Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kw0134 posted:

Because if you don't want to offer a solution we can try for and instead want to doompost, or more disingenuously try to pass off your doomposting as a "solution" then I'm going to tear it apart for the time-wasting nonsense it is.

Removing private money from your criminal defense is a hugely important step towards an equitable future because it removes the concept of otherizing someone's rights-- you said criminal rights are your rights and you're correct; but they shouldn't need to be told that.

Strickland already establishes a baseline level of legal representation, and meeting that standard for everyone would necessitate large public expense to remedy the system as currently most PDs aren't able to do their job, usually because of a lack of funding. Failure to meet that level is a constitutional violation, because it is a constitutional right to receive an adequate legal defense. So that part's handled.

When people have to decide the adequacy of their own vs. the adequacy of another, however, it's a bit like watching toddlers split cookies. Tell one toddler to split the cookie and give the other kid the other half, they'll take the most for themself. Tell one toddler to split the cookie and the other kid gets to choose which half he gets, and they'll get laser-focused on making sure it's fair.

That is the equitable solution to the criminal system: everyone gets the same, and everyone gets a say in what that looks like.

SBF is going to get destroyed, hopefully, but he's going to be able to mount a much more substantial legal defense than other people to make sure his rights are protected. And that's absolutely hosed up, since that's what we've decided is necessary to protect your rights: mountains of money?

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

lol

who could have seen this coming

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

These are the LOLs I hunger for

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Top notch content

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kw0134 posted:

For every high profile case where you're "sure" that someone is guilty, there are thousands, if not millions, of people who would be adversely affected by your suggestions. "Leveling" the playing field in your world effectively means digging a giant pit.

My solution is just a shortcut at the start of the process where if you're worth more than a billion, you're definitely guilty of something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean as long as money can be used to supplement your basic rights, it’s going to produce lop sided results. That’s just how it works, it’s how it’s designed to work. No pie in the sky rising everyone up bullshit will change that

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean as long as money can be used to supplement your basic rights, it’s going to produce lop sided results. That’s just how it works, it’s how it’s designed to work. No pie in the sky rising everyone up bullshit will change that

I'm just giving a flawless heuristic for the prosecution of crimes.

Dr. Bithattan
Dec 13, 2022

by Hand Knit

Boxturret posted:

please be kind, this is all a house of cards and we're barely able to keep it standing

Goodnight sweet prince

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 13, 2022

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Binance is teetering on the edge and a top quality "how it started , how is going" meme crowns the page.

Shut up about the legal system.

Edit: Oh wow....i got post sniped by something wonderful

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 13, 2022

Dr. Bithattan
Dec 13, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't know why I do this. It's a compulsion really.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr. Bithattan posted:

lol clown rear end mod edited my post without the probe.
what does this mean

Dr. Bithattan
Dec 13, 2022

by Hand Knit

Splicer posted:

what does this mean
the mods do the worst they can with what I give them, which is really a great deal. Much like I give the world

(this is seraph84)

I love u seraph take your meds NO! You're not my real dad, you can't tell me what to do!!!1 (but i love you too, happy holidays)

Dr. Bithattan fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 13, 2022

Dr. Bithattan
Dec 13, 2022

by Hand Knit
we're currently engaged in a post edit war, which the mods are predictably losing

like everything else they've tried with me over the past 9 years, lulz!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
so are they going to go after people who made tons of money on FTX and give it back to creditors ala Madoff because just loving lol if so

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Too bad we can’t punish a hundredaire like Seraph84 :(

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kw0134 posted:

You're not really considering what all this implies; everyone gets a public defender, no outside counsel is allowed. The state cuts funding to the PD program and you get 2 nanoseconds (down from the 5 nanoseconds you currently get) with a lawyer before you go before the judge at your arraignment. You are advised to plead guilty because sure as gently caress this is as much legal representation you're gonna get for the entire process, and if you insist on a trial they can squeeze you in sometime in 2026. Until then you're in jail. After all, if your money is considered tainted, why would you let anyone out on bail? That's just proceeds from the crime, after all.

Criminal rights are YOUR rights. The state doesn't even need to be actively malicious to gently caress you over ninety ways to Sunday.
If public defenders are a violation of our rights, why are they okay for poor people

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

lol burn bitch

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

jokes posted:

When people have to decide the adequacy of their own vs. the adequacy of another, however, it's a bit like watching toddlers split cookies. Tell one toddler to split the cookie and give the other kid the other half, they'll take the most for themself. Tell one toddler to split the cookie and the other kid gets to choose which half he gets, and they'll get laser-focused on making sure it's fair.

That is the equitable solution to the criminal system: everyone gets the same, and everyone gets a say in what it looks like.

we got john rawls in the joint tonight!!! make some motherfuckin noise!!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VitalSigns posted:

If public defenders are a violation of our rights, why are they okay for poor people
Public defenders are a backstop in the capitalist system. They are competing with for pay attorneys which presumably gives them some reason not to be total stooges of the prosecuting office.

Sole public defender pools are used to great effect in post colonial governments in much the way OP describes for a total disenfranchisement either as stooges, as a reason to slow down justice while utilizing jails instead of prisons etc. Maybe it's a perfectly large pool with fairly skilled individuals. Still lotteries, choice from the pool etc. all are proven to be horseshit at actually providing adequate legal facilities to the low class while the high class floats on through with government connections or not-lawyers in their and their public counsels ears anyway.

