Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

boar guy posted:

haha we constantly buy those awards at work. they are a great way to astroturf publicity for a boss that wants to be famous- which is why the emails usually go straight to the CEO- but they literally have no impact on the business

Yeah. It's really dumb. My job is mostly alright but I always get frustrated when this rolls around. It's like their obsession with going viral. They don't seem to realize that that only happens with places that have a big social media presence that the company puts a lot of work into. Also it doesn't create sales out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

me, to accounting, for one of those awards: hey, can you verify our annual income on this form and also cut me a check to pay for it

accounting: WE loving PAY FOR THAT BULLSHIT?!?!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Another marketing strategy is to produce a high quality product at a reasonable price, so yeah buying awards is much easier from a business sense.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Outrail posted:

Another marketing strategy is to produce a high quality product at a reasonable price, so yeah buying awards is much easier from a business sense.

it's about the ego. every business owner i've ever worked for STARTED THIS IN MY GARAGE, DAMMIT, PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR THIS STORY

um, that's how every business starts, bossman. at least you can have some trophies and magazine covers, no one has to know they're bought and paid for, chill

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh great. Boss put on Richard Cheese on the stereo we all use to vibe. He’ll be playing this poo poo all day. This is some CIA interrogation poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Richard Cheese is not a vibe.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

goes great with Peaches though

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
loving call centers. I have to remove .4 hours off my paid time for unscheduled breaks where I got up and grabbed food or went to the bathroom. We were absolutely dead the entire day. They should absolutely pay me for frequent bathroom breaks since it’s from migraines cause by their lovely lights.

They also have lights that apparently give a massive number of employees migraines aside from me, and they just replaced all of the burnt out bulbs. My migraine glasses can’t block them out so I drive home every night with my stomach threatening to come out of my mouth.

They really need to have a dark room for everyone complaining of migraines.

Bored fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 13, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sounds like it's time for a call to OSHA.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Somehow the Belgian dark strong I kegged yesterday is selling really well? This is sort of weird but nice. I wasn't expecting it to be a quick seller. More like a niche interest beer. I guess we have a weird customer base. They also seem to like the brown ale. I would have never put my money on either of those. Earlier today I saw a woman order a mug of the dark strong. I had a half pour last night and definitely felt it.

The rauchbier I brewed last year ended up being a dark horse like this too - it sold WAY faster than anybody expected and was a huge hit. Doesn't hurt that it won gold in the category at BCBA :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RocketMermaid posted:

The rauchbier I brewed last year ended up being a dark horse like this too - it sold WAY faster than anybody expected and was a huge hit. Doesn't hurt that it won gold in the category at BCBA :)

How much did you have to pay them?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

McGavin posted:

How much did you have to pay them?

Eh, the other brewer is the one who handles all the awards stuff. He pulled a hat trick by getting gold at Alpha King and GABF for his hazy IPAs on the same day (which is honestly a legitimate achievement!) and the whole company obsessed over winning awards for the next year and a half because they thought it would blow the doors off everyone. It's gained us some good press and a great reputation but I don't think it's really done that much for the business, and it's taken a while for them to come down to earth on how meaningful awards really are.

Different awards are of different quality and reputation, but generally we mostly participate in the most well-known ones and some of the local ones. Nothing as transparently pay-to-win as what EFN is describing, but holy poo poo is he right about the quality of judging and feedback. But there's a lot of stuff we focus on that nobody but craft beer grognards are going to care about, and we need to focus on more nuts-and-bolts stuff like social media and the taproom staff keeping the loving taproom clean.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

McGavin posted:

Sounds like it's time for a call to OSHA.

Hmmm. I SHOULD since I constantly hear people complaining about their migraines and this shot was going on in this building 20 years ago when I had a seasonal job here in my 20s. I stopped coming to work then. I did not know that I felt so sick at the end of every day because I had started getting migraines auras.

For some reason, call centers are really difficult to make employment laws for. Like, there have to be bathrooms, but they are allowed to penalize you for using them when you don’t have a scheduled break. And if you get a medical exemption, they will schedule an extra break that you better ducking adhere to OR you can have extra UNPAID breaks. I have no clue why the people that come up with these rules think they are okay when you KNOW they get to use the bathroom when needed as if they are humans.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2022

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bored posted:

Hmmm. I SHOULD since I constantly hear people complaining about their migraines and this shot was going on in this building 20 years ago when I had a seasonal job here in my 20s. I stopped coming to work then. I did not know that I felt so sick at the end of every day because I had started getting migraines auras.

