Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cranappleberry posted:

how many of those hours are load times and turn timers?

Almost all of them probably. It's pretty dang egregious. You'd think they'd focus more on that, but whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm hoping for Norsca to get the woodelf treatment in a DLC for DLC and a way for Surtha Ek to finally ascend to be the everchosen and break the world over the wheel.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm hoping for Norsca to get the woodelf treatment in a DLC for DLC and a way for Surtha Ek to finally ascend to be the everchosen and break the world over the wheel.

The real End Times is Surtha Ek and Settra the Imperishable clashing in their chariots while Tzeentch watches and utters one final "Just as planned..."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gonkish posted:

The real End Times is Surtha Ek and Settra the Imperishable clashing in their chariots while Tzeentch watches and utters one final "Just as planned..."

At which point Settra roars SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE, does a wheelie and fucks off

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Waiting for the "War in the North" DLC, Kislev vs. Norsca, two lords each but in a surprise twist it turns out that both factions have one "good" and one "evil" lord.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Anyone have any info on troubleshooting desync problems in multiplayer? I've been playing games with a few friends on and off for a few months, but another buddy of mine who has been waiting for the game to stabilize finally gave it a shot and we had two campaigns just run into desync issues very quickly. We stripped out all the mods after the first time and I'm a bit flabbergasted. Previous multiplayer games included a 4-person game with someone in europe and we never ran into this persistent desync issue. Googling it unfortunately doesn't offer up much in the way of helpful information.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

orangelex44 posted:

Waiting for the "War in the North" DLC, Kislev vs. Norsca, two lords each but in a surprise twist it turns out that both factions have one "good" and one "evil" lord.

Kislev achieves its natural conclusion and their last lord is just a bear wearing a ushanka and riding another bear

Comrade Bear bears north, bestride Beary the Bear, bare-saddled, barely a Bear God believer, bellowing 'beware' to bare-chested bearded believers of chaos..

An animator finishes the 3D model, exhausted, praying he never has to animate another loving bear

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 13, 2022

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Olesh posted:

Anyone have any info on troubleshooting desync problems in multiplayer? I've been playing games with a few friends on and off for a few months, but another buddy of mine who has been waiting for the game to stabilize finally gave it a shot and we had two campaigns just run into desync issues very quickly. We stripped out all the mods after the first time and I'm a bit flabbergasted. Previous multiplayer games included a 4-person game with someone in europe and we never ran into this persistent desync issue. Googling it unfortunately doesn't offer up much in the way of helpful information.

Having multiple contact effects on units seems to trigger desyncs in battle, if that's where you're getting them. Was causing some pretty major problems in my Thrott/Azaezal campaign before we found that out, since you can easily mutate flaming attacks onto units that already have something going on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Olanphonia posted:

The early vlad start is loving brutal. Everyone hates your guts and you end up quickly on the receiving end of war declarations from every surrounding neighbor. Took me a fairly long time to even stabilize but once I got rolling things are looking up.
Counterpoint: Very Hard campaign difficulty Isabella with an AI 50% upkeep discount and "AI upgrades settlements fast" mods was the most fun I've ever had playing a Total War game.

jokes posted:

Kislev achieves its natural conclusion and their last lord is just a bear wearing a ushanka and riding another bear

Comrade Bear bears north, bestride Beary the Bear, bare-saddled, barely a Bear God believer, bellowing 'beware' to bare-chested bearded believers of chaos..

An animator finishes the 3D model, exhausted, praying he never has to animate another loving bear
lmao

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Wulfrik campaign the bigger issue was that the moment you can see the water everyone hates you and starts declaring war
Get the "Thou Shalt Make War On Thy Neighbor" mod so only AI that neighbors you can declare war (they can still declare across seazones but it still limits it a bit). A buddy of mine and I have come back around to "we should probably turn this off" because sometimes it feels like it nerfs the AI a bit too hard, but I've overall enjoyed it because I get irrationally annoyed at AI on the other side of the planet declaring on me.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Vargs posted:

Having multiple contact effects on units seems to trigger desyncs in battle, if that's where you're getting them. Was causing some pretty major problems in my Thrott/Azaezal campaign before we found that out, since you can easily mutate flaming attacks onto units that already have something going on.

