Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

priznat posted:

I'd like to get a real basic model to try it out that is relatively pet friendly, perhaps something from eufy as they seem the cheapest while still being a decent brand.

Or maybe costco and return it if it doesn't work out.

We got a Lefant M210 for this purpose and while it's is very barebones in terms of features, it really was amazing how much of a difference it made. The first couple of days it ran it had to stop early because it filled up its little internal bin with all the pet hair embedded in our carpet that we didn't even realize was there. Before I never would have considered spending the crazy amounts for the self-emptying and mopping vacs but now I've got one on my wishlist, totally worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I think something that didn't quite click with me is even if robot vacuums on paper didn't look that good as far as cleaning it can more than make up for it in thoroughness and frequency where the deficiencies are quick and minor instead of dragging a giant vacuum out all the time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I reset my Google Nest Hub because it stopped appearing as a castable device. After setting it up again, it still isn't a casting destination and when I say "hey Google open YouTube" I get "sorry, I don't know where to play the video. Please tell me the exact name of the screen". But I want to see YouTube on the display, not cast to a TV or something. Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I reset my Google Nest Hub because it stopped appearing as a castable device. After setting it up again, it still isn't a casting destination and when I say "hey Google open YouTube" I get "sorry, I don't know where to play the video. Please tell me the exact name of the screen". But I want to see YouTube on the display, not cast to a TV or something. Any ideas?

Is it maybe part of a different "home"? Do you use google home? Do you see it there?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Is it maybe part of a different "home"? Do you use google home? Do you see it there?

Yes, it's visible in my Google Home, as the only device in there. When I go into the device settings I can set the default display, with itself selected, but this doesn't fix it. I can pull up YouTube using the touchscreen interface, but ideally I'd like to be able to cast to this thing again.

e: ok, whatever the gently caress i just did fixed casting. i'll take it

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 10, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yes, it's visible in my Google Home, as the only device in there. When I go into the device settings I can set the default display, with itself selected, but this doesn't fix it. I can pull up YouTube using the touchscreen interface, but ideally I'd like to be able to cast to this thing again.

e: ok, whatever the gently caress i just did fixed casting. i'll take it

Awesome, I hope to one day also have more than one display in my kitchen!

I asked awhile ago for recommendations for smart light switches and didn't really get any replies. Is the Lutron stuff really so much better that it's the only game in town? I have 4-5 switches I want to replace and I don't really want to pay $4-500!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

VelociBacon posted:

I asked awhile ago for recommendations for smart light switches and didn't really get any replies. Is the Lutron stuff really so much better that it's the only game in town? I have 4-5 switches I want to replace and I don't really want to pay $4-500!

I have a bunch of the Jasco/GE z-wave switches around my place, which I guess are sold as Embrighten now. Although if you have smart bulbs you probably want a scene controller instead so you don't cut the power to them when you hit the switch.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
What is the state of in-home presence detection at the moment? I don't have any practical reason to do this, but when I was a kid I always wanted lights that turn on as you enter a room and off when you exit it. Motion detectors that turn lights on when triggered have been a thing in schools and offices for decades, but they have the significant downside of turning off the lights if the person in the room is still for long enough.

My mesh wifi does a type of presence detection in that it "knows" that you're home when you connect to it and has a rough idea of where you are in the home based on which AP your phone is connected to, but I don't think that's granular or fast enough to be useful here.

I can think of a solution using motion sensors or lasers/beams installed near the entries to rooms (occupied when triggered once, unoccupied when triggered again) but that seems pretty messy and prone to error if a detector fails to trip or a pet sets it off. I also imagine that the signal travel time from sensor to Home Assistant to lights may result in noticeable delay, though that might be the case with any type of detector.

Is there some form of proximity detector that would be appropriate for this? I'm thinking something like keyring or earbud locators that could detect a smartwatch within a certain distance or otherwise determine when something is in a particular place with a decent level of granularity.

edit: after finding the magic search term ("localized presence detection") I see that HomeAssistant has an extension called RoomAssistant, that, when combined with BLE proximity sensors, would probably do the trick. Any recommendations for Bluetooth sensors?

