Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Article on the old SNL sketch where a large number of mostly undistinguished and random baseball players terrorize Chris Kattan, truly a smorgasbord of Guys. Of course since it's the ringeri t has to be a tedious oral history, but because it's Lindbergh he also has everyone's WAR. Fun read.https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/12/13/23506851/saturday-night-live-baseball-dreams-come-true-sketch-oral-history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bawfuls posted:

”baseball” refers to more than simple the MLB corporate entity. It can include the people in and around the sport, the culture around it, fans, and more. Perhaps you can understand how all those things collectively might have made it more difficult to come out?

Oh absolutely, just the way it was worded sounded like there was a specific policy that made it even harder.

More amusing graphics from bbref twitter

lol "Who the gently caress is Eric Hosmer"

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 13, 2022

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
New Mexico is Braves country?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pitching question:

Is "changeup" a catchall term for whatever weirdo pitch a particular pitcher has developed? Growing up I just equated it with "slow ball" but I know some of them have serious and strange movement. Do they have movement tendencies or does that change from pitcher to pitcher

Inspiration:
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1602651217527644162

I know the camera angle fucks with how a pitch looks, but it looks like Pedro has some significant arm side run. On those "guess the pitch" games changeups are the ones that get me the most.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 13, 2022

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

What's a Chris Bassitt and what does it do?

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/.amp/news/new-york-chris-bassitt-regrets-telling-mets-about-positive-covid-test

quote:

Chris Bassitt Regrets Telling New York Mets About Positive Covid Test

“It’s ridiculous we’re still doing it,” Bassitt said of MLB's COVID protocols. “Stop testing it. Stop acting like COVID is far worse than a lot of other things. I’m not trying to get too much into it, but I was never sick, never had a symptom. So, sitting out for two weeks or a week for zero symptoms, I don’t know.”

“I tested myself just because the only symptom, so-called, that I had was the second game vs. Houston I was just way more sluggish, tired than I usually have [been], and having a little girl at home and stuff like that, If I can somewhat be safe, I will,” Bassitt said. “I tested myself and it was positive, so I basically had the choice to tell them so I could kind of protect my teammates or not say anything and put my teammates at risk a little bit.

“But, I mean, I never had a symptom. I woke up fine, the next day fine, haven’t had a symptom since, so I don’t know if I made the right decision of saying something or not. I don’t know.”

I tested myself because I had the symptom of being really tired and sluggish and now you're gonna tell me I have covid and need to isolate myself despite having zero symptoms???

In summary, Chris bassitt is a man of contrasts with very intelligent opinions

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Pitching question:

Is "changeup" a catchall term for whatever weirdo pitch a particular pitcher has developed? Growing up I just equated it with "slow ball" but I know some of them have serious and strange movement. Do they have movement tendencies or does that change from pitcher to pitcher

There are different kinds of change ups; circle change, vulcan, palmball but they are generally just called a change up. It's really just a slower fastball that has some drop and perhaps lateral movement but not as slow or as much movement to be called something like a curveball/slider/splitter.

But yes at times there is a grey area on what to call a pitch and you'll hear announcers just call it an off speed pitch if they aren't sure what the guy was trying to throw.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

Pitching question:

Inspiration:
https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1602651217527644162

I know the camera angle fucks with how a pitch looks, but it looks like Pedro has some significant arm side run. On those "guess the pitch" games changeups are the ones that get me the most.

It's mainly about the grip and how you throw it. A Changeup will ideally have the exact same arm movement as a Fastball, but the grip means it slows down and has movement due to the spin imparted on it being different.

Sliders and Curveballs (and other breaking pitches) will oftentimes include a bit of extra movement from the arm or wrist to give the ball that "snap" (which is also why these pitches are usually blamed for injuries and why people tell kids not to throw them (I don't know if any of this is mechanically true but many things repeated by parents are not))

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

gently caress off bassitt

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Iodised QQ posted:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mets/.amp/news/new-york-chris-bassitt-regrets-telling-mets-about-positive-covid-test

I tested myself because I had the symptom of being really tired and sluggish and now you're gonna tell me I have covid and need to isolate myself despite having zero symptoms???

lol this man seems very dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's mainly about the grip and how you throw it. A Changeup will ideally have the exact same arm movement as a Fastball, but the grip means it slows down and has movement due to the spin imparted on it being different.

Sliders and Curveballs (and other breaking pitches) will oftentimes include a bit of extra movement from the arm or wrist to give the ball that "snap" (which is also why these pitches are usually blamed for injuries and why people tell kids not to throw them (I don't know if any of this is mechanically true but many things repeated by parents are not))

I think the latest scholarship on it is that it's velocity that tears ucls, not sliders.

