Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Man's bank fried.

e: The 33 club is like the 27 club but for a whole lot of different religions and faiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here's a late night horror story for you.

One of the things I remember very very clearly during the brexit campaigning was that Cameron and Osborne were quietly pushing to have everyone's non pension state benefits paid in this new form of government crypto they had thought up. You would have had to apply for pound Stirling to be released for a specific item or you could spend this benefit coin via government approved shops from a list of vetted items.

That was the alternative to brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sunak I think was proposing a while ago of creating government backed crypto or something too, basically intervening to legitimize and stabilize the market.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's also the whole CBDC idea that started off by using crypto-type language but has distanced itself heavily from anything connected to cryptocoin or blockchain and is just Girobank on your phone now or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How is that any different from... normal money?

Like I already have digital currency valued at £1 per £1, it's called money.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 13, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The one useful idea that's come out of it is that it would be a guaranteed digital cash transfer system for sterling that's not dependent on a private platform. So like if I owe a friend a tenner or need to pay a roofer 50 or whatever I don't need to go to an ATM, they don't need to pay it into the bank, we don't need to exchange bank details to set up a payee on the banking app, we don't need to determine if we both have PayPal or Venmo or Zelle or whatever, and I'm not going to find myself paying 51.20 or them receiving 48.30 or whatever.

So it's (discussing) doing for digital payment what Girobank did for bank accounts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mebh posted:

Re: Cat chat.

They vary, massively. Just like people. They have mental health, anxiety, sadness, loneliness, happiness, joy, excitement etc. The whole range of emotions.

Yes they're not exactly smart, but they feel, and have emotions and memory. They'll miss you, but they'll also be fine most likely especially with someone checking in regularly to play and spend time with them.

I had one cat who never recovered from us travelling with her, and another that is only happy when travelling now!

I have two cats with separation anxiety who become entirely despondent when I leave or my partner does and start howling at each door and bathroom in the house to try to find me.

When one of my cats passed away, her partner didn't notice for a while... Then he started looking for her and it broke me. He'd climb into places he'd never been and start meowing inside the coat rack. He'd leave my office and then suddenly scamper back inside to her spot and look. He then started sleeping in her old spots and sleeping way more. You'd call it depression if they were human. I think he just knew something had changed and wanted it back.

When we got another cat we had her separated in the conservatory he SUDDENLY perked up, and was so excited. He started howling to be let in and the screech stop when he realised it wasn't her was just wrenchingly sad.

Yeah we anthropomorphise them, think they have thoughts they don't and prescribe motivations to them that they can't possibly hold... plus nearly nobody understands how to train them properly! But I've had cats my whole life and they're quite a lot deeper than most want to admit. All animals are, really.

Miss my Broshka =(

ah, you bastard, you've made me cry

I'm sure I've told this story before but when we first got our cat, she didn't really warm up to us at first. Then a few months afterwards, we went on holiday for a couple of weeks and left her at the cattery. As soon as we got back and brought her back home, she was all over us. She's been a lap cat ever since. I think the fact that, after a couple of homes that didn't work out, we were the ones who came back, that was what proved we were good 'uns to her.

E: Cat tax: this her

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 13, 2022

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Camrath posted:

So I got back the results of a sleep study I did in august (referred this time last year) and apparently I have ‘very severe’ sleep apnea- I stop breathing over 70 times an hour while sleeping. They’re fitting me with a cpap system asap (so probably next June at this rate..)- anyone got any input on how they are to wear, what sort of changes I should expect etc?

Friend has one and I've shared a room with him without noticing he was using it, so the sort of gentle darth vader noises it makes can't be too bad. He finds wearing it infinitely preferable to being woken up ten times a night by a sleep deprived partner yelling abuse about snoring.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is anyone (in Scotland, if that matters) able to point me in the right direction on what you do to get childcare benefits? The government sites just give me calculators telling me we're eligible but don't actually explain what happens.

Is it something a nursery just does automatically when you register with them?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Kin posted:

Is anyone (in Scotland, if that matters) able to point me in the right direction on what you do to get childcare benefits? The government sites just give me calculators telling me we're eligible but don't actually explain what happens.

Is it something a nursery just does automatically when you register with them?

Are you talking about free hours for a three year old, child tax credit or something else?

If it's the former I think it will happen automatically but not every private nursery takes free hours so do check if that's the case. Otherwise you have to apply through the UK government website. I don't remember it being too tough.

