Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Zodack posted:

It sounds insane but I made a Patriot deck and up until then had never played one and then played three back to back. Bizarre

This happened to me with Deadpool, the first time I used him just about every single game I played that day had an opponent use him, almost never saw him before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Studio posted:

So, I believe there's a hidden MMR component of accounts that's not tied to collection. Like, if you're 2000 MMR you'll get matched up versus 1800 to 2200 MMR (all numbers hypothetical). However, there's also an additional layer of filtering with Pool Based Matchmaking. If you're in Pool 1 you'll mostly match versus Pool 1. If you're at 593 or whatever you'll match against late Pool 2 and early Pool 3 accounts. This is all personal experience talking, but when I was in the late 500s most accounts were similar to mine.

Also, maybe I'm wrong and it's entirely based off rank.

I'm pretty sure my problem is that I played a tooon of Snap before hitting 594. I finished last season at like, rank 115. So, when I finally hit 600 Collection Level, I was Rank 89, with super inflated matchmaking, and going up against YouTubers that had been playing the game for months and were extremely good. There's very little an early Pool 3 deck can do to play around an early Carnage package into Moon Girl, Wave, She-Hulk x2, Death x2, and Aero too, why not. I hit this rank during the "Destroy your deck" location, so I had to run White Queen to copy their death to have a chance lmao. I can retreat too, but with the power level of decks I was dealing with, none of the decks I played had a shot until I got some more cards and now have a Discard Deck That Is Not Great, but Works.

Rank might definitely have something to do with it. I gain, on average, 10 ranks a season once we get the 30 rank drop out of the way. This season I'm shooting for rank 60? 70 if I can swing it.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I've played conservatively 200 games this season. I started on rank 70, and now I'm on rank ... 70.

I think I'm right in the matchmaking spot (~1,100 CL right now) where I'm being matched with beta players with far more complete decks, but I am missing a lot of key cards. So it's a real struggle to get anywhere.

Still fun though!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Xguard86 posted:

Could very well be the game putting a finger on the scale to funnel you towards $$ but for what it's worth:

True randomness fucks with our brains. Researchers have done coin flip studies that participants report as rigged (they weren't) and fair when they were rigged to "feel" fair.

there's also a famous tech example of the iTunes team making shuffle not truly random because people kept complaining it was favoring certain songs.

Just because you wrote this, now I've gone on a run up three levels. Thanks!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Vulpes posted:

I've played conservatively 200 games this season. I started on rank 70, and now I'm on rank ... 70.

I think I'm right in the matchmaking spot (~1,100 CL right now) where I'm being matched with beta players with far more complete decks, but I am missing a lot of key cards. So it's a real struggle to get anywhere.

Still fun though!

This is also my story.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jedit posted:

It's Zabu, who is Kazar's tiger. It's a 3/2 that makes all your 4-cost cards cost 2 less (minimum 1). It's strong enough to play, but it's a weak body on the board and there aren't that many broken combos that revolve around 4s. Dracula discard is the obvious immediate use, although turn 4 Wong/Shuri into turn 5 Panther won't be bad.

Thank you

Yea that seems potentially pretty strong!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The perfect avatar doesn't exis-

I need this

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Toozler posted:

Aero and Mysterio are great pulls. Personally I am holding on for Daredevil (#1) and Death. Wave, Leader, Mystique are some of the most powerful pool 3 cards. Magneto, Doctor Doom, Ghost Rider and Hela for discard to name some more
Yeah, I was going to keep an eye out for Daredevil too, the control pile I was playing before needs it. I see all of the above often enough I get the appeal haha. I got Sera in my first cache tonight, so I might give surfer another go with her. I have Thor in my shop in that vein but he doesn’t necessarily seem worth the tokens right now. I shoved Aero into a bunch of my lists since yesterday and she’s been good so far.

Also, I definitely notice my matchmaking changes if I change decks like someone else mentioned, repeatedly queuing into the same few people on the same lists and if I swap lists it stops for a while.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Vulpes posted:

Still fun though!

Me too. Sitting just below CL 1000 and I was getting matched up with people beating me with cards I don't have over and over and ready to quit. Switched to a move deck though and I've had far more success and fun. I've only seen one deck today made up of mostly cards I don't have. Much fun was had:

Shwqa posted:

I would argue that miles isn't even good.

I had forgotten this and swapped Miles in for Killmonger. The results were terrible. Took Miles out, put Cosmo in. Success.

Miles might work better in a non-move deck, with just Ironfist or something to activate the reduced cost when the lanes don't otherwise oblige.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CitizenKeen posted:

I don't have Mojo, but this deck has been going really well with Valkyrie.

