Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

joepinetree posted:

Oh, but there is something specific about this new sort of invasion that I didn't anticipate happening after we killed yagluth

they fly! so the usual trench strat to keep enemies away won't work

My strategy for dealing with them is to just leave my base, then have them chase me to some Lox, then let them duke it out while I go see if there's any more Seekers around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't tried it but can you snap either 1m beams or horizontal corewood to the bottom? That would let you offset them better.

Barring that it's probably "Get Valheim Plus"
Probably, but with how some pieces seem to dislike being partially buried it might not work as well. I'll try.

And frankly I should do that anyway. It plays ok with existing games?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No idea honestly.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What would valheim plus do for that? I'm not super familiar with all its features.

It has an edit mode that lets you place something then edit its position by nudging it around with the arrow keys.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I forgot just what a pain in the rear end Bonemass is compared to the first two bosses. Even with fully upgraded iron armor, shield and an iron mace, he hits like a truck and has way too much life, not to mention faffing about in the swamp just drags.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

I forgot just what a pain in the rear end Bonemass is compared to the first two bosses. Even with fully upgraded iron armor, shield and an iron mace, he hits like a truck and has way too much life, not to mention faffing about in the swamp just drags.

Max out your gear. Use the best possible food, if you can get some serpent meat it will help. Clear out any mobs around the altar before hand. Bring healing and poison res potions.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
And flatten ground around the altar so you don't slow down in water and you don't have to deal with random leeches.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Glass of Milk posted:

He only hits like a truck if you let him hit you. His hits are super slow and easy to parry.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bonemass unprepared:

You fell into a puddle and can't move
You're out of stamina
You don't recover stamina
You're constantly poisoned and it kills you in 10 seconds
You/half of your group are dead weight trying to kill the thing with arrows and swords, the boss has a huge health pool to compensate for players that are there but don't actually help
Oh poo poo a leech out of nowhere bit me
Oh poo poo it's actually 5 leeches
We pulled draugr too
We died about two items in actually

Bonemass prepared*:
It's a Taurus Demon tank and spank romp on a flat arena with an occasional break to dodge the puke and Instagib a blob or two.

*Prepared: some kind of mace, poison mead, a little puddle clearing with the hoe before the fight. Upgrading all your gear helps but it's not mandatory.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 14, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So I have to admit I'm eating a bit of crow with my previous criticisms of the game's dev process, given how impressive and expansive the Mistlands biome is. I have avoided spoilers as much as possible so I figured it would be a copy / paste add on with nothing all that new. Happy to admit I was wrong and the update bodes well for the next one. Mistlands are like a totally new experience, much the way that the swamp biome was a big step up in ambiance and difficulty.

Having a ton of fun over here with the crew.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Bonemass tip: Just use stagbreaker to find silver and skip him

Not sure what they gated behind him on the vendor though

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

But then you don't get his awesome boss ability which helps so much with wolves, the plains, and mistlands.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Jusupov posted:

You can just cheese the fight by building a tower in one of those invincible trees and just shooting him from range until he dies. It's tedious as gently caress, but it works. I'd still rather fight him melee, though.

Either way, skipping him seems to be the worse option, in my view

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jusupov posted:

That's trading one-time fight (that is not even that hard with some preparation) for permanent inconvenience.

Ymir flesh, which is required for one of the best weapons in game.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I only chose a god power in mistlands, and it was eikthyr.

You also choose to not have events when you don't kill bosses

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

If you just don't play, you can skip right to the end and uninstall, scrubs

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Magmarashi posted:

If you just don't play, you can skip right to the end and uninstall, scrubs

We have several players on our server with varying amounts of free time to build their poo poo, I don't want to ruin their fun by having a bunch of trolls and fulings show up when they're on doing their own thing

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jusupov posted:

We have several players on our server with varying amounts of free time to build their poo poo, I don't want to ruin their fun by having a bunch of trolls and fulings show up when they're on doing their own thing

The way some people get around this is they have a second map they only use to defeat the bosses. The boss/mob progression is world based, not user based. That way you can have the best of both worlds. Obviously someone would have to scout for boss stones/trader location (or use one of the online map tools to discover those locations) but other than that it would help you do what you want. You could buy all the ymir flesh you want from the 2nd world to make your sick weapons, and bring over the boss items from that world to your main one.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It costs a ton of stone, but you can build your poo poo on a raised platform of earth and you become essentially immune to almost all mobs. That's how I built my big central base in the plains. The flying mobs are all weak, I get maybe one death skeeto every six or seven game hours that manages to get up there. If you're high enough up the seekers can't get up there either and they just wander around outside your base killing other mobs until they get whittled down.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 14, 2022

Krul
May 20, 2015

is that you, blizzard?