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 11, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm using PIR sensors with ESPhome.

https://esphome.io/cookbook/pir.html

Haven't tried Bluetooth stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McPhearson posted:

I have a bunch of the Jasco/GE z-wave switches around my place, which I guess are sold as Embrighten now. Although if you have smart bulbs you probably want a scene controller instead so you don't cut the power to them when you hit the switch.

Thanks, yeah is that the term? I do want my bulbs to have power always so I can use Google home to turn them on or off etc. Appreciate the reply regardless.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
It looks like Lutron RA3 is now fully supported in HA 2022.11.1
Now I just need to afford swapping out my light switches

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

odiv posted:

I'm using PIR sensors with ESPhome.

https://esphome.io/cookbook/pir.html

Haven't tried Bluetooth stuff.

What are you using for logic? Did you write something or is there an existing plugin that handles rules for what to do when the detectors trigger?

Also, assuming you're using the detectors at doorways or thresholds, how do you handle two people entering a room or one leaving while the other stays?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I just have them in a room and have Home Assistant automations that run on a timer. I only have two right now though. They each turn a specific light on when they detect motion and the sun is down. Then they wait 3 minutes and if there is no further motion detected, they turn off. So yeah that doesn't work for your "still for long enough" thing, but if you increase the timer (or the sensitivity of the detector) then you can probably get it close enough.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

It looks like Lutron RA3 is now fully supported in HA 2022.11.1
Now I just need to afford swapping out my light switches

Wasn’t there a goon who was having trouble sourcing these? I think I looked and my normal supply house had them but not sure if I was missing something.

If someone is installing them I’d love a mini review or thoughts, I still have one floor left to smart-ify so now would be the time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Keep in mind that (at least on my Eufy indoor cam) if you add it to HomeKit, you lose a lot of the cooler features like higher resolution and the AI stuff (person tracking and crying notifications, in my case). Might want to double-check you don't lose that with whatever model you are looking at.

Have the Eufy Pan/Zoom and a couple of other models; I use them solely with the timphone app and the somewhat crappy beta web portal and keep the 2K resolution.

The motion tracking is kind of crap, for me it can't be trained to ignore rain and it often needs recalibration as it never wants to return exactly to its home position.

Its firmware just got an update, but it seems to be chiefly to include a notice to people that their streams in the cloud arent secure, which is a sore spot.

They are offering some fancy schmancy Edge AI that can identify individual people but only on their two newest battery driven cameras that cost north of $550 with the base station.

All their sub-$200 offerings remain exactly the same as they were a year ago

FWIW I have been getting better surveillance from the Wyze stuff, they don't have calibration wander as bad as the Eufys on their Pan/Zoom models, and the true 2.5K resolution on the Wyze Cam 3 Pro is perfect for my use (though I have a dedicated AP for my IoT poo poo.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 12, 2022

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why can't you have a device in multiple groups in Google Home? I want a light to be part of "family room" and "downstairs lights" for example.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, yeah is that the term? I do want my bulbs to have power always so I can use Google home to turn them on or off etc. Appreciate the reply regardless.

Govee has a smart button. If your lights are supported that might be the easiest way to go. Wire the switch to always on, use the button to turn the lights on or off.

Switches (including the Lutron Casetas) typically have internal relays that cut power to the load when switched off. If you get a smart switch just make sure the switch is on before messing with the bulb. Jasco has some cheap Wi-Fi switches.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of the Eufy cams, I just installed the floodlight pro and it's pretty neat. It really does the tracking pretty well from my initial tests.

I have it triggered by any motion so it captures all the doggies walking around and follows them, which rules.

I hosed up the install and used the wiring in the box that was on a switch instead of the hard wired ones so I will have to go back up to switch it sigh. That's always such an arm workout to screw something like that into a light box while balancing on a ladder.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t tell if this is a really stupid question, or perhaps whether I’ve finally become “old man doesn’t understand technology”.

I have a Next Learning Thermostat 2gen. Works just fine in the Nest app, but my Nest login is through Google (don’t have a Nest account). I want to add this to Google Home so I can give others control of thermostat, but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to add it.

