got it. :getin:

I should explain further, this position is also linked with being the chair of Senate Appropriations.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 13, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Reps. Ro Khanna, Katie Porter, Adam Schiff, and Barbara Lee have already been asking for money and endorsements for a potential 2024 Senate race.

https://twitter.com/justin42310/status/1602663236830117892

lol

I have no idea how to fix this. There's no way senators are going to impose a mandatory retirement age on themselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

Agreed. Even if the job is in and of itself powerless, offering Feinstein the 3rd-in-line-of-Presidential-succession is seriously :psyduck:

The committee chair thing, too, of course.

The Presidential Succession line is part of the constitution. They didn't offer it to her, someone pushed her to pre-announce that she would pass it along to the next person in the chain if it every came to that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The Presidential Succession line is part of the constitution. They didn't offer it to her, someone pushed her to pre-announce that she would pass it along to the next person in the chain if it every came to that.

The Presidential Succession Act is not a part of the Constitution.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Constitution only authorizes Congress to establish the line of succession beyond the VP. The actual line of succession is controlled by statute. It was last updated in 2006 to add the Secretary of Homeland Security (as last in line)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

The Presidential Succession Act is not a part of the Constitution.

Correct, sorry. I should have said it was part of the law. It wasn't something they offered her, though. It was something she had to pre-emptively decline.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I have no idea how to fix this. There's no way senators are going to impose a mandatory retirement age on themselves.

Maybe you could get some on board by making the retirement age only apply to senators elected in the future, not any of the ones currently sitting.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

at the end of the day, voters are entitled to elect incompetents

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Aristotle was right, democracy sucks

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Aristotle was right, democracy sucks

It’s great inside the union hall. Just gets worse and worse the more you let rich people take part in it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gort posted:

Maybe you could get some on board by making the retirement age only apply to senators elected in the future, not any of the ones currently sitting.

A bunch of old people grandfathering themselves sounds about right, honestly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1556760810684284934

I'm still not entirely sure what this means but I think it means that it's good Feinstein isn't one bad day from the nuke button?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattLaslo/status/1556760810684284934

I'm still not entirely sure what this means but I think it means that it's good Feinstein isn't one bad day from the nuke button?

Jesus loving Christ, for those who don't want to bother clicking through to the transcript:

quote:

“David, where are my keys?” Feinstein asked her chief of staff.

“I’ve got them right here,” he replied, as he shook the keys. “I went to the house when the laundry was done.”

“Oh, okay,” Feinstein replied.

“We’re ready to go over there whenever you’re done,” Feinstein said.

“And where’s my puppy?” Feinstein asked in response.

“We had to put her in the back of the house earlier,” her staffer replied.

“Yeah. she probably had to get some rest,” Sen. Amy Klobuchar added.

“Puppies have a nap, now it’s time for you to have one,” Elizabeth Warren told Feinstein.

“I love that animal,” Feinstein said.

“Yeah. We feel that way about our doggie too,” Warren said.

“Oh, it’s so nice. She curls up around you,” Feinstein said. “The best.”

At 11:54am [about 30 minutes later], Feinstein and her staffer exited the same elevator just off the Senate floor.

“Where are we going?” Feinstein asked as they exited the elevator.

They were walking back to the Senate floor.

“So for this vote, I have you down as a ‘No,’” Feinstein’s chief of staff replied.

Emphases and brackets mine

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does she currently own a live dog

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Imagine the confusion if the Senate had added a big sex puppy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if this is worse than what the Republicans kept doing with Strom Thurmond or not but it's terrifyingly bad regardless.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does she currently own a live dog

Did in March at least. No word since.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

haveblue posted:

Imagine the confusion if the Senate had added a big sex puppy

At least Herschel wouldn’t have had to worry about knocking her up.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think Mr. Walker did much worrying about that...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

projecthalaxy posted:

Did in March at least. No word since.

she probably forgot about it and its like either living with someone else or like a skeleton by a bowl.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Jesus loving Christ, for those who don't want to bother clicking through to the transcript:

Emphases and brackets mine

i mean id have had to hear it on video but holy gently caress.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

The fact that they're encouraged to is just icing on the cake. And if the only options are incompetent? Well, that's democracy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Angry_Ed posted:

I can't tell if this is worse than what the Republicans kept doing with Strom Thurmond or not but it's terrifyingly bad regardless.

