Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cel-e-brate good times, come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

The only part of Celebration I've visited is the 7-11 off I-4 cuz I needed gas on the way to my parents' house. It's a weird art-deco 7-11 because all the buildings in Celebration have to be consistently themed based around what zone they're in and it's in the art deco zone I guess. Kinda neat I suppose??

The rest of Celebration creeps me out so I generally just drive straight through. Like Florida is full of white people towns but it's exceptionally white even by that standard. Real bad vibes.

if you had stayed you would have seen a white surprise!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Jordan Peele should probably set something there

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
While Celebration is/was a disaster for the mouse who eventually did dump it; they loved the idea and never let it go.

Behold, the new "celebration":

https://www.disneygoldenoak.com/home-availability/list/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOqNnq4780

The nightmare continues for the low low cost of several million dollars to always be in the Disney hellscape bubble!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

personally i think i appreciate the service disney is doing the rest of us by walling off people who would pay several million dollars to always live in the disney hellscape bubble from the rest of the population

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solar Coaster posted:

While Celebration is/was a disaster for the mouse who eventually did dump it; they loved the idea and never let it go.

The nightmare continues for the low low cost of several million dollars to always be in the Disney hellscape bubble!

My favorite thing about the new one is that while Celebration was on the very edge of Disney land, the new one is like right in the middle, meaning it's close enough to the actual Disney parks to have to put up with hearing the fireworks every single night.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite thing about the new one is that while Celebration was on the very edge of Disney land, the new one is like right in the middle, meaning it's close enough to the actual Disney parks to have to put up with hearing the fireworks every single night.

sounds like a dream come true!! :love:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jazerus posted:

personally i think i appreciate the service disney is doing the rest of us by walling off people who would pay several million dollars to always live in the disney hellscape bubble from the rest of the population

The absolute worst sicko I worked with down there used to go in to the park on his days off, fully Disney'd up, and just do his job for free.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

I agree. One of them is my sister and she would go all for this if she had the cash.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Solar Coaster posted:

What do these people do? Like, what’s the economy of central Florida that it supports so many of this kind of middle class person?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

What do these people do? Like, what’s the economy of central Florida that it supports so many of this kind of middle class person?

that's not a middle class person. those houses start at $2mil usd and only go up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Arivia posted:

that's not a middle class person. those houses start at $2mil usd and only go up.

Same question wrt employment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Generally I think they make their money elsewhere and move here to live out their twisted dream.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Frosted Flake posted:

y’know how our brains do a poor job understanding the difference between orders of magnitude

like that but generational wealth

before the WWII boom and development it was sharecropping

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Unless posted:

y’know how our brains do a poor job understanding the difference between orders of magnitude

like that but generational wealth

before the WWII boom and development it was sharecropping

I just thought they’d have country estates, go big game hunting and work on oil paintings in their leisure time not be Disney Adults and move to a central Florida suburb.

Shouldn’t they be sponsoring agricultural digs and curating a museum or something? It’s such a low-middlebrow idea of what to do with a lot of money. The aesthetic preferences, like having the plans and drawings of Disney rides in their “beachy” bedroom, this is something dentists do, not people who inherit.

Like, wtf is this?

https://youtu.be/RvmXF6tzF6Q

This is the life you’d choose to live with the money to do anything?

She went to the Canadian university founded after WW2 for wounded Canadian veterans. :discourse:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 11:13 on Dec 14, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I just thought they’d have country estates, go big game hunting and work on oil paintings in their leisure time not be Disney Adults and move to a central Florida suburb.

Shouldn’t they be sponsoring agricultural digs and curating a museum or something? It’s such a low-middlebrow idea of what to do with a lot of money. The aesthetic preferences, like having the plans and drawings of Disney rides in their “beachy” bedroom, this is something dentists do, not people who inherit.

