Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Notable British organization the Irish Republican Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s at odds with… pretty much everything we’ve seen imo.

A Russia that could bear casualties without “any sort of influence on the Kremlin or internal situation of RF” would have gone for the brass ring.

I don't agree with a lot of what's there, I just put it up because it still makes some interesting points.

But the counter point to that in my opinion is that Russia is still in this war. All the losses and casualties didn't really force them to seek peace? They attempt to negotiate, but they aren't capitulating. Kremlin might seek peace on its terms, they just might not be the ones I would be thinking of.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

is Elon actually pro Putin in any sense? he does seem to shy away from China criticism since the CPC isn’t likely to take his poo poo if he mouths off to them but I don’t recall him doing anything pro Russia?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well yeah that’s kind of the frozen conflict slow drip thing where they don’t mind the cost of staying in the war but don’t want to pay the cost to win while not wanting to exit either. Which is pretty much how France was in Mali, the British in Northern Ireland, the US in Iraq and Afghanistan. Liberalization clearly took hold there.

The whole SMO concept placed them in a bind but now apparently Ukraine is obliging them in the one sort of battle overwhelmingly beneficial to Russia and detrimental to themselves.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I just don't think there's any sort of critical analysis of Russian strategy happening in public space.

You have Ukraine and western backers going "Russian army is a paper tiger, they already lost, might as well surrender now."

And from the Russian side it's "Everything is going exactly as planned."

So between that you have "wow things sure look bad for Ukraine, but I guess that's ok :shrug:"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok this gotta be just a straight grift

https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1602259889778221056

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

Request for airplane designers ITT:

Please make more swing wing bombers and strike planes like the F-111, Tornado, and Su-24. They are really cool and I like them a lot. I think it would be really fun to see them fly in the sky and do cool tricks. Maybe they could even have pretty colors like my crayons.

Don't forget the Tomcat, too

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Dec 14, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

swing wing AND a huge rear end. it had everything

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1602712897800519680

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
how are Russia going to offensive when no ammo or missile!?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Best Friends posted:

swing wing AND a huge rear end. it had everything

Big nose, too. And you know what they say about big noses...

... big radar dishes, just think of the AESA potential.

You could probably net a cool 30m on each set, and secure crazy maintenance rates

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Regarde Aduck posted:

also with half the manpower they probably need for one

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

I know not with what weapons WW3 will be fought, but I know ww4 will be fought with spears, baseball bats, and pipe-guns.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also with half the manpower they probably need for one

everyone makes mistakes

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Also with power armor

But it'll be Tesla armorX power armor, and your once-neighbors will stab you through the panel gaps, and then flee when you burst alight.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I can’t wait for the big Russian offensive which will move the front forward six feet only followed by the Ukrainians taking back 3000 miles for free lol.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

he is the greatest. the world spirit sitting in an armchair

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. This is definitely one of the major issues of our time, an ideological corruption so complete and total, its 'victims' don't even know they exist under ideology. Everything might be entirely logical and complete within their particular worldview, but they are so far removed from actual real life nothing they do and say makes any sense at all. this worldview is so popular and everpresent, any left-wing project can only succeed without it. As such, the goal of any effective left-wing egalitarian project should be to completely destabilise and delegitimize this kind of worldview, but I fear that might be a forlorn hope.

We could even call it demoralisation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

Also with power armor

But it'll be Tesla armorX power armor, and your once-neighbors will stab you through the panel gaps, and then flee when you burst alight.

The future armies of the western cyborged out cyberwarriors riding their mecha battle war laser bots equipped with the most advanced synthetic fusions of steel and brain matter, designed to last a hundred years through a nuclear winter, will grind to a halt because a subcontractor cheaped out on the molex plug specs so the whole charge bank goes down and every cyborged out cyberwarrior quietly dies while in hybernation sleep mode as the nuclear winter blows overhead.

One alone will survive and he will be known only as... Turrican.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

I can’t wait for the big Russian offensive which will move the front forward six feet only followed by the Ukrainians taking back 3000 miles for free lol.

🤣

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's really frustrating, especially as someone who has devoted his entire life to understanding Ukrainian geography and climate.

(It cannot be understood, and I strongly discourage anyone else from going down this path. It will ruin your life.)

im pretty sure they have great ski slopes because that was the main thing everyone did there in the first act of the noted jackie chan documentary police story four first strike

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

come for the ukraine stay for the australia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nikita Chibrin says he still remembers his fellow Russian soldiers running away after allegedly raping two Ukrainian women during their deployment northwest of Kyiv in March.

“I saw them run, then I learned they were rapists. They raped a mother and a daughter,” he said. Their commanders, Chibrin said, shrugged when finding out about the rapes. The alleged rapists were beaten, he says, but never fully punished for their crimes.

“They were never jailed. Just fired. Just like that: ‘Go!’ They were simply dismissed from the war. That’s it.”

