Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm admittedly bummed that Correa definitely won't be going in the hall as an Astro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

I'm admittedly bummed that Correa definitely won't be going in the hall as an Astro

None of the Astro cheaters are getting in.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

None of the Astro cheaters are getting in.

The writers will vote Beltran in eventually.

The irony is that the Yankees have already started his comeback.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 14, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

You’re assuming the Giants will be successful during the Correa years and eventually escape out from under LAD’s shadow at some point

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You’re assuming the Giants will be successful during the Correa years and eventually escape out from under LAD’s shadow at some point

If Correa is going to have HOF numbers the majority of them will come with him in a Giants uniform

He has 34.1 bWAR as an Astro

At best he goes in with a blank hat but by the time he retires people may think of him as a Giant

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Welcome, Carlos Correa, to permanent heel status

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

For Dodgers fans sure but I think people generally like the Giants

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Well, there is JV, if you tar all 2017 Astros with the same brush.

I'd bet on Altuve making it if he can produce during the back half of his career, and he's an absolute lock if he makes it to 3000 hits.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

For Dodgers fans sure but I think people generally like the Giants
Posting strictly for myself

Will be a nice two decade run of despising Giants shortstops above all

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Lol Astros

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1602892842585702400

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Well, there is JV, if you tar all 2017 Astros with the same brush.

I'd bet on Altuve making it if he can produce during the back half of his career, and he's an absolute lock if he makes it to 3000 hits.

Altuve’s probably a third or fourth year guy if he gets to 3000, yeah. He’d have been a first or second year guy regardless if 2017 hadn’t happened.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Uh, the Astros literally just won the World Series with a rookie shortstop who won the ALCS MVP and WS MVP. All signs point to him being a star in the league for years to come.

wtf are you on about "Lol Astros"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros have a policy of no more than five year deals apparently. That's eventually going to bite them in the rear end but for now it's working

e: worth mentioning that this policy has resulted in every one of their big free agents leaving so far unless they sign while still under team control for multiple more years and other than Abreu they've failed to attract any marquee free agents

I think the second biggest free agent signing behind him was Uncle Mike who while I love the guy isn't a needle mover. More of a complementary player on an already good team

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 14, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

DeepDickPizza posted:

it's so funny that the Cubs brought the Cubs Convention back just to introduce Cody Bellinger's trash rear end

Have they preemptively cancelled the Owners Q&A session yet? Either way unless Jed has some massive trades lined up to push up the window it's going to be loving brutal there, even with the self selection homerism.

In reality they'll most likely panic-sign Swanson to regress to the mean and a bunch of scraps to slapdick their way to 75 wins. #ThatsCub

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just realized Carlos Correa will be teammates with Joc Pederson - a Dodger on the 2017 team.

That will be a-spicy meatball!

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

My stupid theory is Steve Cohen knows that another SEC investigation is inevitable in the near future.

So he's going on a spending spree to get a ring before the hammer comes down. Even if he doesn't end up in Club Fed, the trial and fines will eat up the time and money he devotes to baseball.

So why not spend half a billion on a roster that cannot last long term. It's the white collar dork version of going on a coke bender the night before you go to prison.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

13 years lmfao

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kirios posted:

I just realized Carlos Correa will be teammates with Joc Pederson - a Dodger on the 2017 team.

That will be a-spicy meatball!

jocs got a ring for each hand since then I don't think he gives a poo poo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

jocs got a ring for each hand since then I don't think he gives a poo poo
Does he play fantasy football though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

poverty franchise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/fangraphs/status/1603027125421981696

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1602891690263584771

I'm actually ok with this "we tried" offer tbh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok, I may be forgetting, but the only big time free agent signing a long term deal in the AL was deGrom right? not counting judge since he stayed where he was.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Abreu ;)

Oh you said long term

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

zoux posted:

Ok, I may be forgetting, but the only big time free agent signing a long term deal in the AL was deGrom right? not counting judge since he stayed where he was.

so far yeah.

seems like all that's really changed is the Astros are a little worse and the Mariners a little better? Unless you think Zunino is going to give Cleveland's lineup a shot in the arm.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Congrats Correa and Giants, though 14 year deals are just bonkers to me. He's still relatively young but will still be well over 40 when that deal is over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe bawfuls won't agree but honestly Correa to SF is so good for baseball and for that rivalry. I literally can't conceive of a move that a rival could make that would piss off a fanbase more, every Correa AB in LA is going to be insane. There are children yet to be born who will boo Carlos Correa PAs in Dodger Stadium

https://twitter.com/kidagreen/status/1603044199234146305

They're gonna have to dig another cove to name after him when he's done

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 14, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think Swanson will basically be Jason Heyward and doesn't solve the problem of them having literally no bats in the lineup, but I want the Cubs to give him $250 million just to spend some fuckin money.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think it's awesome the FO isn't going after a name for the sake of spending so they can make Ohtani a Cub next off season. Very forward thinking, cool and good

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

maffew buildings posted:

I think it's awesome the FO isn't going after a name for the sake of spending so they can make Ohtani a Cub Mariner next off season. Very forward thinking, cool and good

I agree

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
baseball fans around the world are going to be incredibly mad when Shohei Ohtani signs with the Angels again and I cannot wait for it

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1602891690263584771

I'm actually ok with this "we tried" offer tbh.

They legitimately tried here, and though I think Correa is worth his contract, I knew the Twins were never going to go north of $300 million. The Twins still have money to spend, but I dunno that they're any more likely to go big money on pitching than they were to buy a premium position at $350 million. They simply don't believe in long term contracts for pitchers.

Gonna be interesting to see their pivot this year, I guess

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Johnny Bravo posted:

baseball fans around the world are going to be incredibly mad when Shohei Ohtani signs with the Angels again and I cannot wait for it

I'd be fine with it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think Swanson will basically be Jason Heyward and doesn't solve the problem of them having literally no bats in the lineup, but I want the Cubs to give him $250 million just to spend some fuckin money.

No thanks. If we want a defensive shortstop, we might as well stick with Nico. If they couldn't get Turner or Correa, just move on.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
My big thing with Correa beyond the obvious “he’ll be a very good 3b in 5 years” is he’s primarily a fastball hitter. As he ages and his bat speed/reaction time slows, he’s gonna look like 2022 Donaldson for the back half of that contract.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So is that it for big names (I guess maybe Rodon)? It seems like the process wrapped up really quickly compared to previous years.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rodon and Dansby are the last A-level free agents. Bunch of B and C left though.

Somewhat outdated but still a good view of who's left

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1601297448248479746?s=20&t=YmDgHPHbq9u26b6oQCfSYw

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 14, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

My big thing with Correa beyond the obvious “he’ll be a very good 3b in 5 years” is he’s primarily a fastball hitter. As he ages and his bat speed/reaction time slows, he’s gonna look like 2022 Donaldson for the back half of that contract.

Correa 5 years from now "throw your fastball bitch"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Right Field: Deeply cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cubs please sign Nelson Cruz