Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigglesSWE posted:

A one-star Letterbox review from Eric of a certain Tim Allen Christmas movie heralds good times for December…(no it’s not *that* one).

Finally talking about the time Tom Cruz got cucked by the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chris not knowing that Friends is set in New York is gonna go on my all timer list.

Andrew: “No, I’m sorry, there’s no excuse for that.”

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wait what? That is absolutely not possible for him to not know.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The coffee shop is called Central Perk ffs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That was basically the reaction of the other three. They even mention Central Perk.

This is on the True Lies episode, btw.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Gonna have to assume Chris is trolling tbh. I literally can’t conceive how he could have missed such a basic detail of one of the biggest tv-shows in modern history.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never watched Friends so I would have guessed Seattle myself.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
How confident Chris is at first before being called out was the funniest part. Then he sounds a little ‘I’m no mad, don’t write in the papers I was mad’

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sorta felt like that True Lies ep was riding the line of being a WHM/WLM by the end of it. The last half of that movie definitely drags but I think they went into it expecting to love it again and talked themselves out of it while doing the discussion.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

True lies ep had kind of weird energy too. Like they were all talking over each other and it didn't feel as centered as other episodes. Clowning on Chris for not knowing friends was set in NYC was a highlight though. I've seen maybe 15 mins of friends and even I know that!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

Sorta felt like that True Lies ep was riding the line of being a WHM/WLM by the end of it. The last half of that movie definitely drags but I think they went into it expecting to love it again and talked themselves out of it while doing the discussion.

Completely agree. I think they probably watched the movie and were surprised to not like it as much as they remember. I know I remember loving it, but I haven't watched it in at least 15 years? So the same may happen to me if I tried.

But yeah, it was mostly making fun of the movie. Which is fine, that is basically why we're here. But I was surprised, definitely not your regular WLM.

I'm shocked to find that anyone thinks the last half of the movie drags, though. Maaaaybe the plane scene that forms the final action scene, though Arnold in a Harrier with the cockpit glass broken is an iconic movie image, to me. But the interrogation scene? All those neck breaks? And the legendary Key West Bridge scene? All aces.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 13, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I watched it a couple years ago, but remember it dragging pretty hard in parts. True Lies cut down to a solid 2 hours would be perfect.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I first watched the movie this year, and I loved how completely over the top and silly the action was, but it just felt so long. It should have ended at the bridge, but then it just keeps going for what feels like 30 extra, unneeded minutes.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

explosivo posted:

My wife and I did a rewatch of true lies earlier this year and honestly we were kind of in the same boat. We both had seen it when we were younger and really liked it but it really is wayyyy too long. It has some really great set pieces but does drag a bit in spots.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For whatever reason, I get True Lies and The Long Kiss Goodnight confused and it always takes me a minute to remember that I really like The Long Kiss Goodnight and True Lies is mostly just okay.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Stephen’s Stephen Lang impression has been rattling around in my head for two days now, especially the way he says “PAN dora”
Good episode

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Vakal posted:

I never watched Friends so I would have guessed Seattle myself.

Which is funny, cause they based all that poo poo on the Capitol Hill area of Seattle, but wanted to do New York because it sounded more interesting. Also Friends was a super easy miss for me, I watched like one episode where Ross fucks over some British lady, and the last episode of the series. My conclusion was Ross was a pissbaby the entire series and people should have stopped being "Friends" with him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jiro posted:

My conclusion was Ross was a pissbaby the entire series and people should have stopped being "Friends" with him.

But then he, as the largest Friend, would have eaten them

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That episode was the towering achievement of movie podcasts.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

But then he, as the largest Friend, would have eaten them

Before or after moping and whining and looking like a dope?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

Before or after moping and whining and looking like a dope?

During sweeps week

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Idk why exactly but the avatar ep is really funny to me and I totally lost it at andrew's "the clumps" joke.

They're also totally right about avatar needing the spectacle of big screen + 3d to really work. I saw avatar twice in IMAX 3d and it totally blew me away. Avatar was the first blue ray I ever saw on my brand new 65" inch HDTV (dlp lol) in 2010 and it did nothing for me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jiro posted:

Which is funny, cause they based all that poo poo on the Capitol Hill area of Seattle, but wanted to do New York because it sounded more interesting. Also Friends was a super easy miss for me, I watched like one episode where Ross fucks over some British lady, and the last episode of the series. My conclusion was Ross was a pissbaby the entire series and people should have stopped being "Friends" with him.

Living Single is the superior 6 twenty somethings living in New York sitcom, and it's unfathomable that Friends is the one that became a cultural touchstone.

Arson Daily posted:

They're also totally right about avatar needing the spectacle of big screen + 3d to really work. I saw avatar twice in IMAX 3d and it totally blew me away. Avatar was the first blue ray I ever saw on my brand new 65" inch HDTV (dlp lol) in 2010 and it did nothing for me.

It's because Cameron developed the technology for super cool 3d that wasn't just "stuff coming out of the screen", then slapped together a movie to show it off. So if you aren't in a theater wearing the glasses, you're just watching the Broadway version of Dances With Wolves but in space.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

DoubleCakes posted:

That episode was the towering achievement of movie podcasts.