Chibrin is a former soldier from the Russian city of Yakutsk who says he served in the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade, the notorious Russian military unit accused of committing war crimes during their offensive in Bucha, Borodianka and other towns and villages north of Kyiv.

He deserted from the Russian military in September and fled to Europe via Belarus and Kazakhstan.

Troops from Chibrin’s brigade were labeled war criminals by the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense in April after mass graves containing murdered civilians and dead bodies lying in the streets were discovered following the withdrawal of Russian forces from the Kyiv region.

Chibrin’s military documents, seen by CNN, show his commander was Azatbek Omurbekov, the officer in charge of the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade. Omurbekov, known as the “Butcher of Bucha” is under sanctions by the European Union and the United Kingdom. The United States have sanctioned the entire brigade.

The Kremlin has denied any involvement in the mass killings, while reiterating baseless claims that the images of civilian bodies were fake.

In a move that sparked outrage across the world, Russian President Vladimir Putin awarded the unit an honorary military title and praised it for its “heroism” and “bold actions.”

Chibrin said he didn’t see any of the supposed heroism, but many of the crimes.

Speaking to CNN in a European country where he has requested asylum, he detailed some of the crimes he says he witnessed and heard accounts of, and said he’d be prepared to testify against his unit at an international criminal court. He maintains he himself didn’t commit any crimes.

“I didn’t see murders but I saw rapists running away, being chased (by higher-ranking members of the unit) because they committed rape,” he said.

He also said that the unit had a “direct command to murder” anyone sharing information about the unit’s positions, whether military or civilians.

“If someone had a phone – we were allowed to shoot them,” he said. He claims there is little doubt some of the men in the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade were capable of killing unarmed civilians.

“There are maniacs who enjoy killing a man. Such maniacs turned up there,” he said.

Chibrin also described widespread looting, with Russian soldiers taking computers, jewelry and anything they liked.

“They didn’t hide this at all. A lot from my unit, when we left Lipovka and Andreevka in the end of March, they took cars, vehicles, they took civilian cars and sold them in Belarus,” he said. “The mentality is, if you steal something, you are good. If nobody catches you, good! If you see something that is expensive and you steal it and don’t get caught, you are good.”

As for the unit’s commanders, he said they were well aware of the alleged rapes and murders and of the looting, but took little interest in seeking justice.

“They reacted like: ‘Whatever. It happened. So what?’ Actually, there was no reaction,” he said. “Discipline goes [down the drain], there’s no discipline.”

CNN has asked the Russian Ministry of Defense for comment on the allegations, but has not received a response.

Chibrin has no doubt that Russia will eventually lose its war against Ukraine, but not until many more lives are lost.

“Because Russia won’t stop until big blood is spilled, until everyone dies. Soldiers are cannon fodder to them. They don’t respect them,” he said.

Having seen the fighting first hand, he said the equipment Russian soldiers have is no match for the weapons to which Ukraine has access. He says that while Ukraine is receiving some of the most advanced weaponry available from its Western allies, the Russian army is relying on Soviet-era equipment used during the war in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

“Of course Russia will lose. Because the whole world is supporting Ukraine. To think that they (the Russians) will win is stupid,” he said. “They thought they would occupy Kyiv in three days. What day is it now [of the war]? 260th? They thought they would come to Ukraine and be met with flowers. But they were told to f*** off and thrown Molotov cocktails at.”

Men in his unit were also extremely ill-prepared for combat, according to Chibrin. He said the training his unit received consisted of commanders giving them a weapon, a target and 5,000 bullets.

“Keep shooting and then you are free to go. No one was doing anything. There was no actual training. I worked with a computer, at the office, worked as a lawnmower…” he said.

The lack of training became obvious once in Ukraine. The same men who were boasting about being “like Rambo” before they were deployed came back broken, he said. “Those who said they’d be shooting Ukrainians easily, when they come back from the front lines … they could not even speak to me. They saw the war, they saw defeat, saw their [fellow] combatants being murdered, saw corpses. They realized – but they couldn’t run away.”

He said many of the men were poorly trained and most had no idea where they were headed.

“It was a big lie. It was a military training with the Belarusian army. And they lied to us. On February 24 they just said everyone will go to war,” Chibrin said, adding that he initially refused to go.

“The first thing I said was, ‘Commander, f*** you, I don’t want to go to the war’ and he said, ‘Hey you, you will have big problems, you will go to jail and your family will have big problems’ … and he attacked me and put me in a special vehicle and closed the door. And I couldn’t open [it] from inside. So, that’s how I went to Ukraine.”

Chibrin went on to spend months in Ukraine, on and off. When the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade withdrew at the end of March from the area northwest of Kyiv, following the failed offensive there, he and his unit returned to Belarus.

He said he was suffering from a back injury and went to a military hospital in Russia, but was forced to go back to Ukraine in May. This time he was sent to the Kharkiv region in eastern Ukraine, and then spent time in the forests around Izyum.

It was then that he finally found a chance to escape, he said. He noticed that commanders of other units were leaving the area for Russia in a truck and jumped in.

