Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Ooooh, I can't believe I forgot about all his horseshit fretting about declining birthrates. Interesting, I never read any of that as anti-LGBT - but every time I saw one of his tweets bringing it up, I always safely assumed that he's specifically worried about the lighter-skinned parts of humanity not having enough kids.

It’s all of it together. He believes in a sci-fi techno-fascist future with his descendants and other similar minded families descendants as the rulers of the solar system through their corporations. To realize that future, he has to have as many children as possible. Following the batshit crazy train of thought, anyone who doesn’t produce children that can either rule or work is a complete waste. He’s a third generation believer in this bullshit.

It looks slightly different than other cults but it is a cult all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat imagine being cucked by Yogi Bear 3D.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Randarkman posted:

That's being overly flattering to our capabilities. Mars's atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide, but it's the major component of an atmosphere that is hardly there. Raising the level of CO2 in Earth's atmospehre by a noticeable amount where it contributes to the greenhouse effect (which needs a substantial atmosphere to begin with to function) and producing enough CO2 on Mars in order for it to have a substantial atmosphere and enough CO2 for a potent greenhouse effect, are orders of magnitude apart.

It would be easier to terraform Venus by freezing that planet's atmosphere via an orbiting solar shade and shooting the frozen rocks of CO2 at Mars. It would also take centuries to do. Basically, anybody being like "We're gonna colonize the solar system and it'll be easy" is really, really, really loving stupid.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mars doesn't have a magnetosphere, it's not happening lol. it's a dead rock and will likely stay that way.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

mars doesn't have a magnetosphere

Just wear sunscreen.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There's no problem with terraforming other planets, but do it on a timeframe if hundreds if not thousands of years as a side hobby to the real work of not loving up our current planet.

Anyone who thinks earth is doomed but mars is a great idea is dumb as Musk. No matter how hosed the planet is it's much easier to fix earth than it is to create a new biosphere.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Grow your food in your own feces it's the only way

Good luck washing it afterwards without potable watee

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IDK that there's any point in debating the logistics of it when he's been pretty transparent about having no actual interest in colonizing Mars. The Mars thing is just big enough to sound important and silly enough that unlike any real problem there's really no measurable way to say whether any random whim or action is secretly advancing the cause of a thousand-year reich on Olympus Mons. A hundred years ago he would be talking about how he conferred with an angel and was given a commandment to do whatever the gently caress he feels like in order to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to earth, and the same cretins woulda lapped it up, take it as a sign of progress that after he dies we're probably not gonna have to deal with a bunch of golden statues of Elon Musk all over the DC beltway and epic bacon Tesla fans infiltrating the FBI.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2022

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

mars doesn't have a magnetosphere, it's not happening lol. it's a dead rock and will likely stay that way.

Just send down a team to explode some nukes in the core to get that bad boy spinning again. I'm pretty sure I saw something similar in a 2003 documentary.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
https://youtu.be/HpcTJW4ur54

We could terraform Mars and fix the variety of problems that makes it inhabitable, but the amount of effort that's needed dwarfs the effort to fix earth, or hell, make a moon base.

He just wants the clout. That's it. First person to send people to Mars. He doesn't care to anything beyond that because that's why he's got people.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Say what you will about Elon but I don't think there were any Rockefellers who had the balls to get up in front of a stadium full of people and say "I'm rehh buhhh"

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

nullEntityRNG posted:

We could terraform Mars and fix the variety of problems that makes it inhabitable, but the amount of effort that's needed dwarfs the effort to fix earth, or hell, make a moon base.

He just wants the clout. That's it. First person to send people to Mars. He doesn't care to anything beyond that because that's why he's got people.

I'd be making under sea bases before I'd be making Mars bases

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

If I ever meet this guy I'm gonna force my pronouns on him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Earwicker posted:

im usually pretty hesitant to accuse anyone of "progressive virtue signaling" but i would say that start trek discovery is definitely a tv show that indulges in it, but i also remember there was an episode in season 2 or 3 in which musk is casually namedropped in the same context as like the wright brothers and whoever invented the warp drive, and i wonder if they are going to stealthily go in and edit that out

Once when I was a kid I wrote some Wing Commander fanfic which was set in like 2650 or something and I had people making Beavis & Butt-head references to each other. Because I knew it was the thing least likely to age well that I could possibly think of so the idea was funny on some level to me

Even at that dimwitted age I understood that you'd better not do that poo poo unironically

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nullEntityRNG posted:

No we couldn't. That amount of effort doesn't just dwarf the current effort of dealing with global warming, it's practically (not theoretically or scientifically, but practically) impossible given current means and technology.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm a fan of The Expanse's take on Mars, where there's a colony but they have to live underground in domes and can't go outside. "The terraforming project" is played up in-universe as something that's definitely gonna happen real soon you guys, just you wait, it'll fix everything about living here, and then it never happens over the entire span of the series.

