Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/elonjet

elon banned the account which tracks the location of his private jet (which is public information, by law)

I guess the risk to his personal safety just became too much for free speech to handle

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589414958508691456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Steadiman posted:

He’s probably gonna use that rent thing as an excuse to move the operation to Texas.

In that's the case, Melon Husk will surely do a 'relocate or be fired' edict as well as refusing to cover any costs associated with moving.

Also they'll have 2 days to decide.
And another two days to start working in the new office.

Side cameras are a good idea as long as they have decided screens. Cameras do have advantages too. They can be pointed at exactly the right place and don't need to be adjusted. They can be placed anywhere- not just right next to the doors. You'll no longer need the wide angle mirror with the 'objects may appear' warning: everything will look right. You don't need to have mirrors that fold manually or automatically.

As for floating Cybetrucks: lol. First, Tesla's fit and finish issues are pretty huge and there's no way the thing would be close to watertight. Second, you would just float along with wind and current. Once the tires don't make contact with the ground- the truck has no form of propulsion.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tom Fitton is such a stupid motherfucker. WHY HASNT BIDEN STOPPED ALL CRIME???

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SRQ posted:

ACTUALLY
The normally used bridge does have a window, it's just not directly ahead of the crew. The view screen is mostly because in space you more often than not don't want to be looking at what happens to be literally in front of you. The NCC 1701 for example has a window right above them, and several in the rooms beside.

They all do have a battle-bridge deeper inside the vessel that was rarely used because it's a pain the rear end to write in the change of position [and a second set], ostensibly for this reason though.

For a car? Mirrors make a billion times more sense because there's no secondary function you want your mirror you provide, unlike that view screen. You want them all pointed at specific positions to fill in your blind spot. That's it, that's all. That's the point. Making it a screen adds a failure point and complicates it for no reason.

gently caress you I'll take your post too literally if I want too dad

More importantly, Star Trek "figured out" super durable see-thru metal windows that could also function as large video displays. Here in the unwritten world, we have:

Replace handles, buttons, and instrument cluster with an iPad.

Replace mirrors with 3 iPads.

Replace the windshield with 20 iPads, tiled.

That said, in most Trek series we're on fancy Federation ships with huge crews that work nonstop in shifts to keep crap working smoothly (regardless, the action in every other episode will hinge on transdimensional hitchhikers or the hologram of a Victorian literary figure taking over the frigging things); I imagine if technocars were made by the United States government as mobile symbols of their military, scientific and cultural supremacy- and they staffed those cars with highly qualified engineers- I might feel slightly more confident in driving them... until of course the AI ghost of Mr. Darcy seizes the steering wheel and plows us through a roving bachelorette party.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

heavy liquid posted:

I guess the risk to his personal safety just became too much for free speech to handle

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589414958508691456

What a dumb idiot baby. You can still track the plane because the FAA has rules

Here's elon's jet https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a835af

And space-x's jets https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a2ae0a https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a64304

gently caress off elon

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
At what point does Tesla’s board step in and do to Musk what Papa John’s did to Papa John?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Frank Frank posted:

At what point does Tesla’s board step in and do to Musk what Papa John’s did to Papa John?

He dissolved the board because he's sole owner. As a private company they do not require a board of directors.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

pixaal posted:

He dissolved the board because he's sole owner. As a private company they do not require a board of directors.

They said Tesla, not Twitter. Tesla is not private.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Frank Frank posted:

unlike twitter employees who are held hostage via h1-b visas, the board of tesla are probably firmly willingly aboard the elon train til it runs out of track.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Twitter is not solely owned by Musk, but it is majority proof owned by him so while he owes a duty of care to the minority owners, the typical answer is gonna be "get hosed" on most business decisions.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Riven posted:

They said Tesla, not Twitter. Tesla is not private.

Oh poo poo you are correct I think I saw the T and glossed over the rest.

kw0134 posted:

Twitter is not solely owned by Musk, but it is majority proof owned by him so while he owes a duty of care to the minority owners, the typical answer is gonna be "get hosed" on most business decisions.

