Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

With how well the HG has been selling I'd be shocked if we don't get an MG Aerial announcement in the near future.

Given the Full Mechanics and the recent MG slowdown, I'd be more surprised if we got it soon than if we didn't.

A big part of the delay for MG Barbatos was the fact they had two kits out already with market overlap. The second a MG shows up, sales drop for the Full Mechanics.

I'd also think budgetting for Witch kits is going to want to wait until it settles a little more. Once Aerials are able to sit on store shelves for more than five minutes, Bandai will have a better idea how much market demand there is, and how big a run they'll be able to easily sell out.

In addition, that'll let Bandai know what fans want and what are the "big" moments a kit'll want to reference, rather than having things like Barbatos without a mace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
With this armored core being published by Bandai and From being such hot property these days, please some non-koto ACs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

In addition, that'll let Bandai know what fans want and what are the "big" moments a kit'll want to reference, rather than having things like Barbatos without a mace.

Also maybe avoid a repeat of "Meet the Dilanza, oops watch it get sliced like potato chips in two seconds".

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Gripweed posted:

Looks like we're getting a bunch of new announcements next week

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1602157846409662465?s=20&t=L7MfwmhHJL3YCTDdPMoBqw

I kinda suspect that the stories of Kyoukai Senki kits clogging shelves forever might have been somewhat exaggerated if they're still announcing new Kyoukai Senki models now well after the show ended.

When I last stopped in my hobby shop I mentioned that I wasn’t really jazzed about the Gundam series and while I liked the 30MM I was looking for some other options. The guy working there pointed out the Kyoukai Senki kits but I don’t really like the designs. He then tried to sell me on some kits about an anime about Nazis

I like the Frame Arm models and the Kotobukiya lines, but he didn’t mention them at all. In retrospect, him directing me to the Kyoukai Senki first night mean they’re trying to move that stock.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYOUKGanos

Except replace the butterfingers with Kyoukai Senki kits.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

LawfulWaffle posted:

When I last stopped in my hobby shop I mentioned that I wasn’t really jazzed about the Gundam series and while I liked the 30MM I was looking for some other options. The guy working there pointed out the Kyoukai Senki kits but I don’t really like the designs. He then tried to sell me on some kits about an anime about Nazis

I like the Frame Arm models and the Kotobukiya lines, but he didn’t mention them at all. In retrospect, him directing me to the Kyoukai Senki first night mean they’re trying to move that stock.

He might have pointed out the Kyoukai Senki kits because you ruled out the first and second most popular Bandai model lines already. KS is a big recent model line with modern kits and unique designs, it's the obvious thing to suggest based on what you told him. I'm gonna guess the "anime about nazis" was 86, because the main lady wears a military uniform with a hat, so it sounds like he was just going down the line of current Bandai model kit lines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYOUKGanos

Except replace the butterfingers with Kyoukai Senki kits.

Minor rebuke; The Bunyip Boomerang is a great desk toy and worth a buy just for being an Australian Metal Gear Rex, including the fold-out legs. :australia:

Everything else in the line.. yeah, nah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I'm not expecting an Aerial MG until at least this first run of episodes is done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny to me that some of the Urdr Hunt IBO suits got model kits before the phone game even came out.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Just got into building these. I fear my future. I started with some 30mm ones and it was a chill easy time.

I've heard the new lines are fun to build but the witch kits seem to be only just arriving. Which other lines are good/fun to build - and maybe avoid? After ordering a Reincar I got warned the ibo line isn't a good build time. It looked cool and has a big sword. I thought it would be nice. :saddowns:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You should be fine with most kits made after 2012-13. They moved from ball and socket joints to a peg and polycap connection that gives kits a lot more posability.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Just “finished” the HG Psycho Zaku (I’m not applying black stickers over black plastic, and I need some distance and an airbrush before I paint this thing), and that could easily be the most frustrating build I’ve had yet. Mulched most of the foot poly caps and had to carve down their pegs, then broke the joint on the right trigger hand at the very end, so no shooting pose for me. Not to mention the heavily swirled injection gold verniers on everything, and plastic bad enough that I had to check my nippers weren’t dull. Is this a known problem set, or did I just have bad luck?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't built the Psyco Zaku but I have noticed that the plastic quality of the Thunderbolt kits I have built feels lower quality than other HG lines.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'll always stick up for Ghost's kit on the AMAIM line, just because at least a bit of thought went into the design compared to 'uh, a red one, a blue one, and a yellow one :effort:'.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Arc Hammer posted:

You should be fine with most kits made after 2012-13.
*me petting my distraught z'gok* There there..

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Just got into building these. I fear my future. I started with some 30mm ones and it was a chill easy time.

