Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

My current job they asked for the past three paychecks. I told them I wasn't going to send them my financial info, but they said I can blank it all out, they just want the data for back ground check.

That's pretty weird. This new org is a defense contractor, and they didn't ask for that stuff and definitely did a hard background check. Shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I dont think I want to be an SCCM admin anymore

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah
whatever they wanted the pay stubs for they definitely didn't need them for the background check

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super-NintendoUser posted:

My current job they asked for the past three paychecks. I told them I wasn't going to send them my financial info, but they said I can blank it all out, they just want the data for back ground check.

Three paychecks ? That's a loving lie.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Chad Jihad posted:

I dont think I want to be an SCCM admin anymore

if you did i'd have to call a mental health hotline

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

Three paychecks ? That's a loving lie.

I pulled up the email to confirm. What happened was they tried to contact my previous employer, but no one answered the phone or email for days, and they needed some validation of my employment history. I blanked out all the relevant money details and sent it. I also called my manager at my existing job and he found the email in his junk mail and filled it out finally.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've told this story before but I got a call from my last company's legal council on my personal cell because the background check company for my current place found his number and called him directly. Being asked by your corporate lawyer if you're looking for another job is very awkward and puts you in a really poo poo situation. gently caress background checks.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Internet Explorer posted:

But you do trust them to some degree, you trust them implicitly by using their products. You trust the OS to do basic calculations right, to be able to read certain hardware, for it not to randomly corrupt your data every day, for it to be reasonably secure, for when you left click it to do a left click or if you press Z it will put a Z. I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but it reminds me of a time I had a boss that said "assume nothing" and used that to attempt to bludgeon people. We all assume, we all make decisions based on trust.

Windows has gotten better about in place upgrades. Not perfect, obviously. Depending on the other variables, the criticality of the server, the complexity, and the business needs all come into play. If it's a plain old file server, you're going from relatively modern to relatively modern, you have good backups/snapshots, and you have no one who can do a migration... sure, it's worth a try. Is the "right" answer to do a migration? Absolutely. But if our industry was as simple as only ever doing the "right" thing, then none of us would have jobs.

And if we want to get specific about the "right" way, then I would say the right idea isn't to do a migration to the latest Windows Server. Because if they don't have anyone on staff or can pay to do that, then they probably don't have great backups, redundancy, power, cooling, etc. So the "right" answer would be to move those files to the cloud.

So my recommendation is, OP, to pay someone to move that data to the cloud instead of doing an in-place upgrade or a migration.

No I don’t trust a giant software company like MS at all, their own people are regularly wrong about how 99% of their platform works, and I don’t own anything so trusting them doesn’t really need to enter into my personal calculus at all. Calling them out on their bullshit used to be a big part of my job, people who are fans of their stuff tend to be worse at consulting than I am :shrug:

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 14, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you say so. It would be literally impossible to have a conversation around any of their products without some level of implied trust.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you say so. It would be literally impossible to have a conversation around any of their products without some level of implied trust.

I just handle this by having trust in nothing ever. My eyes say I'm writing a comment on the somethingawful.com web forums, but I can't rule out the possibility that I'm actually GPT4 being asked to pretend I'm doing that and when I stop composing this and hit send my ephemeral existence will be terminated.

Well, here goes nothing.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Indeed. I doubt any of you are real, my posting is a figment of my imagination and so are all of you

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

I just handle this by having trust in nothing ever. My eyes say I'm writing a comment on the somethingawful.com web forums, but I can't rule out the possibility that I'm actually GPT4 being asked to pretend I'm doing that and when I stop composing this and hit send my ephemeral existence will be terminated.

Well, here goes nothing.

:golfclap:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Potato Salad posted:

a product manager we have been working with for a couple of months: "what is the most important feature of Windows 11, in your opinion?"

one of my smart rear end peers, responding instantly without hesitation: "the NT4 kernel."

