Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Also if you care that much about Pioneer, it’s a really popular format on MTGO right now. Decks are cheap to rent and there’s lots of good competition. You also get to play with Oath of Nissa and Chain Veil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012
I'm not mad about it. I just think it's funny that, as part of the release hype, there is mention of a in-box.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TesseractMinotaur posted:

I'm not mad about it. I just think it's funny that, as part of the release hype, there is mention of a in-box.

when would be an appropriate time to mention the inbox?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So I just realized planar incision lets me flicker prototypes to their full power. It's pretty rad.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

If a player pays 1,000g or 200 gems to play a little event, I don't think it's too much to ask that the ICR reward be a rare or mythic, but that's just me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PhilippAchtel posted:

If a player pays 1,000g or 200 gems to play a little event, I don't think it's too much to ask that the ICR reward be a rare or mythic, but that's just me.

If you're talking about Jump-In, aren't you paying 1000g or 200 gems for two boosters worth of stuff? The ICR reward is a little treat for free, you should be thanking them for it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

If you're talking about Jump-In, aren't you paying 1000g or 200 gems for two boosters worth of stuff? The ICR reward is a little treat for free, you should be thanking them for it.

Do you keep the cards? If so, yeah, then I'm wrong, and any ICR is fine.

drat, I should have looked at what the rares were in the packs I chose. Oh well.

Edit: White has been very good in limited for me in this set, and I'm really enjoying Unearth in particular. Airlift Chaplain > Mill a Creature / Plains + something with Unearth that I can use later has been such good value for a 3-drop, and it's happened a lot. Second stand out card for me is Scrapwork Cohort. Trade, recast, load the board, maybe pump with a Paratrooper. It's been great.

I actually haven't played a dedicated mill or sacrifice deck, but sounds good in theory. I played a UB deck and it didn't quite get there for me.

Prototype owns too.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 13, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oooo, I like Jim's new STANDARD goblins deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUdKcY2gjI&hd=1

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just notice this in the explorer anthology announcement:

quote:

Bundle Available: December 13, 2022–March 7, 2023

Players will still be able to craft these cards using wildcards of the appropriate rarity after March 7, 2023.
Does that mean that players won't be able to craft Nyktos until March and have to buy the bundle if they want to use the card?
I don't think the older anthologies worked like that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

Does that mean that players won't be able to craft Nyktos until March and have to buy the bundle if they want to use the card?

I interpret that to mean, "even when they leave the store for purchase you will still be able to craft them." So I assume it will work the exact same way as normal.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Horace Kinch posted:

So I just realized planar incision lets me flicker prototypes to their full power. It's pretty rad.

I did the same thing, completely on accident, with channeling Touch the Spirit Realm and a rust golem. It was a cool surprise.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Captain Invictus posted:

Oooo, I like Jim's new STANDARD goblins deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nUdKcY2gjI&hd=1
Sticky Fingers, hmmmm? I'm listening

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

You still can craft the cards while the bundle is live. It just means that you'll still be able to obtain the cards once the bundle leaves the store.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Is there something I am missing in the interaction between Jace, wielder of mysteries and tainted pact?

OP used his +1 with a pact emptied library. Op has only cast pact this turn and has a treasure token and a key to the archive on board.

I'm reading the cards but it's not explaining the cards...

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

PleasantDirge posted:

Is there something I am missing in the interaction between Jace, wielder of mysteries and tainted pact?

OP used his +1 with a pact emptied library. Op has only cast pact this turn and has a treasure token and a key to the archive on board.

I'm assuming this won him the game due to Jace's static text? If your opponent didn't win the game there was some other stuff going on that you haven't mentioned.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PleasantDirge posted:

Can you describe what happened that you did not expect to happen, or what did not happen that you expected to happen?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PleasantDirge posted:

This should cause them to win the game unless I'm missing something, did it not?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

thespaceinvader posted:

This should cause them to win the game unless I'm missing something, did it not?

It's me, I'm the idiot!

Network42 posted:

Jace's static text?

Is the key :dumbbravo:

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 13, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Getting a bug where someone concedes game one, and the game just sits there without going to sideboarding.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Or perhaps the servers are just hosed more generally, that could be it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anybody know if buying the alchemy pack with 20 packs for the price of 15 gives progress for the golden packs?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
my first deck in this cube has field of the dead, scapeshift, and awaken the woods. love cube

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Feeling very tempted by the G1 Transformer sleeves even though I'd know that would get annoying very quickly.

What's the new hotness in Pioneer now that the anthology is in? Guessing people are going to try and make Mono G devotion a thing at the very least.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Never done cube. Any tips for cube? :greencube:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

fridge corn posted:

Never done cube. Any tips for cube? :greencube:

pick the good cards don't pick the bad ones

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
For realsies, AIUI Cube is much more like building a constructed deck than drafting traditionally is - you don't have anywhere near as much 'well I have to put in some filler creatures at this cost' as in most draft formats, and you expect the power level to be much more similar to constructed than traditional draft.

