Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

So the AS GPU, are 3rd party or Apple apps actually using those GPU cores for general purpose work like image processing? Not just synthetic performance but are real apps actually utilizing them? I don't even want to game on AS but are games even using them?

presumably the native apps are, yes

and the games that apple has made to work with AS, like the mommy giantess Resident Evil game, appear to use the GPU cores, yes. Performance appears to scale across the range of processors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

So the AS GPU, are 3rd party or Apple apps actually using those GPU cores for general purpose work like image processing? Not just synthetic performance but are real apps actually utilizing them? I don't even want to game on AS but are games even using them?

Absolutely. Metal is used widely across a ton of apps. In games it also is although often via MoltenVK not natively. The entire Adobe suite, Resolve, any 3D native app (Blender, Houdini), Affinity etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor's iphone was $200 less than my m2 air lol

i bought a new second gen SE from ebay for 150. still in original packaging, maybe it was stolen by a store employee

that one had a short lifespan, there is probably a lot of stock out there that need to just be sold/gotten rid of. its a good phone though

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

actionjackson posted:

yeah but ultrawide monitors look stupid

Ok Comboomer posted:

unironically this

They may look stupid to some, but they are awesome when it comes to productivity, and I will never look back, after having replaced all my monitors with ultrawides.

Edit:

Corb3t posted:

We're about to see a wave of ultrawide OLEDs hitting the monitor market for less than the price of a Studio Display.

And this genuinely excites me.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 13, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

that one had a short lifespan, there is probably a lot of stock out there that need to just be sold/gotten rid of. its a good phone though

it doesn't even seem to be hugely different from the SE 3rd gen, or at least the differences aren't relevant to me (but I barely use and also hate smartphones, literally had an iphone 6)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actionjackson posted:

it doesn't even seem to be hugely different from the SE 3rd gen, or at least the differences aren't relevant to me (but I barely use and also hate smartphones, literally had an iphone 6)

ya it really isn't that different. i upgraded from se 2 -> se 3 and the difference has been negligible.. except my battery was shot on my se 2 just from me keeping it on the charger throughout all pandemic lockdown days. oops

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

my neighbor's iphone was $200 less than my m2 air lol

i bought a new second gen SE from ebay for 150. still in original packaging, maybe it was stolen by a store employee

Cellular companies are throwing around $500-$1000 for old devices and most users don't plan on switching providers, so why not take advantage of the deals and get the nicer phone? For most people, the monthly price of a new device over the 2-3 years that they use it is negligible.

It's clear you have distinct use-cases with your devices, but the better camera and display are huge for most people.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Lord Bude posted:

Also having your screen too close isn’t good for you. If you can reach it with your fingers without leaning forward it’s too close.

Ok I take it back since I just got to the office and my 43" 4K display is just a hair further than arms length while sitting upright.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Corb3t posted:

Cellular companies are throwing around $500-$1000 for old devices and most users don't plan on switching providers, so why not take advantage of the deals and get the nicer phone? For most people, the monthly price of a new device over the 2-3 years that they use it is negligible.

It's clear you have distinct use-cases with your devices, but the better camera and display are huge for most people.

because it's insane to spend a thousand god drat dollars on a phone, when you consider how close that is to a brand new complete laptop

for me personally, if I have to pay in installments, I'm spending too much. and I don't want to be locked into a contract. I have a $12/month phone plan that I can use on any unlocked phone so why give that up

but I also think there's severe diminishing returns on this technology. it's not like when the original iphone came out and it was an enormous leap forward.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 13, 2022

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

actionjackson posted:

because it's insane to spend a thousand god drat dollars on a phone, when you consider how close that is to a brand new complete laptop

People use phones more than they do laptops. Plus they're not an overlapping use case.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

People use phones more than they do laptops. Plus they're not an overlapping use case.

i will mention part of this is my general hatred of smartphones and how they've taken over our lives. people just walking around like drones, staring at their phones, it's an enormous problem. i agree with tristan harris pretty much

is that really true though? I use my laptop 10+ hours a day (though I do WFH, but that's also true on weekends), I use my phone maybe an hour?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

actionjackson posted:

is that really true though? I use my laptop 10+ hours a day (though I do WFH, but that's also true on weekends), I use my phone maybe an hour?