There's a few bullet points to fix the US legal system but largely in the outcomes of criminal handling. There's potentially new ideas entirely waiting for us to discuss and implement them. Yet the problems pointed out in this thread are actually with the entire concept of the 3%'s outsize social power in the US and is fixed with other sorts of social equity. I get tired of hearing it as the only Something Awful liberal refrain but sometimes all there is left is to eat the rich.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SBF looks like he would taste just horrible

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jokes posted:

SBF looks like he would taste just horrible

And argue with every Magic the Gathering card you tried to play against him.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But, if his LoL record is anything to go by, he'd be really bad at Magic and make bad arguments

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

kw0134 posted:

The point is that you're going to have a society, and even fully automated luxury gay space communism is a socioeconomic system. The post scarcity utopia of Star Trek is a system. Solarpunk robot farms is a system. Whether or not these goals are attainable is besides the point, you're going to have something in the vacuum.
that's a dumb and obvious take, especially because what I meant was I don't think we should have a society or anything at all, just concede and let the chimps give it a shot

obv i'm kidding, this is a comedy website and you should unbunch your panties

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nessus posted:

Too bad we can’t punish a hundredaire like Seraph84 :(

please be nicer to mr damon

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

happyhippy posted:

And argue with every Magic the Gathering card you tried to play against him.

I had friends who played MTG in college and like half the guys they play with at tourneys looked like a clone of this dude with the personality of an anal rash. I got the hell away from those friends when I realized all of them were lovely incels, even if they covered it up well.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

stiff upper lip homie, austerity and all that...hope brexit made beans cheap cause that's what you're eating tonight.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Why the gently caress would the US government need to FTX's customer money to send to Ukraine? They already give enough out in the open. If an alphabet agency wants to set up a slush fund for black ops, you would do it with something that actually generates a revenue stream, not an upjumped ponzi scheme that could collapse at a moment's notice.

I've noticed that the chud right has really fixated on FTX, partly because they were overtly funding democrats, and partly because they wanted to monopolize regulatory control over cryptocurrency. They even love to attack no-coiners like Ben McKenzie, accusing them of being insufficiently aggressive towards FTX. Which is wild, because no-coiners (aka most of this thread) loving detest everything about crypto, including FTX, including Binance. They can all loving burn.
Free market antigovernment ideology is a religion, you get government out and everything becomes better and everyone gets rich. And like all religions they need an excuse when prophecy fails.

Unregulated exchanges can't be a bad idea that will inevitably attract scammers and thieves and ponzis until a collapse wipes everyone out, so all that must be the fault of saboteurs sent by guess who, Big Government the source of all evil.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ultrafilter posted:

"You said wire fraud twice."

"I like wire fraud."

Hold it! No one move or the doge gets it!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Imagine robbing a bank and running from the cops, but right before you're captured you run into your lawyer's office and hand him the bag of stolen money as payment for legal representation and the lawyer comes on these forums and says "me getting paid for my services in this manner is a natural consequence of a fair system." LMAO

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/sam-bankman-fried-denied-bail-in-bahamas-on-ftx-fraud-charges-judge-cites-flight-risk/ar-AA15eRnA

Judge isn't taking any of sam's song and dance here. Will be interesting to see how Crypto people try to pivot. I've been hearing some say they'll trade stocks.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 13, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/sam-bankman-fried-denied-bail-in-bahamas-on-ftx-fraud-charges-judge-cites-flight-risk/ar-AA15eRnA

Judge isn't taking any of sam's song and dance here. Will be interesting to see how Crypto people try to pivot. I've been hearing some say they'll trade stocks.
Perfect I can buy thier bitcoin cheap lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can sell it for cheap as well

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can sell it for cheap as well

Cheaper, even!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

Bankman-Fried's parents were animated during the proceeding, at times laughing or putting their fingers in their ears

its not a crime if you dont hear it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I can't stop laughing about this.

Congress: don't worry, rich-people-crimes are basically legal as long as you can keep a straight face and say "ah but you can't know for sure that I'm not just really really stupid and bad at my job and all this money disappeared into my penthouse payments by accident"

Sam Bankman-Fried: #Wirefraud I'm concerned we aren't incriminating ourselves enough, thoughts?
Whats-her-name: but I'm already posting on mycrimes.tumbler.com as much as I can
SBF: I'm uploading confessions to YouTube rn is 7 enough?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had friends who played MTG in college and like half the guys they play with at tourneys looked like a clone of this dude with the personality of an anal rash. I got the hell away from those friends when I realized all of them were lovely incels, even if they covered it up well.

I walked into a large game store to pick something up for my nephew a few years ago. They were having a MTG tournament and it was packed with players.

The smell of B.O. was overpowering. Like walking into a wall of stink.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

I can't stop laughing about this.

Congress: don't worry, rich-people-crimes are basically legal as long as you can keep a straight face and say "ah but you can't know for sure that I'm not just really really stupid and bad at my job and all this money disappeared into my penthouse payments by accident"

Sam Bankman-Fried: #Wirefraud I'm concerned we aren't incriminating ourselves enough, thoughts?
Whats-her-name: but I'm already posting on mycrimes.tumbler.com as much as I can
SBF: I'm uploading confessions to YouTube rn is 7 enough?

whats-her-name: i have noticed you have been really clearly trying to blame me in your 7 video confessions and have hired snitches & squealers llp to be the first to mash the betray button today, rather than spend months negotiating a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Todays Mark Levine is well worth a read.

https://newsletterhunt.com/newsletters/money-stuff-by-matt-levine