Eifert Posting posted:

It costs a ton of stone, but you can build your poo poo on a raised platform of earth and you become essentially immune to almost all mobs. That's how I built my big central base in the plains. The flying mobs are all weak, I get maybe one death skeeto every six or seven game hours that manages to get up there. If you're high enough up the seekers can't get up there either and they just wander around outside your base killing other mobs until they get whittled down.

you got any photos?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That amount of terrain fuckery can be pretty hard on performance though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also sounds way more tedious than just dealing with the occasional mob that wanders in from outside the no-spawn zone

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

anatomi posted:

That amount of terrain fuckery can be pretty hard on performance though.

This has largely been solved, depending on scale. If you're building a base that goes to the horizon in every direction, yeah it'll still slow down. But if you've got a typical base with large storage, individual rooms/buildings for players, wolf/boar/lox pasture, big farm and some fancy bits it's no problem.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Really? That's awesome!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The real thing loving performance in the Mistlands patch apparently is the fish jumping around everywhere.

Game runs the worst it ever has on our server :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was initially so happy that our new base ran close to 60fps, but then we built a big stone hall, and... Yeah, I'm down to 30 at best, 15 at worst.

I'm using my Steam deck; are there any performance tips anyone can give me?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah - we have a moderately big base area and it's slugglish. 35ish FPS when I get 90+ out and about in the black forest. I think the biggest factor may be the wolf guards and boar pits we have- the presence of creatures seems to be the biggest fps variable but that's just anecdotal.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
A good portion of our people playing together almost started Bonemass last night. One of the initial starting group said he'd be be online and ready to go as soon as he got back from the gym. At 10pm the one dad of the group went to bed and we trickled out shortly after, having waited to our limit. We almost started the fight. So close.

Not knowing about the Stagbreaker trick before I ran around some more in a small mountain biome trying really hard to only die every once in a while. I was rewarded with two silver capes and 20 or so more ingots. I'd feel dirty skipping ahead like this if I hadn't spent 2-3 hours just messing around on that mountain over the past week.

You can search the thread since I may be way off, but I think mass leveling of the ground has caused these performance issues since launch. Also reboot your dedicated servers often.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get fewer frames around my base but it's not really necessary to run super smooth there

I'd say it's about 30 frames.

Up until a couple of hours of gameplay ago I would have told you the crossbow is utterly useless, But then I realized it's the perfect tool for getting rabbit meat.

Edit: It seems like there should be some way to have the game relearn topography. Periodically so it's not constantly having to struggle to remember terraforming.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Has anyone gotten valheim plus running on a server once things are established? I had to take a trip when we got ours up and running so right now its vanilla. A few of the players don't use mods often either so I'm a bit leery of loving with things.

Seems like its a real simple install of the Valheim+ files into the directory for everyone using the server, and then the server owner can modify the values.

I use survivalservers.com if that matters.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, has there ever been a definitive "we fixed the topography issue" post or patch note from the devs? I've seen a couple people make that claim in this thread but I've never seen it supported by anything official.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, the 0.150.3 patch notes have it.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/5411613798265437192

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's worth saying if terraforming by itself could make the game unplayable then it would absolutely happen around my main base. I leveled a mountain dug a canal and put my entire base on a platform.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Thank you! We planned our base with minimizing terraforming in mind, so I'm guessing the choppiness is just related to the number of buildings and creatures we have. Smoke effects also seem to have an effect as well.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Light sources and/or particle sources are traditionally performance killers in any game engine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Corbeau posted:

Light sources and/or particle sources are traditionally performance killers in any game engine.

That's what I believe is my issue; we've had a trench built around our plains base as well as a lox pen made from risen ground since we first moved here with just a shack and a portal, and it used to be buttery smooth. It's also very smooth when I go down to the river, when the house unloads from my view distance, but the full lox pen is still nearby.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

This only works till you kill yagluth. The post yagluth content will get around that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

This only works till you kill yagluth. The post yagluth content will get around that

"They sought you out"

:stare:

Question about that... Do Gjall's ever show up, even if you built in some other non-Mistlands biome?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gjall raid is mistlands only. I had a seeker attack on our main meadows base. It was not pretty for our 1 star wolf guards.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

concise posted:

valhost.net is $9/mo and worked great for my group until we started self hosting a docker container

Have you gotten the new content in your container yet? I just got around to trying today and the container wont download the new server. I'm using lloesche/valheim-server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

I've. They can't get enough lift to get up to me.