Unfortunately the desyncs were happening on the campaign map. We had it happen with the initiate battle screens, during the AI turn, there didn't seem to be an obvious pattern to it and it didn't matter which of us was hosting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Get the "Thou Shalt Make War On Thy Neighbor" mod so only AI that neighbors you can declare war (they can still declare across seazones but it still limits it a bit). A buddy of mine and I have come back around to "we should probably turn this off" because sometimes it feels like it nerfs the AI a bit too hard, but I've overall enjoyed it because I get irrationally annoyed at AI on the other side of the planet declaring on me.

I dunno if you know this but that mod has an additional config option that lets AI wardec targets that are one neighbor over so the game doesn't get too static. The modder even recommends turning that on because they realized that only being able to wardec neighbors was legit too limiting to the AI.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

I dunno if you know this but that mod has an additional config option that lets AI wardec targets that are one neighbor over so the game doesn't get too static. The modder even recommends turning that on because they realized that only being able to wardec neighbors was legit too limiting to the AI.
I forgot about that so thank you for pointing it out. Part of why I forgot is because I've mainly been playing multiplayer and you cant do the config thing in MP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Olesh posted:

Unfortunately the desyncs were happening on the campaign map. We had it happen with the initiate battle screens, during the AI turn, there didn't seem to be an obvious pattern to it and it didn't matter which of us was hosting.
With literally zero mods? The only time I've ever seen an actual desync it was probably due to steam not updating mods consistently across players since it went away when we disabled a certain mod that was supposed to be MP compatible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
According to users on Steam, the main culprit for MP mod desync are mods that use scripts, which unfortunately includes the community bug fix mod and basically any mod that is more complex than adding a few database entries and skins. Most mods will note whether they're MP-safe or not but it sounds like the modders are not always on the ball about it.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Sindai posted:

With literally zero mods? The only time I've ever seen an actual desync it was probably due to steam not updating mods consistently across players since it went away when we disabled a certain mod that was supposed to be MP compatible.

As part of the process of restarting the campaign, we eliminated all mods and still got a desync almost immediately, so it's something fucky with the connection between us that we can't figure out.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
We were three players that had frequent desync issues in twwh2.
Turned out to be a flaky wifi connection at one of the players that total war couldnt handle, when he replaced the usb wifi dongle/switched to cable the desyncs stopped

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is there a good place to ask newbie modding questions on TWW? I'm still mostly playing 2 since I'm waiting on some of the IE mods to catch up to 3.

I've dug in a bit to the pack manager tools and sort of get it, but the DB structure feels an order of magnitude more complex than the Paradox files I'm used to modding...and also not sure if or how I can modify the actual in game units, and what can be done via DB config assignments versus what requires me to figure out how to do 3D modeling which I have no hope of learning.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Is there a good place to ask newbie modding questions on TWW? I'm still mostly playing 2 since I'm waiting on some of the IE mods to catch up to 3.

I've dug in a bit to the pack manager tools and sort of get it, but the DB structure feels an order of magnitude more complex than the Paradox files I'm used to modding...and also not sure if or how I can modify the actual in game units, and what can be done via DB config assignments versus what requires me to figure out how to do 3D modeling which I have no hope of learning.

https://discord.gg/DgkwC2mA

The biggest modding server, pretty chill too.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No roadmap this year, come back in February.