If I just go through the “add device -> new devices” path, it asks me for a QR or six letter code. Presumably this is from newer Nest thermostats since mine has no such code.

If I go through the other “add device -> works with Google” path, search for Nest, it takes me to a nest login page but doesn’t give me the option to authenticate with Google, only a nest ID.

Ideally I could just add a person to the nest app, but in their infinite Wisdom Google has decided that I have to do it in the Google Home app instead.

So I guess I have no idea what, if anything I’m doing wrong, and I suppose the fallback is that a 2GEN learning Nest is just not something you can add to Google Home if you’ve migrated to a Google account already?

Google hasn’t come up with much, which is surprising because I haven’t even found anyone having the same problem so I’m starting to wonder if I’m just searching for the right things.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HomeAssistant folks help me out. I started with an Echo / Amazon home automation system with a Hue hub. Then I started switching over to HomeAssistant and now have some mix of the both and during the winter break wanted to get rid of all the Echo/Alexa devices in the house and run everything through HA.

I decided I wanted to just go ahead and blow up the current HA instance and start over from scratch. Is there a good more recent guide(s), tutorial etc or anything anyone likes for this?

Also current plan was to keep running it in a VM on my Unraid NAS in the house (it's been quite stable there for a while). I have a USB hub for Zigbee and Zwave devices and I have the Nabu Casa thing for remote access. Is there anything that I need to take special care to backup or anything before starting over from scratch? Or any other headaches I might be walking into that I haven't foreseen?

My automation stuff is entirely some Hue bulbs, a bunch of Honeywell (or clones) Z-Wave or Zigbee switches, smartplugs and a few zwave sensors for the garage door and some temp/humidity Aqara sensors in a plant greenhouse etc. 2 users, both on Iphones and I am going to repurpose an old tablet for an interface in the home. I only have a few simple automations, mostly just letting me know when stuff has been running for longer than x hours or if the garage door is open, turn off the lights at 10pm etc kind of deal. Nothing super crazy time intensive to rebuild imo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

I have a USB hub for Zigbee and Zwave devices and I have the Nabu Casa thing for remote access. Is there anything that I need to take special care to backup or anything before starting over from scratch?

I don't have any zigbee stuff, but I have flattened a coulple of HA instances to start over with the same zwave stick. You NEED to back up the zwave key if you don't want to re pair devices. Otherwise going to need to reset the stick and all devices. You might actually WANT to do that depending on what you have doing on, just be aware some devices are pretty terrible to get into "forget me now" mode or factory reset.

It's all manageable. You'll be fine either way, just various levels of time and frustration required.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Following up on my own Nest Learning thermo/Google Home integration post in case anyone else has the same issue.

Ultimately not sure what resolved it, but this morning I checked the Home app to see if it had magically synced and it still showed no Nest. Following some convoluted Reddit posts, I then created a second "Test" home in GH app, checked that it showed up in the Nest app as well, but didn't get anywhere so I ended up deleting the "Test" home in GH quickly. BUT to my surprise, once I deleted it, my default "Home" now contained my Nest thermo.

I hate when things just start working inexplicably, but in this case I'll take it to mean something forced a sync or cleared some cache that hadn't otherwise happened previously.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Motronic posted:

I don't have any zigbee stuff, but I have flattened a coulple of HA instances to start over with the same zwave stick. You NEED to back up the zwave key if you don't want to re pair devices. Otherwise going to need to reset the stick and all devices. You might actually WANT to do that depending on what you have doing on, just be aware some devices are pretty terrible to get into "forget me now" mode or factory reset.

It's all manageable. You'll be fine either way, just various levels of time and frustration required.

If I were to save the key and reinstall would it also list all the dead / missing devices when its done?

Some of my earliest switch installs got borked and I reinstalled them and I end up with a list of Zwave switches in devices and entities for HA that are always off / gone but crap up the list. It's not a huge deal but if they show back up I'll probably just start completely from scratch instead.

e: and thanks, your info is useful ie stuff that I might be walking into not knowing about ahead of time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

If I were to save the key and reinstall would it also list all the dead / missing devices when its done?

