Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

don't dox me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmfao

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

is White Lotus actually good or is it just one of those prestige shows people pretend is good because they need a show to watch

I really like it. It's mostly a comedy, which separates it from a lot of the other prestige shows. Season 2 has a totally different cast except for 2 returning people, and is in Italy instead of Hawaii. Both of them are good though.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

loved Old Town Road

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Finally watching the rich people throwing up on a yacht movie

it's too loving long. i enjoyed the first half

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there’s a volcel in white lotus 2. he is also recognized as a pioneering incel in the show. on top of all this, he sucks, so it’s very relevant for people here.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

shoulda made a black phillip movie smh

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a rule, stylished and 'cartoony' graphics that sometimes got poo poo on at the time (see Wind Waker) hold up waaay better than the 'realistic' graphical arms race, especially from the first generations of 3D on consoles. Of course, so much about that particular stage of video games is basically 'We were impressed by THIS?'

But he looks like a powerpuff girl!!!!!!!!!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

it was fun and it’s like 6 episodes so it doesn’t overstay its welcome. if you’ve never been in an environment line that (whether staff or guest) it’s possible you might not get as much out of it. also the last episodes of both seasons are bad, and the running theme is gay people and sex workers are scheming murderous thieving sexual abusers and drug addicts. there’s a bit of class stuff more visibly than in other shows. it’s all right.

I get bad vibes from series creator White Mike, he seems a little eelish and he said “a derpy death.”

what. did you get confused and watch some other show for the last episode? because that is not at all the message of white lotus season 1 lol

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

somebody in real life asked me if i've seen white lotus so i guess i gotta watch it now and then andor or maybe the other way around. i think it was the same person who asked me about both lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

babypolis posted:

what. did you get confused and watch some other show for the last episode? because that is not at all the message of white lotus season 1 lol

it’s true. All the gay people on the show are shown to harass their employees, get wasted, and conspire to kill people. The prostitutes are depicted as potential murderers who almost killed people to get ahead (Mia, jack, nicollo) and scammers. When you watch this show, this is what you’re upholding.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Dec 13, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
White Lotus is some of the most effective horror television I've ever seen

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

White Lotus is some of the most effective horror television I've ever seen

have you seen Tales From the Crypt?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

have you seen Tales From the Crypt?

I was just thinking about how I want to rewatch the Christmas episode

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's such loving bullshit that it's not on HBO. that show made HBO!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

tales from the crypt was absolutely one of my favorite shows as a kid. it was oddly comforting and i'd even have it on in the background while i probably played with action figures or something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i loving love that a season 2 episode of Tales from the Crypt was Arnold Schwarzenegger's directorial debut

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

White Lotus makes more sense if you think of money as this creeping extradimensional eldritch horror whose mere presence corrupts everyone and everything. Like there's a radioactive waste dump under the resort and everyone is sort of falling apart with an unexplained sickness

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

idk it's not some inscrutable show, it's pretty easy to "get" imo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Any other big American Dad fans out there? What's the best American Dad christmas episode??

They're all good. I liked the time loop one from about two years ago, and the first one is very good as well. American Dad inexplicably grabbed the crown of most consistently funny, long running animated show, while no one was looking.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watching white lotus and triangle of sadness within a day of each other was the wrong move. memories are mixin'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for years people have been telling me American Dad is good and every time they show me an episode to try and convince me it’s the worst poo poo ever

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for years people have been telling me American Dad is good and every time they show me an episode to try and convince me it’s the worst poo poo ever

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Finally watching the rich people throwing up on a yacht movie

it's so good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I gave it 3.5/5 overly long and a bit shallow. 10/10 on vomit and poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

yeah this

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's such loving bullshit that it's not on HBO. that show made HBO!
If they are taking Westworld off HBO Max for the write off, there's zero chance they're putting the Tales from the Crypt on.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think it builds on itself despite having no real continuity, and a lot of the jokes come from accepting the casual absurdity of the world. It's a good show.

MacheteZombie posted:

I love that it's insanely long. It keeps getting more and more weird, and switching up character leads and cast structure. It's fun and maybe my favorite movie of the year.

i say swears online posted:

watching white lotus and triangle of sadness within a day of each other was the wrong move. memories are mixin'
:same:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

also, people talk a lot about the vomit scene, but the russian capitalist/american communist scenes, are a perfect examination of the futility of online discussions. and then the scene of them both drunk and hanging out was a good example of friendship based just off the common ground of enjoying poop jokes and funny stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nichael posted:

also, people talk a lot about the vomit scene, but the russian capitalist/american communist scenes, are a perfect examination of the futility of online discussions. and then the scene of them both drunk and hanging out was a good example of friendship based just off the common ground of enjoying poop jokes and funny stuff.

I got a good laugh at them looking up quotes to bounce off each other.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nichael posted:

If they are taking Westworld off HBO Max for the write off, there's zero chance they're putting the Tales from the Crypt on.

who gives a poo poo about Westworld? apart from Chris Nolan's failbrother

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
American dad really depends on what you think of the alien. I'll guess the vast majority hates him. The rest is pretty standard. White lotus is trash and will be forgotten.

I liked Alf also so.. Out of this world also. Maybe I got a fetish

Femur has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Dec 13, 2022

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

who gives a poo poo about Westworld? apart from Chris Nolan's failbrother

it's not about the quality, it's just pretty unprecedented that a streamer will damanto memorie a project they sunk massive cash into, to the extent that they remove it entirely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if i owned HBO i'd delete Westworld too

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

how do you get a tax break by taking a show you’ve already shot and aired out of circulation? besides lol america I mean

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

how do you get a tax break by taking a show you’ve already shot and aired out of circulation? besides lol america I mean

I dont think they're getting a tax write off, they're just pulling it to avoid paying residuals I believe. I didn't read the articles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My favorite Westworld memory is being super high and pulling up the first episode of the third season, watching like 15 minutes, thinking drat this is pretty good, and slowly realizing I was just rewatching the first episode of the first season

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

capitalism lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

My favorite Westworld memory is being super high and pulling up the first episode of the third season, watching like 15 minutes, thinking drat this is pretty good, and slowly realizing I was just rewatching the first episode of the first season

them re-airing the first episode in a new season would fit considering the quality of writing it sunk to in the pursuit of "spooooky riddles"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Watching the first fifteen minutes of season one and thinking it's season three better gets across the message that season three was trying to convey.