Reminds me of Musk's promises. Can't exactly put a finger on why.

I mean, even that take woefully, outrageously underpalys the difficulty of establishing and maintaining such a presence. Mars in the Expanse being a place with a billion people or whatever is completely ludicrous given the situation it presents.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 13, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm a fan of The Expanse's take on Mars, where there's a colony but they have to live underground in domes and can't go outside. "The terraforming project" is played up in-universe as something that's definitely gonna happen real soon you guys, just you wait, it'll fix everything about living here, and then it never happens over the entire span of the series.

Reminds me of Musk's promises. Can't exactly put a finger on why.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Larry Cum Free posted:

Say what you will about Elon but I don't think there were any Rockefellers who had the balls to get up in front of a stadium full of people and say "I'm rehh buhhh"

The Rockefellers actually donated a bunch of stuff to charities

I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of Elon donating to charity, or even having a token foundation

Motherfucker really is just a negative void for resources on this planet

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Larry Cum Free posted:

When William Randolph Hearst saw Orson Welles mock him via Citizen Kane, instead of using his press empire and political connections to try and squelch the film, he should have just turned to his nearest friend and said "What shall I do?" in a desperate tone of voice, like a kid who forgot his lines in the school play

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

fishing with the fam posted:

Just send down a team to explode some nukes in the core to get that bad boy spinning again. I'm pretty sure I saw something similar in a 2003 documentary.

Lol I had an astronomy teacher show that in astro lab on bad movie day, that was a sick class

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Once when I was a kid I wrote some Wing Commander fanfic which was set in like 2650 or something and I had people making Beavis & Butt-head references to each other. Because I knew it was the thing least likely to age well that I could possibly think of so the idea was funny on some level to me

Even at that dimwitted age I understood that you'd better not do that poo poo unironically

joke's on you now Beavis owns a rocketship and a social media company

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Colonising Mars is dumb but this is a dumb objection. It took millions of years for Mars to lose it's atmosphere due to the lack of magnetosphere. If you could put the atmosphere there in the first place you could easily top it up.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 13, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just build O'Neill cylinders

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Colonising Mars is dumb but this is a dumb objection. It took millions of years for Mars to lose it's atmosphere due to the lack of magnetosphere. If you could put the atmosphere there in the first place you could easily top it up.

who is the "you" that put the atmosphere there in the first place?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Sydney Bottocks posted:

When William Randolph Hearst saw Orson Welles mock him via Citizen Kane, instead of using his press empire and political connections to try and squelch the film, he should have just turned to his nearest friend and said "What shall I do?" in a desperate tone of voice, like a kid who forgot his lines in the school play

He did a live show with Abbot and Costello where they tried to set him up to do their classic bits but he was just like "How's on firrrz?"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Earwicker posted:

Elon Musk and Kanye and Chappelle in a spaceship

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Decon posted:

How much Adderall do you think I need before I suffer delusions that I'm basically Paul Atreides and neonazis are Fremen?

The adderall is for the amount of energy needed to be a convincing Emperor of Mankind. It's the mixture of psychedelics, absinthe and sleep deprivation that's going to give you your visions.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Why the gently caress is the Nazi endpoint always obsessed with space?

Why do you have to poo poo up space as well with your stupid loving trash ideology man?

Also is Dave Chappelle also now on the "Elon and Kanye" regime?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"now"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Why do you have to poo poo up space as well with your stupid loving trash ideology man?
Got to have a narrative and some place to stick your dirty, unwanted dick and the Earth is-- for all intents and purposes-- fully colonized. That's why it's always either "the glorious future was taken from us by those dirty dirty non-whites" or "us glorious whites have to conquer the next, final frontier."

quote:

Also is Dave Chappelle also now on the "Elon and Kanye" regime now?
He's at the point where he's gonna have to decide to commit full-throated or not, and since Kanye's been throwing shade it'll be interesting to see which skirt he ultimately scurries under for protection.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Zzulu posted:

human conciousness is gone

*hominid grunting noises*

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

They just need to stack up a load of Teslas on Mars and run them with the wheels off, generating a magnetic field.