The most important feature is having two separate teams and Microsoft’s solution to the confusion being “instruct your users to click on the one with a blue square and white T, not the one with a white square and blue T”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

Well, here goes nothing.

The physical U2F token exists at a less evolved plane only to verify one's existence in the universe.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

i am a moron posted:

This doesn’t actually prove anything w.r.t. income at all, and I’ve only had a bank and the DoD pull a credit report on me for employment so extremely YMMV situation
Basic background checks don't need to prove anything except whether the person paying for it should now pay for a more substantive background check.

Obviously everything is YMMV.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

He completely trusts MS products breaking in spectacular ways on moments that would be most inconvenient to him and the business.

Same goes for any product really, so design for failure and keep blast radius small.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I went goblin mode last night so I was having a hard time doing anything this morning, but I want to make it clear I never said anything about Microsoft’s products. They work fine. If you want to call that trust fine, whatever. I don’t trust MS the business or anyone involved with MS to provide good directions or understand things ranging from in place upgrades to the way vnet integrated function apps work and it makes it dicey for some of that poo poo because when I need MS I can count on them to fail in every conceivable fashion to help out. So I’d rather just make a new file server

Vulture Culture posted:

Basic background checks don't need to prove anything except whether the person paying for it should now pay for a more substantive background check.

Obviously everything is YMMV.

I honestly don’t know what this means. If you know people trying to back into salaries by looking at credit reports then lmao, most companies don’t pull credit reports in my experience though

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

LochNessMonster posted:

He completely trusts MS products breaking in spectacular ways on moments that would be most inconvenient to him and the business.

Same goes for any product really, so design for failure and keep blast radius small.

I figure that part of my responsibilities as a paid computer-toucher are Professional Pessimism. Design and build for the worst, and be pleasantly surprised with the third backup doesn't have to engage.

i am a moron posted:

I went goblin mode last night so I was having a hard time doing anything this morning, but I want to make it clear I never said anything about Microsoft’s products. They work fine. If you want to call that trust fine, whatever. I don’t trust MS the business or anyone involved with MS to provide good directions or understand things ranging from in place upgrades to the way vnet integrated function apps work and it makes it dicey for some of that poo poo because when I need MS I can count on them to fail in every conceivable fashion to help out. So I’d rather just make a new file server

I honestly don’t know what this means. If you know people trying to back into salaries by looking at credit reports then lmao, most companies don’t pull credit reports in my experience though

I think it's fair to say that Microsoft's Support services have a well-deserved reputation for being unreliable. You will occasionally get geniuses who can understand why certain impossible conditions aren't actually impossible, but it's far more common to get someone with just a little more experience reading the internal documentation than you. Having been burned by needing expert support and not getting it definitely colors your expectations going forward.

And I think the comment on basic background checks meant that they're effectively a true/false flag. Either there's nothing of interest at all or there's something juicy hidden in a filing cabinet in a dark basement, and you'll have to pay more to get the details.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I was responding to the idea you can divine salary from credit reports so I’m not 100% sure what VC is talking about lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got paged for a qa auth issue.

Quite the motivation to update and send out resumes, after blocking the paging number.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I think one trick to MSFT support is knowing when you have a reached a given rep’s knowledge limit. Then I would find a way to tactfully suggest we get the product group or other colleagues involved to raise the chance we find someone that has the knowledge to make headway.

It’s a bit of a misogynistic term but with a company like MSFT, if you dig far enough there’s a chance you’ll find a greybeard or someone that has exactly the experience or problem solving idea you needed.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Had an Azure Container Registry call with the team that develops it, not only were they extremely and obviously rude and condescending to the one (extremely knowledgeable) woman on the call they also absolutely, 100% got everything about how ACR works with private endpoints wrong and would not accept that they were wrong. Their complete lack of knowledge and terrible advice resulted in me having to go way out of my way to prove them wrong and delayed a project for a few weeks. Absolute garbage like usual

