Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Apocron posted:

Will there be a Dominion 3rd edition with all these changes? Was thinking of buying it but maybe I'll wait if a bunch of errata is being released.

The errata aren't new things that would go into the sets that already have second editions, it's the changes that already went into the second editions and, for the convenience of the programmers handling the digital edition, changes that will go into the next printings of things that haven't been rereleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok, so Dominion 2nd Edition doesn’t have errata but if you buy expansions it’s better to see if there is a second edition and if not wait?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The changes will apparently be incorporated into the next print runs rather than an actual 2E.

I think Adventures and Empires are the sets most affected, since older sets are getting 2E and/or don't have the cards being changed and the more recent sets have been designed with the changes in mind.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I just noticed that Prince + Princess works again, thanks to killing while-in-play. (Originally, it worked because Prince put Princess in play).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Turns out the errata is still a work-in-progress, with some cards getting changed to "When you gain a card in your Buy phase" instead of just "when you gain a card".

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Another expansion announced, due November: https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-plunder/

2022 really is the Year of Dominion.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Hm, interesting theme. Sounds very interaction-focused.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Carpator Diei posted:

Hm, interesting theme. Sounds very interaction-focused.

Every set seems to be about 20% interactive cards with the later sets leaning toward more “non-attack interaction” than attacks. Would love a set that really ramped some of that up but DXVs whole design philosophy seems to be based around avoiding too much “politics” so we’ll see.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
OP should be back up to date -- box arts for the new second editions, secret history and BGG links for the same, FAQ updated, Update Packs updated.

Lemme know if I missed anything!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Another expansion announced, due November: https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-plunder/

2022 really is the Year of Dominion.

I kind of hope this gets delayed as much as Allies did since I've only used that a few times so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Complete Dominion Companion just got updated again -- complete up through Allies. I'm glad I /know/ Plunder is imminent so I don't spend $160 on a copy that is immediately obsoleted

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Donald X just announced the Plunder previews will be next week, 12th -16th December. You will be able to play with the previewed cards each day on dominion.games.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Donald X posted a teaser prior to the previews:

quote:

The teaser for Plunder is a Sporcle quiz of the card names in the set. Just type in your guesses, and see the correct ones appear, in a random order. The set is thematic! You will be able to guess some of these names.

In our experience, it's possible to hack Sporcle and spoil all the answers. Have the fun you want to have, that's my advice.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/LastFootnote2/b07243a0-8915-4ad1-878c-267239f7b7f8

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

H2Omelon posted:

Donald X posted a teaser prior to the previews:

I guessed two in a long series of guesses and gave up. I guess that was the fun I wanted to have.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Plunder previews day 1: Treasures and Events: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21530.msg823863#new

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
for people who hate clicking through

DXV posted:

I know what you're thinking. What this year needs is more Dominion. Well I'm here to satisfy that need. Starting with previews.

Plunder is a crazy huge set, with 40 kingdom cards and 30 landscapes. I'll be previewing a tenth of the set each day for 5 days, meaning at the end you'll have seen half of it (not counting Loot, whatever that is). The two central themes are Treasures and Durations; "Plunder" is the intersection of the sea and loot. Today, let's check out the Treasures theme.

Tools is just some new Treasure. There are a bunch and this is one of them. It gains copies of things in play, which plays into the Durations theme; a little preview of tomorrow's preview.

Pendant is a Treasure that cares about Treasures; why not have some of those. You will compare it to Bank, but it's really its own animal.

Mining Road is a non-Treasure that cares about Treasures. It makes one leap into play, which is bound to be handy. And gives you +Buy, so it's useful even if you're only gaining Treasures by buying them.

Finally Rope is a Treasure-Duration; there will be more of these to come! Like rope, it's versatile.

Wait, I need landscapes too. There are Events, let's start with 3 of those.

Bury puts a card on the bottom of your deck; I nailed the flavor there. You can bury a bunch of cards and set up some future turn. Or just draw a particular card a little faster than you might otherwise.