For some reason, call centers are really difficult to make employment laws for. Like, there have to be bathrooms, but they are allowed to penalize you for using them when you don’t have a scheduled break. And if you get a medical exemption, they will schedule an extra break that you better ducking adhere to OR you can have extra UNPAID breaks. I have no clue why the people that come up with these rules think they are okay when you KNOW they get to use the bathroom when needed as if they are humans.

Pee in a bottle at your desk and throw it at your boss's car

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Okay. That was easier than I thought. Here it is:

Possibly :nws:

"No, I said our beer is for PORTER-philes!"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

I'm on another trip with my boomer coworker.

He got mad when he saw I was wearing a mask in the airport.

At the rental car counter, we learn that he doesn't have a reservation there. That's because no cars were available when he tried to book, so the travel agent reserved one at the off-airport location. Instead of getting a taxi to the off-airport location, he insists on going to other counters and asking if they have any cars, learning that no cars are available, throwing a mini tantrum, then getting a taxi to the off-airport location.

He insisted I drive and he navigate (by speaking the location into his phone and letting Siri give directions). After he complains about being sent around our rear end to get to our elbow, I figure out that he has avoid highways set. I follow the signs to the highway, and he complains about me missing all the turns.

At least there's no XM this time, so I only have to endure the occasional rant about the CIA and FBI suppressing information about Hunter Biden's laptop.

If you are doing all the driving, couldn’t you just leave without him at some point? Just claim it was some sort of misunderstanding, and spend the rest of the trip actually getting to the work location in a reasonable time. Then get the proper work done on the proper system.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

If you are doing all the driving, couldn’t you just leave without him at some point? Just claim it was some sort of misunderstanding, and spend the rest of the trip actually getting to the work location in a reasonable time. Then get the proper work done on the proper system.

If I did this I would miss out on him talking about anything except what we're supposed to be working on, making every task take twice as long as it should. And when doing diagnosis and talking through something, I'd miss out on him bringing something up completely unrelated and sending everyone down the wrong path. And I'd miss out on him complaining how cold it is. He's real mad he has to wear a coat. It's above freezing.

Only 2 mentions of Hunter Biden's laptop today. I think he's brought up gas prices 3 or 4 times today. But we still have dinner to go.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Okay. That was easier than I thought. Here it is:

There's a lot that's wrong with this image but for some reason the fact that the lower strip is labeled "Luck/good fortune" is the one that pokes out to me.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

Bored posted:

Not too hard to make good labor laws. I work in a Call Center here in Germany and get to go to the bathroom whenever I like and it's 100% paid. The time you are expected to finish calls in is also pretty generous, so it's easy to take small 2-3 minute breaks after every call and still be good on time per call. Only real downside for me is the part where you get yelled at for problems you didn't cause and aren't given the ability to solve.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It could be

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Could be worse, it could be his cousin Dick Fromage, who does italo disco covers instead.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Could be worse, it could be his cousin Dick Fromage, who does italo disco covers instead.

Awww.

Dick Fromage doesnt put their stuff on spotify. :(

Boooooo.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

fresh_cheese posted:

Awww.

Dick Fromage doesnt put their stuff on spotify. :(

Boooooo.

What about Dick Frottage?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

That sure is a label that won’t start pointed questions.

:actually: it's called a Manji you can tell by the direction the points are facing in this essay I will lay out

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Machai posted:

I’m back on board.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

You could have the highest quality product in the world but it doesn't matter if nobody knows about it. The thing is nobody gives a poo poo about these awards. I'm not saying we need to hire a marketing firm or anything, but we could build things up. He'll, even if it was an actual contest we won it's not going to really do anything without a basis to work from.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

:hfive: Nice!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You could have the highest quality product in the world but it doesn't matter if nobody knows about it. The thing is nobody gives a poo poo about these awards. I'm not saying we need to hire a marketing firm or anything, but we could build things up. He'll, even if it was an actual contest we won it's not going to really do anything without a basis to work from.