You can also register for a childcare account that will give you tax back for certain providers who are registered for the Government scheme. That might be England and Wales only I don't remember but is worth looking into.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think it's the latter (I've got a 1 year old).

The calculator said we get £2k a year to childcare costs, but that's separate to the child benefit we get I think.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

learnincurve posted:

You would have had to apply for pound Stirling to be released for a specific item or you could spend this benefit coin via government approved shops from a list of vetted items.
That sounds like a tory / new labour wet dream, being able to give welfare claimants money that they can literally only spend on an approved list of items.

Speaking of, we're getting there in terms of infrastructure - the missus tried to use a pre-paid Klarna card to split xmas present costs over 3 months, and one of the shops in question refused to accept klarna payments specifically for gift cards.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Kin posted:

I think it's the latter (I've got a 1 year old).

The calculator said we get £2k a year to childcare costs, but that's separate to the child benefit we get I think.

Is it this?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-free-childcare
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-tax-free-childcare

quote:

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every 3 months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year).

If you’ve already registered, you can sign in to your childcare account.

If you get Tax-Free Childcare, you’ll set up an online childcare account for your child. For every £8 you pay into this account, the government will pay in £2 to use to pay your provider.

You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if you’re eligible for both.

What you can use Tax-Free Childcare for
You can use it to pay for approved childcare, for example:

childminders, nurseries and nannies
after school clubs and play schemes
Your childcare provider must be signed up to the scheme before you can pay them and benefit from Tax-Free Childcare.

Check with your provider to see if they’re signed up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gift cards in general are rife with scams (and also are scams in general, you are exchanging money for money that runs out and can only be spent in specific shops) because they are basically untraceable. Lots of scammers will try and get people to send them amazon cards or steam cards, anything they can use to buy things to turn it back into real money.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That sounds like a tory / new labour wet dream, being able to give welfare claimants money that they can literally only spend on an approved list of items.
The real trick of such a system would be to retroactively punish people for buying something that was then later taken off the approved list.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of, we're getting there in terms of infrastructure - the missus tried to use a pre-paid Klarna card to split xmas present costs over 3 months, and one of the shops in question refused to accept klarna payments specifically for gift cards.
Clearly they don't want you to double up on scams, buying something that is by definition less valuable than the money you pay for it, with interests.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Depending on the format they’re very much traceable unless they’ve been paid for in actual cash, it’s usually just not worth the effort and/or the police don’t give enough of a gently caress to do anything about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Depending on the format they’re very much traceable unless they’ve been paid for in actual cash, it’s usually just not worth the effort and/or the police don’t give enough of a gently caress to do anything about it.

Oh yeah you could probably trace it but that's the issue, trying to coordinate that requires going through a bunch of hoops that nobody actually will do, and unlike banks there's nobody potentially watching the account for suspicious transactions. Once the card or code is with the scammer they can spend it freely and offload the goods.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Camrath posted:

So I got back the results of a sleep study I did in august (referred this time last year) and apparently I have ‘very severe’ sleep apnea- I stop breathing over 70 times an hour while sleeping. They’re fitting me with a cpap system asap (so probably next June at this rate..)- anyone got any input on how they are to wear, what sort of changes I should expect etc?

Darn. I don't actually know anything about sleep apnea but I remember hearing some rumours that some cases of it might fairly easy to mitigate, like by wearing some harness thingy which keeps a tennis ball on your back to end up with a better sleeping position. Well, if that doesn't help at least it might be a funny story to tell later

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if someone find a harness and tennis ball in your bed they ain't think it's for an illness imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Camrath posted:

The modern ones are dead quiet, my father in law has used one for as long as I’ve known my wife and he’s gone through a few, the older ones were practically just machine shop compressors that would be chugging away and you’d hear it from other rooms in the house.

His current one you can barely hear it in the same room.

If it’s one of the full mouth and nose mask jobs, get yourself a pack of microfibre cloths or whatever feels nicest against your skin and cut out a mouth and nose hole, then put that between the mask and your face. Apparently the rubber can be uncomfortable if not outright irritating to the skin and this is the secret pro-tip he picked up over the years to mitigate that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

if someone find a harness and tennis ball in your bed they ain't think it's for an illness imo
Mary Whitehouse thought those kinds of things were also an illness.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Speaking of cats and mental health:

This snuggly boi (Westley) just cost us $500CAD again today because he keeps having urinary problems. This time he was peeing blood. The vet finally managed to get a urine sample from him after failing the last couple of times we had to take him in, did the urinalysis and.... it's normal. No infection, no crystals (can be an issue) they think it's just down to stress.

