Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1600158619927863296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Glad I invested in MS Excel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Meta? What? What sort of numbers-that-don’t-mean-what-they-seem nonsense is that?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Subjunctive posted:

Meta? What? What sort of numbers-that-don’t-mean-what-they-seem nonsense is that?

https://twitter.com/CaseyDeckerTV/status/1600247127464349697

:thunk:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Glad I invested in MS Excel.

You fool! You're going to lose your sheet!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Incredible that someone chose to publish that when they had the alternative of destroying all evidence and moving to Ecuador under an assumed name.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

market "research" is literally less scientific than, and probably not as accurate as, reading entrails

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Subjunctive posted:

Incredible that someone chose to publish that when they had the alternative of destroying all evidence and moving to Ecuador under an assumed name.
the first option gets you paid, the second option gets you... well, a nice life in Ecuador, presumably, but you won't get paid large sums of money to publish stupid crap again!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Gaylord Hotels called, they were asking about your founder’s discount.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It came from Facebook:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

120-year-old practically unknown league is fastest growing brand, hmmm

Walton Simons posted:

It came from Facebook:

How do some of these guys have goals while not playing a match? Is there some sort of statistical thing that doesn't count a match if you didn't start?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Nope, the author just doesn't seem to think information on who played in the World Cup in 1954 exists. You can look up the exact lineup of third division domestic games from the fifties so it's just absurd.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Walton Simons posted:

It came from Facebook:

Matches played vs goals scored might make for an interesting scatter plot. I wouldn't add those two very different numbers together though as they are doing with the stacked bars.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Horrible stacking choice, when the interesting part is the ratios. But I also like the wording about the German guy winning the tournament in 2014. It sounds like he did it all alone.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

jjack229 posted:

Matches played vs goals scored might make for an interesting scatter plot. I wouldn't add those two very different numbers together though as they are doing with the stacked bars.

Yes, it's somewhat more interesting:

At least this one acknowledges that their data period starts in 1970 to avoid stupid things like 13 goals in 0 games.

Edit: kind of weird though that they highlighted Marquez and Schweinsteiger who played plenty but didn't score much... And not Cubilas or Gerd Müller who were prolific goalscorers.

Edit2: waaaaait... I guess they applied some sort of scattering to limit overlaps and make the scatterplot easier to read, but it feels wrong to see data points where there is no overlap but an offset is applied, as if Schweinsteiger really scored 1.8 goals...

Shazback has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Dec 8, 2022

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shazback posted:

Yes, it's somewhat more interesting:

At least this one acknowledges that their data period starts in 1970 to avoid stupid things like 13 goals in 0 games.

Why do they shift all the points so it looks like people scored 2.3 times in 4.7 appearances or whatever?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

dublish posted:

Why do they shift all the points so it looks like people scored 2.3 times in 4.7 appearances or whatever?

Substitutes? No idea about the goal spreading

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Substitutes? No idea about the goal spreading

It's jitter.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17547699/what-does-the-jitter-function-do-in-r

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Huh. Thanks!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

This totally makes sense for data that is rounded, but for data where the exact number is known and fractional goals are not possible? :psyduck:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's nice to see weights. I suspect that graph would look nicer if it had subtle grid markings at the integer values so you can see the explicit bins

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

drk posted:

This totally makes sense for data that is rounded, but for data where the exact number is known and fractional goals are not possible? :psyduck:

It's because otherwise a lot of the data points would be exactly on top of each other so you couldn't tell whether some circle represented a lot of players or just one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's because otherwise a lot of the data points would be exactly on top of each other so you couldn't tell whether some circle represented a lot of players or just one

you could change its size or use a heatmap

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Not really a chart, but enjoy this absolutely insane map of countries where a company distributes its product.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Elviscat posted:

Not really a chart, but enjoy this absolutely insane map of countries where a company distributes its product.

New Zealand is on the map at least, even if the distance to Australia is distorted.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I like the implication that these countries are just launching the product straight into the ocean.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I can't decide if I like Cuba being labeled "Guam" or Taiwan being in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brazil more.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For me it's the dot that's off the coast of Baja California connected to the dot that isn't even on the globe, and absolutely nothing else.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elviscat posted:

This image has fuckin layers of stupidity.

At first, I was marveling at the seeming mapping of a Mercator projection of the entire globe onto a quarter-sphere, but the more you look at it the more insane it becomes. First of all, why are there lines all over the place that don't seem connected to either words or places? There's a giant "M" over the whole thing for no reason, connecting empty spaces to one another.

The thicker lines at first seem to be labels connecting names to places, as they correctly identify Canada, United States, Mexico, and Chile. But then what's going on with Guam(?) pointing at Chad/Niger, or UK/Sweden(????) pointing at eastern Europe? Bahrain looks correct but the word Kuwait is randomly plastered over it. The line pointing to China seems to be labeled either Japan, Philippines, or Korea. And beyond all the lines, there's also random dots everywhere, but they don't seem to correspond with anything correctly. Which label is supposed to go with the dot on Ho Chi Minh City; Singapore??? Why does Panama seem to be on Hispaniola (or is THAT what "Guam" is)?? Is "Sweden" the dot on Finland? Is "UK" the dot on The Netherlands/Belgium area? Why are Taiwan and Malaysia hanging out near southern Africa?

Also, each landmass appears to, entirely independently, have a circular gradient, as if to simulate a light source. So all of Eurasia and Africa has one shine centered around Afghanistan, but Australia has its own shine, as does Madagascar, Greenland, the Americas, etc. It looks really, really dumb on the small islands, especially in Indonesia.

edit: i tried to reverse image search it; didn't find the source but did find another use of the same "projection"

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Dec 11, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DontMockMySmock posted:

another use of the same "projection"

Not quite.

Look at Alaska

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DontMockMySmock posted:

edit: i tried to reverse image search it; didn't find the source but did find another use of the same "projection"

i kinda like it, tbh. it's not useful, but it is neat. and isn't that the most important characteristic of any map since time immemorial?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It has the look of an image that started its life with everything laid out properly with a bunch of well made layers all in the right place, that was then it was saved and sent to someone else who opened it in another bit of software that made an attempt to read the file but just couldn't quite figure out the layers properly ending up in a jumbled mess. That person just shrugged and published it anyway.

Either that or someone just really sucks at making images and chucked it together in five minutes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's like when I take a bunch of photos to make a panorama but then hit the wrong buttons in the stitcher software

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I like the implication that these countries are just launching the product straight into the ocean.

Also presumably space. And the back half of the earth is terra incognita.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

redleader posted:

i kinda like it, tbh. it's not useful, but it is neat. and isn't that the most important characteristic of any map since time immemorial?

But where are the dragons??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://vimeo.com/779765286

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

As an American I am proud to donate my precious blood, tears, and piss to the Ukrainian cause.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Pppbbbttthhhhhh

Without any timeline this is just a graph I have to wait to fill up before I can visualize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Might be the biggest Armenian flag in the world.