Maelstrom is a trasher, and maybe helps the other players, maybe attacks them.

Prepare is an exciting one. All your unusable cards - and any others you feel like saving - leap into play for you on your next turn.

As usual, previewed cards will be playable at dominion.games through the week. Tomorrow: Durations & Traits.[/url]

Having played a little with it, it's weird! A weird set! I've played a few games where I got lured in by the treasures and I think would have been better with playing it straight. Trying to get Mining road to work, things like that.
Bury requires some big brain deck tracking to get working. It's a rare case of bottom decking rather than top, so you really have to plan ahead. Rope is good, comparable with Supply. Tools feels trappish - if you can get a few tools in a solid turn with lots of draw then it's an incredibly powerful workshop - or you could just have a lousy hand w/ 2 copper and a tools.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The other big part of Plunder is Durations, so let's see some of those.

Siren is just some new Duration card. It's a little hard to get; someone has to get lured to their doom. There are some subtle combos for getting around that penalty; see if you can find them.

Stowaway is a Duration card that cares about Duration cards; yes today is just mirroring yesterday. They'll stow away on anything - a Merchant Ship, a Barge, even a Swamp Hag.

Swamp Shacks is a non-Duration card that cares about Duration cards. It doesn't call them out but you can see how they help it.

Finally Buried Treasure is a Treasure-Duration. It's the payload version of Den of Sin.

Plunder has a new kind of landscape, Traits. These modify a pile. They only modify a kingdom card pile (not e.g. Gold), and only Action and Treasure piles. Technically they don't "modify" the pile, they just refer to it somehow, but the pile will feel modified, take it from me. At the start of a game with a Trait, you randomly pick which eligibile pile is modified, and the Trait card can slide under the pile, leaving the text showing and the name on the sides. Hence the layout. Well man let's see some of these.

So. Pious. Maybe that shows up on uh Smithy. So this game, when you gain a Smithy, you also get to trash a card from your hand. Well that's bound to be handy.

Fawning means Province comes with a Fawning card. It's not optional, which is sometimes fun.

Shy lets you discard one copy of the Shy card at the start of your turn, for +2 Cards. It's pretty simple but still spices up almost anything.

Okay. If a Trait lands on a split pile, all the cards are affected; "a Pious card" means any card from the Pious pile. This can include Territory in the Clashes, even though normally Victory cards can't have Traits. And one way or another the rules will handle all the cases that can come up, so there.

Tomorrow: Loot

e: ways around Siren: an untrashable Fortress, exiling and then discarding it into your deck, and I think the stop moving rule means that if you top deck it with something like watchtower, it can't subsequently get up and trash itself.
I love the art for fawning.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 13, 2022

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Also, official release date is Monday 19th December, at least on the digital clients.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Buying Buried Treasure on turn 1 and turn 2: Good or no?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Jabor posted:

In super-general terms, treasures are weaker than action cards, duration cards are weaker than non-duration cards (because you can play a non-duration twice by the time you finish playing a duration). You can compare it to a few things in the space already that work out pretty badly. Merchant Ship is weak, Raider is super weak, that Event that plays a Gold at the start of your turn is really very weak indeed. But Raider and unnamed Event cost $6 and $7, and Merchant ship doesn't jump into play, gives you less money and no Buy. Starting out with +3 coin and +buy is a really nice starting point for building most things.
Is it better than Chapel and... let's say Governor? Probably not. Is it worth considering? I would say so.

I''m pretty sure this expansion was designed as a challenge to DXV to upset the high-level player's meta. He saw Freaky say "yellow is purple" in the discord once too often and built a whole expansion about it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

As with literally every Dominion card, the answer is "it depends." I think if the Buried Treasure is also Pious, well, I sure would do it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wow, Traits are really fascinating. It's a way to really lean into Donald X's principle that it's okay to have overpowered stuff (e.g. Chapel) as a way to change the parameters of the game. I haven't touched Dominion in a while but this is looking really tempting now.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Wow, Traits are really fascinating. It's a way to really lean into Donald X's principle that it's okay to have overpowered stuff (e.g. Chapel) as a way to change the parameters of the game. I haven't touched Dominion in a while but this is looking really tempting now.