Maybe they should, but money doesn't magically make you cultured. Most rich people are fixated on the same mass-market consumerist pap as us, only they pay ten times as much for the deluxe branding. That's not a knock against them, it's just that there's a kind of a ceiling on how much money can improve your quality of life, and a big part of why having so much is ludicrous.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

this is causing a genuine crisis for many legacy non-profit arts organizations. Museums and Symphony Orchestras are losing their patrons to Marvel and Star Wars lmao it sucks

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

this is causing a genuine crisis for many legacy non-profit arts organizations. Museums and Symphony Orchestras are losing their patrons to Marvel and Star Wars lmao it sucks

They just need to get themselves bought by Disney too. Problem solved!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I imagine the only time orchestras in most cities have a guaranteed sell-out engagement is when they perform the works of John Williams to dweebs

Failed Imagineer has issued a correction as of 13:08 on Dec 14, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The orchestras in the 3 closest city to me literally only ever do

1: Beethoven
2: Star wars music
3: Bach or Handel in December

It's like the "read a second book" of music.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is this why opera companies have been staging productions like “The Barber of Seville… but set as a 90’s Rom Com!” ?

I think there are fun things you can do with production design but I must have seen two staged as Downtown Abby. I know people think of horned helmets and breastplates, and you need their money. The MET has led this trend, their production of Le Fille du Regiment set in WW1 was breathtaking, Spanish Civil War Carmen was interesting, but is this why?

I’ve heard this is a problem on Broadway too where “… The Musical!” slop for tourists and ho hum revivals are running forever and hardly anything new gets 100 shows, but I know less about it. Toronto is seemingly chained to Come From Away now because boomers love the Newie Minstrel Show about 9/11.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Turns out mono-culture was a bad idea. Who knew?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frosted Flake posted:

Toronto is seemingly chained to Come From Away now because boomers love the Newie Minstrel Show about 9/11.

CFA closed in Toronto a year ago and AFAIK hasn’t announced any plans to come back. Still winning awards overseas on new translated runs, though!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Skippy McPants posted:

They just need to get themselves bought by Disney too. Problem solved!

or they can do the tàr thing and just play video game osts. Lmaoing at the VGA.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
They can also play classic cartoons with a live orchestra.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

The orchestras in the 3 closest city to me literally only ever do

1: Beethoven
2: Star wars music
3: Bach or Handel in December

It's like the "read a second book" of music.

Yeah play some Legend of Zelda music, geez

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao I went to go see what was playing near me and

Okay never mind I don't want to know anymore.

e: If you like :biotruths: you might also like Hamilton

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Dec 14, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Subjunctive posted:

CFA closed in Toronto a year ago and AFAIK hasn’t announced any plans to come back. Still winning awards overseas on new translated runs, though!

‘Come From Away’ returning to Toronto in 2024 following limited run at Ottawa’s National Arts Centre

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well then! (My in-laws are from Gander and will want to see it again, thanks!)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My condolences

For the blissfully unaware foreigners,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH-ozsBI570

I don’t really know what to compare it to in terms of sappy Canadiana. Maybe Ragtime?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=228R4jSDejU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Frosted Flake posted:

Is this why opera companies have been staging productions like “The Barber of Seville… but set as a 90’s Rom Com!” ?

"modern" stagings or outright reinterpretations of classical operas are nothing new

I don't know if it's become more frequent though

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Symphonies do a ton of nutcracker productions this time of year and are laughing dismissively at activists saying it should be boycotted due to Russia Ukraine war

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Symphonies do a ton of nutcracker productions this time of year and are laughing dismissively at activists saying it should be boycotted due to Russia Ukraine war

Just rename it the Freedom Cracker

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mastershakeman posted:

iirc it’s like 90% of revenue for small and medium size companies.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao I went to go see what was playing near me and

friday night. time to head down to the jorp show with the boys

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Didn't a conductor get fired for being half Russian recently?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh christ. Someone at a party I was at last night was raving about "Come From Away" (right after raving about "Six" and "Hamilton," so I didn't trust him for a second). This is worse than I was imagining though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I think there are fun things you can do with production design but I must have seen two staged as Downtown Abby. I know people think of horned helmets and breastplates, and you need their money. The MET has led this trend, their production of Le Fille du Regiment set in WW1 was breathtaking, Spanish Civil War Carmen was interesting, but is this why?

no, theater and opera companies have been doing tacky period reinterpretations of classics to try to appeal to a broader audience since the victorian era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Oh christ. Someone at a party I was at last night was raving about "Come From Away" (right after raving about "Six" and "Hamilton," so I didn't trust him for a second). This is worse than I was imagining though.

Hey if they like Hamilton I know a certain someone they might want tickets to!!