Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Looks like we'll find out soon if Rodon will be a Yankee. Another Giants vs. Yankees free agent battle

https://nypost.com/2022/12/12/yankees-expected-to-make-formal-carlos-rodon-offer-very-soon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MrMidnight posted:

Another Giants vs. Yankees free agent battle
AJ Preller wakes from hibernation...

On spinrate and Musgrove:
There is a positive relationship between spin rate and velocity, that differs somewhat by pitch:

Sarris and The Athletic give more weight to a 6 year old study from Driveline (to be clear, this was done in 2016, not about improving the mechanics of first graders):

quote:

So this data suggests that we can say there is an innate relationship between spin rate and velocity for an individual pitcher but not across a large population of pitchers.

Correlation of Spin and Velocity
Pitcher 1: 0.96 R^2
Pitcher 2: 0.86 R^2
Pitcher 3: 0.83 R^2
Pitcher 4: 0.93 R^2
Pitcher 5: 0.96 R^2
Pitcher 6: 0.54 R^2
Pitchers 1-5 had the same grip and were told to repeat their mechanics, Pitcher 6 was told to attempt to change his mechanics each throw.

A given pitcher will see elevated spin rates as their velocity increases. Eno has also previously found that for a given pitcher the range between their max fastball velocity and average fastball velocity diminishes considerably in the playoffs --- the pitcher's baseline is closer to their redline during the postseason

So, we've seen that there's a relationship between spinrate and velo and that velo increases in the playoffs. That spinrate and velo each increase for Musgrove, then, is both unsurprising and unsuspicious. Our next question is if the spin increase is disproportionate to the velo spike:

What we see is that his rpm per mph is within his normal fluctuation throughout the season -- that if he (against all evidence) was doctoring the ball, it was being done without perceptible gains compared to prior starts.

I am grateful to Buck for having the umps check, though. It ensures eargate remains the domain of only the dumbest fans and gave us a couple of the postseason's best images:

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1579275887572549633

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I really found that whole charade incredibly loathsome. Always liked Buck prior to that but turned on him pretty viciously at that moment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

I really found that whole charade incredibly loathsome. Always liked Buck prior to that but turned on him pretty viciously at that moment.

It's a do or die move by Buck, if he's right well that's big for his team but if he's wrong he looks like a tool and now his team is even more defeated knowing Musgrove wasn't cheating they're just getting clowned on that badly.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Someone sell me on Rodon. I dont know why Yankees fans would want him other than seeing that he is the “best pitcher available” in free agency.

He has a lot of red flags for me to want the team to give him a big contract. He is a fly ball pitcher who would be moving from Oracle Park to Yankee Stadium. He is a two pitch pitcher who relies mainly on a fastball that has only had the current velocity for two seasons. His 178 innings this past season is a career high and only has one other season above 150 innings because he has a long list of injuries, which are all arm related (notably shoulder surgery and tommy john).

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
You said it yourself he's the best available pitcher you can just buy with money right now. All the red flags don't go away but sometimes that's the situation you end up in.

And to be fair a FIP significantly under 3 for two years running is really, really good so if he can keep that up he's definitely worth it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rodon's a good pitcher with a lot of upside. I think the nature of the Yankee rotation gives him kind of an interesting value. At his best he's 1-2 with Cole with Nestor, Severino, and presumably Montas behind him. That's potentially a killer rotation. If he's not an ace he could still be 3 or 4 behind Nestor and Severino who could be aces. There's always the worst case scenario but you can't plan for that. He'd really shore up the rotation and push Montas back to 5 and German/Clarke to the pen/6. So I think there's huge potential value there. Just a question of if the Yankees think he's worth the cost.

I know I don't think bring Eovaldi back to the Bronx to save money is a good option. I think that's probably keeping the Yanks in on Rodon despite concerns about the years/cost. And not adding anyone probably feels too passive. I'm not a big believer in "adding whoever just because you need" and neither is Cashman or this Steinbrenner. But Rodon is a potential ace and the Yanks have a bit of a hump and pr hurdle. So I think it happens. Or at least the Yanks give in to the demands.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No Safe Word posted:

If Rangers fans actually had a reason to buy and wear Rangers gear a good chunk of the Jan 6 crew would have been decked out in them.

insert best fans in baseball jan 6 tweet

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Rodon has been very good since he adjusted his mechanics and started pitching differently. Yeah the injury concerns are scary but he "only" costs money, even if it's quite a bit, and Yankee Stadium is friendly to left handed pitchers. It's easier to absorb the risk of signing him when he would be your #2 or #3 guy and maybe that also lets you keep his workload down

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ihatepants posted:

Someone sell me on Rodon.

He is not German, Hurt Severino, or [ random call up who might last a couple innings a couple times ]

ihatepants posted:

I dont know why Yankees fans would want him other than seeing that he is the “best pitcher available” in free agency.

Oh... other than that. My bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1602122042773479428

Jose Siri losing his mind after getting tossed for drawing a line in the batter's box

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

It's a do or die move by Buck, if he's right well that's big for his team but if he's wrong he looks like a tool and now his team is even more defeated knowing Musgrove wasn't cheating they're just getting clowned on that badly.