Hard to say. Feinstein can at least walk on her own and is sometimes lucid. It's awkward that people have been trying to push her into retirement for 4 years, but she is the only one who can retire and refuses to do so. So, they just weirdly move along while everyone tries to convince her to retire and leaks to reporters about how worried they are about her.

Thad Cochran had dementia and was taking medication for it for the last 8 years he served as a Senator. He was finally convinced to resign in the middle of his term in 2018.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

There's not like a 25th amendment type thing for saying a senator is not medically able to their job right? Like I guess impeachment but being old isn't an impeachable crime?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

projecthalaxy posted:

There's not like a 25th amendment type thing for saying a senator is not medically able to their job right? Like I guess impeachment but being old isn't an impeachable crime?

The Senate can expel a member with a 2/3 vote for "disorderly behavior."

They never defined what "disorderly behavior" is, but only a few Senators have ever been expelled and all of them were for treason or joining the confederacy (but, I repeat myself).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

First major national poll to show DeSantis ahead of Trump - and way ahead.

It's just one poll and primary season isn't kicking off for real for another few month, plus there's still campaigning to do. Have to see if any other polls back this up / if DeSantis pulls the trigger and officially gets in / whether campaigning has any major impact.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1602658397198901249

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hard to say. Feinstein can at least walk on her own and is sometimes lucid. It's awkward that people have been trying to push her into retirement for 4 years, but she is the only one who can retire and refuses to do so. So, they just weirdly move along while everyone tries to convince her to retire and leaks to reporters about how worried they are about her.

Thad Cochran had dementia and was taking medication for it for the last 8 years he served as a Senator. He was finally convinced to resign in the middle of his term in 2018.

I remember Cochran cheating on his wife when she was dying with dementia. Didn't realize he ended up having it too.

I've dealt with multiple family members suffering from it and I think even mild cases are enough that they shouldn't be in a position like Congress. It's a high bar but also yeah, Congress should be a high bar. Even mild Alzheimer's is a nightmare of details and expertise slipping away and it doesn't get better. There is no going in reverse or suddenly coming back and being able to function at all levels again.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
When was the last time Feinstein had to do a debate?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I remember Cochran cheating on his wife when she was dying with dementia. Didn't realize he ended up having it too.

I've dealt with multiple family members suffering from it and I think even mild cases are enough that they shouldn't be in a position like Congress. It's a high bar but also yeah, Congress should be a high bar. Even mild Alzheimer's is a nightmare of details and expertise slipping away and it doesn't get better. There is no going in reverse or suddenly coming back and being able to function at all levels again.

Yeah, Cochran's dementia was sort of an open secret. They interviewed a DC pharmacist who provides medication to Senators and said he was concerned that he had been filling prescriptions for Alzheimer's medication for one for years. He was barely present for votes for about a year. Then, he had a urological issue that kept him at home for months. Then, he suddenly released a statement saying he was resigning and he died a year later.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

When was the last time Feinstein had to do a debate?

The most recent one I could find is this hour plus debate from 2018. I haven't watched it due to work constraints.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?453176-1/california-senate-debate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

The fact that they're encouraged to is just icing on the cake. And if the only options are incompetent? Well, that's democracy.

i mean, at the end of the day i would rather have feinstein as my senator than whoever the last republican who ran was. the thing about legislators is they really only need to do what they're told to be pretty good.

that said, california's primary system means that next election is probably a Democratic candidate running against her in the general election

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

i mean, at the end of the day i would rather have feinstein as my senator than whoever the last republican who ran was. the thing about legislators is they really only need to do what they're told to be pretty good.

that said, california's primary system means that next election is probably a Democratic candidate running against her in the general election

It was that way in the last election but based on DeLeons recent behavior I'm not certain if Feinstein winning was the worse outcome.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I have horrible news about Alzheimer's and your ability to follow directions.

Edit: honestly this feels like paradoxical nonsense where being a senator is both wildly complicated and important and also so simple a person with Alzheimer's needs to follow directions and press the button the right way.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 13, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thad Cochran was given a mulligan on his vote after making a whoopsie on at least one occasion

(I mean, given what that vote actually was, we'd probably all be better off if he hadn't, but the point is the Senate is flexible in this regard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Re-reading the transcript it's entirely plausible that Warren was not referring to Feinstein as "our doggie," rather her actual dog, and I feel kinda dumb for reading it that way.

But there's still no mistaking the :dementia: in the second part.