Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring:
6. Marvel's Spider-Man:
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum:
8. Batman: Arkham City:
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D:
10. Psychonauts 2:
11 Disco Elysium: The Final Cut:
12. Bowser's Fury:
13. Prey:
14. Luigi's Mansion 3:
15. Horizon: Zero Dawn:
16. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
17. Mario 64 (120 stars): Feel similarly about this as I do to Ocarina. Was interesting to play as a history of gaming type thing but ended up being more frustrating to play than I expected. The early levels I liked best as they were mostly simple enough to get through without the awkward camera or other things getting annoying. I also really liked the later levels Tall Tall Mountain, Over the Rainbows, and some of the clock stars. Lava Land and Shifting Sands were hell on Earth. I'm also glad the later games didn't keep the 100 coin stars, those were rarely enjoyable.

I thought the game was at its best when a star or route involved rattling off a tight fighting combo style set of moves and at its worst whenever you had to do small jumps across small platforms. Or try and line up a single longer jump when the camera wouldn't let you get the angle that let you judge your run/line best. I'm not sure what to make of Mario's momentum which seemed way more noticeable than Bowser's Fury the only other 3D Mario I played fully. It felt good when you were moving fast and jumping a lot but he seemed to build up as much momentum after a single step as he did after a long run. Or he'd execute his full turning animation on a platform when I was just trying to take a step back from the edge and end up walking off due to that.

It's the first 3D platform ever so I'm not trying to point out mistakes or design shortcomings as a gotcha on the devs or anything silly like that, just giving my reasoning for why I found frustration with it.

Glad to cross this one off the list but hard to recommend on merits other than "for the history/full series" when they've polished the formula for 3D Mario so much since. Though probably I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I'd just gone for the minimum star count.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mario 64 seems like the funnest game ever if you were a speed runner but other than that it’s just fairy freaking epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That said I’d rather play it than any later 3D Mario.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

It's the first 3D platform ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfI5GC9IYec&t=26s
the devs had plenty of time to learn from 1990's alpha waves

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Mario 64 seems like the funnest game ever if you were a speed runner but other than that it’s just fairy freaking epic.

Ya I think that's why I liked sections where you had space to run around and do lots of cool jumps because that's what I'd expected based only on seeing people who were really good at the game do. It seems like a game that's a tonne of fun if you can get really good at it but it seems for non speed runners it's a lot more fun just to play the later ones.

mbt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfI5GC9IYec&t=26s
the devs had plenty of time to learn from 1990's alpha waves

sad to see, shame on them.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario 64 walked so Bubsy 3D could run

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

26. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (All slimes)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil survivor overclocked - ng+ amane route day 8
one of the easiest lucifers. love this game. going to play 2 next.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Thy Flesh Turned into a Draft Excluder (9 levels for Ultimate Doom, 2014). 3/5. A mix of well crafted dense little doom 1 fire fights and very tedious slaughter-style maps but you only have a shotgun for half of it and theres never enough ammo or health. play the first 4 levels and youll have a good time. I had to drop the difficulty down to the easiest to beat the last level bc its just a huge mess of cyberdemons and hitscanners and cacodemons all spawned in the first step off the teleport pad. ugly stuff.
  • Pinnacle of Doom (1 level for ZDoom, 2015). 2/5. Kinda whatever huge castle map for zdoom. I got stuck 30 minutes and had no clue what to do and ran back and forth the whole level trying to figure out how to reach the b;ue key before realizing I was supposed to jump to it. Epic.

and with that...Ive played everything i downloaded after reading all the cacowards earlier this year. what an adventure. I just downloaded like 40 more packs from this year's list, but im going to be way more quick to just drop stuff im not enjoying now that i fairly firmly know what kind of custom levels i actually enjoy playing. Doom forever. now to get back to yakuza

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Thy Flesh Turned into a Draft Excluder

:black101:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
43. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile HD (Normal, All Residents Freed)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Mamkute posted:

43. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile HD (Normal, All Residents Freed)

:hai:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

In Training posted:

8. WADs
  • Thy Flesh Turned into a Draft Excluder (9 levels for Ultimate Doom, 2014). 3/5. A mix of well crafted dense little doom 1 fire fights and very tedious slaughter-style maps but you only have a shotgun for half of it and theres never enough ammo or health. play the first 4 levels and youll have a good time. I had to drop the difficulty down to the easiest to beat the last level bc its just a huge mess of cyberdemons and hitscanners and cacodemons all spawned in the first step off the teleport pad. ugly stuff.
  • Pinnacle of Doom (1 level for ZDoom, 2015). 2/5. Kinda whatever huge castle map for zdoom. I got stuck 30 minutes and had no clue what to do and ran back and forth the whole level trying to figure out how to reach the b;ue key before realizing I was supposed to jump to it. Epic.

and with that...Ive played everything i downloaded after reading all the cacowards earlier this year. what an adventure. I just downloaded like 40 more packs from this year's list, but im going to be way more quick to just drop stuff im not enjoying now that i fairly firmly know what kind of custom levels i actually enjoy playing. Doom forever. now to get back to yakuza

keep reading "8. WADs" to the tune of the heathcliff theme song every time i read one of these reports

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

dragon quest heroes: rocket slime

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman posted:

dragon quest heroes: rocket slime

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Firewatch

Eh.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
43+ Klonoa: Door to Phantomile HD (Extra Vision Clear)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

dragon quest 2 (SNES)

finally.

saving the victory lap for tomorrow. this game was very good but the final stretch was ridiculous. gonna wait til after impmas to start dq3 I think.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Addendum: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Golden Deer Maddening

Better house than blue lions for sure, though Claude is not really as interesting as I thought he was going to be. People seem to trash Lorenz Ignatz and Raphael online but they were all pretty good units for me? Leonie and Lysithea were godly but MVP by far though was recruited Petra, my god. No defiant wrath or vengeance yet she would dodge everything and still be liable to crit kill on the counterattack.

