Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Professor Beetus posted:

Lol I realized what I would have to do to 1000/1000 this game and made peace with my 870 or whatever.

Just to make this current playthrough even more cursed, I told Endris not to get married too! :negative:

No Dignity posted:

I'd be apologising to Mathilda if I were you

I would if I could, but.... well, you know. :gonk:

WarpedLichen posted:

I do think that's true to a degree, but one thing to keep in mind is that the Abbot is still culpable as well.

He's clearly still living in relative extravagance, so whatever he's doing with that money, he's more willing to starve the peasants than to go without.

I hit a conversation tree I hadn't seen before in Act 2 recently where Andreas can mention that the Church doesn't need GOLD cups for use in communion, and both the Abbot and Mathieu were incredibly offended and insisted that the Chuch MUST have the finest things. That on top of the Abbot's incredibly extravagant dinner (and it wasn't put on just to impress Andreas, Lukas can mention that the Abbot insists on having the most expensive possible meals ALL THE TIME) while he's sitting there saying,"The peasants have stretched even MY patience!" as if he was the most humble motherfucker in the world really infuriated me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

Just to make this current playthrough even more cursed, I told Endris not to get married too! :negative:

I would if I could, but.... well, you know. :gonk:

I hit a conversation tree I hadn't seen before in Act 2 recently where Andreas can mention that the Church doesn't need GOLD cups for use in communion, and both the Abbot and Mathieu were incredibly offended and insisted that the Chuch MUST have the finest things. That on top of the Abbot's incredibly extravagant dinner (and it wasn't put on just to impress Andreas, Lukas can mention that the Abbot insists on having the most expensive possible meals ALL THE TIME) while he's sitting there saying,"The peasants have stretched even MY patience!" as if he was the most humble motherfucker in the world really infuriated me.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but there is a gamer hell and it looks like you're going to be there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My only hope is that my refusal to kill any trolls in the Witcher games saves me :ohdear:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Question : if you do the autopsy as a medical student, is Andreas implying that the mercury used to treat the Baron's syphilis may have made him mercurial ? Or am I reading too much into this ?

im pretty sure that’s the implication yeah

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

But they DO need the gold cups and the extravagant dinners, if those markers of hierarchy are lost then like, the function or necessity of that hierarchy is then in question. The Abbey, acting as representatives of the bishop or w/e as land lords have an obligation to display wealth as a sign of their prestige and prosperity

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Whats with the ghost on the aqueduct in act 1

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

The Father sneaking in and out of the abbey via the aqueduct passage?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sekenr posted:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be (Act 3) the sister from the town church who tunnels from under the church and leaves all the purple notes. if you're not finished with the game yet make sure you do that first, it's nearly explicitly spelled out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sekenr posted:

The following relates to spoilers for the ENTIRE game, and the main plot, be warned!

Father Thomas took advantage of Sister Amalie's difficulties with distinguishing between reality and her visions and convinced her that she was able to travel in spirit to do God's work. References are made to her physical condition that suggest she was able to contort her body to fit through narrow spaces, and fleeting glimpses of her are referenced multiple times throughout the game as she moved through the aqueduct system, the Mithraeum and the secret passages that lead into the abbey.

When Andreas sees the "ghost" leaping across the gap in the aqueduct, we're presumably seeing Amalie returning from the abbey after planting the note (she wrote under Thomas' guidance as he "interpreted" the "vision" she'd had) for the Baron to find, in order to get him into position where one of the people Thomas had also had her plant notes on would hopefully show up and kill him. We later end up crossing that gap ourselves in Act 2, and during that hunt through the aqueduct, Caspar can crawl into the space that only Amalie could otherwise fit into, but without a light he can't see he has ended up in the Mithraeum. He mentions its smell, which largely matches the smell that Margarette detected when the "devil" entered the abbey at night. In Act 3 when Madga tours the convent, she's told about a "ghost" that emerged in the kitchen, which we also discovered in Act 2 had an entrance available from the aqueduct (as did the crypt, which in turn gives access to the library in addition to the rest of the abbey).

Edit: On an entirely unrelated note, it cracked me up that if you have the logic background, when you find The Name of the Rose reference, Andreas chuckles that a labyrinth like that is stretching credulity even if it makes for a good story :laugh:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 13, 2022

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The following relates to spoilers for the ENTIRE game, and the main plot, be warned!

Father Thomas took advantage of Sister Amalie's difficulties with distinguishing between reality and her visions and convinced her that she was able to travel in spirit to do God's work. References are made to her physical condition that suggest she was able to contort her body to fit through narrow spaces, and fleeting glimpses of her are referenced multiple times throughout the game as she moved through the aqueduct system, the Mithraeum and the secret passages that lead into the abbey.