Some of my earliest switch installs got borked and I reinstalled them and I end up with a list of Zwave switches in devices and entities for HA that are always off / gone but crap up the list. It's not a huge deal but if they show back up I'll probably just start completely from scratch instead.

e: and thanks, your info is useful ie stuff that I might be walking into not knowing about ahead of time.

Yes it will! And this is why I chose to factory reset my zwave stick one of the times I flattened the instance.

The new zwavejs stuff seem to work so much better - I've been able to delete dead stuff where the old zwave stack just wouldn't. So it may or may not be worth it for you to reset.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
With Thread/Matter coming out, if we do not have any ZWave or Zigbee stuff, which standard would be the better one to go with? Looking at what we'd probably do it would be a handful of switches and maybe some outlets. Or just wait for Thread/Matter to get more out there and go with that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

calandryll posted:

With Thread/Matter coming out, if we do not have any ZWave or Zigbee stuff, which standard would be the better one to go with? Looking at what we'd probably do it would be a handful of switches and maybe some outlets. Or just wait for Thread/Matter to get more out there and go with that?

Buy what you want in what it's available in. Thread is brand new and the availability is going to be poo poo for quite some time. Zwave and zigbee both work 100% fine for everything they exist for (i.e. switches, sensors, thermostats). Things that will benefit from the speed and low latency of Thread will undoubtedly be made as such and likely not be the same things you see available in zwave/zigbee. Perhaps things like remote displays.

And perhaps at some point you will have as many switches/sensors/etc as Thread devices just because it's become ubiquitous. But it's not going to be soon and there is no compelling reason to rush to produce them that I'm aware of.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Buy what you want in what it's available in. Thread is brand new and the availability is going to be poo poo for quite some time. Zwave and zigbee both work 100% fine for everything they exist for (i.e. switches, sensors, thermostats). Things that will benefit from the speed and low latency of Thread will undoubtedly be made as such and likely not be the same things you see available in zwave/zigbee. Perhaps things like remote displays.

And perhaps at some point you will have as many switches/sensors/etc as Thread devices just because it's become ubiquitous. But it's not going to be soon and there is no compelling reason to rush to produce them that I'm aware of.

Yeah that's what I was thinking but wanted to double check before I start spending money.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Anecdotal, but I've always found Z-Wave more reliable. My Zigbee stuff regularly stopped working and needed to be re-added.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

azurite posted:

Anecdotal, but I've always found Z-Wave more reliable. My Zigbee stuff regularly stopped working and needed to be re-added.

Were they Aqara devices, by any chance?

All of my Zigbee stuff has been rock solid except my Aqara devices. All of them (three smart push buttons, two door sensors, and one temp/humidity sensor) have randomly dropped from the network and failed to re-join without manual intervention at least once. The temp sensor is particularly troublesome -- it drops off every month or so, and I have to completely delete and re-add the device to get it to show up in HA.

All of my other Zigbee devices (Lutron dimmers, Inno bulbs, a couple of random smart plugs) have worked flawlessly over a year and a half no with no issues at all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have the same issue. Aqara Zigbee door sensors. I’ve even put hard-wired and on all the time Zigbee devices in their rooms which has helped but they still drop off occasionally. Click on my posts and I wrote an HA script to at least send alerts to your phone when they fall off the network. Then I can go Add> double-tap. It’s dumb though.

Next house I’m running two wires to every door jamb and window.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

calandryll posted:

IN THEORY, zigbee stuff could be upgraded to thread if the manufacturer supports it, but that is a giant if.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

IN THEORY, zigbee stuff could be upgraded to thread if the manufacturer supports it, but that is a giant if.