He lives a very stress-free life, we think he just has anxiety, so we're putting him on Fluoxetine/Prozac to try and sort him out. Makes me a bit scared to go on holiday though - we haven't been away for a night since we got the cats 2 and a bit years ago but would like to get back to the UK at some point to see family, but I don't want Westley to get stressed out and sick when we're not there.

Poor little expensive anxious kitty.

But yeah, more generally, cats do definitely have personalities of their own and can react differently to things like loss. My parents had lots of cats over the years, usually in pairs of mother and child. When one would die or go missing, the other would have reactions ranging from nothing at all to seeming depressed and going out looking for them.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mourning Due posted:

Cat tax: her right now, curled up on our bed, where she likes to sleep if we're in it.

Your cat reminds me of my little one. She's an old lady really, just had her 16th birthday and can be a very vocal stress bunny a lot of the time especially as she's got older. But then she finds a comfy place to snuggle and can be so serene, just having her snoozing beside me on the cushion while I work is so calming, honestly one of the best things for my mental state in the day.

We don't leave her alone much any more, there's always someone in the house looking after her. But we used to have neighbours round if we were off for a week, she never got on with catteries so it wasn't worth stressing her out for our convenience. She used to shun us when we got back for all of an hour or two but she's just too soppy to persevere with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

And on the topic of feline mental health, we are convinced that Digby our Maine coon is autistic. He can’t seem to ‘speak’ cat, he adores repetitive actions (he was thwacking a cardboard flap for half an hour last night), he’s very emotionally ’extra’. I mean, it really is as if he’s my feline offspring- over bred, blond, autistic, super hairy, suffers from IBS…

One of my brothers uses a CPAP machine and said it's really made a difference to sleep quality so he's much less tired during the day (with the knock on effect that he's been able to eat more healthily because he isn't in constant need of dosing himself up with sugary stuff to stay awake).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Camrath posted:

And on the topic of feline mental health, we are convinced that Digby our Maine coon is autistic. He can’t seem to ‘speak’ cat, he adores repetitive actions (he was thwacking a cardboard flap for half an hour last night), he’s very emotionally ’extra’. I mean, it really is as if he’s my feline offspring- over bred, blond, autistic, super hairy, suffers from IBS…

My boyfriend uses a CPAP, he's a goon so I could get him to drop you a PM if you want

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I really miss Bow every day :( It's coming up to the 6 month anniversary of his crossing.

We had an amazing relationship. When I went to the cat shelter to look for a cat, I was looking for a middle aged or elderly cat. A quiet cat. A cat that was suitable for a cripple with CFS to live with. However Bow had other ideas. He was a 7 month old kitten, took one look at me, and screamed "I'LL HAVE THAT HUMAN. THAT ONE!" while eating mouthfuls of food and doing figures of eight around my legs while chewing. I didn't get a say in the matter.

I had him for 13 amazing years, and he was such a unique and amazing cat.

This is a pic of him balancing on top of the main scent bush used by the cat that controlled the North part of the estate (the Northern Siamese King), and doing a poo poo down the middle of it while giggling insanely. He started a major war that night. <3

Gurkhali
Apr 25, 2006
Oh Andy Johnson's Magic, he wears a magic hat.....

Camrath posted:

I have been using a CPAP for the last few years. While they are a pain to wear at first - you very quickly get used to it. The feeling of waking in the morning and actually feeling rested makes up for the slight discomfort for the first few weeks!

Best advice I have is when they are issuing the unit, try and get a heated humidifier (my NHS supplied unit has one, but I did have to ask for it) - without it the air is cold and dry and led to me waking due to a dry throat.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Camrath posted:

I may have said this before but honestly CPAP saved my life. Hopefully they'll give you a RESMED unit as they are fairly bulletproof. The big decision on comfort is between masks, I prefer nasal pillows rather than a full face mask, but by default they (IME) won't give you them unless you ask. The first few weeks after getting my machine felt like the most energy I'd ever had.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ is a cool utility to copy the data from your machine so you can see pretty graphs about your sleep quality from the data on the sd card without having to wait a year to have the sleep clinic in your trust download the data.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Tbh I’m really looking forwards to getting started with the machine- I wake up every morning after eight hours of sleep still knackered and find it really hard to get anything done at all during the mornings as a result. Luckily I work for myself and fudge isn’t exactly time sensitive as to when it gets made, but it really does get me down that most days I can’t even get going till lunch time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
That sounds exactly like me to be honest. Where/how did you get the tests done, it sounds like something I should be looking into also.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Camrath posted:

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Tbh I’m really looking forwards to getting started with the machine- I wake up every morning after eight hours of sleep still knackered and find it really hard to get anything done at all during the mornings as a result. Luckily I work for myself and fudge isn’t exactly time sensitive as to when it gets made, but it really does get me down that most days I can’t even get going till lunch time.

