Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

njsykora posted:

Wii emulation especially benefits from disabling CPU cores using something like Powertools. Retro Game Corps showed it off in his last Steam Deck emulation showcase, Mario Galaxy runs super bad at default but when you drop down to 3 active CPU cores it runs perfectly. I didn't have to do anything special for Wii U, Twilight Princess HD and Breath of the Wild both run perfectly fine without any tweaks. Though make sure the controller in Cemu is set as the Pro Controller and not the Gamepad or it makes menus not show on the screen.

Is that change system wide or only for the game specifically? I'd hate to have to keep changing active CPU cores everytime I switch games.

Edit: nevermind, found the persistent setting in powertools. Dropping to 3 threads definitely worked, thanks!

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

installing decky loader, konsole wants me to set password, but konsole won't take input from my bluetooth keyboard. how come?

Linux nerds are paranoid that someone watching over your shoulder could see how many characters your password was so when you’re inputting it the cursor doesn’t move.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thx. well the installer installed but didn't do anything. decky loader says uninstall anything that uses prt 8080 or 1337. idk if that's my problem

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Lost my sense of smell and with it the Deck's sweet fragrance... :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vichan posted:

If you get some more Decks to huff, maybe you can hit that same high as before

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mescal posted:

Thx. well the installer installed but didn't do anything. decky loader says uninstall anything that uses prt 8080 or 1337. idk if that's my problem

Are you running the beta or preview branch of steamOS?

They had an issue before where the loader doesn’t play nicely on anything but the stable branch.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Crisis Core is solid as hell so far. The Deck is going to be a treat for going through 300 bite-sized missions if you are looking to complete everything.

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Mescal posted:

installing decky loader, konsole wants me to set password, but konsole won't take input from my bluetooth keyboard. how come?

njsykora posted:

Konsole will, but it doesn't show the characters being typed when you're entering a password for security reasons.

Yeah, not showing typed characters in sudo password prompts is kinda typical. Some more user friendly distributions like Pop!_OS enable it again because it tends to throw people off. Arch (the distro SteamOS is based on) is not one of those distros.

ottergauze fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 13, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are you running the beta or preview branch of steamOS?

They had an issue before where the loader doesn’t play nicely on anything but the stable branch.

no i'm on stable

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So to be sure I do not need to do any jail breaking or any other dark rituals in order to install emulators, right?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Nope, it's a Linux computer baby. poo poo, they're in the OS' app store.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
another retroarch sd card question - i got retroarch to see my card but every time I reboot my steamdeck it forgets and it won't see it again until I boot to desktop mode and manually open the sd card folders then switch back to game/library mode. i saw someone say this was a known issue in a tutorial vid but the "solution" was just doing the desktop mode shuffle every single time and surely that isn't the actual fix. has anyone bumped into this before?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I beat all of Astlibra, I did all of it. It’s a great steam deck game and I’m glad I played it, but Jesus Christ alive is getting all of the achievements a real pain in the rear end.

I still highly recommend people play it, but some tips if you decide to play it:

-Play it on at least hard because that’s the only “missable” achievement in the game, since you can’t raise the difficulty and there’s no NG+ (not like this game needs it anyways considering how much post-game content there is).

-On the other hand literally nothing else is missable so don’t worry about it, although I’d recommend playing with a treasure guide just because so much of the game is pixel hunting.

-The puzzles can devolve into Byzantine nonsense and there’s no real good way to guide you through them because sometimes the puzzle answers will be completely nonsensical, sometimes they’ll be completely obvious but the quest trigger hasn’t come up yet so you’ll have to talk to a completely unrelated person on a different screen until the game lets you proceed, and sometimes it’ll be using an item in your inventory despite the game sometimes straight up just prompting you to use quest items/puzzle solutions. There’s no real help I can give here, this is honestly the weakest and worst part of the game, and there were numerous times I assumed I had somehow softlocked or ran into a bug when it turned out I just didn’t talk to someone fifteen screens away or figured out which of the ten thousand loving items in my inventory was supposed to use. It’s a loving mess. Basically though afaik the game doesn’t have any quest bugs or soft lock issues so if you can’t proceed try to talk to everyone again and also start using items in your inventory randomly. Also sometimes the pause screen helps because it’ll at least direct you to what your immediate goal is, and that can sometimes help.