When Andreas sees the "ghost" leaping across the gap in the aqueduct, we're presumably seeing Amalie returning from the abbey after planting the note (she wrote under Thomas' guidance as he "interpreted" the "vision" she'd had) for the Baron to find, in order to get him into position where one of the people Thomas had also had her plant notes on would hopefully show up and kill him. We later end up crossing that gap ourselves in Act 2, and during that hunt through the aqueduct, Caspar can crawl into the space that only Amalie could otherwise fit into, but without a light he can't see he has ended up in the Mithraeum. He mentions its smell, which largely matches the smell that Margarette detected when the "devil" entered the abbey at night. In Act 3 when Madga tours the convent, she's told about a "ghost" that emerged in the kitchen, which we also discovered in Act 2 had an entrance available from the aqueduct (as did the crypt, which in turn gives access to the library in addition to the rest of the abbey).

Edit: On an entirely unrelated note, it cracked me up that if you have the logic background, when you find The Name of the Rose reference, Andreas chuckles that a labyrinth like that is stretching credulity even if it makes for a good story :laugh:

Huh, yes makes sense

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Buschmaki posted:

But they DO need the gold cups and the extravagant dinners, if those markers of hierarchy are lost then like, the function or necessity of that hierarchy is then in question. The Abbey, acting as representatives of the bishop or w/e as land lords have an obligation to display wealth as a sign of their prestige and prosperity
Yeah, this is modern thought conflicting with medieval thought. Flaunting your wealth and living in luxury is in fact a crucial part of any lord’s job. If the Abbott didn’t do it, he’d be demonstrating an unfitness for the office.

Is this bullshit? Martin Luther and a growing number of peasants and commoners would say yes, but even within living memory when the game opens, nobody would have questioned it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, this is modern thought conflicting with medieval thought. Flaunting your wealth and living in luxury is in fact a crucial part of any lord’s job. If the Abbott didn’t do it, he’d be demonstrating an unfitness for the office.

Is this bullshit? Martin Luther and a growing number of peasants and commoners would say yes, but even within living memory when the game opens, nobody would have questioned it.

Good point. Still think the Abbot's an rear end, though!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Oh he is an ultra rear end which actually made me kind of surprised there wasn’t an option when I first saw it to let Peter murderize him when you run into Otto’s body

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2022

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
To be fair, he runs away rather quickly. And then one could argue that Andreas is trying to save the other Brothers rather than Gernot.

Speaking of Act 2, someone mentioned letting the Sisters convince Karl to let you go into the crypt, does that option work if Mathilda was killed in Act 1 ? In my playthrough, she was the one who read the Riot Act to Karl and shamed him into letting us pass, and I can't see Gertrude, funny and irreverent as she can be, pulling off the same kind of righteous indignation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I never bothered trying one way or another. I already knew how to get into the library from the crypt from Act 1, so when Karl said "nobody's allowed in" I went "uh-huh, okay, sure buddy" and walked right through the secret entrance.

Jerusalem posted:

Good point. Still think the Abbot's an rear end, though!
Oh, he definitely is. But not a fiscally irresponsible one!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So does Octilla ever make it all the way to talk to Magda about the old ways?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WarpedLichen posted:

So does Octilla ever make it all the way to talk to Magda about the old ways?

No, but if you convince Ursula to listen to Ill Peter's stories, she'll also learn the old ways from Otillia before she passes.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
And then she'll join Vaclav at the stake :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RoyalScion posted:

And then she'll join Vaclav at the stake :v:

Not if you kept Ferenc alive!

Even then, my first playthrough Ferenc was dead and Andreas failed to warn her off the old ways, but Magda telling her to be careful meant she ended up not only surviving but her son becomes the new town priest!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Act 3 of Pentiment won best moment on the Giantbomb end of the year deliberations. I thought the discussion beautifully summed up why that act was so impactful for me

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/giant-bombs-game-of-the-year-2022-day-1/2970-22043

Starts 2:17:50

Spoilers if you haven’t finished it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I looked, briefly, and haven't yet found a copy that was in English, substantive, and unbowdlerized.

Is there a problem with the Paul Oppenheimer edition?

