Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any tangible benefit to building a library and setting up some scholars/scribes, or is it mostly just a flavour thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

Try embarking less close to Satans aviary.

It's not my fault I embarked on the volcano "Satan's rear end in a top hat"

What's the best animal to embark with for fat and tallow? I never have any when I need it to make soap.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any tangible benefit to building a library and setting up some scholars/scribes, or is it mostly just a flavour thing?

If you can get your hands on the necronomicon, you can make copies of it and turn everyone into necromancers

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

she saw a dog
Never not let Kobolds steal! They're adorable little critters who see shiny and want shiny, and when they get shiny they don't know what to do with it so they just leave it on the floor and go get more shiny.
In most worldgens, they're also eradicated very early - so that Kobold could be The Last Kobold. :ohdear:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mystic Mongol posted:

Check your labor. Who's been told they can mine? Do those dwarves have mining picks? Do they have nerve damage? What are they doing instead of mining?

Catching up on the thread at work but came across this, can I tell dwarves to pick up specific gear upgrades? I have three miners so I made three steel picks but my best one (I forget what rank he is but it's at least two above the other two) won't get rid of his copper pick. It doesn't even have a name so I don't think he's attached to it or anything.

I'm not sure if anyone else picked it up beforehand (I don't know why they would though, I have other picks just sitting in my stockpiles from...something?) but I didn't want to just churn out more picks because I'm also trying to make weapons and armor for my budding militia.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Broken Cog posted:

Dwarves can very, very slowly train certain "academic"-type skills through study alone. Doctors, in particular, which otherwise require either luck with migrants or practicing on actually-injured dwarves.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Never not let Kobolds steal! They're adorable little critters who see shiny and want shiny, and when they get shiny they don't know what to do with it so they just leave it on the floor and go get more shiny.
In most worldgens, they're also eradicated very early - so that Kobold could be The Last Kobold. :ohdear:

Is it possible to capture a Kobold and convince it to join your fort?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Popete posted:

Is it possible to capture a Kobold and convince it to join your fort?

You can't do it through capture but if by some miracle a kobold came to visit your tavern, you could.

Theoretically if you managed to get two you could start a breeding program.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Antmen raids give so many shields.
Each and every one comes with one weapon and three shields.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Melt that poo poo down! Armok gave you magma smelters for a reason.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jazerus posted:

dwarves are rude

Dwarves trolling other dwarves owns so hard

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Catching up on the thread at work but came across this, can I tell dwarves to pick up specific gear upgrades? I have three miners so I made three steel picks but my best one (I forget what rank he is but it's at least two above the other two) won't get rid of his copper pick. It doesn't even have a name so I don't think he's attached to it or anything.

I'm not sure if anyone else picked it up beforehand (I don't know why they would though, I have other picks just sitting in my stockpiles from...something?) but I didn't want to just churn out more picks because I'm also trying to make weapons and armor for my budding militia.

The material used for picks doesn't matter, so a copper one is just as good as a steel one. I guess it can matter if you use them as weapons?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The material used for picks doesn't matter, so a copper one is just as good as a steel one. I guess it can matter if you use them as weapons?

They're actually *extremely* effective weapons due to the combination of small striking area and often-legendary mining skill. Steel picks are very much worthwhile for that reason.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's a worthwhile consideration early on before you have a decently trained and geared militia. Miners or woodcutters are generally pretty swole and can gently caress poo poo up so why not equip them with steel instead of copper.

Later on its still useful, just for weird random stuff like a dwarf going crazy and needing put down, or a woodcutter getting accosted by a giant bird.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

nielsm posted:

Create the weirdest weapon trap in the game. An enemy steps on a switch and a bunch of what appear to be metal dinner plates fall on his head, like a cartoon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Melt that poo poo down! Armok gave you magma smelters for a reason.

I don't have magma yet, but I will absolutely melt them down. As far as I remember, shields are equally effective for blocking anything, regardless of material, so may as well use the wooden shields forgotten by elves.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Has it been figured out what to do when traders get stuck on the map? I know there's the disassemble the depot option, but I don't want to piss off people/my home civ.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I stayed up till 3am playing this game, just like old times.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 13, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nielsm posted:

Seriously, where are they getting all this metal equipment from? How many other fortresses have they pillaged to get that many shields!?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goblinite by way of antman

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think randomly-generated animal people civs might actually be capable of steel production sometimes.

e: actually it looks like "civilized" animal people are the same races every time, so maybe not random? i'll take a look at the antmen raws later i guess

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 13, 2022

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

drat you military screen, drat you all to hell. I almost had 1 squad in full archer gear (anything + individual ranged weapon) and 2 squads full in melee gear (anything + individual melee weapon). There was only a dozen gloves missing, which wouldn't be filled even though I had plenty in storage and kept pressing the "Update" button.