-If you’re going after 100% items then you have to reseal all the scrolls you find because they’re considered separate items, luckily you can just continuously synthesize with one seal and disassemble over and over so you only need one seal technically. Also all the water-filled jars are considered separate items so make sure you fill at least one of each type of empty jar (there are three). Also, the love interest gives you a weapon on completing her side quest in the postgame and mastering that weapon also gives an item so make sure you do that. You need to give her 12 of the love items in order to max out her bar, and you can get duplicates by questing with your little buddies in the randomly generated dungeon in the post-post-postgame, two per buddy. Then you can get the remaining two from the chests that drop from the duo bosses at the end of each floor.

-The game basically always gets harder and always has another challenge so don’t think you’ve levelled off or out levelled the content or turned it into a stomp, basically until maybe the final like hour of the game or so it never really stops throwing a new difficult challenge at you to gear check you or check your stats or level or all three, so go after making broken builds constantly because the game anticipates that you will do that. That being said the final final final weapon from the aforementioned love interest is probs the most “broken” weapon in the game, so if you’re going after an endgame stomp build go after a magic-focused build with Sage and Druid equipped while maxing out your magic stat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
I hope that Witcher 3 update doesn't gently caress up how perfect it performs on Steam Deck. Really looking forward to using cross save to bounce between deck and PS5.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Lexar 1 TB microSD card for $100, with $10 back in credit with the Amazon CC. It's a U3/V3, A2 card, the latter being notable, if you have a host that supports it, for a higher minimum IOPS rating. I don't think we ever found out if the Dreck supports A2 class cards, but at the very least this is a good price on such cards if you actually have a specific need for one.

Vichan posted:

Your only recourse is to start the RMA process. :(

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Or test yourself for COVID.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Atomizer posted:

Your only recourse is to start the RMA process. :(
On your nose. Somebody try that and tell me how it works, because I've been needing to do one of those my whole life.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Marx Headroom posted:

Currently playing Armored Core 4 through RPCS3 on this thing. What a time to be alive.

Well, seeing this post made me go "hey I should get the Armored Core games running on the Deck" and I installed PCSX2 and then launched SSX Tricky to test it out and then spent 2 hours playing it because it's such a great game, why have they not remastered it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

veni veni veni posted:

I hope that Witcher 3 update doesn't gently caress up how perfect it performs on Steam Deck. Really looking forward to using cross save to bounce between deck and PS5.

Oh right I guess I could do that. Seems like a weird way to play Witcher 3 though- will the graphical remaster even be noticeable on the screen?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New camera settings anyway

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m not sure if the graphical improvements will be visible or worthwhile, but supposedly there’s a lot of QOL enhancements and they totally reworked the camera.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds like the update doesn’t play well with Deck yet

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It should be fine if you open the launcher and set it to use dx11 instead of dx12, which apparently doesn’t play nice with Proton yet.

FSR isn’t supported in DX11 and the performance takes a pretty big hit to where you’ll be looking at medium/low settings to get close to stable 40fps with the update though. Sounds generally like a pass for the deck until/unless it gets some patching or Proton supports dx12. You can use the Betas tab in Steam to roll back to the classic version/keep it from updating.

You should also be able to use the launch options to set —launcher-skip to bypass the dumb new launcher CDPR stuck in there just like Cyberpunk.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Speaking of dumb launchers, I'm trying to get a modded Skyrim setup running on my Deck and I think the weird frame rate hitches and audio desync might be related to the settings the game set on first launch, like the resolution is set too high or something. The problem is that you can't change graphics settings in game and the process to set up the modding tools makes it so I can't open the launcher - attempting to launch Skyrim from anything other than SKSE in MO2 launches MO2. Is there an ini file somewhere I can launch to at least check these settings?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking of dumb launchers, I'm trying to get a modded Skyrim setup running on my Deck and I think the weird frame rate hitches and audio desync might be related to the settings the game set on first launch, like the resolution is set too high or something. The problem is that you can't change graphics settings in game and the process to set up the modding tools makes it so I can't open the launcher - attempting to launch Skyrim from anything other than SKSE in MO2 launches MO2. Is there an ini file somewhere I can launch to at least check these settings?