So yeah pick good cards not bad ones, but expect your cards to be WAY better than you would traditionally expect in draft.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

So yeah pick good cards not bad ones, but expect your cards to be WAY better than you would traditionally expect in draft.

Yep - you have to separate out "bomb" from "top pick" a bit more. You'll normally get a bunch of shots at "some big rare monster", so those can often wait. Meanwhile, stuff that's "less absolutely powerful card, but that fills a role" stuff (eg. fixing) normally has to move up your pick order a lot.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya the green nykthos deck does wacky things, it's fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is anyone else having issues logging in? I tried to open the client but it wouldn't connect, and their status screen says that everything is operational.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anyone else having issues logging in? I tried to open the client but it wouldn't connect, and their status screen says that everything is operational.

yep, same here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1602738361474912256

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

5,000 gold + 2 random card styles

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

The code will be, let's see... "WEGOTYOUBRO"

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I've been having a lot of fun as a new MTG player with one of the mono blue decks recommended to me earlier in the thread. Can I get some recommendations for a control deck that would be suitable for a beginner?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Almost certainly the wrong play versus a fires deck, but I am required to do this if they allow me to

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

For the event right now, the BU mirror match is hilarious. It's fully a question of who gets more Midnight Clocks on the field to wheel their hand.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Arena Cube is back baby!!! Perfect appetizer for Vintage Cube.

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Just made diamond with this Izzet deck. Kikijiki and micromancer are able to keep sheoldred and other big threats off the board long enough for the rest of the cards to win you the game. Lots of draw/discard and removal synergy here. I've played around with Lier and All-seeing arbiter but this is usually what I run with in BO1 or round 1 of a BO3. In theory consolidating the one offs into a full stack of one sorcery or another would be nice, but once you get rolling with card draw the variety of answers seems to be more effective. So far this month I've won like 75% of my games but I'm sure to run into a wall somewhere.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr_Companie fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 14, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think the mono-g ramp deck might be real. The only difference between the explorer version and the pioneer version is that the pioneer version gets to run Oath of Nissa and a couple non-green planeswalkers.

the explorer version just runs lovestruck beast and a Voracious Hydra and a random wincon creature of your choice. oh, and a Cascading Cateracts specifically for the Golos in the sideboard.

The deck can go extremely hard, and has some good stuff against Greasefang. You can grab a tormod's crypt to keep them off the combo long enough to land something like a statue, to keep them off the combo longer and don't forget that Karn shuts off activated abilities of artifacts, which includes Crew. Since Greasefang doesn't put on much pressure early (other than constantly threatening to combo), you can mulligan for ramp and Karn and then use your big guys (lovestruck beast, old growth troll, cavalier, nissa lands) to apply pressure while keeping them off their combo

Wolfwillow Haven can enable some dumb poo poo against decks that can kill your elves, most of them can't hit enchantments easily, so they ramp AND provide devotion until you can get trolls and cavaliers down, which is your midgame. Your endgame is either going wide with big creatures and storm the festival, or grabbing Karn and just tutoring for wincons like World Breaker or Cityscape Leveler

My first game against Keruga Fires, I had turn 1 elf, turn 2 haven, turn 3 haven + elf and Nykthos and my opponent got a Temporary Lockdown. Watch out for Temporary Lockdown, it hits non-creatures too. That 1 card can undo all your ramp.

with a good hand, your turn 3 can be something like turn 1 elf, turn 2 old growth troll, turn 3 Nykthos, pay 2, to activate Nykthos for 4, Storm the Festival.

Kiora can give you 2 activations on Nykthos, untap a creature to defend a planeswalker, untap a land with a Haven on it, or even untap a Sylex you got off Golos, letting you clear part of the board the turn you tutor for it, all while drawing you cards for playing creatures!

Heywire Mite is huge for this deck, a cheap, tutorable way to remove non-creature artifacts and enchantments? Yes please! Against Greasefang, if you have one of these in play and a single green mana open, you can snipe vehicles in response to crewing them, exiling them completely. Also gets rid of Leyline Binding, Fires, Temporary Lockdown, Enigmatic Incarnation, Fable of the Mirror Breaker, Witch's Oven, and various other sagas and artifacts. It's a very versatile card and I might go up to 3 in the sideboard if I see a lot of greasefang and side a couple into the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I just wanted to pop in and say that Werewolves is still a legit standard deck and there is a lot of fun decision making around how to quickly turn the game to night and keep it there until you can close out the game.

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/werewolves-825847

Lots of 1R removal to keep aggro decks in check. All the 2 mana werewolves to kick off day/night ASAP. Arlin to help with mono-black decks. Piper is very good against mono-blue. Unnatural Moonrise because night is that important. Arsonist is probably the best top end right now.