Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The big roadblock is in the middle of the fight. You were absolutely going to win if you can clear that, but you still have another two phases designed only to take your time. That's not good design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
every section is two turns long though

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbh the timer isn't really an issue beyond making it very clear that you can't just infinitely stall the fight. if it's taking that long you aren't gonna win anyway

Possibly I'm weird. The first time I did the new (upgraded) fight I reached Robot Haru just as the timer expired. That was ... frustrating. (Round 2 was a curb stomp as I went in with the right party members and had been baton passing through the palaces anyway)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

Possibly I'm weird. The first time I did the new (upgraded) fight I reached Robot Haru just as the timer expired. That was ... frustrating. (Round 2 was a curb stomp as I went in with the right party members and had been baton passing through the palaces anyway)

Does anything happen if you beat that final phase before the self destruct? I didn't manage to do it, but apparently it didn't really matter anyway :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it can definitely be frustrating and a bit time-consuming if you dont have the elements down to be fair. or if you have to restart the fight because you find out the elements but don't have a good party setup for them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The big roadblock is in the middle of the fight. You were absolutely going to win if you can clear that, but you still have another two phases designed only to take your time. That's not good design.

Literally every boss fight in every persona game is about two phases too long imo

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

precision posted:

Literally every boss fight in every persona game is about two phases too long imo

What about P3's final boss?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh, I forgot how much Mishima sucks

At least you can relentlessly dunk on him without consequence

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Palace 3: Gave him two mooks at the start of the fight you need to whack before he gets into the piggytron, again this is fine and fits more thematically than him trying to fight you by himself like he does in vanilla.

It's the opposite, the mooks come after the piggytron.

The mooks segment can also be quite tough on Merciless, because the boss himself casts sleep on the whole party and will then 1-shot people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1602836796488007681?t=JI17EWWDAzlMeqBGCV8KZA&s=19

Oh, nifty, they're bringing back the P4G difficulty customizations

They're also adding quicksave to 3 and 4, plus a Social Link scene viewer to 4

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 15, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think they're also adding save anywhere as a feature to both P3P and P4G and also a Social Link viewer to P4G: https://www.siliconera.com/persona-hd-ports-will-have-save-anywhere-social-link-replay/

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Weird Pumpkin posted:

"But it's symbolic and stuff to have fourteen phases."

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Geostomp posted:

P3 made the tarot theme thematically and mechanically relevant (perhaps to a fault). In later mainline iterations, it's only about matching personas for social events and the fool's journey.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Geostomp posted:

It's a neat idea but man.. significantly more than two phases too long lol

Especially with the classic "get charmed because you didn't know about it, full heal the boss" and "lol phase 11/14 has instant kill moves and whoops there goes the protagonist"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nyx should have been a 20 phase fight because that song is rad af

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nyx should have been a 20 phase fight because that song is rad af

It is a great song and still my favorite final boss of Nu Persona.

Hopefully I can get through P3P this time and re-experience it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The song is definitely great no question

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. It's by no means the perfect final boss, especially the first time through. It's quite the spectacle though.

The first phase changes should clue you in on what he's doing though. Like when he switches to Emperor you should expect Zio, and when he's switching to Justice expect Hama. I don't think I got surprised by any of that.

Moonless gown making you blow yourself up with no warning is pretty dumb, or getting charmed / full heal.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 16, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The "awesome" part of Moonless Gown is in vanilla/FES, where if any of your party members die the turn order gets hosed up so you can't change their commands and they'll just attack the barrier and blow themselves up

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. After the first time I'd generally try to run people immune to their own attacks - Aigis, Yukari, and Mitsuru. Aigis on support generally just did buffs, and the other two on full assault would just throw their dynes and were immune to the reflect - at least in FES.

The first time I had Junpei who wasn't immune to his physical attacks, so I had to do weird AI / rush manipulation to even have him slightly useful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never fought fair against Nyx Avatar, the threat of Night Queen always made me hit the Armageddon button

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I loved 4, and I’m loving 5 just as much. Will 3 be a safe bet if I have a high tolerance of visual novels and really enjoy the social life parts of the games?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

man nurse posted:

So I loved 4, and I’m loving 5 just as much. Will 3 be a safe bet if I have a high tolerance of visual novels and really enjoy the social life parts of the games?