Showalter being wrong in the postseason????

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Showalter being wrong in the postseason????

He'll be gone by the all-star break when the $400M Mets start 30-50

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rodón is a fly ball pitcher the same way Verlander and Cole are, so I guess it's kind of a rorschach depending on how you feel about them (Cole especially after last season.)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think Rodon is a time bomb because he was always hurt with the Sox, but he's good enough to be worth the risk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We'll find out how good the fly ball pitchers are next season when the league decides which ball(s) it's going to use. JV tied for the lowest HR/9 of his career this year - and less than half of what he has been posting yearly for the latter half of his career, and imo that's all ball.

Also eye test but I went to a few ballgames this year and I swear to god you could watch hard hit fly balls that looked like no doubters just die at the wall

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Delaware is a weird place.

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/1602686974346907648?t=XJGJuEvoh7hXFYDN4flRqQ&s=19

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Dylan Moore holding down Hawaii is maybe just as odd.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1602692813786959873?s=20&t=amJmpnDGbgF527TnKgOE6A

48 oz. bat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Staring into the sun to improve my lamps.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why is Mississippi so interested in the Twins

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't see this mentioned here and its important:

https://twitter.com/outsports/status/1601697702038773760

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Rodon is a time bomb because he was always hurt with the Sox, but he's good enough to be worth the risk.

We know Rodons likely to do well because the Cubs aren't in on him. He's definitely not a reclamation project.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

Someone sell me on Rodon. I dont know why Yankees fans would want him other than seeing that he is the “best pitcher available” in free agency.

He has a lot of red flags for me to want the team to give him a big contract. He is a fly ball pitcher who would be moving from Oracle Park to Yankee Stadium. He is a two pitch pitcher who relies mainly on a fastball that has only had the current velocity for two seasons. His 178 innings this past season is a career high and only has one other season above 150 innings because he has a long list of injuries, which are all arm related (notably shoulder surgery and tommy john).

He's a 30 year old lefty who has been one of the 5 best pitchers in the game for 2 years. Why wouldn't you want to get him for nothing but money? Other than Cole and Cortes the Yankees have no starters worth a poo poo signed for 24+ either.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hurry up and sign Correa already, Cubs

I want to prepare several years worth of can-banging jokes for the GDT

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Thanks for all the feedback re: Rodon. I guess I am mostly just scared because of injury risk and the fact that unlike with someone like Pavano, the team no longer has "unlimited" budget to paper over a mistake like they seemingly had in the past.

In other news, is it too early to start Murakami watch? He just signed a new 3 year contract that says he has to be posted in 2025. He is a lefty hitter who just 23 years old and broke Sadaharu Oh's single season home run record while hitting .318/.458/.711 (241 wRC+) and is supposed to be a good defender at third base.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I’ve been watching Carlos Rodón since literally his high school days (he grew up less than 5 miles from where a lot of my family lives) and he loving owns and I wish he was on the big league team I support

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1602723668697784325

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Very sad, hate to see former friends fall so far

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kinda surprised Stripling wasn't able to parlay a career year into more than 2/25 in this market, but I guess he did just set a career high IP in a season at... 134 so maybe teams were skiddish about going bigger on him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So they’re probably out on Rodon then

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

So they’re probably out on Rodon then

With this and Manaea yeah probably

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Stripling could be a depth/bullpen guy right? I am confused why they wouldn't go big on Rodon.

EDIT: bat at spelling

General Bullshit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 13, 2022

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

If Zaidi signs enough of these guys maybe they will join together into Bargain Bin Voltron and form an ace

... I mean, it's cool we are signing guys. Better than nothing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Zunino to the Guards.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1602693363500728324

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1602693644179443713

Honestly I guess I don't have any complaints if that's the deal? 6 million for a 1-year deal is pretty cheap. If Zunino hits like his 2021 season (or his 2016-2017 Mariners seasons) that's a huge win, but if not, it's mostly a stopgap until I assume either Bo or possibly Bryan are ready.

It's not exciting but it'll serve.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Monathin posted:

Zunino to the Guards.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1602693363500728324

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1602693644179443713

Honestly I guess I don't have any complaints if that's the deal? 6 million for a 1-year deal is pretty cheap. If Zunino hits like his 2021 season (or his 2016-2017 Mariners seasons) that's a huge win, but if not, it's mostly a stopgap until I assume either Bo or possibly Bryan are ready.

It's not exciting but it'll serve.

Of course Cleveland goes bargain shopping for the Zune.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Of course Cleveland goes bargain shopping for the Zune.

Gotta retain that bottom five payroll rankings!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Happy for him, sad that baseball made it harder to be out. I saw him pitch in person a couple times when he was with Cleveland.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Happy for him, sad that baseball made it harder to be out. I saw him pitch in person a couple times when he was with Cleveland.

Do you mean "him playing baseball made it hard to come out" or did MLB do something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Do you mean "him playing baseball made it hard to come out" or did MLB do something?
”baseball” refers to more than simple the MLB corporate entity. It can include the people in and around the sport, the culture around it, fans, and more. Perhaps you can understand how all those things collectively might have made it more difficult to come out?