Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

New machine day!

Yay!

What is it? Do you have an enormously oversized forklift to offload it? We keep a beast in the back that can move our grinders, it usually takes us longer to start it than it does to move equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Makino U6, a bigger version of the Wire EDM we already have.

And no way are we moving that ourselves, we always hire riggers. It's like 12000 pounds and we'd be responsible if we dropped it or something. We do have some big boy fork trucks though

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Here it is parked next to its little brother.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was running my 7x14 Chinese mini lathe with my head up my rear end and had a crash which took a tooth away from one of the M1 Z80 gears that control the feed when the half nuts are engaged. I've checked McMaster, Little Machine Shop, and Grizzly and can't find a replacement. The closest thing I've found is this pair of 90(20)/80 gears that replace the existing 80(20)/80 gears. This will slow down the feed rate a bit, and I'm perfectly fine with that, but they cost $40. If I can find a direct replacement for $5 or so, I'd rather go that route.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1137&category=1

If I had a dividing head and a piece of round stock large enough, I might take a stab at making my own replacement gear, but I don't have those things. Another option I've considered that I do have the supplies for is using the non-broken gear to make a silicon mold and resin casting a replacement gear. I have some resin that is very imapact resistant, but I don't know how wear resistant it is.

All that aside, anybody know where I can get an M1 Z80, 7mm thick with a 12mm bore 3mm keyed shaft gear for cheap?

edit: I went ahead and ordered the gears from LMS. I'd still be interested in finding a source for cheap gears in case I break another one in the future.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 13, 2022

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm TIG welding a36 for the first time and getting lots of pitting and inclusions, more than I'm used to with other materials. Is this the name of the game with hot rolled or am I doing something wrong?

I'm brushing with a SS brush, acetone wipe down, gas flow is fine (2x cup size, not acting like it's not got enough or too much gas). Not back-purging but I'm doing T-shaped joints out of flat with a fillet on each side of the vertical leg. The second side is a little worse and looks like I'm getting scale/oxide build up after it gets hot from the first weld, which I've seen before with CRS but not to this degree.

Do I need to change my prep to include grinding or sanding off the millscale before welding?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You've got to grind the mill scale off. Flap wheel or one of those 3m stripper wheels if you're fancy.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

sharkytm posted:

You've got to grind the mill scale off. Flap wheel or one of those 3m stripper wheels if you're fancy.

Yeah the solution is this simple. Tig welding on mill scale sucks.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
recommendations for entry level knee mills? don't care if it's old or whatever

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got room and a way to move a full size one? Or willing to pay a rigger? Then used from an auction. They can be dirt cheap if you're patient, but expensive to move.

Would need budget and space constraints otherwise.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
reasonably confident i have room - i'm redoing my shed, but it's like 30x15, and most of my stuff is small enough i can work around it if i need to. i'm not worried about moving anything unless it's, like, in a dirt basement with untreated wood stairs or something.

makes or models that you'd recommend?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

reasonably confident i have room - i'm redoing my shed, but it's like 30x15, and most of my stuff is small enough i can work around it if i need to. i'm not worried about moving anything unless it's, like, in a dirt basement with untreated wood stairs or something.

I don't think you understand the size and weight of a full sized knee mill. What's being suggested here is something like a 3,000 lb Bridgeport that is going to need a 10x10 space depending on table size and what kind of parts you're milling.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

recommendations for entry level knee mills? don't care if it's old or whatever

Bridgeports are well regarded, you can still buy parts direct from Hardinge (but don't unless absolutely neccessary, it's $$$). I've also used Wells-Index knee mills (nice but expensive) as well as our Taiwanese Bridgeport knock off (JET) that is really a great machine. Deckel, Maho, Clausing, Cincinatti, are always great choices. A family member had a Grizzly lathe and mill and both were rough, the lathe was way worse than the mill, but it really makes the used market shine.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We've got 3 at work you can have cheap if you're near southern Ohio. With cnc boxes.

I think they're $5k each asking price. I can double check if you're interested.

They're prototraks. These with older controls.

https://www.southwesternindustries.com/products/knee-mills

Can also vouch for jet and clausings.

Also ohio area, https://www.thompsonauctioneers.com/

If you go auction they usually require you to use their riggers. Make sure to call them and get a quote before you bid. Usually purchased stuff has a very small window to be removed after the auction.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm not worried about moving anything

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

honda whisperer posted:

We've got 3 at work you can have cheap if you're near southern Ohio. With cnc boxes.

They're prototraks. These with older controls.

https://www.southwesternindustries.com/products/knee-mills

Can also vouch for jet and clausings.

Also ohio area, https://www.thompsonauctioneers.com/

If you go auction they usually require you to use their riggers. Make sure to call them and get a quote before you bid. Usually purchased stuff has a very small window to be removed after the auction.