It's a trivial engineering problem for a man like Ol' Musky!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Decon posted:

How much Adderall do you think I need before I suffer delusions that I'm basically Paul Atreides and neonazis are Fremen?

it's as much to do with duration as anything else, huge single doses of amphetamine can cause psychotic states but the stereotypical "tweakers taking apart refridgerators meticulously with screwdrivers to find the hidden gold inside" poo poo has as much to do with repeat dosing of a drug that makes sleep impossible, as anything else, and somewhere I read a study that concluded that that principle diagnostic criteria for methamphetamine psychosis were majority overlap with the symptoms of psychosis and delusion brought on by protracted sleep deprivation (days, well past the point you get to without the involvement of drugs or some kind of neuro/psych problem).

Many of us including me may have had the experience of going 48-72 hrs and feeling like we got literally zero sleep, but studies have mostly shown that in that state what happens is we drop out for little bits here and there, just enough for our bodies to keep ticking in a quasi normal way, but awake so frequently and so much that we have the idea we haven't slept. I've been in that state for up to a week before with no hallucinations, and my impression from reading is that actual protracted total sleep deprivation often causes significant problems with reality testing in as little as 2-3 days.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Also is Dave Chappelle also now on the "Elon and Kanye" regime?

were the OG nazis obsessed with space, I'm pretty sure when they spent all their time blathering about how the wreckage of their Volkshalle was gonna blow some neoprimitive shepherd's mind in 1000 years they weren't talking about it happening on Titan

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

nullEntityRNG posted:

"Nitrogen Factories on Titan" being a required step really puts the feasibility of this into perspective.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Human consciousness entirely depended on the ability for people to say the N or K or T or F word.

Human civilization's light is lost without our slurs :shepface:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1602760775856058368

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TulliusCicero posted:

Colonialism. They were born too late for the earth to have places, untouched by rich white assholes, for them to "discover" and "civilize," so space is their last bet.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

He's at the point where he's gonna have to decide to commit full-throated or not, and since Kanye's been throwing shade it'll be interesting to see which skirt he ultimately scurries under for protection.

I think he's basically in the Musk camp. He probably figured (like Musk) that bringing him out on stage was a win-win for them both. He'd get the cultural cachet of palling around with the (now former) richest man in the world, and Musk would get to be seen as cool by palling around with an incredibly successful comedian. Neither one of them probably ever thought, even for a second, that Musk would get the response he did on that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

were the OG nazis obsessed with space, I'm pretty sure when they spent all their time blathering about how the wreckage of their Volkshalle was gonna blow some neoprimitive shepherd's mind in 1000 years they weren't talking about it happening on Titan
More of a modern thing, I'm pretty sure the OG Nazis had no idea that literally 10 years after their loss we'd be sending up satellites and manned missions no lie it's kind-of insane how fast that tech moved.

But they were also massive loving dorks who would LARP all sorts-of dork rear end things like German conceptions of Cowboy America, King Arthur, and it's an old observation that under marginally different circumstances Hitler could have easily been just like Heinlein or John Lange or Harlan Ellison in being a sci-fi/fantasy rear end in a top hat courting a fandom of toxic shitheads around his dumb regressive bullshit. Like, 1972 old: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Dream.

It stands to reason that more than a few of the OG Nazi crew were sci-fi losers who dreamt of space and looked to the original modern isekai-- John Carter of Mars-- and other pulp fiction of the 30s as inspiration of space as a frontier to colonize, and that all the fancy new rocket/missile tech would help them get there.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think he's basically in the Musk camp. He probably figured (like Musk) that bringing him out on stage was a win-win for them both. He'd get the cultural cachet of palling around with the (now former) richest man in the world, and Musk would get to be seen as cool by palling around with an incredibly successful comedian. Neither one of them probably ever thought, even for a second, that Musk would get the response he did on that night.
You are right, just saying this is probably the final turning point for him to do a mea culpa, take a break, and go back to NBC or something with his tail between his legs so he keeps getting SNL gigs and conceivably book performances that aren't exclusively about figuring out what the longest way to say a slur without actually saying the slur is. He always struck me as more into wanting that crowd to still at least entertain him, unlike Louis CK.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 13, 2022