Your use case is not common

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Your use case is not common

hmm i guess not

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-average-iPhone-user-spends-a-full-work-week-on-their-phone-a-new-report-claims.562797.0.html

quote:

The average estimate of phone use was 3 hours 42 minutes, but the average actual daily usage time is 5 hours 42 minutes. Most of that time was spent on social media, with an average of 1 hour 23 minutes, along with content consumption (e.g., YouTube or TikTok), web browsing, and online shopping.

Participants also underestimated how often they picked up their phones every day (40 times versus an actual average of 99 times). The study claims that about 20% of smartphone users (roughly one in five) use their phones eight hours a day or more.

jesus gently caress that's grim

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I shan't be posting my screen time page, that's for sure.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ugh this was always the best thread until that loving monitor dropped. I've had my Studio Display for...I don't know, 3 or 4 months...it's a very, very good monitor, definitely the best I've ever owned. I'm using it exclusively for work — 90% Illustrator, 10% Photoshop. It's the primary monitor for a 2018 MBP. No gaming. I only use the laptop display when I'm on the road.

Did I overpay for what I got? Probably. But we're talking about a $1600 purchase that is expected to last at least 5 years (for me), and almost certainly much longer. My company replaces its MBPs every five years, and they each cost more than this monitor. I expect the monitor to last longer than any of the computers.

I bought it to replace a 4K Samsung monitor that died. I don't really notice any difference between the two. I plugged the new monitor in, it worked immediately and changing what few settings I need to change is effortless. Plus, it's an Apple product, so I imagine the hardware is incredibly durable. It looks great next to my MBP. If — after 4 months of using this new monitor — I had the option of spending half the money and getting one of the other two(?) 5K 27" displays available, would I? No. I'm happy with what I got. Keep in mind I do graphic design for a living, so the monitor is terribly important.

I'm no fanboy. My business purchases are always judged by cost over time...printers, furniture, everything. In my opinion, the Studio Display is a slightly-too-expensive high-end monitor that charges a premium for looks and durability. Hey, just like my MacBook Pro! Usability and durability will always be priorities for any business; Apple has consistently provided both for me. It's just a really good monitor that costs noticeably more than the competition, but is noticeably better. Costs 50% more but is only 30% better? I'm fine with that for a 5-year investment.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

actionjackson posted:

i will mention part of this is my general hatred of smartphones and how they've taken over our lives. people just walking around like drones, staring at their phones, it's an enormous problem. i agree with tristan harris pretty much

Oh absolutely, as I sit on the bus for my hour long commute, I often catch myself on my phone and think “how much better would my life be if I spent this time staring off into space instead?”

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, you could be spending that time looking at the crispness of the Apple Studio Display instead!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm not sure if 'I use a desktop/laptop' more than my phone is a better case. Screen time is screen time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Baronash posted:

Oh absolutely, as I sit on the bus for my hour long commute, I often catch myself on my phone and think “how much better would my life be if I spent this time staring off into space instead?”

oh come the gently caress on, you know exactly what i'm talking about

or are you going to pretend smartphones aren't insanely addicting (and designed to be that way)

there are people in my own life that literally cannot interact with others without checking and staring at their phone constantly, like it's a bodily appendage. they can't even leave the house to go for a walk without it or they'd have a panic attack. I lost several YEARS of meaningful conversation with my father because of his phone addiction. he could literally not have a conversation with his own son without checking his phone over and over. and when he finally conquered it after i had told him so many times how much it hurt me, he kept reaching for where his phone usually was when talking to me.

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm not sure if 'I use a desktop/laptop' more than my phone is a better case. Screen time is screen time.

