Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mind the walrus posted:

More of a modern thing, I'm pretty sure the OG Nazis had no idea that literally 10 years after their loss we'd be sending up satellites and manned missions no lie it's kind-of insane how fast that tech moved.

You're kidding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

were the OG nazis obsessed with space, I'm pretty sure when they spent all their time blathering about how the wreckage of their Volkshalle was gonna blow some neoprimitive shepherd's mind in 1000 years they weren't talking about it happening on Titan

They were split on the issue. There was a big subsection of "progressive" nazis. Who wanted eugenics and science to create a master race and culture that is superior to everything that came before. As opposed to wanting those actions to rebuild an idealized past.
You can actually see the lineage from the liberal eugenicists to the techno-nazis, to the libertarian/right wing transhumanists like Musk.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

You're kidding, right?
Apparently. Thanks for being a shithead about it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I'm sure this is a error, right?

It's not like he spoke with Putin and said Ukraine should give up territory to Russia or anything.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
enschuldingung wo ist der TEKNO-NAZIS :hehe:

bitte

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Dear Elon,

Your trans-daughter disowned you and Grimes left you for Chelsea Manning not because of the "WOKE MIND VIRUS" but because you're an rear end in a top hat.

"I'm the best father in the world! How could they hate me? Now let's wheel out my kid that I named "X-BOOBS69FART" for a photo op after not seeing him since the day he was born because I was saving humanity by owning the libz."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mind the walrus posted:

More of a modern thing, I'm pretty sure the OG Nazis had no idea that literally 10 years after their loss we'd be sending up satellites and manned missions no lie it's kind-of insane how fast that tech moved.

I like the idea in Planetary where space exploration was well underway earlier than the public knew.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
dwight schrute billionaire bitch

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mind the walrus posted:

Apparently. Thanks for being a shithead about it.

You're posting about Nazi space poo poo and don't know who Wernher von Braun is?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
terraforming planets is dumb because its way way cheaper and easier to just go transhumanism and have cyborg bods that survive whatever new niche you need.

also probably better from a multi planet GDP pov to use Mars as a low pressure/atmosphere sandbox with gravity instead of turning it into a worse earth.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

crispix posted:

dwight schrute billionaire bitch

Hey, c'mon now. At least Dwight actually makes people laugh.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

You're posting about Nazi space poo poo and don't know who Wernher von Braun is?

Nothing in the post indicates they aren't aware of that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 13, 2022

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

IDK that there's any point in debating the logistics of it when he's been pretty transparent about having no actual interest in colonizing Mars.

Yeah the big thing to note is that his Mars colonization plans are basically a "draw the rest of the owl" scenario. He's just providing the rocket, which is arguably the simplest part of running a Mars colony. Note Im not saying that providing the rocket is easy - its a very hard part. The rest is just harder than that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know you're not implying otherwise, but I feel compelled to point out that Elon Musk is absolutely not providing the rocket; he is at best pre-emptively taking credit for the people who may in the future provide a rocket.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 13, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

nobody's really talking about whether there were any Nazi H.G. Wells fans, the Nazis had a whole articulated party mythos and vision for the future being defined from the top and it wasn't colonizing Mars so much as reprising the Roman Empire with the aesthetics of Pink Floyd's The Wall. Space colonization would have fit in pretty seamlessly with their general hardon for anything metallic or explosive but they just didn't talk about it much, why colonize the Moon when you're trying to turn Asia into a moonscape and colonize that? Postwar, fascists glommed onto the space race the same time the Soviets did for very obvious reasons, and afaict there hasn't ever been an era where it was a distinctly rightwing thing.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 13, 2022

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Nothing in the post indicates they aren't aware of that.
No no, let them continue, I want to hear about knowing Werner Von Braun is this silver bullet and that I obviously wasn't aware of him or his contributions. :allears:

Animal-Mother posted:

I like the idea in Planetary where space exploration was well underway earlier than the public knew.
It's such a shame about Warren Ellis because most of Planetary does hold up, either as a cutesy Gen X artifact or "oh that's actually pretty good" pop culture synthesis ideas he was good at injecting. The ending is rushed because everyone involved had moved on and the project dragged way too long, but everything about it that needs to work does work.

I was going to try and tie the chief antagonist of that book to Elon Musk, but on-balance that dude from the silly old Comic Book is actually better than Musk because at least he was working his rear end off and largely came from modest means before selling humanity out to weird Transformer Demons on an alternate Earth and treating the Universe like his own playground for 70 years by hoarding weird sci-fi tech. He definitely looks like the way Musk imagines himself looking by the end of the series though-- a gross-looking technofetishist going around on a bad facsimile of the Enterprise from Star Trek.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ryde posted:

Yeah the big thing to note is that his Mars colonization plans are basically a "draw the rest of the owl" scenario. He's just providing the rocket, which is arguably the simplest part of running a Mars colony. Note Im not saying that providing the rocket is easy - its a very hard part. The rest is just harder than that.

you put some potato scraps in a bucket of your own poo poo, how hard can it be?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The woke mind virus is the omission of the implied "(white)" or often "(white male christian)" in every sentence.

As in "we have to prevent the collapse of civilization" or "the declining birthrate will doom us all!"

As techsavvy as he pretends to be, elost is the humanest "save our endangered tribe" human.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 13, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Last Call posted:

It's not like he spoke with Putin and said Ukraine should give up territory to Russia or anything.