I've heard the new lines are fun to build but the witch kits seem to be only just arriving. Which other lines are good/fun to build - and maybe avoid? After ordering a Reincar I got warned the ibo line isn't a good build time. It looked cool and has a big sword. I thought it would be nice. :saddowns:

IBO kits are great. It's just that they tend to get a bit floppy with age unless you tighten the joints, and some of the more topheavy ones can slump.

It'll be a fun, easy build. Don't worry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tin Tim posted:

*me petting my distraught z'gok* There there..

"Most"

The 2010 RG Zaku 2 is still king poo poo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

IBO kits are great. It's just that they tend to get a bit floppy with age unless you tighten the joints, and some of the more topheavy ones can slump.

The one exception being the big arms one. That one is really disappointing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

finally, my brain

Haven't done anything but take a look in the box but the instructions are big, clear and full colour by the look of things so that's nice

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CommunityEdition posted:

Just “finished” the HG Psycho Zaku (I’m not applying black stickers over black plastic, and I need some distance and an airbrush before I paint this thing), and that could easily be the most frustrating build I’ve had yet. Mulched most of the foot poly caps and had to carve down their pegs, then broke the joint on the right trigger hand at the very end, so no shooting pose for me. Not to mention the heavily swirled injection gold verniers on everything, and plastic bad enough that I had to check my nippers weren’t dull. Is this a known problem set, or did I just have bad luck?

Wanted the suit to match the pilot?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Wanted the suit to match the pilot?

Hah! I hadn’t thought of that, but I guess I got off lightly only giving a bit of thumb skin to this thing

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
RE/100 line apparently confirmed dead (as if we didn’t know already) as part of a reduced emphasis on 1/100 kits (again, duh.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

chiasaur11 posted:

Good to hear! I've also got a sinanju stein sitting in a box. Gonna save that one for when I have more experience with properly murdering nubbies.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

RE/100 line apparently confirmed dead (as if we didn’t know already) as part of a reduced emphasis on 1/100 kits (again, duh.)

Gee, what a complete shock. :rolleyes:

Maybe if Bandai actually knew what the gently caress they were doing with it it would have been their most popular line.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

CommunityEdition posted:

The poly caps are a known thing, but they've mostly moved away from that style of polycap now. And yes Puke GoldTM plastic is just bad.

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe if Bandai actually knew what the gently caress they were doing with it it would have been their most popular line.

Don't worry, they know what they're doing. Kyokai Senki is gonna take off any day now, just you wait and see. :shepface:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I can't really imagine that.

MG scale is already a harder sell than HG since it's bigger and costs more. RE/100 loses the MG detail but keeps most of the MG price. I can see a niche if I squint, but beating out HG or RG? How do you see that happening?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chiasaur11 posted:

I can't really imagine that.

MG scale is already a harder sell than HG since it's bigger and costs more. RE/100 loses the MG detail but keeps most of the MG price. I can see a niche if I squint, but beating out HG or RG? How do you see that happening?

By not limiting the line to obscure MSV-tier suits. RE/100 should have been the line for filling out the Gundam teams that they don't want to put MG engineering into, or at least updating some of their archaic MG protagonist suits, like the GP0's.

I'm just salty that we're once again denied a 1/100 Leo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

There was no way that the line of more expensive models of less popular Suits was ever going to be their most popular lin

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It worked really well as a line when they used it to release companion pieces to MG releases, like Vigna Ghina for F91 and Zaku Kai for Gundam Alex.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm just completely done with HGs at this point, and it seems RGs and MGs are 99% and 90% Gundams respectively (except for a handful of P-Bandai MGs which Bandai still don't sell in Europe). :rip:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The idea is not completely dead, since Full Mechanics is a thing that exists. They aren’t exactly churning out those releases, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bimmi posted:

The idea is not completely dead, since Full Mechanics is a thing that exists. They aren’t exactly churning out those releases, though.

Those are 100% Gundams, so it's even worse.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Looks like grim times for 1/100 collectors, no doubt.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One day I'll get the MG Stark Jegan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I saw some L-Gaim kits at my (not so) local hobby store. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've always dug their designs.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I saw some L-Gaim kits at my (not so) local hobby store. Does anyone have any experience with them? I've always dug their designs.

I made the Aug and was pretty disappointed. It's a really basic build, really floppy and really ugly.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The problem with the L-Gaim kits is they're really old and even the recent rerelease versions are only partial updates.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
It is almost time:

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2619353001001

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Hey folks,

I've built a couple HG kits and am itching for something new.

What do you think would be a better idea?

A 4 GameStop clearance 1/144 kits I can get for about $82

or do I spring for:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby...pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

I'm a sucker for Purple and Pink.

I'm very new to this whole thing so if you have better suggestions on where to shop, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

god gently caress i'm gonna have to