Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVI does this to its own detriment.

Everyone Cyan knows has been killed.
Time to get on a ghost train with goofy music and Sabin is a big baby who bangs on the table for ghosts to bring him ghost food.
And now Cyan is watching his murdered wife and son going to the afterlife and leaving him behind.
All in the span of no time at all, just one rapid blow of comedy followed by a rapid blow of tragedy. And it sucks. Pick one, game.

It's good and rules actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat DQ Treasures got here super fast. i guess i am playing that this week!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Re tone whiplash: Death Stranding introduces a high-up government official who wears a skull-mask and goes by "Die-Hard-Man" and your next mission is to carry your dead mother's corpse to the mountains to be cremated (you have to press buttons to keep the weight of it from making you fall down). This sounds like spoilers but it happens after about one (1) hour of gameplay. My wife did not understand the appeal when I tried to explain it to her.

in conclusion I guess it's not for everyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Time to get on a ghost train with goofy music and Sabin is a big baby who bangs on the table for ghosts to bring him ghost food.
And now Cyan is watching his murdered wife and son going to the afterlife and leaving him behind.
All in the span of no time at all, just one rapid blow of comedy followed by a rapid blow of tragedy. And it sucks. Pick one, game.
the cyan seeing his family off moment hits hard precisely because of the goofy ghost train hijinks. if the music was really dour and the game paused every two steps to make sure you knew cyan was sad itd suck rear end. god of war ps4 rear end brain.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there is a weird insistence that still exists that humor or personality in non-English games must have been unintended. you'd think this would have died out but i saw people saying it about loving Stranger of Paradise

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I genuinely think more people would get the joke if Jack did not look like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
drat a narrative can contain multitudes of emotions and tones and the interplay of them forms the connection to the human experience we seek in art? WOW!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

You think this music is goofy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ1Rb4nARA

Cyan trying to figure out how to control the magitek armor is a little goofy for a few seconds (hah, old guy with unfamiliar technology) and Sabin deciding yes, he'll eat ghost food, but otherwise the only goofy thing is Gau thinking Cyan speaks funny and he gets yelled at for it. That section of the game is like 95% Bad Times and 5% Funny.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 13, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a few other jokes on the train like the feast scene, the gag with siegfried, etc. but its more just a misadventure

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

You think this music is goofy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJJ1Rb4nARA

Cyan trying to figure out how to control the magitek armor is a little goofy for a few seconds (hah, old guy with unfamiliar technology) but otherwise the only goofy thing is Gau thinking Cyan speaks funny and he gets yelled at for it. That section of the game is like 95% Bad Times and 5% Funny.

Yes? What would you describe the music as? It's got a really silly Halloween vibe to it which fits the Ghost Train' perfectly. It's a really cool song, by the way. Nothing against the tune.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 13, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

the cyan seeing his family off moment hits hard precisely because of the goofy ghost train hijinks. if the music was really dour and the game paused every two steps to make sure you knew cyan was sad itd suck rear end. god of war ps4 rear end brain.

lol??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

The moderators ftw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i can only imagine god of war ps4 brain was the bit that set it over the edge which is really funny to me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
per the game of the year thread it is now highly illegal to make fun of God of War Ragnarok on the forums

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"very bad post" ?? according to who

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
who reported it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

per the game of the year thread it is now highly illegal to make fun of God of War Ragnarok on the forums

these are dark days where we can not make jokes about the game inspired by the sheev palpatine getting cucked script

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
claimed a game with multiple Game Awards was "epic fail". user loses posting privileges for one week

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
If writing bad posts is against the rules then probate everyone, I am Spartacus etc etc

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
paging astral to add a "puzzle hint" accessibility option to modding

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
me reporting transphobia: mods sleep
avg rpg thread post but this time it mentions god of war: mods... awaken!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ALOY: drat. This user's really saying bad things about God of War. Hold on, maybe I can find a way to stop these posts for a few hours.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
BOOKER DEWITT: Wait a minute.... that button.....

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

who reported it

probably didn't even get a report, just nikkolasking saying he didn't want to probe it cause it'd look bad to probe a post aimed at yourself, and the new mod offered to do it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
6 hours is like the funniest amount of time to probe that post for too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

loquacius posted:

If writing bad posts is against the rules then probate everyone, I am Spartacus etc etc

Let he who is without bad posts cast the first probe

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Talking about a good game FFVI and a bad game (GoW) right after eachother is like Cyan being in a sad scene, and then in a funny scene, which is illegal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We don't use ableist terms like "God of war PS4 player" in this forum. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sorry but god of war is sacred, nothing can be done about it, those are just the rules. its in the name even

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

probably didn't even get a report, just nikkolasking saying he didn't want to probe it cause it'd look bad to probe a post aimed at yourself, and the new mod offered to do it

It did get a report (although I won't tell you by who for obvious reasons) and I have never once asked a mod to do a sixer for me. I talked to Hopper once two weeks ago and only after seeing this probe did I talk to them in the discord about it.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Endorph posted:

lmao

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a 6-hour probation? this is an absolute injustice

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there is a weird insistence that still exists that humor or personality in non-English games must have been unintended. you'd think this would have died out but i saw people saying it about loving Stranger of Paradise
People do the same thing with English language humor. It takes a lot to convince people Nick Cage is trying to be funny no matter how obvious.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes? What would you describe the music as? It's got a really silly Halloween vibe to it which fits the Ghost Train' perfectly. It's a really cool song, by the way. Nothing against the tune.

Your read on anything and everything in any thread I see you post in genuinely baffles me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It'd be more honest if they just went back to saying 'mod sass' rather than pretend anything in that post was probatable

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

sorry but god of war is sacred, nothing can be done about it, those are just the rules. its in the name even

Thgank you brave moderators of something awful

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i dont even like ff6 and cyan isnt really the problem with that game. its more that the game had the length and writing ability to support a really tight core cast of like, maybe 7 people but you get a final cast of 14. cyan is lucky enough to be one of the characters who benefits from that, to the detriment of say relm, strago, every optional recruit, and even someone like sabin (at least imo). and it feels like this decision was mostly made so that there are enough people to do 3 party splits for the endgame dungeons. it feels really lame and pulls me out of the game. i also think the spell learning system a la espers is not engaging at all and you end up with essentially 14 dudes who can mostly do anything but with some mild flavor skills to differentiate (like edgar tools, mog being immune to physical damage with the snow scarf et al, things in that realm). i wont deny that its clearly a game that did a lot for the genre and medium overall, that a lot of people like it, and that theres even stuff to like in it. but the cons outweigh the pros for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Brother, you've been probated! It will pass."