My World's Classics has all the poo poo and anti-Semitism retained.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 14, 2022

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

a guy tricking people into smelling, touching, and eating his poo poo is timeless. shame about the anti-semitism.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I wonder if the lack of dining sequences in act 3 is because the developer ran out of time or if it's because it would be inappropriate for an unmarried woman to eat with men or whatever

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

bone emulator posted:

I wonder if the lack of dining sequences in act 3 is because the developer ran out of time or if it's because it would be inappropriate for an unmarried woman to eat with men or whatever

Huh I never thought about that, I figured it was because Andreas was a visitor in town vs Magda being a native with her own house.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

magda swore off eating and drinking altogether after an encounter with till eulenspiegel

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Act 3 is a mechanical shift in a lot of ways. You lose the picking where to eat mechanic, there's no ticking clock, the timespan is thus much longer, and rather than a single mystery, you do vignettes on several smaller ones.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Metroid Fitzgerald posted:

Just started today. Game already owns

I like that Mathieu just no sells your bullshit lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I like that Mathieu just no sells your bullshit lol

The fact there is an option to FURTHER explain what it means after he just goes "...." is amazing.

Also, choosing the legal background lead to a wonderful bit in Act 2 where Otillia is still stand-offish and a little snippy towards Andreas, but if you talk to other people you learn that she never shuts up about how great Andreas is after he helped save her house :3:

theblackw0lf posted:

Act 3 of Pentiment won best moment on the Giantbomb end of the year deliberations. I thought the discussion beautifully summed up why that act was so impactful for me

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/giant-bombs-game-of-the-year-2022-day-1/2970-22043

Starts 2:17:50

Spoilers if you haven’t finished it.

Really enjoyed the discussion of the Act as a whole, yeah. I have to admit, when I saw "Best Moment" I assumed it would be that absolutely incredible moment late in Act 3 when Sister Amalie's font turns purple and you get that musical cue from seeing the previous notes.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

WarpedLichen posted:

Huh I never thought about that, I figured it was because Andreas was a visitor in town vs Magda being a native with her own house.

Yeah I assumed it was a mix of both. Andreas is a visitor to town, and an interesting one which one day will lead him to (unhappy) wealth, so people are happy to have him over. Magda has lived here her whole life and is a single woman. And a lot of people are coming over to pitch in to help take care of things while Claus is ill so that's extending their generosity a bit anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

drat, in Act 3 during the second section, I failed to get Suzanne to leave the convent. I had four positive checks with her and no negative, but they were all single arrows, and it wasn't enough. What was I supposed to have said? Poor girl was miserable.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

drat, in Act 3 during the second section, I failed to get Suzanne to leave the convent. I had four positive checks with her and no negative, but they were all single arrows, and it wasn't enough. What was I supposed to have said? Poor girl was miserable.

Haggle background gives you three

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Out of curiosity, on this playthrough I wrapped up and decided to keep Father Thomas' secret, it makes for a very nice final mural but man does it feel wrong to have done that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can someone let me know if this is a bug or not? Act 2 investigating:

I found Guy’s occult book and then the lemon juice and then learned how he was stealing money from the abbey. However, when I went to question him, I was only able to ask about the occult side, and not the theft side. Is this intentional? I’m still on the first “block” since I began the investigation.

I feel bad that I’m always bringing up bugs and want to clarify I’m only doing that because I know the person most able to get them fixed is here 😛

edit: ok yeah it absolutely is. I found the gold and questioned him but I apparently still don’t have enough proof even though I literally found his secret notes????

I’m really loving this act and Martin getting his poo poo together and becoming a good dude is so heartwarming

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 14, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao @ the last part of that last post

Re the bug mentioned earlier: I had to do the confession thing and tell Guy I’d seen it. Once I’d done that, “I found your ledger” appeared as if it had been there the whole time hahaha

Act 2 absolutely ruled. Those climactic moments are just so fantastic - you completely agree with the peasants (or at least I did!) but can see how foolhardy Peter is being and it’s a really frustrating tragedy. Also Andreas sacrificing himself for books lmao what an idiot (although we didn’t see a body SO Y’KNOW)

I had two theories for act 3, and so far one of them has been right - you play as Claus’ daughter and the book you give her affects her knowledge - and one has been very wrong - that Andreas is the victim. Tomorrow I will finish and I am so so excited to see what the rest has in store. I’ll admit I’m pretty sure who the thread-puller is (Thomas), and I’ve been sure of that for a while, but I will still find that very satisfying and thematically appropriate if it does turn out to be the case.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey ropekid if you're still listening my wife wants a gertrude plush. please and thanks

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

If you can rewind back to the decision, use reverse psychology. Say all the same things then say she should stay in the convent.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 15, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

hey ropekid if you're still listening my wife wants a gertrude plush. please and thanks

Absolutely same except it's me, I want the Gertrude plush.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Look at all these people who don’t want a mausfanger pet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao a Gertrude plush is an amazing idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Every indie ever seems to spamming my steam news bar with https://www.makeship.com/ plushies so these dreams could come true