The gameplay in 3 is a bit more dated. Less so if you play the PSP version. 3 otherwise created the formula they haven't strayed from, and has some better decisions imo. You should like it just as much.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Note that "the PSP version" is coming to modern platforms in mid-January with adjustable difficulties and a quick/suspend save.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

man nurse posted:

The social life aspects will be harder (unless they have changed somethings in the remake). There are consequences to not hanging out with someone in a while. You can double book an event, leading to someone's plans having to be canceled. If you choose the male protagonist, you will have to have multiple romantic relationships in order to max out all social links.

Certain aspects of the fights will also be harder, but there has been leaks to show that you can make them easier.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The gameplay in 3 is a bit more dated. Less so if you play the PSP version. 3 otherwise created the formula they haven't strayed from, and has some better decisions imo. You should like it just as much.

Then again, it also has a lot of very questionable decisions that were wisely not repeated. We should also note that this is the PSP version so it's more structured like a visual novel to save space for the old console and is lacking the post game story, The Answer. Of course, given the quality of that expansion, it might be more of a benefit than a loss.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally finished P5R. Now I can Pokeymans.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sydin posted:

Akechi may or may not be alive, the devs have never confirmed.
so uh i'm running in late on here as i was 99% sure knew the answer to this from a prior playthrough, but a replay on the pc version just confirmed it:
he's absolutely dead. the game goes to pains to say it as much as possible without being explicit. 3rd semester only exists because cognitive akechi comes in on 12/24 to hand himself in, when questioned about it at the end of 3rd semester he says he has a memory gap between the incident in the cruise ship and suddenly appearing to hand himself in then. all of maruki's arguments with akechi circle around the issue of him insisting reality is wrong because he should be dead. the only issue i had with any of this is how quickly maraki must have acted to get all this done between the god of control being destroyed and the MC meeting Sae, or that the writers weren't explicit because this is somehow a question years after release?

anyway after doing that playthrough i had some open questions i couldn't answer: mainly what happens if you try a minimal confident playthrough? so much of the end-game dialogue is focused on all the party links being maxed, etc. i'm late-october with a ng+ file so i'll find out soon but so far i find it interesting who you -don't- need to be a confidant with:

as far as party members go you only become confidents via plot with Morgana, Ryuji, Ann and Futaba. Yusuke, Makoto and Haru are optional, somehow. if you ignore Sojiro after him hinting to talk to him for the first few weeks he'll pull you aside to activate the Hierophant confidant. weirdly Mishima is plot-forced to rank 2. with the awkward school festival for some reason the game had Haru go up on stage? i'm aiming to see 3rd semester so it's technically not minimal, and given Ryuji is already rank 1 i went to rank 5 to get the gym for something to do early-game and decided on rank 7 to make the palaces a breeze. deciding to not touch mementos at all until 12/23 (get the twins fight then leave) just to see how the game reacts - will i have to do all of mementos and will the writing acknowledge the only time i've been there involve the may visit and morgana running away? what will most of my party claim in their events 3rd semester? will i even get there?

i'll make a better list on confidants when i'm done

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

he's absolutely dead. the game goes to pains to say it as much as possible without being explicit. 3rd semester only exists because cognitive akechi comes in on 12/24 to hand himself in, when questioned about it at the end of 3rd semester he says he has a memory gap between the incident in the cruise ship and suddenly appearing to hand himself in then. all of maruki's arguments with akechi circle around the issue of him insisting reality is wrong because he should be dead. the only issue i had with any of this is how quickly maraki must have acted to get all this done between the god of control being destroyed and the MC meeting Sae, or that the writers weren't explicit because this is somehow a question years after release?