I got one a few months ago and it's been a lifechanger. Same situation as you, ~80 apneas per hour and never felt rested or refreshed on waking. Having the machine was an instant relief for me, felt clear-headed and like a different person overnight. Not everyone has the same results, some people can't get used to having something on their face, etc. Good luck, I hope you get some of the same relief I've had!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Oh we posting our cats now?

This is Lizzie. We got her when she was 1 years old, by which point she'd already had a litter of kittens and become homeless on the streets of East Grinstead, and been taken in by the rescue centre.

She chose to take early retirement, and since we adopted her 7 years ago spends moreorless 100% of her time either sleeping, or cuddling.

She has a cat flap and the entire world available to her outside, but she chooses to venture out only to do her business, or sit under a bush if it's hot.

She is the most affectionate and chilled creature ever, and we couldn't live without her.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Julio Cruz posted:

That sounds exactly like me to be honest. Where/how did you get the tests done, it sounds like something I should be looking into also.

The NHS allegedly does sleep studies (like it allegedly provides a lot of services these days :smith:) but it'd definitely be easier to do privately

It's, uh, not cheap

I am also in the 'wake up tired every day' party, permanent big eye bags, get sick all the time, etc. My partner says I kinda choke/randomly stop breathing for a few seconds in my sleep. I tried to get NHS help five or so years back but kept running into brick walls and no way could I afford to go private so I just kinda gave up

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Barry Foster posted:

I tried to get NHS help five or so years back but kept running into brick walls and no way could I afford to go private so I just kinda gave up

This sounds like efficiency savings in action. It's like a very effective filter - make it so loving difficult to get any help that only the truly desperate have the will to persist through the layers of loving bullshit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That reminds me, a few years ago two Ulster Rugby players (and two of their friends) were on trial for Rape and other sexual offences. Some of the most damning evidence was taken from a group WhatsApp conversation they were all a part of. (Even though they were acquitted, the stuff in the WhatsApp group was used to kick them out of the International Rugby team for "bringing the game into disrepute. ")

In the court case there was an extended legal argument about whether the jury could be told the name of the WhatsApp group (did the Probative Value of knowing the name of the group outweigh the prejudicial effect it would have on the jury.) In the end it was kept from the jury and just given a dry name like "the WhatsApp group."

But the groups actual name was To Rape and Pillage.

You couldn't make it up.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Theres probably threads on this website that we've posted in that, should the names be known in court, it would not look too clever so I can see why something like that might happen.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

I really miss Bow every day :( It's coming up to the 6 month anniversary of his crossing.

We had an amazing relationship. When I went to the cat shelter to look for a cat, I was looking for a middle aged or elderly cat. A quiet cat. A cat that was suitable for a cripple with CFS to live with. However Bow had other ideas. He was a 7 month old kitten, took one look at me, and screamed "I'LL HAVE THAT HUMAN. THAT ONE!" while eating mouthfuls of food and doing figures of eight around my legs while chewing. I didn't get a say in the matter.

I had him for 13 amazing years, and he was such a unique and amazing cat.

This is a pic of him balancing on top of the main scent bush used by the cat that controlled the North part of the estate (the Northern Siamese King), and doing a poo poo down the middle of it while giggling insanely. He started a major war that night. <3

:rip: catte

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We must not show the jury evidence lest it cause them to think the person is guilty.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobby Deluxe posted:

♫ I owe my soul to the government stooore... ♩

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres probably threads on this website that we've posted in that, should the names be known in court, it would not look too clever so I can see why something like that might happen.

Being part of a WhatsApp that bants about rape probably does speak to the mindset of the alleged rapist though. I don't really see the equivalence you're making there.

Maybe if WhatsApp had existed 20years ago in the age of ironic edgelords I wouldn't have objected to being in a pro-rape bants group, but now I would have a big fucken problem with that, and would have major suspicions about anyone who presented themselves that way