:hmmyes:
I'm gonna be looking for this but in maybe 10 months from now. How often do these things go up for auction? I'm in the Detroit area, which I assume is a good place to buy old machine tools.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Rutibex posted:

I'm gonna be looking for this but in maybe 10 months from now. How often do these things go up for auction? I'm in the Detroit area, which I assume is a good place to buy old machine tools.

Find the local auction companies, I've seen them post on Craigslist. Also check if there's a state gov auction service, I see a lot of equipment from schools/tech colleges and Muni garages go up for sale on the Wisconsin one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

makes or models that you'd recommend?

Is your shed built on a concrete pad?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Constantly if you're in an area like Detroit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Is your shed built on a concrete pad?

it will be when I'm done, yes

i manage a tree farm/excavation company so when i say i'm not worried about moving something heavy it's not because i'm going to try to tip it into the back of a Tacoma, I'm just reasonably confident i have some combination of equipment available that will be able to get a reasonably accessible machine loaded onto a trailer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK excellent, yeah if you have adequate space, rigging and equipment, that's great. My take is to look out for a bridgeport because everyone knows them and parts are easier to come by, but I wouldn't eliminate other makers out of hand, it may take a bit of research to determine if any given random one has parts support but you can also maybe get a better deal on a brand with a bit less recognition?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i manage a tree farm/excavation company so when i say i'm not worried about moving something heavy it's not because i'm going to try to tip it into the back of a Tacoma, I'm just reasonably confident i have some combination of equipment available that will be able to get a reasonably accessible machine loaded onto a trailer

That's different then.

If you buy from an auction you will probably need riggers anyway to remove it and load it on your trailer at a minimum. They're not going to let you pack it out unless you are actually a rigging business with appropriate liability insurance.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah that'll work. What are you going to be making?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it will be when I'm done, yes

Good deal, you're way ahead of most people then. Apologies for assuming any less. Yoda will remain in place though, because moving those things frequently still sucks rear end even with good heavy equipment.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Flip the head over and stabilize it, center the ram, lock everything down, and fork pick it from the side under the ram with wood to protect it. That's how I moved my Bridgeport. Both onto and off the trailer. Thankfully the seller had a fork truck and so did I. If you're buying at auction, they'll require you to use their riggers and often list the prices. A low boy trailer makes it easier. For fine-tuning placement, a long pry bar and a couple of pieces of solid round bar help a lot.

You'll need 3-phase power or a converter unless it's been converted already. Most of the motors aren't VFD rated, just FYI.

There's a ton of good guides on how to buy a Bridgeport (or similar knee mill) online. Any machine with zerk fittings, make sure it's been oiled and not greased. If it's been greased, walk.

These folks sell pretty much everything you'll need: https://machinerypartsdepot.com/

Their YouTube videos are great too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

a rigging business with appropriate liability insurance.

I loving love riggers. We sold an old Devlieg that was just enormous, it had a rotary table from Pratt and Whitney that was big enough to clamp a car to. It also had an elevator that would travel up and down with the spindle. I dreaded moving it, but the riggers showed up with a forklift big enough to move a small city, worked some magic, and it was perfectly loaded onto a couple of semi trailers. Like, arrive at 8am, truck is pulling away by lunch time.

In contrast we sold an old beat up Cincinnati OD grinder on Craigslist to some rando for like $300. He asks us to load it, we are very clear that it is very, very, heavy. So he shows up with a Dodge Caravan (for the tooling) and a 6X8 trailer from Tractor Supply for the machine. We decline to load it on that trailer so he calls someone with a beat up mid 90's Powerstroke Ford pulling a flat bed. They rigged it with Walmart grade ratchet straps and bumbled down the road. No idea how they unloaded it, for all I know it's still on that trailer somewhere.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I have something I'm making that involves drilling holes in soft annealed copper tubing before bending and brazing it. Specifically, drilling 1/4" holes into 5/16" copper tubing.

I made some soft jaws for a doweling jig to hold the tubing in place without crushing it, but now I'm finding that when I drill into it, the drill will skate along the surface, then suddenly self-feed and warp the poo poo out of the tubing.

Is the problem the positive rake on the drill? Would a straight-flute drill do the trick? Or a drill bit made for plastic?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Try upping the rpm of the drill and lower pressure. If you're using a hand drill it can be tricky to not have that grabs and yanks thing happen.

Would smaller bit then a unibit work?

Anything that doesn't have a screw like flute shouldn't self feed.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Have you centre punched hole locations?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Is this a.. 3 axis (x,y,z) cnc machine for $5k? Like could you realistically CNC a custom head for a LS1 or whatever with something like this. Fusion 360 + billet aluminum + time = engine parts

I was under the impression that used these were like $20k used with computer control? That seems like a lot of precision steel for barely the scrap value?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I was under the impression that used these were like $20k used with computer control? That seems like a lot of precision steel for barely the scrap value?