Yeah, I mean every wine on the shelf was rated 98% at Le Merde awards at Chateau Papier Carton. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Machai posted:

These guys can probably help you out with that

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I will say winning a legit award is an actual accomplishment. Like winning GABF at all like RocketMermaid did is a huge accomplishment. But also like they said, people don't blow the doors off now that you won. It's icing on the cake. Without a good sales network in place it's absolutely meaningless. So even if I won a legit award and it created demand, it wouldn't matter because nobody responds to the emails.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 14, 2022

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

For the last three days there haven’t been any good cleansuits in my size, so I’ve had to wear the disposable paper ones.

These things are the most loving insulated things, I am boiling in my sweat. This wouldn’t be much of a problem except I started a new bay with new machines today, so my new coworkers’ first impression of me will be as the greasiest sweatiest dullard who knows nothing about chemical vapor deposition.

For the record I’m the greasiest, sweatiest dullard who knows a few things about physical vapor deposition.

Edit: and naturally the new bay is a million degrees warmer, it’s stuffed full of pumps and server racks that were in a ventilated cabinet in my old bay

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 14, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TaurusTorus posted:

For the last three days there haven’t been any good cleansuits in my size, so I’ve had to wear the disposable paper ones.

These things are the most loving insulated things, I am boiling in my sweat. This wouldn’t be much of a problem except I started a new bay with new machines today, so my new coworkers’ first impression of me will be as the greasiest sweatiest dullard who knows nothing about chemical vapor deposition.

For the record I’m the greasiest, sweatiest dullard who knows a few things about physical vapor deposition.

Edit: and naturally the new bay is a million degrees warmer, it’s stuffed full of pumps and server racks that were in a ventilated cabinet in my old bay

I grabbed a hood today that just had this tiny viewhole cutout? Terrible, WTF.
While you're in there, I need you to check some leak detectors and RF fans. Something is making a lot of noise.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Bored posted:

No you should call OSHA about deducting time for bathroom breaks. That should not be done, according to FLSA.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've had it with this place and my boss. Things have been brewing for a while but I just can't deal with it anymore.

Several months ago I took a vacation time on a board meeting day. Not a big deal in the past, but several things went wrong that day that only I could fix. My coworkers couldn't deal with them because they are actually airing the meeting. After that my boss said that I ma no longer allowed to take a vacation day on the same days as a board meeting. It's bull poo poo but I went along with it. I also carry my phone and answer work emails when not on the clock and can remote into my work system to try and fix stuff remotely. Which I have done while walking through the line at Disneyland. My corkers can take whatever time they want, just not me.

A couple months pass and there is a convention that I attend in Vegas, being this up with her and say that her policy means I don't get to go. She says that is silly, I'm attending as a county employee. I bring up the fact that I'll be gone on a board day, but says that I'm actually working. I try and get it through her head that while I'll be working, I still won't be on site to fix anything that comes up. She says my attending isn't an issue and that they'll be fine.

Time passes and we get some new cameras, this is important. They are decent 4k PTZ cameras and have a better picture than the old ones. Then the chief of staff for one of the board members starts complaining that the video looks too green. I look at the YouTube feed and its ok, maybe a bit dark. I look at the professional monitors we have, looks good. I look at it on a scope, still looks good. I have my coworkers look at it, they say it looks good. My boss suggests white balancing the cameras again, which shouldn't make video look green on only on site, but I do it.

Last week he starts complaining again and my boss tells me again that I need to fix things. I bite my tongue and white balance them all again. This time I do notice a slight color shift, the cameras we looking a bit too red. All should have been ok, but I was also taking some time off this week again on a board day. I put in for the time a month ago, and spoke to her directly since she never seems to see our time off requests. She hems and haws and has to check to see if various other people are comfortable with me taking time off. They are ok with it, and probably were confused why they were being asked.

So I'm away from the office and she starts emailing me that I didn't let me coworkers know that I was going to be out (they don't care) and that I haven't trained them on fixing things (hard to fix stuff when it rarely breaks and they are busy doing other things). She then sends me an email that we are going to have a discussion about the green cameras again and asks if we can get a vendor tech to come up and fix them properly. I really doubt Panasonic is gonna send a tech out for free to fix four cameras.

I've looked at these cameras multiple times and the only thing I can think of is the encoder is jacking things up or some other thing outside of my control. Here's a screen shot from my home computer, looks pretty fine to me. Skin tones look good, the white of the guys mask is decent.