I think Cathie Wood owns the next most and she is very much into following Elon to Hell to die if he wishes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Steadiman posted:

"lol" you say...
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1603019316156194816
I'm with you, there is literally nothing redeeming about this repulsive little try-hard and his sad attempts at being edgy to fit in

yeah, musk is still trapped in the "look how edgy i am and how stupid and pointless things are, LOL" stage of teenagehood. he would be posting on KF or some other place like that if he knew about them. because of that he is too dumb to realize that at some point the other corps and rich fucks will just let him hang himself because him letting his little nazi friends gently caress around is cutting into bottom lines

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Slotducks posted:

unlike twitter employees who are held hostage via h1-b visas, the board of tesla are probably firmly willingly aboard the elon train til it runs out of track bursts into flames.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

More importantly, Star Trek "figured out" super durable see-thru metal windows that could also function as large video displays. Here in the unwritten world, we have:

Replace handles, buttons, and instrument cluster with an iPad.

Replace mirrors with 3 iPads.

Replace the windshield with 20 iPads, tiled.

That said, in most Trek series we're on fancy Federation ships with huge crews that work nonstop in shifts to keep crap working smoothly (regardless, the action in every other episode will hinge on transdimensional hitchhikers or the hologram of a Victorian literary figure taking over the frigging things); I imagine if technocars were made by the United States government as mobile symbols of their military, scientific and cultural supremacy- and they staffed those cars with highly qualified engineers- I might feel slightly more confident in driving them... until of course the AI ghost of Mr. Darcy seizes the steering wheel and plows us through a roving bachelorette party.

To be a huge nerd for a sec, the Star Trek viewscreen isn't a window, it's just a screen. There's a window on top of the bridge in TNG, and windows all over the outer rooms, and yeah they are made of transparent aluminium, but that one's just a screen. In the later movies it's not even a screen, it's just a hologram of a screen and when it's off there's nothing there at all, but they don't ever actually say anything about that, it's just a detail you can catch if you're observant

People keep telling me the TNG one is holographic too and that explains what's up with some weird looking side-on shots but I don't buy that, I think the production staff just didn't want to simulate that kind of skew on a greenscreen and they hoped you wouldn't notice

All of these are naturally way more advanced than modern technology can handle, and what modern technology can handle is lightyears ahead of what Tesla would put in their lithium fires on wheels

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the board at tesla dont have the balls to power through the shitposting (and the crash) if they boot Musk.

shortsightedness also applies to unwillingness to do short term pain(the Musk Nova) for longer term gains(hopefully a silent Musk corpse?) .

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tanking my immense wealth, to own the libs

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

kazil posted:

tanking my immense wealth, to own the libs

i hope elon doesn't own me some more by losing even more money!!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Musk Urged His Fans to Back GOP in Midterms—Then Didn’t Vote

Musk’s political advocacy accelerated last spring, around the time he was maneuvering to acquire Twitter. “In the past I voted Democrat, because they were (mostly) the kindness party. But they have become the party of division & hate, so I can no longer support them and will vote Republican,” he tweeted in May.

Later that month, he added, “Given unprovoked attacks by leading Democrats against me & a very cold shoulder to Tesla & SpaceX, I intend to vote Republican in November.”

“First time I ever voted Republican,” Musk declared at the time. “Massive red wave in 2022.”

“Based on our records, we do not have any indication that Mr. Musk participated in the November 2022 Election in Cameron County,” the county’s election administrator told The Daily Beast.

The official added that Musk could not have voted in another county, since that would have triggered the cancellation of his initial registration.