With the possible exception of Nocturne, the last few expansions have been excellent. Events, Projects, Landmarks, Allies, and Traits are literal game-changers. Of them, I think allies (from...Allies) are the weakest though. What Traits do to kingdom piles, Landmarks do to the whole game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

homullus posted:

With the possible exception of Nocturne, the last few expansions have been excellent. Events, Projects, Landmarks, Allies, and Traits are literal game-changers. Of them, I think allies (from...Allies) are the weakest though. What Traits do to kingdom piles, Landmarks do to the whole game.

Ways are the other one, and they are cool in that they basically do what Traits do but to any Action card on the table, giving it an alternate ability to play in the circumstance that its core ability isn't great for that situation (e.g. you have several terminal draws and say Way of the Ox which is just "+2 actions"). Traits of course have the benefit/drawback of being tied to a specific card everyone needs to go after, and also being able to be assigned to Kingdom Treasures.

Agreed that Allies are kind of underwhelming in a lot of instances, particularly when the associated Liaison isn't worth buying for whatever the Ally in play is, or you get that one Liaison that gives everyone extra Favors to start but no way of getting more, combined with a higher costed Ally (like the one that costs 3 favors to curse everyone else) so it ends up just being a random game where everyone does this thing once and that's it.

I can see Traits potentially having that same drawback, where it could be randomly placed on a Kingdom card that it is not suitable for. Hopefully once we see more of them we get more of a flavor for some of the wackier things they can do.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

That's the thing, though: Traits also change the contours of the whole game. It feels like a particularly gutsy extension of the landscape cards, a defiant punctuation to Donald X's design philosophy.

EDIT: I tracked down the blurb on this that I was trying to remember:

Donald X posted:

You could just make cards that modify the rules. I considered it way back when; it's a thing I've done in many games. I didn't do it because Dominion has kingdom cards filling that rule; they change the rules plenty. Dominion doesn't need other rules-changing cards. I considered it again later and still didn't want them. But I do have Events and now Landmarks. Events can change the rules, but only via the Event-buying mechanism, which is like buying a card without the card; it felt like a reasonable extension. Landmarks can change the rules, but only in these  VP-making ways. While they are each a step towards just having randomizer cards that change the rules, they still both try hard to stay within limits, to only affect the game in a way best done via these mechanisms. In general the best way to change the rules in Dominion is still to have kingdom cards that do different things.

So in his view, Landmarks are less transformative than Traits.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 13, 2022

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

That's the thing, though: Traits also change the contours of the whole game. It feels like a particularly gutsy extension of the landscape cards, a defiant punctuation to Donald X's design philosophy.

EDIT: I tracked down the blurb on this that I was trying to remember:

So in his view, Landmarks are less transformative than Traits.

That quote predates Traits though, and IMO he would probably say very similar things about the limitation of Traits compared to Kingdom Cards, i.e. "it only changes the rules of one kingdom pile in a limited way".

Take Pious: it is potentially a powerful ability but only triggers on the purchase of whatever card Pious modifies. If it's not a card you want 5+ of there's a chance it doesn't get bought much if at all, or if it's attached to something like Expand or Forge from Prosperity which are both $7 trashers, it becomes both prohibitively expensive as well as a little redundant. In fact there's already an Event from Adventures called Plan that let's you do effectively the same thing, only with the added step of buying the Event but with the bonus of the player actively picking the card they want several of (or jumping to a new card if that pile runs out).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bury requires some big brain deck tracking to get working. It's a rare case of bottom decking rather than top, so you really have to plan ahead.