I mean depending on what you use it for. I have to use my computer for work so uh.

but looking at poo poo like social media is terrible no matter what device. though at least on your home computer you aren't a danger to others, like people texting while driving

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 13, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Phones rock. Eat dirt old man.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

American McGay posted:

Phones rock. Eat dirt old man.

phones have a lot of great uses, unfortunately there's ample evidence that the the most popular apps by far are purposely designed to be addictive as possible (for the purposes of profit generation of course, not your own benefit), as are notification systems. i'm not sure if you're actually disagreeing that because of this smartphone addiction is a huge problem or what

it's no surprise that the average usage time and number of pickups per day is what it is. for many people, if a phone notification goes off and they are not able to respond to it right away, they will start having an anxiety attack. the 60 minutes tristan harris video covers this pretty well, including a segment where they demonstrate how the brain reacts to a notification

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 13, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use my fancy overpriced MacBook Pro for work, which I love and feel far more productive and comfortable on than my iPhone, but lets be honest - I could probably do 95% of my job using the iOS version of most of the apps I use professionally. You're right, though - most users just use technology as social media consumption devices.

I even manage most of my eBay sales and shipping on iPhone while I'm watching trash tv or whatever. It's great.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
iPad gets the most use out of me, browsing the internet on a narrow phone screen is the pits

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I will say my mobile provider (xfinity) does have 400 off certain apple phones with a contract, but only if you are a new customer transferring from another provider. they sell my phone (2nd gen SE) for 350

i did notice that att will sell you the iphone 13 for 5/month for 36 months, so only 180, pretty cheap, though of course you have to pay for an unlimited plan (minimum price 65/month) and be stuck with it for 36 months as well.

Lincoln posted:

Ugh this was always the best thread until that loving monitor dropped. I've had my Studio Display for...I don't know, 3 or 4 months...it's a very, very good monitor, definitely the best I've ever owned. I'm using it exclusively for work — 90% Illustrator, 10% Photoshop. It's the primary monitor for a 2018 MBP. No gaming. I only use the laptop display when I'm on the road.

Did I overpay for what I got? Probably. But we're talking about a $1600 purchase that is expected to last at least 5 years (for me), and almost certainly much longer. My company replaces its MBPs every five years, and they each cost more than this monitor. I expect the monitor to last longer than any of the computers.

I bought it to replace a 4K Samsung monitor that died. I don't really notice any difference between the two. I plugged the new monitor in, it worked immediately and changing what few settings I need to change is effortless. Plus, it's an Apple product, so I imagine the hardware is incredibly durable. It looks great next to my MBP. If — after 4 months of using this new monitor — I had the option of spending half the money and getting one of the other two(?) 5K 27" displays available, would I? No. I'm happy with what I got. Keep in mind I do graphic design for a living, so the monitor is terribly important.

I'm no fanboy. My business purchases are always judged by cost over time...printers, furniture, everything. In my opinion, the Studio Display is a slightly-too-expensive high-end monitor that charges a premium for looks and durability. Hey, just like my MacBook Pro! Usability and durability will always be priorities for any business; Apple has consistently provided both for me. It's just a really good monitor that costs noticeably more than the competition, but is noticeably better. Costs 50% more but is only 30% better? I'm fine with that for a 5-year investment.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, as you said it's an investment, and if it's something that is valuable to you and you benefit from every day, that's not bad

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 13, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has anyone used the wool felt mousepads or deskpads like grovemade makes? not sure if the magic mouse will work well on them or not.

i mainly want something that actually looks nice, and is a bit more comfortable on my wrist than a hard destk surface.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

actionjackson posted:

has anyone used the wool felt mousepads or deskpads like grovemade makes? not sure if the magic mouse will work well on them or not.

i mainly want something that actually looks nice, and is a bit more comfortable on my wrist than a hard destk surface.