An official in the Texas Secretary of State’s Office confirmed that Musk is only registered to vote in Cameron County, noting that any changes would show up in state databases. The office’s records also showed that Musk did not vote in the midterms.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 14, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Guys I think this elon guy might have problems with telling the truth.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Someone else said it and it's really true: Elon should have bought Reddit. He's the living embodiment of le epic edgy Redditor; they probably would have gotten a kick out of that. Ultimately, though, buying Twitter is better because now we get to see him tank his reputation (and the illusion that SV techbros are intelligent and good at business) in real time.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Someone else said it and it's really true: Elon should have bought Reddit. He's the living embodiment of le epic edgy Redditor; they probably would have gotten a kick out of that. Ultimately, though, buying Twitter is better because now we get to see him tank his reputation (and the illusion that SV techbros are intelligent and good at business) in real time.

Market Summary
Dow Jones Industrial Average
+150.31 (+0.44%)today

Market Summary
Tesla Inc
158.41 USD
−2.54 (-1.58%)today

:allears:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The problem is that Twitter is high(er) visibility than Reddit, and the narcissist in him would absolutely refuse to be on a "lesser" platform. The best decision for him would be to turn off the computer and go touch grass; absent that you have to consider what the self-infatuated brain worms pulling on his ganglia are telling him to do. He becomes pretty predictable once you think of it in those terms.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He's honestly too cringey to be a redditor, which is saying something

He's like if /pol/ and /8chan/ Ivfed a failed clone of Hitler

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think the bigger problem is Reddit is to decentralized. He could get the attention he wants on some subs but the majority just would not care

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

elon isn't addicted to posting on reddit

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
There is zero percent chance he is removed like a third of the board is himself his brother and James Murdoch (Yes that Murdoch.). Some of the other board members came to his defense in the last investor lawsuit on his compensation and see to be totally brainwashed.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Vire posted:

There is zero percent chance he is removed like a third of the board is himself his brother and James Murdoch (Yes that Murdoch.). Some of the other board members came to his defense in the last investor lawsuit on his compensation and see to be totally brainwashed.

Someone should tell them people can buy other electric cars now.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Most people don't follow Elon on Twitter either (I don't, and only find his tweets through this thread) but they're widely reported. You can have a wall-gardened experience with Twitter and while it's much much easier on Reddit since the subs are by default segregated, if you don't want Elon in your feed it's pretty easy to do. But ultimately what Elon says only gets the traction it does because a bunch of people are breathlessly running to repeat it in other media so you can't avoid it unless you don't read anything else.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol if Tesla's ultimate legacy is like a not-fondly-remembered-but-just-as-educational AMC

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
if you still have a twitter account youre part of the problem

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

lol if Tesla's ultimate legacy is like a not-fondly-remembered-but-just-as-educational AMC

To be fair, AMC had a significant impact at least for Jeep. I don't know if Tesla will have as much impact.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, AMC had a significant impact at least for Jeep. I don't know if Tesla will have as much impact.

AMC had a lot of impact on stuff like the development of American compact cars and the like. AMC was an extremely innovative company through and through - except for the part where they innovated based on actual poo poo rather than reinventing the wheel (except when they had to.)

someday I will buy a gremlin... someday

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

My Spirit Otter posted:

But Hotz hasn't figured out how to get rid of the pop-up box when you scroll too far while logged out yet

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

I was just a lurker before deactivating on twitter, but pisses me off that big accounts that hate Elon and his poo poo are making 0 effort to move off of twitter

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't the guy who owns reddit married to serena williams? that bastard

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

isn't the guy who owns reddit married to serena williams? that bastard

Lucky bastard has someone to play tennis with pretty much whenever.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

AMC had a lot of impact on stuff like the development of American compact cars and the like. AMC was an extremely innovative company through and through - except for the part where they innovated based on actual poo poo rather than reinventing the wheel (except when they had to.)

speaking of which

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

F1-form-factor wheels do not belong on the road with cars that aren't tuned and built to make super quick, tight turns constantly and I hate that poo poo so much :colbert:

and that looks real cumbersome compared to an F1 wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Elon edgelorded himself out of being the world's richest person.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/business/bernard-arnault-richest-person/index.html