Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

fermun posted:

He's on pace for a 51 goal season at age 37 and has 3 more years after this season is over on his contract? He absolutely could beat Wayne, wow. I always thought it might be a possibility but it's still incredible.
Unless he hits a big wall or has a career ending injury very soon he almost certainly will beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The covid playoffs with playins led to an awful playoff with terrible teams so ya let's not do that

strong disagree

it was funny as gently caress watching both the Avs and Knights just implode against the Dallas Stars and honestly save for losing the finals it was a ride I will never forget

Khudobin and his wild loving ride, lmao

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Unless he hits a big wall or has a career ending injury very soon he almost certainly will beat it.

If we assume he hits 50 goals again this year that would put him at 830 goals with 64 to go to catch Gretzky. Yeah I'd say he makes it assuming he doesn't severely decline next year. Even if he declined to like a 30 goal season it would only take him another season or two after that to finish passing Gretzky.

And I don't see why he would decline that way. He can stand there and sock dingers and knock in rebound goals all day probably into his 40s. Wouldn't surprise me if he has another two seasons in him of hitting 30-50 goals a year

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://youtu.be/6r2dUuRsPrI

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1602878700273311744?s=20

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

He's on pace for a 51 goal season at age 37 and has 3 more years after this season is over on his contract? He absolutely could beat Wayne, wow. I always thought it might be a possibility but it's still incredible.

It’s still really annoying that there have been 2 lockouts during Ovie’s prime (plus covid shortened seasons) , so literally he would already be there if not for them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

His continued goal scoring this year has been the first time I've come around to the idea that Ovi really might do it. So sorry folks, given my track record he's about a week away from shattering his femur in four places.

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s still really annoying that there have been 2 lockouts during Ovie’s prime (plus covid shortened seasons) , so literally he would already be there if not for them.

Yup, but on the other hand he's missed like 25 games in his career total so his all but unprecedented durability in relation to other power forward/goalscorers has made up a significant chunk of that.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 14, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just checking in on the league-wide player stats right now…

… just like we all predicted at the beginning of the season, Tage Thompson.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm a little surprised prices for the Caps next two home games haven't gotten crazy. Going to be a really fun atmosphere I think. (I'd go except for... you know, the airborne plague.)

Gambling on the games has gotten kind of funny. You pretty much have to take the Caps -1.5 on the puck line if you think they're going to win because how could they win by just one goal with Ovi out there scrapping for ENGs?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hey remember when CAS wanted Laviolette fired and the Caps to trade away everything not nailed down, way back like 2 weeks ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Yup, but on the other hand he's missed like 25 games in his career total so his all but unprecedented durability in relation to other power forward/goalscorers has made up a significant chunk of that.

I think he's missed more games from suspensions than injuries in his career, even.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Even without him chasing Gretzky's record, we are still watching Ovechkin do things literally no one else has done. Before Ovechkin, the oldest player to hit 50 in a season was Buyck at 35. Also, Jagr and Bobby Hull did it at 33. Ovechkin did it at 36, and may do it at 37.

Part of the reason I doubted Ovechkin a few years ago, was because we have never seen someone continue producing past 35 like Ovechkin has.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to see Ovechkin break a Gretzky record, I want him to get to 900. But I'd like to see him do it "the right way" - which might sound stupid. He's older but still a phenomenal scorer and a great player, so I think there's a good chance that he does. I just wouldn't want to see, like, a 43-year-old Ovechkin playing 10 minutes a night and getting trotted out on the power play to try and score a goal to chase the record.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey remember when CAS wanted Laviolette fired and the Caps to trade away everything not nailed down, way back like 2 weeks ago

Lol we all said the same thing about Trotz the year we won the Cup, we’re just trying to recapture that same magic!
:shepface:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Count them separate, sure. But when you're talking about lifetime NHL goals scored, we should be counting every goal scored in a game that counted for something in the NHL.

Baseball doesn't count HRs this way. The NFL doesn't count TDs this way. The NBA doesn't count points this way. Playoffs are counted separate. Records are always for regular season and playoffs are a separate stat/record.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey now, I always thought it was pointless to fire Lavy.

Five-game win streaks are nice. And like I said yesterday, the strength of schedule will get easier in the macro. But they've got a pretty decently tough stretch through the end of the year. Dallas, Toronto, Detroit, Winnipeg, NYR, with some Ottawax2 and Montreal mixed in for flavor. If they keep the momentum, yeah sure let's engage in optimism, but they're still a point back in the wild card.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Isles fall out of the playoffs. Caps and Rangers remain. 5 Metro teams 3 Atlantic. End season start playoffs in the east thanks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not sure you're the best one to throw stones there considering how panicky Penguins fans were earlier this season and every season

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I want to see Ovechkin break a Gretzky record, I want him to get to 900. But I'd like to see him do it "the right way" - which might sound stupid. He's older but still a phenomenal scorer and a great player, so I think there's a good chance that he does. I just wouldn't want to see, like, a 43-year-old Ovechkin playing 10 minutes a night and getting trotted out on the power play to try and score a goal to chase the record.

Actually this is the best outcome because it would make boomer Oilers fans so mad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Isles fall out of the playoffs. Caps and Rangers remain. 5 Metro teams 3 Atlantic. End season start playoffs in the east thanks.