Reckon new content is only really coming in April, at best.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

lil add on further in the thread on their forums to keep the sky up for those who need it lol

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Too late. Ded game with a skeleton crew. Ever dev has secretly moved on to TW:Warhammer 40k and/or Mediaval 3.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

to be honest the faster they dump the current warhammer engine the better.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TW:WH1 remake

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hemale in pain posted:

to be honest the faster they dump the current warhammer engine the better.
Holy poo poo yes.

jokes posted:

TW:WH1 the second

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

quote is not edit

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jokes posted:

TW:WH1 remake

You can play Franz, plus Balthazar if you preorder. If you own TWW1 (the first one) + TWW2 + TWW3 then the level cap is raised from 10 to 60. If you own all the DLCs on top of that Franz gets a mount.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah theres gotta be some nasty-rear end tech debt that they are having trouble chewing through. I mean we already knew that in general from bugs that have been hanging out since the Rome2 days but still

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

No roadmap this year, come back in February.

Reckon new content is only really coming in April, at best.

Oooof, at this point I'd be happy if they get their second quarter deadline.
Shoutout to the one or two goons who were still convinced that they could read between the lines chaos dwarfs were being released in Q1.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah theres gotta be some nasty-rear end tech debt that they are having trouble chewing through. I mean we already knew that in general from bugs that have been hanging out since the Rome2 days but still
That and the fact that TWWH3 is using code from Rome 1. Like... just start fresh, please, CA.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lt. Lizard posted:

Too late. Ded game with a skeleton crew. Ever dev has secretly moved on to TW:Warhammer 40k and/or Mediaval 3.

Just do the civ model, radio silence for a year then release some garbage D/FLC that doesn't even do what it says in the title

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have been cursed with this knowledge, and now so have all of you. :frogsiren:

Also, drat CA has to be VERY careful with their wording or nerds on the internet will spin a turn of phrase into catastrophic hysteria instantaneously. I do not envy community managers, it must be like herding syphilitic cats.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 14, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonkish posted:

it must be like herding syphilitic cats.

Many internet people probably already do this for free

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gonkish posted:

Also, drat CA has to be VERY careful with their wording or nerds on the internet will spin a turn of phrase into catastrophic hysteria instantaneously. I do not envy community managers, it must be like herding syphilitic cats.

The latest post said infernal hype train, therefore we are getting chaos dwarfs WITH TRAINS.
Watch my video where I explain the long history of trains and dwarves, in a 10 part series

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That and the fact that TWWH3 is using code from Rome 1. Like... just start fresh, please, CA.
Old code isn't bad code. There's no reason to delete something and then end up writing the exact same code you deleted.
CA does have tech problems. But the big ones appear to be in their version control system. Something which they said they would look at fixing after the Norsca debacle was settled. But I maintain that the WH3 team refused to talk to anyone outside of their little club.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:hmmyes:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

yes but that's a conclusion a reasonable person who has an understanding of basic reality would come to. Not an executive.

how many of those hours are load times and turn timers?

You joke but probably a lot less than anticipated after the Potion of Speed update? Probably got more hours from accidentally leaving it alt-tabbed than loading screens around that time.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well yeah, they need all hands on deck for the premium currency cosmetic shops and seasonal battle passes mandated by Sega.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Gonkish posted:

Community Manager is a chronically underpaid and over abused position that is terminally hosed because its almost impossible to tie to revenue generation, and so it gets put in the Cost Center bin. Doesn't help that so many people remain desperate to be in the industry that they are constantly undercutting each other via supply glut/crab mentality, despite the overwhelming majority of applicants actually having no loving clue how much work goes into it.

I give them the same amount of slack I do waitstaff - as long as they aren't being repeatedly personally offensive and directly aggressive, I let whatever slide. Both are hell jobs that interact with the absolute worst people in the world: customers.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Will forever lol at the time a community manager, who I thought was really cool and regularly interacted in the community, posted something on the reddit along the lines of 'hey guys I have to check this place every day for work maybe post more Total War things and less anime bikini babes' which was met with universal hatred by the posters there.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lmao that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Give everyone IE, but owning all 3 unlocks the army painter.