Agreed, a real stadium style episode

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Gyges posted:

Living Single is the superior 6 twenty somethings living in New York sitcom, and it's unfathomable that Friends is the one that became a cultural touchstone.

Friends was literally created because NBC wanted a Living Single. It's absolutely fathomable why a "six white folks in an almost entirely white NYC" version became the cultural touchstone.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Inkspot posted:

For whatever reason, I get True Lies and The Long Kiss Goodnight confused and it always takes me a minute to remember that I really like The Long Kiss Goodnight and True Lies is mostly just okay.

Watched The Long Kiss Goodnight for the first time last weekend. That is a bonkers movie that I hope makes it to WHM. It’s definitely one for diehard Bierko-heads.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Previously I had only seen Avatar once on bluray about a decade ago and was pretty underwhelmed. I watched the movie with a tall glass of water before listening to the episode and had a pretty good time.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Like the guys, I KNOW I saw those tentacles gently caress in Avatar and it had to be in the theater because I never watched it on DVD. I refuse to accept otherwise

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I can kind of recall the tentacle sex scene and I've never seen Avatar at all. It made a real hoot back in the day, I remember Stephen Colbert doing a dramatic reading on his show, and I saw enough Avatar in the commercials to imagine what it looked like. Maybe the hosts don't realize they could have imagined it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chapo talked about this when they covered Avatar as well. Multiple places to get the film streamed/rented also don’t have the sex scene including Amazon but there doesn’t seem to be Lucas-esque whinging and a million articles on who or why this is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Chapo talked about this when they covered Avatar as well. Multiple places to get the film streamed/rented also don’t have the sex scene including Amazon but there doesn’t seem to be Lucas-esque whinging and a million articles on who or why this is.

Possibly because no one cares all that much about the hair loving. People felt like the whole "Han shoots first thing" was important to his character, and the anger about the other changes kind of flowed out from there. The hair loving? First off, most people probably didn't notice it's removal. I know I haven't seen the movie since the theater (where I know I saw the hair loving, too). And if they saw it since then, and even noticed it was gone, it may have registered a, "Oh, weird, it's gone", but probably not more than that.

It's removal also isn't nearly as funny as "maclunkey", so it wouldn't have become a meme.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 15, 2022

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah and I think that adds to the whole idea that Avatar is a fine movie that inexplicably punched far above its weight class. It’s wild how much no one cares about the highest grossing film ever. There’s not even a small but loud overly aggressive online fan base like for literally everything else.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Don't get me wrong, it is a little weird how I never heard about it's removal until WHM, of all places lol. But I haven't really heard much at all about Avatar this past decade, except for the upcoming sequels. And I've been to Animal Kingdom at Disney World more than once, that has a whole Pandora section. It's fine, kind of cool, has an awesome ride, but it's not talked about more than, say, the Ratatouille ride.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Yeah and I think that adds to the whole idea that Avatar is a fine movie that inexplicably punched far above its weight class. It’s wild how much no one cares about the highest grossing film ever. There’s not even a small but loud overly aggressive online fan base like for literally everything else.

I absolutely agree with this. I remember, when it came out, there were stories about people suffering from mental problems because they couldn't actually go to real Pandora. But that was back in 2009/2010. I assume there must be a fanbase for Avatar, but I've never met anyone from it.

In a world of openly proud fanbases like Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, Marvel, GoT, Firefly, etc., if Avatar had a big fanbase, I'd think I'd see more of it. Maybe it's just because there's the one movie, and we're about to be smacked in the face with Avatar fans.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 15, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Avatar is a very good movie in 3D theaters (especially in IMAX) and a meh movie on a TV, it relies on its spectacle to paper over the fact that the writing and acting are aggressively medicore.

That's why it was massive on release and forgotten after afterwards, its just not worth watching once it was out of theaters.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Watched Christmas with the Kranks last night while wrapping gifts, and god drat is that movie laser focused to enrage the boys. Very excited for next week's ep.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fishing with the fam posted:

Watched Christmas with the Kranks last night while wrapping gifts, and god drat is that movie laser focused to enrage the boys. Very excited for next week's ep.

I said this earlier, but I love Christmas movies. Total sucker for them. I'm talking black and white Christmas movies, kid's Christmas movies, Hallmark Christmas movies, I'll watch them all. I hate Christmas with the Kranks with the fire of a thousand suns. It is probably the worst Christmas movie of all time. gently caress that movie.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

thrawn527 posted:

I said this earlier, but I love Christmas movies. Total sucker for them. I'm talking black and white Christmas movies, kid's Christmas movies, Hallmark Christmas movies, I'll watch them all. I hate Christmas with the Kranks with the fire of a thousand suns. It is probably the worst Christmas movie of all time. gently caress that movie.

Pop quiz: better or worse than Saving Christmas?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

secretly best girl posted:

Pop quiz: better or worse than Saving Christmas?

That Kirk Cameron thing? I've never seen it. I don't count what he does as movies. They're recruitment videos.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
drat. It was probably the one thing I could think of as being a hard worse Christmas film because uhhhhhhh it's... it's weirder than you'd think. It's actually not as Christian as you think given the argument in it is "why aren't you spending more, dummy"