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

Had an Azure Container Registry call with the team that develops it, not only were they extremely and obviously rude and condescending to the one (extremely knowledgeable) woman on the call they also absolutely, 100% got everything about how ACR works with private endpoints wrong and would not accept that they were wrong. Their complete lack of knowledge and terrible advice resulted in me having to go way out of my way to prove them wrong and delayed a project for a few weeks. Absolute garbage like usual

This is basically true for most vendors I've worked with although I can't say I came across a development team as inept as you describe the MS team. Before you get there, you usually do have to go above and beyond to show it's actually a bug and not a dumbass mistake on your end.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It wasn’t a bug really, we had configured some stuff that didn’t play right with a teams multi regional deployment of some services including ACR. One of the teams using the cloud infra asked MS before asking us why we were seeing all this latency. Microsoft then proceeded to tell them that traffic to private endpoints using custom DNS was being sent to private endpoints using traffic manager (undoubtedly true for public stuff) when it was really a DNS problem. They were suggesting this team live with the latency because traffic manager was doing its thing. It was stupid.

It’s always the same poo poo with them - their documentation for using azure firewall with private links is perfectly backwards and even after being proven wrong it’s probably still documented backwards. They argued with me for days about increasing the idle timeout on an azure firewall saying it wouldn’t fix anything, but then they changed it and it fixed it immediately. They have no idea why integrated vnet traffic on a function app skips nsg flow logs until you ask a million people (I think they added this to their docs at least). And this is just the stuff I can remember from the last, like, six months

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My favorite is that their first troubleshooting step for function apps is to set the storage account to allow all networks.

Literally never going to happen guys, cut that poo poo out.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The secret is theres no difference between Microsoft and any other company thst develops software they just have the money to invent new weird failure states.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inner Light posted:

It’s a bit of a misogynistic term but with a company like MSFT, if you dig far enough there’s a chance you’ll find a greybeard or someone that has exactly the experience or problem solving idea you needed.
Calling something out as a problematic term and then using it anyway is my favorite kind of "I'm not racist, but"

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vulture Culture posted:

Calling something out as a problematic term and then using it anyway is my favorite kind of "I'm not racist, but"

Thanks for the feedback. It was more tongue in cheek than anything, I was self aware when I posted, and greybeard hasn’t seemed to pick up any heat when used in this thread before. Open to other ideas though if I’m in the wrong!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for the feedback. It was more tongue in cheek than anything, I was self aware when I posted, and greybeard hasn’t seemed to pick up any heat when used in this thread before. Open to other ideas though if I’m in the wrong!

Veteran engineer, senior engineer, guru, expert, etc

Yeah none of them describe the stereotype of some cranky old guy that's been in the institution for 30 years and knows every nuance but I guess that's the point.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vulture Culture posted:

I mean for most terms I think I’d agree, but isn’t greybeard kind of a respectful term (esp in the context OP used it)?

To me it’s basically saying that the person you’re referring to is a wizard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've never used greybeard respectfully

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I've come to view it as an ageist term, but also this:

xzzy posted:

...none of them describe the stereotype of some cranky old guy that's been in the institution for 30 years and knows every nuance...

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

"out of touch antisocial crank" is a bit long though

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I exclusively use it respectively, myself. They rule, and I admire their knowledge

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 15, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't know if the term greybeard has to be gender specific. I feel like anyone can call themselves a greybeard or refer to anyone as a greybeard in most settings. If anything, I am sure there might be a group of people who might traditionally be excluded that would appreciate the moniker.

I could be wrong.

( never used the term as a negative, just as someone who has extreme institutional knowledge)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 15, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What if you just said it was a Skyrim reference when questioned?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What if you just said it was a Skyrim reference when questioned?

I was a grey beard once then took a RAM stick to the knee.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
As a girl on the internet I profoundly do not give a poo poo about greybeard

One day I will be so lucky to have a glorious grey beard of my own, with crawling tendrils infecting the youth with bad Kubernetes takes

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pictures you more as a snakes for hair kinda gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

turning those who have wronged you to stone with your glare