I decided to re-assign the same uniform the the two melee squads. Result: Everybody has only a weapon and a shield. Everything else (everything they just had) is lost in some quantum state.

gently caress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kharan posted:

drat you military screen, drat you all to hell. I almost had 1 squad in full archer gear (anything + individual ranged weapon) and 2 squads full in melee gear (anything + individual melee weapon). There was only a dozen gloves missing, which wouldn't be filled even though I had plenty in storage and kept pressing the "Update" button.

I decided to re-assign the same uniform the the two melee squads. Result: Everybody has only a weapon and a shield. Everything else (everything they just had) is lost in some quantum state.

gently caress.

The update button does literally nothing. I've never seen it do anything. You have to re-assign.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

a7m2 posted:

If you can get your hands on the necronomicon, you can make copies of it and turn everyone into necromancers

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dwarves can very, very slowly train certain "academic"-type skills through study alone. Doctors, in particular, which otherwise require either luck with migrants or practicing on actually-injured dwarves.

So mostly flavour, got it, cheers!

I'll probably still keep building them if I have the room for it, having some more variance in what visitors you get is always nice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

apologies thread after reading this twitter i couldn't not read the thread title in christopher from the Soprano's voice

https://twitter.com/MoltisantiThots

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Don't dwarves also get entertainment/satisfaction from reading books/scrolls? I thought it might help boost their happiness.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The update button does literally nothing. I've never seen it do anything. You have to re-assign.

Think I saw the Update button cause some empty equipment slots to go yellow at least.

It looks like all the breastplates the 3 squads were equipped with have disappeared, I've only got 10 normal sized breast plates in the Stocks menu.

In revenge I built a bridge over my volcano and threw some caged goblins in there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I'm currently fighting an issue where my squads simply, absolutely will not equip boots. Despite have tons of them lying around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arrath posted:

Yeah I'm currently fighting an issue where my squads simply, absolutely will not equip boots. Despite have tons of them lying around.

e: socks over boots in equip order would account for refusing to wear socks but not for refusing to wear boots, not sure what causes that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I think it started in some hellish chain of events like:

They went off duty and unequipped their crap cause I hadn't changed them to 'wear always'
Haulers then move everything back from the barracks armor racks to the armor bin
I sent the armor bin to the trade depot to sell off some poo poo
Somewhere in here they probably went on duty again
Oops no boots, even years later

I don't even have clothes as part of the uniform I just figured (probably naively) that they'll put on whatever clothes they want just fine to satisfy their needs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this goblin monster slayer is visiting, and they have no weapon or armor at all

starting to suspect they may not be here to slay monsters

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Either an expert wrassler or much more confident than he should be.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Here to wrestle t-shirt

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arrath posted:

Dwarves who wear shoes can't wear boots if "equip over clothing" is enabled in the uniform.

IronicDongz posted:

May very well be an agent under a false name/profession.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Dwarves who wear shoes can't wear boots if "equip over clothing" is enabled in the uniform.

May very well be an agent under a false name/profession.

Could have loving sworn it was set to replace clothing, I may have forgotten to change that when I made a new uniform to try to coax a newly joined citizen out of his bronze crap. :doh:

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

I suppose a meta part of the DF charm is figuring out how these clusterfucks of mechanics work together (or in the case of equipping military, don't work).

On the other hand, all the sprites are just beautiful and lovingly created and I love the music.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It really is confusing to see goblins in my fort and not wanting to immediately kill them, or trap them and then kill them later

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That's kind of weird but good to know, thanks!

Also thanks to the followup posts about why steel picks are still worthwhile :)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I really love the manager screen with conditions and all that I but I have so many I wish I could organize in to tabs or something! I’ve been setting milking and shearing to seasonal checks with high amounts to be made and it works great.

I built a channel underneath my moat to get some bodies out .. we will not be fighting near the moat again damnnnnn!!!!!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What the heck. A dwarf got a possessed mood, and decides that the first item she needs is a willow log, that has fallen in the river. It's inaccessible.
Maybe I can do something when winter comes soon, and dig a ramp down in the ice...