“I jump in [the bed of the truck] and I see, wow, other guys, also leaving Ukraine. And they say we don’t want to [fight the] war, we paid the commander money (to drive). And I am waiting and waiting and then we are near to the Russia border and the car is stopped and the guys are jumping off and I am also jumping off. And I go to the Russia border and I say I need the medical help,” he said.

Once back in Russia, Chibrin said he spent nearly a month in hospital, most of that being bedridden with terrible back pain. But he said he was unable to get proper treatment. “They said that if I wanted to go to a special sanatorium, I needed to sign a paper that said I’d go back to war,” he said.

Refusing to sign, Chibrin said he was getting ready to submit paperwork to get his military contract canceled when the Russian government announced a partial mobilization in September.

“And my friends told me I needed to hide. ‘You need to find place and hide, your contract will not be canceled because of the mobilization,” he said. Knowing he needed to get as far as possible from the far east city of Khabarovsk where he was stationed, Chibrin first fled across Russia to St. Petersburg and then took a train to Belarus. Once there he was able to find an intermediary who helped him get to Kazakhstan from where he ultimately traveled to his current location.

Now he is determined to speak up about the events he witnessed in Ukraine, even writing an anti-war song. “Hundreds of souls, hundreds of bodies of lost people. Hundreds of mothers without children,” the chorus goes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
please post more

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that's a lot to read with no sources or intent

war sure does suck i guess?

edit: oh its from a 'deserter' ok lol loving useless

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what do you mean no sources that one guy says its all true what more do you tankies want?!?!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's basically a more refined version of the 'intercepted' phone calls the Ukrainians put out once a month only more directly for western consumption so way more text and drama

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
"Hello Natasha my Russian wife, yes i also love rape, i shot dog and did the warcrimes very nice!!!"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If that guy was at Kharkiv then no wonder Ukrainians took it so easily.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Bad poo poo certainly went down at Bucha but I had a good laugh at "that was where they sent the meanest, cruelest psychopaths, the kind of people who love to murder......not me though, clerical error." And that he didnt see anything but he did see an officer chasing a guy around while yelling "Stop! He did a rape! Thats a rapist! He raped on my watch and oh boy am I going to give him a kick in the rear end!"

Real post-soviet grifter levels of anecdotes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Bad poo poo certainly went down at Bucha but I had a good laugh at "that was where they sent the meanest, cruelest psychopaths, the kind of people who love to murder......not me though, clerical error."

It's like how every tattooed nazi Russians pick up turns out to the cook.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I had a good laugh at "that was where they sent the meanest, cruelest psychopaths, the kind of people who love to murder......not me though, clerical error."

lmao

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I feel like that would have been a much more effective piece of propaganda if they stuck to the concept of a protest against the horrible sights that this guy witnessed instead of having him spew out all the Ukrainian talking points about how Ukrainians are better trained, equipped and genetically superior to Russians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
bad poo poo went down at bucha but i don't think it was because they sent the psycho murder squad that they seem to have for some reason? It was because soldiers are awful, in any army, and every time they are used is playing with fire. But that doesn't fit the western narrative which has to maintain the fiction of just wars, because the west will need to go gently caress somewhere up sometime and the people need to believe its good this time. When actually the more soldiers out there doing war things, its just a matter of time before warcrimes happen. If you win then it doesn't matter. If you're the hegemon you can lose and it still doesn't matter.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like to think someguyTT is typing each one of those articles on notepad before copy pasting them.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That they’re just running photos of Freeland with these stories now is kinda funny. Openly running foreign policy from the Deputy Prime Minister’s Officer to avenge losing WW2 is a good bit.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

lobster shirt posted:

i still wanna know if the eurofighter is good or not :mad:

I used to service and maintain the avionic systems on Eurofighters, my sqn went to Red Flag once where all the NATO members do air power wargames together. My day-to-day job did not have much to do with the actual combat performance of the plane but, from what I remember from the exercise reports of that time, although nothing can go toe-to-toe with an F22 in a straight fight, the Eurofighter has a quite advanced ECM suite, that on a fair few occasions they were able to co-ordinate and leverage this to gain the upper hand. I don't remember any details beyond that though, as groundcrew I was not really party to what made the ECM so good as it was all kept secret, I just swapped out components and replaced the refrigerant.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

That they’re just running photos of Freeland with these stories now is kinda funny. Openly running foreign policy from the Deputy Prime Minister’s Officer to avenge losing WW2 is a good bit.

love the Wholesome award.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Eurofighter has a reputation as a competent late 4th generation fighter, and yeah I heard its ECM suite is quite strong. The issue with the F-22 is just there aren't really that many still flying if even remotely near combat capable status, there has been a concerted effort to mangle it (along with the A-10 and the F-15EX) in favor of well...I think everyone knows what.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

if you're going to dump pages on us without a summary at least highlight the main points like graednko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

That's enough to build one moderate sized gas or coal power plant. Infrastructure, distribution network and fuel not included.