Is this . . . true? This sounds untrue. Since it's +1 Buy, any time you have one extra coin and nearly anything in discard, you get to see a card you want(-ish) sooner, even if it's just ensuring that you get a Copper rather than an Estate.

Edit: But sure, if you're trying to use it for Treasure Map or something, it's going to be only slightly less challenging than going without.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

homullus posted:

Is this . . . true? This sounds untrue. Since it's +1 Buy, any time you have one extra coin and nearly anything in discard, you get to see a card you want(-ish) sooner, even if it's just ensuring that you get a Copper rather than an Estate.

Edit: But sure, if you're trying to use it for Treasure Map or something, it's going to be only slightly less challenging than going without.

Yeah if you are trying to pull off some combo with like Wishing Well/Mystic or a mighty Herald chain it might take some thinking, but a lot of the times you are probably paying an extra 1 to get the good card you bought or played last turn into your cycle a little quicker.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I may have been adding villages to the village clump in the bottom of the deck, or smithies to the smithy heaps, or estates for the shephard which wasn't there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I thought about it some more, and I thnk Bury would be AMAZING with Treasure Map. Once two are in your discard, you can Bury both on the bottom of your deck on the same turn as long as you have two coins, right?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

This requires two treasure maps to be in your discard, which can be frustratingly hard to arrange. Way of the Turtle is the true TMap enabler.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What are we plundering, anyway? We're plundering loot. So the set has some.

Loot is a pile of 30 cards, with 15 unique ones at 2 copies each. You shuffle it before the game, put it face down, and when something says "gain a Loot," you take the top one. You also have to show us all what you got. You can't just buy Loot; it's not in the Supply. Something has to tell you to gain one.

Let's see all 15.

As you can see, your basic loot is a Gold with +Buy and some other bonus. But some have no +Buy, and a few aren't a Gold.

Some cards that use Loot:

Sack of Loot just gains a Loot, with no hurdles beyond getting the Sack. There you go: some Loot.

Pickaxe is a trasher, and makes Loot if you trash a good enough card. This Loot goes straight to your hand though.

Wealthy Village requires you to get a variety of Treasures in play in order to get your Loot; otherwise it's just a Village for $5.

And Jewelled Egg needs to be trashed to make a Loot.

For the rest of the week I'll have a mix of Events and Traits for the landscapes. Here are today's:

Of course Events could involve Loot. Peril sends someone to their certain death, but you do get the Loot they were after.

Prosper gets you a pile of Treasures, or maybe just a Loot and a Gold; it's up to you and the board.

Cheap is another Trait, simply making a pile cheaper. This happens after setup; it can't affect what ends up being a Young Witch's bane or whatever.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 14, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

From having played not much of it, I expect Loot to be disliked by a lot of people. A lot of top-decking randomness that can be really grating in a relatively short 2p game. I Peril away my Necropolis and get a Staff, they get a Prized Goat, gently caress you, I resign.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I crack open my Jewelled Egg and a Prized Goat came out. :raise: What exactly laid that egg?

Also, Doubloons is :perfect:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

From having played not much of it, I expect Loot to be disliked by a lot of people. A lot of top-decking randomness that can be really grating in a relatively short 2p game. I Peril away my Necropolis and get a Staff, they get a Prized Goat, gently caress you, I resign.

Yeah I can see that. Feels a lot like Boons/Curses fron Nocturne, which were random themselves and not particularly liked.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It should be said that the crowd I'm imagining all play too much Dominion, and have become blind to the high level of luck in the base game. I would guess a lot of people will enjoy the variance, and that there's a place for it in the game, on a philosophical level.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lmao at Prize Goat

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm already in love with this expansion

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Having played around a bit with it, filling your deck with turbo golds is a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Having played around a bit with it, filling your deck with turbo golds is a lot of fun.

Is there a "add more Plunder cards" option like there were in previous preview weeks I am missing or do you just need to add them in manually?