I got around this by going into desktop mode, clicking on Skyrim and selecting browse local files, then launching the Skyrim launcher from its exe rather than Steam.

This bypassed MO2 and allowed me to adjust settings.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ok thanks, I'll try that.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Vegastar posted:

You should also be able to use the launch options to set —launcher-skip to bypass the dumb new launcher CDPR stuck in there just like Cyberpunk.

Sigh you can but it then defaults to Directx 12 apparently even if you had D11 selected before setting the launch option, and crashes on save load.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Okay this might be a controversial statement but here goes:

The Deck is amazing and so are all of you itt.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've had the deck for a couple of days, and so far the only issues I've had with it are: 1) I keep hitting the left trackpad when reaching for the d-pad because I'm used to the Switch's layout, 2) the 4 back buttons are kind of awkward to hit, I'm hoping I'll get used to them in time, 3) Vampire Survivors was having issues with cloud saving/loading, so I couldn't play it on the Steam Deck yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

These buttons are getting clack-y loud I wonder if I can get silent sticks/buttons so I can play in bed without waking anyone up

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Randalor posted:

2) the 4 back buttons are kind of awkward to hit, I'm hoping I'll get used to them in time

This may help if you haven't figured it out yet: press the flats of the buttons on the back, not the "grip" parts you'd think are correct. They click much easier and you don't have to claw-hand it. It's like the buttons articulation is "backwards."

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 14, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Squiggle posted:

This may be what you mean: press the flats of the buttons on the back, not the "grip" parts you'd think are correct. They click much easier and you don't have to claw-hand it.

It's more just the actual act of pressing them with fingers that are more used to... not really doing much when playing games. It feels... off and unusual. Though I'm not even sure if I was trying to squeeze them in (I'm assuming that's what you meant by what not to do) or press them back.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Squiggle posted:

Sigh you can but it then defaults to Directx 12 apparently even if you had D11 selected before setting the launch option, and crashes on save load.

Lmao. Incredible decision making there. I hadn’t gotten around to trying it yet.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

pseudorandom name posted:

Or test yourself for COVID.

I do have COVID, that was kind of the joke. I suck at this. :(

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Randalor posted:

It's more just the actual act of pressing them with fingers that are more used to... not really doing much when playing games. It feels... off and unusual. Though I'm not even sure if I was trying to squeeze them in (I'm assuming that's what you meant by what not to do) or press them back.

OH yeah, my folly is still accidentally mashing them when I have to take one hand off it for some reason.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vichan posted:

I do have COVID, that was kind of the joke. I suck at this. :(

I got the joke.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m really liking the 8bitdo Pro 2, but with it’s mode-select switch, it doesn’t seem like there’s a way to have gyro, rumble, analog sticks and back buttons at the same time.

Do I just need to pair it with the Deck in every mode, then decide which features to lose on a per-game basis?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I’m really liking the 8bitdo Pro 2, but with it’s mode-select switch, it doesn’t seem like there’s a way to have gyro, rumble, analog sticks and back buttons at the same time.
Analog sticks should work in all modes, but not analog triggers (is that what you meant?). Back buttons should also work in all modes, but you have to assign them in the Ultimate Software--they don't get passed through in any capacity.

Switch mode should have the most support: gyro, rumble, but not analog triggers, while Xinput mode will give you analog triggers but not gyro (not sure about rumble).

Most games should be fine with one or the other. The only instance where I wanted gyro and analog triggers together was exactly one scene in the Outer Wilds, and so I just played that part handheld.

I don't usually use different modes for the same game, but I do with the Dolphin emulator. I use Xinput mode for GameCube due to the analog triggers, and Switch mode for Wii games so I can use gyro to control the Wii pointer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I did mean analog triggers. Oops.

I was hoping this would be more of a do-everything, but I guess I’m waiting for the next Steam controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Do I just need to pair it with the Deck in every mode, then decide which features to lose on a per-game basis?

I know the back buttons work in switch mode with gyro at least on a switch and the CEMU emulator on desktop, so that would be the most likely mode to get all the features except analog triggers working, but I don't know if that works on steam games or not. As far as I'm aware the xinput mode doesn't have gyro working, so it might be that you need to pair it in multiple modes.