Want a mouse or mouse accessory that looks nice? Here you go: https://lunarartefacts.com/collections/mouse-pads

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Lincoln posted:

If you like it, who cares? That's all that matters. For a vast majority of users the price premium of the Studio Display over something like a 27" (or larger) 4k monitor with whatever other features are desired (e.g. color accuracy or high refresh rate, etc) isn't worth it, unless work is paying for it or they're absolutely loaded. Someone is going to chime in that 4k isn't the same and it can only be compared to 5k monitors due to pixel density or MacOS scaling issues, but that's missing the point: most people do not care enough about either of those things to make it worth the money. Yes, if you need (or at least are super sensitive to these sort of display specs) a 5k display it's a reasonable option, but again, the vast majority of users don't need a 5k monitor at that price.

I have a friend that does photography and videography professionally, but freelance (so work isn't paying for his equipment), and he's no where near the point revenue wise where he can justify the luxury of a Studio Display over an IPS with great color accuracy that's 1/2 the price (or less). It would be nice for him, but it isn't going to make his end products meaningfully better or finished faster. I have 20+ friends that do computer work all day on Macs, ranging from devs, BAs, customer management, HR/hiring to AV. I guarantee if I put a Studio Display next to a decent 4k 27" screen, while many of them would acknowledge that the Studio Display looked better, 0 of them would be willing to spend the extra money to work on one. Most people just don't care enough about display quality to justify that sort of expense over things like home payments (or saving for a home purchase), vacations/trips, investments, kids, hobbies, entertainment/food, etc when perfection functional, quality alternatives exist for a fraction of the cost. This is why the default response to the "is the Studio Display worth it" question is "no", but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it for some people and it also isn't an attack against people who do find it worth while.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Staring at small screen is bleak and grim. Staring at big screen is cool and good, however.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I lost several YEARS of meaningful conversation with my father because of his phone addiction. he could literally not have a conversation with his own son without checking his phone over and over. and when he finally conquered it after i had told him so many times how much it hurt me, he kept reaching for where his phone usually was when talking to me.

lmao

https://youtu.be/KUwjNBjqR-c

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Two Questions:

1. My 2018 MacBook Air bit the bullet, the Apple Store said the logic board and battery are done and wanted $450 for an out of warranty repair, I'm not investing that much money in a 2018 MacBook Air. The case is almost in perfect condition as well as the screen. Does it have any realistic part value that I can access easily? I'm not taking it apart and parting it out myself and I don't want to deal with someone claiming I described the condition wrong, but it seems like the display assembly with just one tiny nick in the top would have some value to someone that would be worth it for me not just to throw it in the trash.

2. I ordered the Amazon $800 MacBook M1 8GB 256GB to replace it. Is there any reason why I need to think of upgrading to the M2? My primary home computer is a M1 Mini 16GB 256GB and it meets all my needs. The only reason I am buying this laptop is personal use when traveling, taking it to work so my personal browsing/data/downloading is not on the work network off VPN and surfing when I am cooking in the kitchen. Maybe sometimes if I need to remote into work if we like lost power and I was working from home. No games, no video editing, just web browsing, YouTube, maybe some light photo editing, like, personal level, Office.

$250 isn't a budget issue for me, I just can see short of the new design/magsafe on why this would be worth $250 to me and frankly, the new screen design seems kind of annoying. Oh, webcam doesn't matter to me either, I have never used the webcam on my MacBook Air, there has always been better hardware choices.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kibner posted:

Want a mouse or mouse accessory that looks nice? Here you go: https://lunarartefacts.com/collections/mouse-pads

that's cool, the edge pad isn't available until february tho

i'll prob get the grovemade felt desk pad in small, the dark felt color should go with space gray well

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 14, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Two Questions:

1. My 2018 MacBook Air bit the bullet, the Apple Store said the logic board and battery are done and wanted $450 for an out of warranty repair, I'm not investing that much money in a 2018 MacBook Air. The case is almost in perfect condition as well as the screen. Does it have any realistic part value that I can access easily? I'm not taking it apart and parting it out myself and I don't want to deal with someone claiming I described the condition wrong, but it seems like the display assembly with just one tiny nick in the top would have some value to someone that would be worth it for me not just to throw it in the trash.