Also I thought the Church of Tunnelling preaches that all pitches should look the same coming out of the hand and coming from the same release

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1602746366144311296

lol

but also, who are the Yankees bidding against at this point? Heyman mentioned the Cards, but signing a top shelf SP isn't really their style. Padres? Mets say gently caress it and sign all the players? Maybe the Orioles out of nowhere. That would be cool.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'll be shocked if the Cardinals make any more big ticket moves. It's not ownership and management's style (to spend a lot of money)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike_V posted:

I'll be shocked if the Cardinals make any more big ticket moves. It's not ownership and management's style (to spend a lot of money)

Arenado not opting out is already the deal of the winter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Gotta imagine Arenado is kicking himself right now about that lol. Even if he was willing to take a haircut so the team had more payroll to add around him, the market is so turbocharged right now he legit might have been able to double his money if he'd opted out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Pussy Boss posted:

but also, who are the Yankees bidding against at this point? Heyman mentioned the Cards, but signing a top shelf SP isn't really their style. Padres? Mets say gently caress it and sign all the players? Maybe the Orioles out of nowhere. That would be cool.

I would lose my mind (in a good way) if Elias actually ponied up for Rodon but lmao they couldn't be bothered to beat any of the Tier 2 offers that were out there. Like, you gave Gibson 1/10 but Quitana at 2/26 was a bridge too far?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Pussy Boss posted:

lol

Surprise mariners?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We have Carlos Rodon at home

At home

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Pitching question:

Pedro, on change-ups
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZk9xJ0-aM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

At home

Thanks for reminding me that the Cubs non-tendered Rondon because they didn't want to pay him like $4M and justified it with "don't worry we still have Justin Grimm!"

Grimm sucked so bad in spring training he was cut, lol.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also TIL Justin Grimm threw innings in 2022 for the Oakland A's, this is the most dire thing about the A's I've heard yet and that includes the Murphy trade.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This seems like a good deal. Stripling is good.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He’s a perfidious traitor is what he is

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

trader

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

wow siding with management

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just like Joc

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

I think the latest scholarship on it is that it's velocity that tears ucls, not sliders.

Also I thought the Church of Tunnelling preaches that all pitches should look the same coming out of the hand and coming from the same release

Velo is the highest correlation to UCL damage, but improperly thrown sliders involve pronation of the elbow which is incredibly bad for it. That's probably more of an issue in youth ball, but still.

Also it turns out that tunnels are less important than throwing your best pitches even if they don't actually overlay each other perfectly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

At home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6EmMnKRZI&t=61s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Pussy Boss posted:

lol

Taking that report with a giant grain of salt since she was one of the people along with Heyman that thought Judge was going to the Giants

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bawfuls posted:

Ross Stripling is an enemy to all baseball fans.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Stripling is a great pick up because whenever I see him I think back to the time he was throwing a no-hitter but Dave Roberts took him out when he walked a guy, and then the very next batter hit a game-tying home run. Then the Giants walked it off.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
DO IT COHEN. MOVE LINDOR TO 3RD

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1602767007610347520

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Taking that report with a giant grain of salt since she was one of the people along with Heyman that thought Judge was going to the Giants

Just as I assume the Giants really did think Judge was going to them a week ago I assume they are still talking to Rodon. Just because you are negotiating with someone or feel confidence doesn’t mean you’re in good position. The pattern seems to be that her sources are from within the Giants and they’re pushing out optimism. But signing two SPs in the last 24 hours sure suggests they’re not looking to break the bank on Rodon.

Conversely the vibe I get from the Yanks is that they aren’t gonna be tempted by Correa and they’re not enamored with the idea of giving Benintendi 5 years. So I think they’re all in on Rodon and barring a trade that might be the last big move they make this winter. Again, barring someone calling with a real nice offer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wrong Judge. It was Arson Judge

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Stripling is a great pick up because whenever I see him I think back to the time he was throwing a no-hitter but Dave Roberts took him out when he walked a guy, and then the very next batter hit a game-tying home run. Then the Giants walked it off.
by far the least offensive no-no Dave has cut short, it was his MLB debut after all and he was never gonna make it 9 innings without a criminal pitch count

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Looking forward to Rodon signing somewhere and it coming out an hour later he declined an additional 50m from the Padres

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yankees being the small market team in New York will never stop being hilarious to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

Wrong Judge. It was Arson Judge
Fair point

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Iodised QQ posted:

Yeah, but this was before he joined the Jays. Now he is smarter.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanKutyNJ/status/1602743514672291840

Watch him go to the Cardinals lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It would be pretty funny if the twins outbid the Yankees for a free agent.