It's insane that the Rangers haven't played the Caps, Pens, or Hurricanes yet (that I can remember right now).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

It's insane that the Rangers haven't played the Caps, Pens, or Hurricanes yet (that I can remember right now).

The Pens have not played the Rangers, Isles, or Devils yet. I think they've played the Caps once and the Canes once. The Pens are playing all three of those teams this month though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They have not. Rangers have yet to play - Caps, Nucks, Leafs, Pens, Canadiens, Panthers, Flames, Canes, and Sabres.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Actually this is the best outcome because it would make boomer Oilers fans so mad.

that's a compelling point actually.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens have not played the Rangers, Isles, or Devils yet. I think they've played the Caps once and the Canes once. The Pens are playing all three of those teams this month though.

Ducks, Avs, Wings, Panthers, Devil's, Press, Isles, Rangers, Sens, and Sharks.

For those interested hockey-ref has a full head to head list under your team.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I still want this, this is a separate thing from Ovi being awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone needs to dig up posts from here during Ovi's controller disconnected era, there should be some good comedy in that.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’ll fully admit, 2016-17 I was thinking “it’s all downhill from here for Ovi”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blade never met Ovechkin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Someone needs to dig up posts from here during Ovi's controller disconnected era, there should be some good comedy in that.

Era would imply that there was a point in Ovechkin's career where he did give a poo poo about defense

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the other hand, a career of conserving energy for the sole purpose of socking dingers is doubtless a major cause in the durability and longevity that will make him the #1 goalscorer ever.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Doesn't throwing sick HITZ count as defense?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I kind of took for granted how good Ovechkin was for a while. Laine came into the league with one of the most hyped releases in the league, and looked like he’d be a threat for 50 every year sitting in Ovie’s office on the power play in his rookie year. But it took less than 2 years for teams/goalies to figure it out and now he barely even scores on the powerplay

Ovie’s been socking dingers from that left hashmark on the powerplay for his entire career and there is absolutely nothing teams can do to stop it. Add to that he is like 240lbs, plays physical and never gets hurt and there’s never gonna be another player like him.

I remember when teenage Svechnikov thought it was a good idea to fight him in the playoffs and almost got a brain injury lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ovie had that dip when everyone figured out he'd want to go outside towards the left wall and then do the toe drag and release into shinpads. Trotz, I think, should be credited with reworking their offense to get better looks and spacing for Ovie off the rush/zone entrances.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea Ovechkin is incredible 800 goals is such a crazy number. Since he came into the league no one is even close to him in goal scoring. Of the players who are still active, Crosby has the second most with 534 (which is impressive too). I don't think anyone will come close to his numbers again. Even the best younger scorers like McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Pastrnak, etc., will likely "only" get to the 500s-600s range.

Edit: it sucks Ovechkin missed probably an entire season or more worth of games between work stoppages. He could be close to Gretzky/pushing to 1000 already if that hadn't happened.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 14, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ovie had that dip when everyone figured out he'd want to go outside towards the left wall and then do the toe drag and release into shinpads. Trotz, I think, should be credited with reworking their offense to get better looks and spacing for Ovie off the rush/zone entrances.

I feel like Ovechkin has become pretty good over the years at scoring goals around the net as well. Not that he was ever bad there, but he has a real knack for getting to rebounds these days.

Like yeah he's still smashing dingers, but he's really good around the net and it's probably not something people think about with him because he has such a long highlight reel of smashing one timers and scoring rush goals.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1603049853839368194?s=46&t=7Eudnk5cpbI22_zNR-OThg

The optimism for this season sure faded fast lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Has DeBrincat shown any indication he'll resign or is the expectation the Sens will cut their losses and dump him at the deadline?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ovie's dips in goal scoring coincide with Boudreau desperately going to a defense-first trap scheme that dropped team scoring by 100 goals before being replaced by Dale Hunter who did basically the same lovely thing. Oates (lol) and Trotz came in and both team and Ovie goals went back up substantially until 2016-17 when they made a conscious decision to try to rest Ovie during the regular season and dropped his TOI and told him to hold back energy for the playoffs. Outside of those years Ovie has scored 50 or more goals and/or led the league in goals except for the 45 game covid season and his sophomore season 2006-07.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Has DeBrincat shown any indication he'll resign or is the expectation the Sens will cut their losses and dump him at the deadline?

They have the cap space for him but I can’t see him wanting to stay in Ottawa long-term so it’s looking like another Matt Duchene-type acquisition for Pierre. Mostly just glad he never gave up the 2023 first for Chychrun

This limbo of not doing anything until new ownership takes over is brutal, don’t really care who buys the team as long as they clear house

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like Ovechkin has become pretty good over the years at scoring goals around the net as well. Not that he was ever bad there, but he has a real knack for getting to rebounds these days.

Like yeah he's still smashing dingers, but he's really good around the net and it's probably not something people think about with him because he has such a long highlight reel of smashing one timers and scoring rush goals.

The dingers are a little rarer these days because it's not super hard to just stick a player in his face on the PP. The PP1 unit isn't as good as it used to be to take advantage of an effective 4 on 3.

One of the newer wrinkles is having Ovi rotate low to the goal line and either take a pass from the bumper or pick up a rebound or redirect from a Carlson clapper. He uses that spot a lot more when they have possession 5v5 too.