Re-watch the end credits for Royal. It absolutely leaves it open as to whether Akechi is alive. The version of Akechi we see in the third semester is almost certainly a cognitive duplicate created by Maruki based on Joker's descriptions. That Akechi is dead - but is that the real Akechi? Or did Real Akechi use a Goho-M, escape, withdraw because he knew his current plans wouldn't work and the Akechi we saw in the third semester was just a cognitive duplicate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
the one in your party for the third semester isn't real because he only has one persona even though we know he has at least two but maruki doesn't know you and him had the same powers

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

the one in your party for the third semester isn't real because he only has one persona even though we know he has at least two but maruki doesn't know you and him had the same powers

But his final awakening does show both Loki and Robin Hood.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man the reaper is kind of easy even without the old despair trick

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Double post but I got through the portion of the game last night (post palace 6) where everyone sits around and talks endlessly to each other to explain the plan to dupe Akechi into thinking he won. I had completely forgotten just how LONG that sequence is. On auto play so I can listen to all the voices I think it clocks in at like an hour of just sitting around and a few flashbacks while they explain the highly complicated plan of: "Use Sae's palace that includes the police building to dupe Akechi. In order to do that Joker needs to get captured, because then Sae will have a cognitive version of him in the interrogation room for Akechi to shoot. We'll listen in on his phone so we'll know who he reports to to uncover the real truth."

They even go back to the part where he mentions pancakes and they were tipped off like 3 separate times to explain it! I know there's obviously gonna be a wide range of people playing this game and all, but I really don't think it needed to be at all that long for people to get the idea. Feels like, similar to Persona 4, they just couldn't figure out how to stick the landing with a big twist

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Double post but I got through the portion of the game last night (post palace 6) where everyone sits around and talks endlessly to each other to explain the plan to dupe Akechi into thinking he won. I had completely forgotten just how LONG that sequence is. On auto play so I can listen to all the voices I think it clocks in at like an hour of just sitting around and a few flashbacks while they explain the highly complicated plan of: "Use Sae's palace that includes the police building to dupe Akechi. In order to do that Joker needs to get captured, because then Sae will have a cognitive version of him in the interrogation room for Akechi to shoot. We'll listen in on his phone so we'll know who he reports to to uncover the real truth."

They even go back to the part where he mentions pancakes and they were tipped off like 3 separate times to explain it! I know there's obviously gonna be a wide range of people playing this game and all, but I really don't think it needed to be at all that long for people to get the idea. Feels like, similar to Persona 4, they just couldn't figure out how to stick the landing with a big twist

You can even talk to Futaba right after to get a bunch of answers to questions nobody ever asked, like "Where was the cognitive Akechi? Oh, we infiltrated the place and stuffed him into the airvents."

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Having just gotten to the part above, the actual plot itself was well-done. It incorporated a bunch of facts about the Metaverse in a cool and satisfying way. But then yeah, they overexplain everything like they weren’t confident in the players and/or the script.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

Having just gotten to the part above, the actual plot itself was well-done. It incorporated a bunch of facts about the Metaverse in a cool and satisfying way. But then yeah, they overexplain everything like they weren’t confident in the players and/or the script.

Given how many players to this day still don't understand exactly what happened, they may have been justified.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Unless I'm misremembering things there's still a glaring plot hole in the middle of it because they never explain how they yanked Akechi back out of the metaverse without him noticing

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer Persona 3 FES to P3P. I like the fem MC more but I enjoy navigating 3d environments more than the visual novel style approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sapozhnik posted:

Unless I'm misremembering things there's still a glaring plot hole in the middle of it because they never explain how they yanked Akechi back out of the metaverse without him noticing

When you return to the point you entered the metaverse at, you're brought back to the real world. I think that's established during Kamoshida's Palace as the exit route for all metaverse excursions, and since there's only one way in and out of the interrogation dungeon, Akechi had no choice but to walk back the same way he walked in. He does feel a weird wooshing or w/e that he doesn't pick up on until just before he goes to fight the crew during Shido's Palace. I think he just wasn't expecting anything fishy so he just let it slide until he started really thinking about it later, which I think kinda works since the pancake incident establishes him as a little careless for just not picking up on small details like that when he's not actively thinking about them.