Why? Just because they're running the same frequencies? There's got to be a lot more to it than that.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Does anybody have experience with smart garage door openers? As part of my rebuild the contractor put in a marantec synergy 270. There is an official wifi module I can add to it but from what I can tell you can only control it from their bespoke app. I'd like to avoid an additional app and control it from within google home, which this device appears to do: https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Control-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B07L5DPK8P The concept of the device bridging terminals to tell the opener to run seems simple enough, but I'm wondering if devices like this are finicky. No need for Amazon in-garage delivery access or whatever, just want an option for when I'm two miles down the road and anxiety starts asking if I really closed the garage door.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

Why? Just because they're running the same frequencies? There's got to be a lot more to it than that.
Not just the same frequencies but the same 802.15.4 physical and MAC layers. It's roughly analogous to an early network printer that only supported IPX/SPX adding TCP/IP. Hypothetically anything that does the higher layers in software should be upgradeable if the vendor cares to do it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Tremors posted:

Does anybody have experience with smart garage door openers? As part of my rebuild the contractor put in a marantec synergy 270. There is an official wifi module I can add to it but from what I can tell you can only control it from their bespoke app. I'd like to avoid an additional app and control it from within google home, which this device appears to do: https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Control-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B07L5DPK8P The concept of the device bridging terminals to tell the opener to run seems simple enough, but I'm wondering if devices like this are finicky. No need for Amazon in-garage delivery access or whatever, just want an option for when I'm two miles down the road and anxiety starts asking if I really closed the garage door.

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MKP14K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which looks to be the same base module, but has additional sensors you can run to the door to tell if it is open or closed (magnet attaches to wall and sensor on top of door has a magnet so it senses when they are close to each other). I installed it easily myself and have been using it for a few weeks so far with no issue. This has been in cold, snowy/icy weather which is usually the hardest on my outdoor electronics. I've been quite happy with it. It was definitely an upgrade over the myQ thing I had been using. I hate things that require separate apps to function (and that myQ one didn't even allow voice opening).

Being able to just tell Alexa to open my garage door and start my car (with spoken passcodes for each) is a godsend on cold mornings when I am rushing around getting me and the kids ready.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Tremors posted:

Not sure if you have a z-wave hub or not, but I have experience with the GoControl z-wave garage door opener. Installed it at a family member's house since they wanted something that worked with ADT Pulse. It has a box that shorts those two terminals (and also plays a pretty loud warning sound while doing it), and has a wireless sensor you attach to the garage door that lets the controller know whether the door is open or not. it's been working reliably for a few years now.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

azurite posted:

what is your zigbee controller thing? my zigbee is solid except for one aquara water sensor that needs to be smacked once every couple of months.

Gyshall posted:

What is everyone using for small ZigBee/z wave plugs in the us, specifically with energy monitoring?

Dont use sengled zigbee, the energy monitoring is a bit off, but it does act as a router

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 17, 2022

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I used a SmartThings (v2 hub) initially, then switched to HomeAssistant. I used various devices, such as GE bulbs, an OSRAM RGB strip, and a Zen thermostat. I only had the RGB strip left when I switched to HA though. It still had to be reset every so often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Has anyone had difficulty with getting their HA install on their local network?

Since starting winter break I wanted to update my home network with a new router and also blow up my old HA install and start fresh. The network seems to be working nicely but the new HA is being a real pain.

Setup: HA 9.4 running on a Linux VM on an Unraid NAS. (this was stable with an earlier HA version for over a year, I don't suspect any hardware issues as the cause. I have followed the same guide for setting this up that worked great previously).

Issue: When I install HA it initially points you to http://homeassistant.local:8123 to make the primary user account after a brief wait for setup. I can fill out the new user info and hit submit and then it hangs. At this point I can never access the server through the webGUI again. I have also tried to access it by VM-IP:8123 and for both the IP and the local address at http and https and none will ever connect. When I connect to the supervisor address http://homeassistant.local:4357/ I get this:

And logging in through VNC on the VM console I get this:

In windows CMD I can ping both homeassistant.local and the VM IP and get a reply.

Stuff I have tried:
Turning off all DNS related things (new setup is using Unbound with recursive DoT), old setup ran Pihole (and worked fine with HA on an earlier version in a VM). Ive tried both the new and old networks hardware, installing v9.4 of HA and then v9.3. I've tried too many DNS settings on the HA side, and on the router / firewall to remember at this point.

I've got a RasPi4 sitting around and am going to spin up a new HA Instance on it and see if I can get that working but ideally I'd rather run it on the VM on my NAS as I have been doing so that's not really my ideal solution if it works.

Any thoughts? This one has been frustrating for the past few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nevermind, I need to read what you've tried better.