Been running this a little bit today and it has it's moments. I'm still getting the feel for it and have gotten a few bad draws but man, nothing like absolutely frustrating a move deck that's overloaded itself on a lane preparing for a T6 move. Double great that I was able to lock down Kamar Taj with Cosmo early. Left them absolutely flustered but for some reason didn't even bother retreating when I snapped incredibly late. Whatever, I'm happy to take the extra 3 cubes.

Also gently caress are like 90% of the Pixel Variants just awful. Like some of them are actually really cool but it's like they had a handful that were cool and people liked them so they went overboard and created one for like every card and most of them are just muddy messes of dogshit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Some of the pixel variants are so bad it wraps around and you end up using them ironically.

I won't split this pixel Spectrum more than once, but it will get that foil rainbow for maximum effect!

The inkify effect on pixel variants should use the Game Boy colors: 4 shades of green. That would make them desirable long-term goal (but it would take effort to not look like a mess so it'll never happen).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 13, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Silver Surfer is powerful but — at least at the ranks I’m playing — extremely predictable. As soon as you see a lot of tell-tale 3s especially Brood, you know what’s up. And then they fill the board in such a way that it’s pretty clear where Surfer will go. So then you decide if you have the answer in hand (Cosmo, Leech) and retreat or snap. Surfer suffers from being behind until the end, so Cosmo on 6 reliably wrecks him.

There might be better strategies for when to play surfer to avoid this. But I haven’t played against them yet.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I think Miles is fine, 1 energy for 5 power is a very good ratio. If you’re running a move deck that will trigger his condition as part of your standard play, he’s a good but not essential include. He differs from cards like Silver Surfer and Black Panther in that they can be lynchpin cards that you build your deck around and in fact with Surfer you have to do so for him to be useful. Miles is just a useful niche card that doesn’t make or break a move deck.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 13, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The way Wave interacts with Death and She-Hulk is busted, I've seen decks take advantage of mechanics like this in other ccg's but it usually takes more of a setup combo than "play a single card"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Continuing to tweak my Aero Control deck.

quote:

# (2) Daredevil
# (2) Medusa
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Juggernaut
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Maximus
# (4) Enchantress
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Captain Marvel
# (5) Aero
# (6) She-Hulk
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hlSHVsayJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUHJvZmVzc29yWCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2lsbG1vbmdlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWF4aW11cyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSnVnZ2VybmF1dCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FwdGFpbk1hcnZlbCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRGFyZWRldmlsIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJDb3NtbyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWVybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGl6YXJkIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJFbmNoYW50cmVzcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTWVkdXNhIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

I realized that having only two 2 cost cards was really hurting me, since She Hulk on 4 is such a powerful move (given that most of my 3s are Utility cards so it's common to want to hold them to the end). But skipping turns 1-3 is a real problem. Especially since the utility cards work best when they reveal first most of the time. So I went looking for another two drop and weirdly, the best in my collection seemed to be Medusa. Putting 4 stats on the middle lane when no one really know's whatnot going on, following it up with a powerful 3 or holding for She Hulk feels much better, even though it's kind of a lame card. I also swapped Rogue for Enchantress for all the reasons I complained about in my last post. Juggernaut continues to be an incredibly powerful card in this deck. People know about Aero. I don't think they expect Juggernaut.

I just opened Mysterio, so I might try him for awhile. But I'm so often filling lanes (or holding a spot to threaten Captain Marvel) that I think I'd probably want to swap in the entire destroy package to make that make sense. I'm also thinking about adding in a 1 drop or two, since I'm often playing a 5 on turn 6 and it would open up more options for She Hulk (you can go 1 drop on 3 and still play She Hulk on 4 or skips 3 and play She Hulk + 1 on 4).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

Continuing to tweak my Aero Control deck.

I realized that having only two 2 cost cards was really hurting me, since She Hulk on 4 is such a powerful move (given that most of my 3s are Utility cards so it's common to want to hold them to the end). But skipping turns 1-3 is a real problem. Especially since the utility cards work best when they reveal first most of the time. So I went looking for another two drop and weirdly, the best in my collection seemed to be Medusa. Putting 4 stats on the middle lane when no one really know's whatnot going on, following it up with a powerful 3 or holding for She Hulk feels much better, even though it's kind of a lame card. I also swapped Rogue for Enchantress for all the reasons I complained about in my last post. Juggernaut continues to be an incredibly powerful card in this deck. People know about Aero. I don't think they expect Juggernaut.