2. I ordered the Amazon $800 MacBook M1 8GB 256GB to replace it. Is there any reason why I need to think of upgrading to the M2? My primary home computer is a M1 Mini 16GB 256GB and it meets all my needs. The only reason I am buying this laptop is personal use when traveling, taking it to work so my personal browsing/data/downloading is not on the work network off VPN and surfing when I am cooking in the kitchen. Maybe sometimes if I need to remote into work if we like lost power and I was working from home. No games, no video editing, just web browsing, YouTube, maybe some light photo editing, like, personal level, Office.

$250 isn't a budget issue for me, I just can see short of the new design/magsafe on why this would be worth $250 to me and frankly, the new screen design seems kind of annoying. Oh, webcam doesn't matter to me either, I have never used the webcam on my MacBook Air, there has always been better hardware choices.

well you get an extra usb-c on the m2 which is nice. i like the webcam design because it leaves less empty space. did you check apple refurbished prices?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

actionjackson posted:

well you get an extra usb-c on the m2 which is nice. i like the webcam design because it leaves less empty space. did you check apple refurbished prices?

Yeah, actually more than a new one on Amazon at at Apple refurb $1,079 vs Amazon New $1049. But the price is slashed so deep on the M1 at new $799 vs $849 Apple refurb on what is technically a current machine, I'm really having a hard time talking myself into the M2 being worth $250 more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don't know how you can live and work with 256gb, but if you can then $799 is a heck of a good price for an M1 Air

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don't know how you can live and work with 256gb, but if you can then $799 is a heck of a good price for an M1 Air

3.6TB local NAS with 1.6TB free on a 1Gb/1Gb fiber connection synced to a 5TB Google Drive with a little more free storage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

3.6TB local NAS with 1.6TB free on a 1Gb/1Gb fiber connection synced to a 5TB Google Drive with a little more free storage.

Yeah I guess that works.

I have a buttload of creative apps so I end up eating like 200gb on the boot drive from the go before I store a single file/document/etc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah I guess that works.

I have a buttload of creative apps so I end up eating like 200gb on the boot drive from the go before I store a single file/document/etc.

My previous MacBook Air was 128GB, which was getting very tight but still workable.

I'm very much a right device for the task kind of person, we have an iPad Air, a 12.9" iPad Pro, the M1 Mac Mini, Xeon server for playing with server applications, also some random Window apps that I sometime want to run, that I haven't really gotten into as much as I told myself I was going to, we have lower power Windows computers on a couple of TVs for video conferencing.

With the fiber connection, since i don't do any real creative work, there is nothing that I can't really pull locally or remotely that isn't workable between all of our devices.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shaocaholica posted:

it’s not a third party gpu, it’s an apple designed GPU that is integrated into the SOC, kinda like what intel does (except unlike intel integrated GPUs it’s crazy good). Any game that you run on a Mac uses the AS GPU. Games designed for AS (like world of warcraft, or baldur’s gate 3, or the new resident evil) run better, but even games designed for intel Macs still get good performance. Hell you can get playable framerates in AAA games using crossover (basically the Mac equivalent to wine) or even running ARM Windows in a parallels VM (at which point you’ve got Window’s 11s built in X86 to arm emulation layer and the VM and it still gives playable fps).

In terms of raw performance the M1 Max Gpu falls just short of a gtx 3070 for reference; despite the entire CPU and GPU combined using under 100w of power. The CPU performance of the M1 Max is on par with.a 12900K.

For reference I play world of warcraft max settings at 5k resolution and I get rock solid 60fps.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

In terms of raw performance the M1 Max Gpu falls just short of a gtx 3070 for reference

*Laptop models, not a 3070 desktop card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
IIRC there were some GPU workloads/apps that weren't making full expected use out of the M1 Pro/Max GPU cores when those chips first launched. Haven't been following if this is still the case as it doesn't really affect my use cases, but I think Shaocaholica's concern was at least valid at some point.