It absolutely will be $20k by the time you get it home and functional unless you happen to be or own some of the poo poo you need to make this so.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

Is this a.. 3 axis (x,y,z) cnc machine for $5k? Like could you realistically CNC a custom head for a LS1 or whatever with something like this. Fusion 360 + billet aluminum + time = engine parts

I've been taking classes on these machines and I didn't know what an LS1 head looked like so I looked it up:

I almost fainted. Lol look at all those angles and stuff it would take a million years and 50 different setups if you wanted to turn chunks of aluminum into that. But maybe I'm just an idiot, that often happens

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 14, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I almost fainted. Lol look at all those angles and stuff it would take a million years and 50 different setups if you wanted to turn chunks of aluminum into that. But maybe I'm just an idiot, that often happens

What? No. Look at the finished faces. These are castings that get finished. Not billet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that design is optimized for being cast and then milling the precision bits. Presumably there would be a design that's optimized for 3 axis cnc

How much is a single CNC bit, like to mill that flat interface on the side of the head. I know there's basically an infinite variety of bits and quality

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

What? No. Look at the finished faces. These are castings that get finished. Not billet.

:doh:
I've been watching too many youtubes. I guess everything isn't made out of a solid cube of metal

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Yeah that design is optimized for being cast and then milling the precision bits. Presumably there would be a design that's optimized for 3 axis cnc

How much is a single CNC bit, like to mill that flat interface on the side of the head. I know there's basically an infinite variety of bits and quality

that is almost entirely a function of how long you want it to take and how much the time to stop the machine and replace worn tooling is worth to you. Something pedestrian like a 3/4" solid flute end mill, maybe $30-40 on the low end, something fancier like a indexable insert face mill that's wide enough to machine that whole surface in one pass you're looking at 6-1200 ish plus the inserts

only limit is the sky

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

McSpergin posted:

Have you centre punched hole locations?

I've tried it with and without center punching, no real difference. The soft jaws are routed to the profile of the tubing so it doesn't deform, which might also be preventing the center punch from forming a flat that the drill bit can bite into.

honda whisperer posted:

Try upping the rpm of the drill and lower pressure. If you're using a hand drill it can be tricky to not have that grabs and yanks thing happen.

Would smaller bit then a unibit work?

Anything that doesn't have a screw like flute shouldn't self feed.

Unfortunately I'm using a hand drill. I originally wanted to do this on the drill press, but I might need to bend before drilling, which would make the workpiece impossible to hold in the drill press vise. If this setup doesn't work out, I might try the drill press anyway.

A pilot + a step drill was my original plan, but the doweling jig limits me to using a single-diameter drill bit. If this straight-flute bit doesn't work out, I will probably take a step back and do this in a drill press.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

that is almost entirely a function of how long you want it to take and how much the time to stop the machine and replace worn tooling is worth to you. Something pedestrian like a 3/4" solid flute end mill, maybe $30-40 on the low end, something fancier like a indexable insert face mill that's wide enough to machine that whole surface in one pass you're looking at 6-1200 ish plus the inserts

only limit is the sky

How much uptime on a CNC mill is practical for a 24/7 shop? I used to work in a print shop (as in printing things on paper) and I heard once expected average uptime of the equipment was about 66%.

On that subject, we bought some huge printing press and they had to tear out the floor, dig out the dirt, and install a 6' thick concrete slab underneath to keep it stable. Are there similar requirements for larger machining equipment? I'm curious about EDM in particular. They are extremely high precision, but have very little rotational movement or vibration from what I have seen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

:doh:
I've been watching too many youtubes. I guess everything isn't made out of a solid cube of metal

Lol that would be hard mode. But I understand where you're coming from.

Just look at the finish. And look at the really flat polished faces. This is a casting designed for the least amount of surface grinder and absolute minimum milling.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Just 2 axis cnc. Z is manual. It can do auto feed in z for boring but not useful as 3 axis cnc.

They're about 30k new. It's creeping up too. That's why we're slowly unloading them. When I started here 10 years ago it was 60% mills like this, 10% full vmc, and the rest lathes grinders and jig grinders.

When you can buy a used hurco for 40-50k and a new knee mill for 30-35 you just keep buying hurcos and phasing out the older stuff.

Luckily the prototrak control and hurco control are close enough to make a pipeline from mill to cnc mill to full vmc not to bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I've been taking classes on these machines and I didn't know what an LS1 head looked like so I looked it up:

Once you're making enough it's all special machines that just have the motion and tooling to make that one part.

If you want to billet small production you use a 5 axis machine. That would make that head a 2 setup job.