Here's another shot

Still looks pretty good to me. So either the guy complaining doesn't have a clue, his computer screen is dying and shifting colors, or I don't know how to do my job.

So I'm done with this crap, she wants to basically tell me I don't know what I'm doing then I'll just leave. There's isn't a whole lot of need for engineers like me in this town so if I don't find something I'll end my 25 year career in TV and go dig loving ditches. I'm so done with it all. I'm gonna start taking crap from my office home, will make it easier to clean out my desk when I quit.

And just to not end this on a down note, well kind of. My old stations building was old-ish, build in 1983 and it showed. In master control we had long sections of conduit in the ways to feed cables, but they also feed other things like rats and mice. One weekend I came into the room and the doors were open and it stunk. The guy I was relieving said that he found a dead rat under the floor a couple hours ago and had the doors open for ventilation. A couple of hours into my shift the smell isn't getting better so I go looking and find another dead rat about 20 feet from the desk. I scrape it up and think that's that. The person who relieved me found two more dead rats on her shift.

Here's a shot from about ten feet where we normally sat. All the black bits are rat droppings.

It gets worse. About six months after I left, the sewage system backed up and there was about two inches of water under the floor... with all that rat crap floating around like some sort of soup from hell.

Ok, rant over.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Guess the boss is sorta mad at me because I basically said that I don't give a poo poo what beers we enter into the awards event. I probably shouldn't have said it. I just wish the money could be spent on something more useful. At least he's a reasonable guy and we'll be able to hash it out. I just don't give a poo poo what awards we buy. I just said enter the weakest sellers. It won't help sell anything, but at least this way we won't lose a keg that we could have sold. I really just don't give a poo poo. I guess he thinks I don't care about sales. I do. That's why I don't care about this dumb poo poo. At least in house sales are decent enough.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TaurusTorus posted:

I had to wear a full tyvek bunny with cuff tape and 2 gloves, boot covers, goggles, the works for 10-12 hours a day 4-6 days a week when I worked at the drug factory. God loving awful.

No putting your hands below your waist, either. Keep the fingertips up in the airflow.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Evilreaver posted:

Working as a court reporter for a social security disability court. I transcribe verbatim what's going on which take a lot of 'brain off' in-the-zone typing. This particular case is by remote video-- but since I only type spoken word, I typically have the video conference behind 20 other windows.

So there's a case starting, and there's the boring lawyer-talk reading of issues opener so my brain is especially off, when the claimant's representative says "Oh, I attached a picture of the claimant's [injury/disease], it's sort of a rare thing so I attached a medical doc to help explain to the court what we're looking at." typetypetype Judge: "Eh it just looks like a smudge? What am I supposed to get from this?" typetypetype "Oh looks like it was added to the case file incorrectly, I have a printout of it here... let me hold it up to the camera" typetypetype

Judge: "Wow, oh my God! That's grisly!" typetypetype wait huh "Yea can you see it over the--" "YES I CAN! Oh gosh! That sure is..."

I frantically dig through my windows, but when I get it up the lawyer was putting the picture away :mad: "Yea the VA says that it's the largest [injury/disease of this type] they've ever seen, let alone outside of a warzone"

My whole day was ruined :mad:

I actually cried laughing reading this

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Time for some deep commentary, bro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

diremonk posted:

Here's a screen shot from my home computer, looks pretty fine to me. Skin tones look good, the white of the guys mask is decent.

Here's another shot

I can kinda see it on my phone tbh. Look in the black surface of the table in the first shot, the gold decoration and chair surface in the second shot. Not enough to care or call foul on you, but there is something noticeable there for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can kinda see it on my phone tbh. Look in the black surface of the table in the first shot, the gold decoration and chair surface in the second shot. Not enough to care or call foul on you, but there is something noticeable there for me.

what am I supposed to be looking for? The black surface of the table looks like the black surface of a table. The gold decoration and chair look like a gold decoration and chair, respectively.

enhance ...... still not seeing it..... enhance again...... oh I see what you're talking about. that's not a table at all! when you zoom all the way in the image is revealed to be a grid of tiny colored squares!!! even more remarkable, each square contains only a single color!

yeah, I hate to break it to you man, but..... I'm pretty sure that when you zoom all the way in on reality, it's not made up of a bunch of tiny squares. that definitely accounts for the distortion. have you tried changing the focus?