They should check the T's ("The Ukraine")

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

You are right, just saying this is probably the final turning point for him to do a mea culpa, take a break, and go back to NBC or something with his tail between his legs so he keeps getting SNL gigs and conceivably book performances that aren't exclusively about figuring out what the longest way to say a slur without actually saying the slur is. He always struck me as more into wanting that crowd to still at least entertain him, unlike Louis CK.

I don't think Chappelle is capable of that level of self-reflection, though. He doesn't see what he's doing as anything wrong, in his view he's just "speaking truth to power" and tweaking the noses of the elites. He's not going to apologize any time soon

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I hope that when Elon gets on Mars, assuming his rocket doesn't explode halfway there, he is greeted by blue haired Martian transwomen who communicate by booing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Last Call posted:

It could be legit sort of, as in some parts of Ukraine are under Russian controlled, Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia, and so are under sanctions like Russia.
I know some companies won't allow anyone to register or use their site from those four areas.

Then again it could be 11-Brain Elon

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm a fan of The Expanse's take on Mars, where there's a colony but they have to live underground in domes and can't go outside. "The terraforming project" is played up in-universe as something that's definitely gonna happen real soon you guys, just you wait, it'll fix everything about living here, and then it never happens over the entire span of the series.

Reminds me of Musk's promises. Can't exactly put a finger on why.

So the project exits prior to the gates opening and is taking place, it's a multi-generation thing it's expected to still take hundreds of years no one alive is expected to see it complete. It basically get shitcanned when the gates open because why the gently caress are we terraforming this when there's thousands of planets with perfect biospheres open?

It likely was actually on track to be completed in a few hundred years. It was very much scrapped entirely during the course of the books and still talked about as if it is going to happen though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

So the project exits prior to the gates opening and is taking place, it's a multi-generation thing it's expected to still take hundreds of years no one alive is expected to see it complete. It basically get shitcanned when the gates open because why the gently caress are we terraforming this when there's thousands of planets with perfect biospheres open?

It likely was actually on track to be completed in a few hundred years. It was very much scrapped entirely during the course of the books and still talked about as if it is going to happen though.

If Elon is such a genius, why doesn't he simply open one of these gates to a perfectly habitable planet you speak of, instead of terraforming Mars?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MrQwerty posted:

I feel like I was exposed to an inordinate amount of 1950's newsreels about the patriotic American rocket scientist, Warner von Brown.

And he always had a big poo poo eating grin on his face too. "Huh. I got away with it."

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Yes and his siblings. The Warner Brothers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

steinrokkan posted:

If Elon is such a genius, why doesn't he simply open one of these gates to a perfectly habitable planet you speak of, instead of terraforming Mars?

Well we don't live in the world The Expanse takes place in but if we did we'd need to find the alien goo that hijacks DNA to turn the people into a ring gate, likely leaving them conscious until the gate is destroyed and being unable to speak or see being driven made in a network or horrors that is the interconnected ring that was once thousands of people. It's really hosed up when you think about how that thing was made.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gasmask posted:

The war crimes of Yakko are not to be understated

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Musk would 100% infect himself with the protomolecule.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MrQwerty posted:

The electric shaver company guy?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Gasmask posted:

Don't forget the Warner sister, Dot

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Data Graham posted:

What all this is teaching me is that not only is our society not in fact bursting with superhuman geniuses on the cusp of stepping to the next plane of human existence and uplifting humanity to energy-being paradise, but in a country of 300 million and a world of 8 billion there is literally nobody who is even vaguely competent enough to write a proper app or run a country in good faith, let alone pull off 19-dimensional supervillain schemes like in cartoons

One of the few good observations that Scott Adams ever made before he went off the deep end is that we're a species of idiots living in a society designed by a few thousand amazingly smart deviants.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Azhais posted:

The war crimes of Yakko are not to be understated

The snacks Wakko packed away were expropriated from Jewish families.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

We're a species of idiots living in a society designed by a few thousand amazingly smart deviants.

This is literally the philosophical position that this entire thread is mocking Musk for occupying. Divest yourself of the cult of genius, modernity is the product of the totality of human society.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

One of the few good observations that Scott Adams ever made before he went off the deep end is that we're a species of idiots living in a society designed by a few thousand amazingly smart deviants.

this isn't a good observation, it's a lovely one that reinforces the myth that the people who "design society", in other words the power structure, got there by virtue of their intelligence rather than by virtue of personal connections to said power structure or possessing the associated traits. in reality society isn't "designed" by people who are any more amazingly smart than the people who are simply trying to survive.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gasmask posted:

The snacks Wakko packed away were expropriated from Jewish families.
And what did Bill Clinton do? He just stood there, playing a sax!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Agents are GO! posted:

lol what

it very clearly isn't

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

I feel like I was exposed to an inordinate amount of 1950's newsreels about the patriotic American rocket scientist, Warner von Brown.

And he always had a big poo poo eating grin on his face too. "Huh. I got away with it."

decades on this song still owns

Agents are GO! posted:

lol yeah I remember being 16 and in a bunch of AP classes too bud, don't worry it'll wear off

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Murdstone posted:

And what did Bill Clinton do? He just stood there, playing a sax!
I am now a Republican in light of these allegations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there are amazingly smart people who wash dishes for a living and there are absolute morons running divisions of massive corporations, in no sense is society "designed" by the smartest people nor does intelligence generally have much to do with who gets into a position of influence to shape any element of society

the idea that society is "mostly idiots except for a few special geniuses" is very common among people like adams and musk and also nerds who got really into that sword of truth fantasy series, but i think ultimately it comes from rand