Black eagles maddening up next. I already have 300 hours in this game since September lmfao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

Addendum: Fire Emblem Three Houses: Golden Deer Maddening

Better house than blue lions for sure, though Claude is not really as interesting as I thought he was going to be. People seem to trash Lorenz Ignatz and Raphael online but they were all pretty good units for me? Leonie and Lysithea were godly but MVP by far though was recruited Petra, my god. No defiant wrath or vengeance yet she would dodge everything and still be liable to crit kill on the counterattack.

Black eagles maddening up next. I already have 300 hours in this game since September lmfao

I've never had a good Lorenz but Ignatz and Raphael were both extremely useful to me on Maddening. Raphael could become near-invincible to physical attacks so he was a very reliable choke point holder, and Ignatz's insane accuracy made him my most reliable killer early game and then he spent the late game as a sniper picking off dangerous squishies.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

I've never had a good Lorenz but Ignatz and Raphael were both extremely useful to me on Maddening. Raphael could become near-invincible to physical attacks so he was a very reliable choke point holder, and Ignatz's insane accuracy made him my most reliable killer early game and then he spent the late game as a sniper picking off dangerous squishies.

Yeah for me Lorenz would just do solid damage and have high def, then he got frozen lance and would just one round people. Even when that falls off lategame the damage was still good and he got even tankier, plus using poison strike and or lifetaker was useful sometimes and recover is nice.

Ditto on the other two. I also kinda turned ignatz into a crit bow guy like Claude so anyone not in armor was hosed. Makes me think I should have gone the gimmick try hard 100% crit rate build with him

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn’t try any particular build for Ignatz, just made him a sniper and let his natural growth rates take care of the rest, and he still ended up with a 66% chance to crit towards the end of the game and the way the game fudges the numbers a bit XCOM-style meant that it was pretty much as good as a 100% chance lol. He’s an insanely good unit, I never understood all the people saying otherwise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the only thing I went even slightly out of my way for on Ignatz was making sure he mastered Brigand for the Death Blow skill, but after that I just made him a Sniper and left him there. Especially in late game Maddening when enemies are often too fast to double, the Sniper's volley move that always shoots twice was incredible and Ignatz never misses and has a high natural crit rate. Ignatz rules

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
people that poo poo on ignatz tend to be playing lower difficulties I find, where he's just a decent archer. accuracy matters so much more on maddening and since that's his niche he becomes really good

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's exactly why I like Maddening. A lot of the mechanics and design decisions that make less sense on lower difficulties (or things that don't seem useful) suddenly make sense on Maddening. Ignatz's niche, for example. Gambits go from overpowered to necessary, and non-damage gambits also become really useful. Weapon arts also stay valuable past the early game on Maddening, too. It's cool

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I didn’t try any particular build for Ignatz, just made him a sniper and let his natural growth rates take care of the rest, and he still ended up with a 66% chance to crit towards the end of the game and the way the game fudges the numbers a bit XCOM-style meant that it was pretty much as good as a 100% chance lol. He’s an insanely good unit, I never understood all the people saying otherwise

Harrow posted:

I think the only thing I went even slightly out of my way for on Ignatz was making sure he mastered Brigand for the Death Blow skill, but after that I just made him a Sniper and left him there. Especially in late game Maddening when enemies are often too fast to double, the Sniper's volley move that always shoots twice was incredible and Ignatz never misses and has a high natural crit rate. Ignatz rules

Sudden Javelin posted:

people that poo poo on ignatz tend to be playing lower difficulties I find, where he's just a decent archer. accuracy matters so much more on maddening and since that's his niche he becomes really good

100% agree with all of this

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's exactly why I like Maddening. A lot of the mechanics and design decisions that make less sense on lower difficulties (or things that don't seem useful) suddenly make sense on Maddening. Ignatz's niche, for example. Gambits go from overpowered to necessary, and non-damage gambits also become really useful. Weapon arts also stay valuable past the early game on Maddening, too. It's cool

the other thing is maddening actually makes you care a little about positionals. you best believe I was manipulating placement to get use out of hilda, byleth, claude, and leonie's special skills. double so when I got sacred power on byleth. you just can't pass up the extra damage to secure a kill when EP can be so devastating without a dodge tank around (petra ftw)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

27. F-Zero (all leagues)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

55) Super Metroid (1:04, 46%)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Super Metroid: 2:31, first time I've cleared it under 3 :frogbon:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

Super Metroid: 2:31, first time I've cleared it under 3 :frogbon:

badass

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (hd)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

44. Super Mario World

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

109)The Big Con

Interesting take on a point n click. Trying to wrap up some of my backlog games before I dive in to impmas

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

super metroid again, clear time 1:50, no grapple beam

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

65)Super Mario World
66)Kirby's Adventure

Not going for Extra mode in Kirby, but I do need to go back and get all the exits on Super Mario World, hopefully before the end of December

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Super Mario World: ended up doing about half the levels. Probably my favorite mario, great from start to finish.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

110) Kirby's Adventure

I"m gonna try for extra mode, but probably not immediately

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

56) The Legend of Zelda (Game and Watch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

super mario land