I just opened Mysterio, so I might try him for awhile. But I'm so often filling lanes (or holding a spot to threaten Captain Marvel) that I think I'd probably want to swap in the entire destroy package to make that make sense. I'm also thinking about adding in a 1 drop or two, since I'm often playing a 5 on turn 6 and it would open up more options for She Hulk (you can go 1 drop on 3 and still play She Hulk on 4 or skips 3 and play She Hulk + 1 on 4).

Glad you're plugging away at this - I've kind of shelved mine until I get Juggernaut. Wondering if you've tried Sunspot here at all? He synergizes well with decks that are floating energy or passing, and can grow behind Prof X.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Two games two triskelion locations two Agatha’s :saddowns:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Apparently leech is the new popular card. Which makes sense - so many decks at the moment try to preserve last say and have a big turn 6 power turn. I never put together that leech dumps on that turbo hard and unlike sandman actually is a decently playable card. Main downside I guess is he can't win you 8 cubes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Only pixel variant you need

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
If you're using the "Always Snaps" title and you do not, in fact, snap back when I snap on T1? The cosmos look down upon you in harsh judgment.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My Second Re-Reg posted:

If you're using the "Always Snaps" title and you do not, in fact, snap back when I snap on T1? The cosmos look down upon you in harsh judgment.

this is called mind games, the true mark of a powerful brain who has exhausted pursuit of all but the most dangerous game

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pool 4 pity timer went off…and I pulled attuna :pwn:

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Mind games work. A well deployed Deadpool emote has won me 8 cubes several times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

Pool 4 pity timer went off…and I pulled attuna :pwn:
He works with invisible woman I learned. Which is kind of nice.

Also does Orka actually exist? I've never seen it and I've never seen anyone say they pulled it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Also does Orka actually exist? I've never seen it and I've never seen anyone say they pulled it.

I remember a dev posting on the discord that it had some kind of bug and hadn't been released yet.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

He also works with armor and I think professor X.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mushrooman posted:

Mind games work. A well deployed Deadpool emote has won me 8 cubes several times.

I won 8 on a game last night by going "I am losing!" on turn 5. Sucker born every minute

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BoldFace posted:

I remember a dev posting on the discord that it had some kind of bug and hadn't been released yet.

How can it have a bug? It's literally Namor with bigger numbers.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I won 8 on a game last night by going "I am losing!" on turn 5. Sucker born every minute

I just retreat after I see the "I am losing!" emote, every single time I see that my opponent has their ideal hand and a great deck. Take your cube.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always refuse to snap when someone asks me to

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Finally got clocked playing my Valkyrie deck. A point of confirmation toward my suspicion that it's not very good, it's just unknown.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

priznat posted:

Unless it's an Ego match, yeah, this is the right thing to do.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

priznat posted:

There are a lot of rules that are not clearly conveyed by the game.

I have learned that after someone keeps forcefully telling me to snap even if I choose what cards to play I in fact do not have to click "end turn" until the button starts flashing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Downright dire day today, down basically two full ranks. Ego came up, I snapped (of course), and he proceeded to do whatever (deck doesn't need much, Ka-Zar, Patriot, BM), but absolutely play the ONE possible bad combo on turn 6 (I had Wasp, Cyclops, a Leech'd Doom, and Ultron. He played Wasp and Cyclops). Other games, it's a bunch of stuff, I got Red Skull dropped on Throne one game, lost another cause while I did move Cosmo to be on the same lane as Wong last turn (New York, they moved Wong too), their drop still hit its On Reveal.

Also this happened:

Any card EXCEPT Infinaut there would've won me the game, even with Magneto shooing away my Cyclops.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

No Wave posted:

... and unlike sandman actually is a decently playable card.

I think Sandman is pretty good in an Armin Zola deck, especially in a multi-card turn 6 like we seem to be in. Sandman t4, Dino/Panther t5, Zola t6.

Also the Zola/Panther/Dino deck I used most of last season is still letting me climb without too much issue. The only changes I made to the one discussed here was taking out Hulk and Spider-Woman to add Killmonger (get rid of those drat squirrels and raptors) and Sandman.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 13, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just watched the Guardians movies for the first time which was pretty funny after playing a lot of Marvel Snap. "The Collector! And Cosmo!" "This guy's named Ego? Yeah he's a planet."

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

A successful Galactus play is so, so funny.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Inferior posted:

A successful Galactus play is so, so funny.
is it really? i think its funnier when the 6000 token card gets poo poo on.

EDIT: MY DEBRII GOT UNPINNED and theres a knull in my shop!!!!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 13, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well there goes my 3K points on She-Hulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man I got the pixel variant of forge today. My God he is ugly.